Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Cloverfield Paradox (2018) S: Mbatha-Raw, Oyelowo, Brühl, O'Dowd — Netflix

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Cloverfield Paradox (2018) S: Mbatha-Raw, Oyelowo, Brühl, O'Dowd — Netflix

Old 02-05-18, 10:41 AM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts
Re: The Cloverfield Paradox (2018) S: Mbatha-Raw, Oyelowo, Brühl, O'Dowd — Netflix

Getting skewered:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the...rfield_paradox
Old 02-05-18, 10:52 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: The Cloverfield Paradox (2018) S: Mbatha-Raw, Oyelowo, Brühl, O'Dowd — Netflix

Stuckmann was generous. The performances were laughably bad for the most part. Didn’t care about a single character.
Old 02-05-18, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

What was up with the character speaking Mandarin and everyone else just going along with it?
Old 02-05-18, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
What was up with the character speaking Mandarin and everyone else just going along with it?
I guess it takes place in the Firefly verse?
Old 02-05-18, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
With a non-theatrical drop like this, what did you expect from the critics? Completely goes against the standard release narrative.
Old 02-05-18, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Just finished it. It was ok. Nothing special. Nice effects and I did get a bit of the Event Horizon vibe, but definitely watchable. I guess this one takes place before Cloverfield 1, right? I'm still looking forward to part 4 in the fall, though.
Does it take place before? I mean, they wrote themselves their deus ex machina in that one scientist who literally was warning that the machine could displace monsters and demons in both time and space. Soooo, i mean, you would think that if energy crisis was happening during the first film it would be a bigger deal in new york.
Old 02-05-18, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
With a non-theatrical drop like this, what did you expect from the critics? Completely goes against the standard release narrative.
I think they would be singing its praises if it were worth a damn -- imagine a AAA quality movie being teased and then dropped on Netflix. Unfortunately, this one seems to just confirm the stereotype of delayed/moved/dropped movies everywhere. I think the only real exception to the rule has been The Little Prince.
Old 02-05-18, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 602 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I think they would be singing its praises if it were worth a damn -- imagine a AAA quality movie being teased and then dropped on Netflix. Unfortunately, this one seems to just confirm the stereotype of delayed/moved/dropped movies everywhere. I think the only real exception to the rule has been The Little Prince.
Exactly. This automatic assumption that professional writers are automatically dumping on a movie because it goes direct to streaming is as ludicrous as the "Disney paying for bad DC reviews" thing. A critic's sliding scale shouldn't be recalibrated for a movie just because it debuts on TV. Sometimes Netflix offerings really are less than optimal, including pickups like this.
Old 02-05-18, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

We always dump on studio execs for meddling with a director's artistic vision. If they successfully dump shitty movies, does that mean their judgment is actually good?
Old 02-05-18, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 602 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
We always dump on studio execs for meddling with a director's artistic vision. If they successfully dump shitty movies, does that mean their judgment is actually good?
Well, they've been knowingly dumping shitty movies on us for decades under their own banners, in between all the blockbuster installments and whatnot, including countless movies with even worse production histories than this one. Now they just have a willing receptacle, err, recipient to save them the hassle. Imagine if that existed back in the days of stuff like THE POSTMAN, BATTLEFIELD EARTH, SUPERNOVA, PLUTO NASH, CATWOMAN, SOUND OF THUNDER the list goes on. Netflix would've been pleased as punch to promote the hell out of those for a day or two to get people to tune in, before many realized what they were shoveling.

Last edited by Brian T; 02-05-18 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

It has to take place after the original...The space pod was NOT the one seen at the end of Cloverfield, and its apparent in this film that the monsters are all over the place. Not just NYC. (since the original was first real big sighting?)

I don't think we will get more answers in 4, because that sounds like its way in the beginning of the "universe" (maybe the real origin story)

Cloverfield - First big city appearance of monsters (Current day? 2008)
19 Cloverfield Lane - Maybe In-line/after Paradox? Monsters have spread (2016? I need to re-watch)
The Cloverfield Paradox - "Future" (2028?)
Overload - Origin? (1944)

EDITED TO ADD:
https://screenrant.com/cloverfield-m...ed-universe/2/

Some interesting points. In Paradox, the monster is huge. Higher than the clouds. We saw the "baby" in 2008 and in 2028? we see the "mother" at the end?

http://cloverfield.wikia.com/wiki/Cl...verse_Timeline
I know its a fandom page, but if you think of 10 Cloverfield Lane happening in it's current day 2016, it starts to align. 2008, first big city monster appearance (in NYC). In 2016, there is more but not totally known, and it's not in the energy crisis of the Paradox time frame yet. Someone mentions "near future" for Paradox, elsewhere I read 2028.

Last edited by Chrisedge; 02-05-18 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Does it take place before? I mean, they wrote themselves their deus ex machina in that one scientist who literally was warning that the machine could displace monsters and demons in both time and space. Soooo, i mean, you would think that if energy crisis was happening during the first film it would be a bigger deal in new york.
I guess so. That would explain how the
Spoiler:
monster from the first film is in it at the end.

Someone did mention on here that they basically have to retcon the technology since the first film still had flip phones and this one had fancy consumer displays and such.
Old 02-05-18, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Well, they've been knowingly dumping shitty movies on us for decades under their own banners, in between all the blockbuster installments and whatnot, including countless movies with even worse production histories than this one. Now they just have a willing receptacle, err, recipient to save them the hassle. Imagine if that existed back in the days of stuff like THE POSTMAN, BATTLEFIELD EARTH, SUPERNOVA, PLUTO NASH, CATWOMAN, SOUND OF THUNDER the list goes on. Netflix would've been pleased as punch to promote the hell out of those for a day or two to get people to tune in, before many realized what they were shoveling.
And those are the types of trainwrecks I haven't seen because I don't want to spend money on, but I might be willing to stream them on impulse on a rainy day.
Old 02-05-18, 01:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Netflix - where bad movies go to die.
Old 02-05-18, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Netflix - where bad movies go to die.
Eh, not really. Spectral and Cloverfield Paradox are just, uh, special. I think it may have helped save the franchise by not releasing a dud entry into theaters

Originally Posted by mhg83
I wonder how much of a ratings loss NBC experience from this? They must be pissed off at Netflix if they lost a good chunk of people to switch over after the game.
It looks like roughly zero.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-05-18 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 02:27 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Stuckmann was generous. The performances were laughably bad for the most part. Didn’t care about a single character.
Some are too generous to Stuckmann.

Agreed about not caring about the characters. They were all pretty boring. The only good kinda-frightening scene was
Spoiler:
when they found Jensen inside the wall, with cables going through her.

That was cool, and I was hoping it was a turning point for the film, but... it wasn't.
Old 02-05-18, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

It's about on par with Life.
Old 02-05-18, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

I edited my post above with more info on the timeline.

Is Mark Stambler (Author in Paradox) related to Howard Stambler (John Goodman's character) in 10 Cloverfield Lane?

Interesting tagline on a trailer that was just on FB from Netflix...

Last edited by Chrisedge; 02-05-18 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brian T
Exactly. This automatic assumption that professional writers are automatically dumping on a movie because it goes direct to streaming is as ludicrous as the "Disney paying for bad DC reviews" thing. A critic's sliding scale shouldn't be recalibrated for a movie just because it debuts on TV. Sometimes Netflix offerings really are less than optimal, including pickups like this.
They dumped on Bright and that was actually a good film.
Old 02-05-18, 06:19 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

This wasn't very good and a waste of talent.
Old 02-05-18, 06:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yeah, I like the cast a lot. Movie was something I won't watch again.
Old 02-05-18, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

It was definitely heavily influenced by "Event Horizon". I found it entertaining, a lot of plot holes, but better than the Sandler garbage Netflix has been churning out.
Old 02-06-18, 03:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get how quite a few here still mistakedly took this to be a prequel after watching it. To me it was made pretty obvious and early on that this one takes place in the future, well past the events of the original.

--
Old 02-06-18, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Azor Ahai
I don't get how quite a few here still mistakedly took this to be a prequel after watching it. To me it was made pretty obvious and early on that this one takes place in the future, well past the events of the original.

--
I took it as a prequel, because of that wacky scientist that said something about how that machine could rip open dimensions in all space AND time (implying that the past could get fucked up).
Old 02-06-18, 09:17 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I took it as a prequel, because of that wacky scientist that said something about how that machine could rip open dimensions in all space AND time (implying that the past could get fucked up).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.