Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Doctor Strange (Derrickson, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Doctor Strange (Derrickson, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
4.41%
17.65%
41.18%
26.47%
5.88%
2.94%
0%
0%
1.47%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Doctor Strange (Derrickson, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-16, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Doctor Strange (Derrickson, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I'm probably in the minority but thought the movie/story was terrible. The humor was way over the top to the point it seemed ridiculous. Sure it looked great in 3D with the special effects but it seemed like make up in an ugly girl. The villain was weak and worthless as well. Just not my favorite Marvel movies...maybe the worst made yet
Old 11-05-16, 06:20 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

preposterous. This is easily better than Thor 2, Incredible Hulk, IM2, and Ant-Man.

I actually thought, while being a bit weak, Kaecilius was actually alright. Which mostly lends itself to Mikkelsen than the writing of the character. Marvel really really need to get their shit together on that.
Old 11-05-16, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Can't make eggs Benedict without a batch of cum.
Old 11-05-16, 06:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slop101
Can't make eggs Benedict without a batch of cum.
Old 11-05-16, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgtsnake
I'm probably in the minority but thought the movie/story was terrible. The humor was way over the top to the point it seemed ridiculous. Sure it looked great in 3D with the special effects but it seemed like make up in an ugly girl. The villain was weak and worthless as well. Just not my favorite Marvel movies...maybe the worst made yet
Worse than Ghost Rider? lol Cmon. I actually found the villain quite refreshing as he tried to make his case for his evil deeds. The action scenes were fantastic and among the best I've ever seen. Not sure how they could have improved on the story to make everyone happy.
Old 11-05-16, 09:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Worse than Ghost Rider? lol Cmon. I actually found the villain quite refreshing as he tried to make his case for his evil deeds. The action scenes were fantastic and among the best I've ever seen. Not sure how they could have improved on the story to make everyone happy.

Ha ha yea ghost rider was bad. Like I said just my opinion. I thought overall the story was weak. The action scenes and special effects were the only saving grace. Had I not seen it in 3D it probably would have been worst
Old 11-05-16, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I gave it three stars...I thought it was just okay. I really liked the first hour, but found myself bored in the second half (I've never been a fan of prolonged action sequences, no matter how "cool" the F/X are). I think the problem here is that Strange's superpowers are so undefined and potentially unlimited, he's just not all that interesting as a superhero...he's one of those characters where the normal human stuff is far more interesting that the superhero stuff (Tony Stark, a character he sort of mirrors is the same way).

Anyway, I stayed for the first post-credits scene, but not the final one...sounds like they should have flipped them, as the last one is far more important that the first one.

I did like this a lot more than Ant-Man, which remains my least-favorite Marvel film.
Old 11-06-16, 07:20 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Very solid, great watch in imax

I thought they did a great job conveying the comic and his abilities, not sure this would have been as good a movie 20 years ago without these cool effects

Great casting with cumberbatch

3/5
Old 11-06-16, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Anyway, I stayed for the first post-credits scene, but not the final one...sounds like they should have flipped them, as the last one is far more important that the first one.
I agree on the face of it, since the final post-credit sequence had to do more with the movie we just watched and the first one ties into the next Thor. But, right after the last one, there was a title card that said "Dr. Strange will return", which works better with that last one than with the Thor one.
Old 11-06-16, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

That just seems to be the formula Marvel is going with. The trend with Marvel movies lately seems to be that the mid-credit sequence is most often related to the greater MCU, and the post credit sequence is more directly related to the film itself or its direct sequel.
Old 11-06-16, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 185 Posts

Really enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Wouldn't put it quite at the First Avenger or Iron Man level but pretty darn close.

Liked the new studio logo and I'm sure it was heavily motivated by xmen, fantastic four, etc not being able to use the same logo anymore.
Old 11-06-16, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I liked this quite a bit. My only criticism is that Marvel seems to be doubling down on the humor and jokes, in response to the DCEU's lack of it, and sometimes it's misplaced. Like right after the ancient one dies, there's immediately a joke when the scene should have been allowed to play out and sink in.
Old 11-06-16, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I was pleasantly surprised by how good Doctor Strange was. My entire family loved it, and it ended up being far better than I had thought it would be when they first announced the movie.

I thought they hit just the right tone - serious when it had to be, but the humor was well done and placed in just the right spots. It was entertaining as hell!

4/5
Old 11-07-16, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I was surprised at how true it was to the "Doctor Strange" I read back in The Sixties. I far preferred to the approach Marvel taken with the character in recent years. I'm enjoying the feel of these "second-tier" Marvel films, and enjoyed the balance of Humor and Drama. The villain and his plot are a little one-dimensional, though Mads gives it some heft.
Old 11-07-16, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Me and my brother watch it yesterday and we both liked it very much. I notice that scene from the trailer we not in the movie so I would expected to see a extended version including in the blu-ray.
Old 11-07-16, 08:59 AM
Banned

yeah. Disney doesn't do extended.

also... what scene?
Old 11-07-16, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

There was that one scene in the trailer where the Ancient One had Strange backing in that magic barrier when she was walking toward him. Didn't see that in the movie. It at the :17 mark on the trailer.

Old 11-07-16, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dom56
There was that one scene in the trailer where the Ancient One had Strange backing in that magic barrier when she was walking toward him. Didn't see that in the movie. It at the :17 mark on the trailer.

That is the first time she took him into the mirror realm. What happens in the mirror realm cant effect the real world. I don't remember if the scene there is exactly like it was in the theater but its close enough that I remember it.
Old 11-07-16, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dom56
Isn't that just when she took him to the mirror dimension or did they do it differently in the movie? I don't remember.

edit: too slow. what the guy above me said
Old 11-07-16, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by MScottM
That is the first time she took him into the mirror realm. What happens in the mirror realm cant effect the real world. I don't remember if the scene there is exactly like it was in the theater but its close enough that I remember it.
I'm pretty sure that's exactly the scene from the movie. Different dialogue overlayed though.
Old 11-08-16, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I'm pretty sure that's exactly the scene from the movie. Different dialogue overlayed though.
I seem to recall her going in first and Strange following in the film. But I'm old and my memory is fickle.
Old 11-08-16, 11:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Question... when the Ancient One send DS on his first trip through the many realms, he encounters a giant eye that (in my one viewing) appeared to blink in surprise and look at him, before he was whisked back to reality. Was that supposed to be Dormammu, or was it Eternity? I thought Eternity, my friend thinks Dormammu.
Old 11-08-16, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

it looked like Dormammu to me.
Old 11-13-16, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought the movie was really entertaining, but still rank it below probably all the other Marvel origin movies overall. While the visuals were really impressive and the story somewhat interesting, the movie never got me particularly excited at any point; there were no real moments that wow'd me or put me on the edge of my seat. As was said earlier, the stakes of Dormammu never felt as threatening as it should have for me, although the end "fight" was fantastic and funny.

Cumberbatch was great, and I did also like the typical Marvel humor and one liners sprinkled throughout the film. And i'm glad this was a traditional origin story, since I can't imagine a lot of aspects they tackled as far as all the magic goes being handled any other way. I liked all of the cast too, especially Wong (and yeah, still a little sad about The Ancient One).

Anyway, fun movie, will buy on Blu-ray, just felt like something was missing to make it great.
Old 11-13-16, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Has anyone mentioned that Dr. Strange basically Superman Ied not one, but two scenes. Can we look forward to "Why doesn't Dr. Strange just turn back time?" whenever something bad happens?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.