Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Cloverfield Paradox (2018) S: Mbatha-Raw, Oyelowo, Brühl, O'Dowd — Netflix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Cloverfield Paradox (2018) S: Mbatha-Raw, Oyelowo, Brühl, O'Dowd — Netflix

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-18, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Cloverfield Paradox (2018) S: Mbatha-Raw, Oyelowo, Brühl, O'Dowd — Netflix

I don't think the Shepard "created" the multiverse, it just displaced the two, as in, the multiverse already existed. in the other one history had already happened differently and that crew went straight in to the ocean.

How the fuck any of this creates monsters other than by some quack on a news program pulling it out of his ass, let alone displacing them in time and space, makes little to no sense to me.
Old 02-06-18, 10:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Re: The Cloverfield Paradox (2018) S: Mbatha-Raw, Oyelowo, Brühl, O'Dowd — Netflix

So what are numbers on this thing? Do they track that?
Old 02-06-18, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Is it just me or I am crazy thinking Netflix should have picked up Cloverfield and 10CL to coincide with this release? Seems like a shortsighted decision. It's hard for people to jump into movie 3 if they missed one or both of the others.
Old 02-06-18, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I don't think the Shepard "created" the multiverse, it just displaced the two, as in, the multiverse already existed. in the other one history had already happened differently and that crew went straight in to the ocean.

How the fuck any of this creates monsters other than by some quack on a news program pulling it out of his ass, let alone displacing them in time and space, makes little to no sense to me.
Well, yes. It didn’t create the multiverse. All the independent universes/dimensions/timelines existed in infinite permutations. The Shepard experiment fractured and connected them.

And yes, it still doesn’t exactly explain where the monsters come from. I presume they come from any of an infinite number of possibilities, Morty.

You do raise a good point I forgot to ask about though: what exactly is the Cloverfield Paradox? Stambler carries on about monsters, but never explains the paradox. I guess we have to read his book.
Old 02-07-18, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 212 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
So what are numbers on this thing? Do they track that?
Netflix knows, -and they tell you when it goes their way.
Old 02-07-18, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I treated this like an episode of Black Mirror.. the first half was very good then things went bad quick... limped in to the finish
Old 02-07-18, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

This. IMO, this is reinforced by the past/future ads on Netflix and:

I enjoyed this and I think some of the nitpicks and criticisms are rather ridiculous. OMG, the monster was taller than the clouds! (You do realize clouds are not only at one static height up in the sky, right?)

It wasn’t an A-list blockbuster, but it had a great cast, excellent production values, and a passable script. It could have benefitted from another pass on the script and possibly another 30 minutes to better build suspense and the “horror” elements.

Stop trying to think of this as a series and consider it an anthology. It works much better that way.
Agree with all of this. Watched it last night. Nice little time-waster. I thought the parallels were pretty obvious between all movies.
Old 02-07-18, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
The entire premise of the film is based on what CERN does with the large hadron collider. The conspiracy is that they are trying to tap into dark matter which is allegedly known to show nothing but negative affects.

There is some rumor that anti-matter was stored at a college and it was turning people crazy or something........but yeah, this film is literally based off that exact concept - I thought that part of it was pretty fun.
Old 02-07-18, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In an interesting twist ... installment #4 has already wrapped and comes out this fall. It was announced today that part 5 was actually released 30 years ago and will begin filming next spring.

OK, seriously ... an interesting “something” I saw in the film but have not seen mentioned anywhere ... the foosball table has players wearing red uniforms and players wearing blue uniforms. In the scene where the players spin uncontrollably, once the spinning stops we see one of the teams is wearing yellow uniforms.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 02-07-18 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-07-18, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

well then, I guess 10 cloverfield lane makes perfect sense now.
Old 02-07-18, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

An interesting article on the good and the bad ... https://www.cbr.com/cloverfield-paradox-pros-cons/

Some excerpts:

The Cloverfield series is an ingenius Trojan Horse for original stories in a film market scared of them.
Much of The Cloverfield Paradox isn’t too far off from the roller coaster-style thrills of the original Cloverfield. If it were the first sequel (or prequel, whatever), there might not be the same sense of disappointment, at least to the same degree. Unfortunately for this third installment, the second, 10 Cloverfield Lane, was one of the tightest thrillers in recent memory, and this movie looks weak in comparison.
It’s at this point the movie is able to make best use of its multiverse premise, by using it as a means to explore guilt and regret. Ava ultimately decides it’s better to face her problems in her own world rather than hide from them in another world. Before she goes, she sends a message to the other world’s version of herself. Gugu Mbatha-Raw’s acting in this scene is honestly more affecting than any of Sandra Bullock’s in Gravity. Had the overall script been better, this could have been a sci-fi tearjerker performance on par with Amy Adams in Arrival.
For all its flaws, The Cloverfield Paradox is the sort of movie that absolutely would benefit from big screen viewing: it’s a commercially-minded science fiction horror spectacle that would be fun to watch with a crowd. It might have also been more fairly reviewed if not attached to the whole “Netflix is revolutionizing and/or ruining cinema” narrative that’s been the big cinephile debate of the past few years.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 02-07-18 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-07-18, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Watched it today.

Really lumped to the end, third act was a bore.

The Earth stuff might have been a better movie.

Take out the cloud monster and the one the guy sees walking in the dust at the destroyed hospital and it’s any other regular movie.

I don’t know why they don’t make a direct follow up to the first one instead of these quasi-sequel things that barely have anything to do with the original.
The following users liked this post:
mikehunt (11-02-22)
Old 02-07-18, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

"The Cloverfield series is an ingenius Trojan Horse for original stories in a film market scared of them. "

Sorry, but a film market is open to a lot of these ideas. Shit, the damn thing felt like a black mirror episode for a brief second until it just became boring. Even polished, this would have been a bad theater release. the market isn't afraid of stuff like this, it just has to be done better.
Old 02-08-18, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Watched it today.

Really lumped to the end, third act was a bore.

The Earth stuff might have been a better movie.

Take out the cloud monster and the one the guy sees walking in the dust at the destroyed hospital and it’s any other regular movie.

I don’t know why they don’t make a direct follow up to the first one instead of these quasi-sequel things that barely have anything to do with the original.
Yeah, I'm with you. This was a movie about some experiment gone wrong, took way too long to get there and then BOOM, cloud monster = Cloverfield!.
We could have had a 20 second screen crawl about the failed Shepherd experiment and gotten a true Cloverfield sequel / prequel... instead we got any sci-fi story tied together by 5 seconds of a monster.
The same is true for 10 Cloverfield Lane... a tight movie, but was only "Cloverfield" because you throw a couple monsters in at the end? Hell, if Driving Miss Daisy had a monster pop up at the end, could that be Cloverfield too?
Old 02-08-18, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Cloverfield Paradox: How All 3 Movies Are Connected
Breaking down every connection in the Cloverfield movies and how Netflix’s The Cloverfield Paradox explains the origin of the monster. Spoiler alert!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mqRl4kxkd0A?rel=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-09-18, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Interesting recap, but The Beast from Two Thousand Fathoms?

Last edited by Brian T; 02-09-18 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-10-18, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I don't think they want to make a true Cloverfield sequel as I don't think they have any clue as to what they would do in the movie. Would it be a traditional movie and not a shaky cam film? Would it pick up right after the original? Would we see the bigger monster or would it be the "baby" monster from the first film? A lot of things that I don't think they care to figure out and instead want to bank of tangential at best movies from what they established in 2008. I'd love to see a sequel and would be willing to come back and eat crow if it happens.
Old 02-10-18, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I don't think they want to make a true Cloverfield sequel as I don't think they have any clue as to what they would do in the movie. Would it be a traditional movie and not a shaky cam film? Would it pick up right after the original? Would we see the bigger monster or would it be the "baby" monster from the first film? A lot of things that I don't think they care to figure out and instead want to bank of tangential at best movies from what they established in 2008. I'd love to see a sequel and would be willing to come back and eat crow if it happens.

If they wanted to go the linear route I'd rather that they make a sequel to Cloverfield Lane and see where Winstead's character went off to -- Houston, right? At least there you'd have people fighting spaceships and more compact monsters. With Godzilla, King Kong, etc., then this new monster -- it seems like giant monster overkill at the moment.
Old 02-10-18, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Another War of the Worlds? I got that vibe from the last five minutes of 10CL. The problem is not they have created multiple dimensions and can continue to throw new, weird stuff at as and bypass creating a second of any of the previously made films.
Old 02-10-18, 04:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished it. Man, I woulda been pissed if I actually drove to my local movie theatre and paid the ten dollars to actually watch this thing.

--
Old 02-10-18, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Azor Ahai
Just finished it. Man, I woulda been pissed if I actually drove to my local movie theatre and paid the ten dollars to actually watch this thing.

--
I've read this kind of comment a few times, I almost feel like Netflix bailed out the entire franchise and not just this entry

Edit: Ah crap I already said that. But yeah. That.
Old 02-10-18, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts

So Cloverfield 4: Overlord is coming this October and will take place during WW2, on d-day.
Old 02-10-18, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just watched this and looks like I'm in the minority that dug it.

Sure, the third act begins to suffer from "Sunshine" syndrome and it goes to cliche places I didn't care to see, but overall I liked all the weird dimensional stuff. It opened up the rules and let things play loose because who the hell would be able to explain any of this in real life anyway?

As for the Cloverfield connection... eh, whatever. Connect them. Fine. I enjoyed the majority of what this specific film showed me, and while the Earth scenes added little and the connective tissue tenuous at best, I'm digging this weird little universe Bad Robot is building.

Bring on the next one.
Old 02-11-18, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Why are you willing to accept 10CL as its own thing, but not this one? The connection you name is the same as the connection of 10CL (which I don’t agree with in either case, but I’m going with it for your statement). There isn’t “a”connection (a monster, a person, etc.), this movie is the connection in that the events in it fractured every reality. It caused the other movies, but none of them are in sequence.
Because this one was pretty much sold as having a direct relation to the original.
Old 02-11-18, 11:04 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I enjoyed it, but I am a sucker for space horror. The cloverfield connection was tenuous at best. But for something that was essentially free, it entertained me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.