Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Doctor Strange (Derrickson, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Doctor Strange (Derrickson, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
4.41%
17.65%
41.18%
26.47%
5.88%
2.94%
0%
0%
1.47%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Doctor Strange (Derrickson, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-16, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Re: Doctor Strange (Derrickson, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Can we all just back it the hell up up for a minute. Y'all are just going to let that slide?

Originally Posted by rocket1312
A lot of that can be chalked up to my dislike of Johansson's Black Widow

Ok, resume.

Yes, the Rhodey/not-Rhodey reference was awkward. I don't know anybody who didn't make that connection during the movie, but then the filmmakers have all said "no". I gues this is around IM2 in the timeline.
Old 11-28-16, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally saw this today and was very pleased with it. Much different than most Marvel movies out there which I liked a lot.
Old 11-30-16, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

I saw this last night, and it was decent enough. Would have been better if my pot had kicked in more

I didn't really like the ending though ... I don't understand why Dr. Strange's friend was such a little bitch that he used his time powers. I mean, he saved the whole fucking world after all.
Old 11-30-16, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
The one scene I will mention is the one when Black Widow kicks Sitwell off the roof and immediately she and Cap start bantering back and forth about his dating life. It's not so much a quip, but it is played for laughs and it feels completely out of character for Cap.
My argument there would be that they've already established that CA and BW will discuss things like that "on mission". If they had murdered Sitwell and done that, I'd agree with you. But they knew he'd be okay so they were just killing time until Falcon brought him back up.
Old 11-30-16, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I saw this last night, and it was decent enough. Would have been better if my pot had kicked in more

I didn't really like the ending though ... I don't understand why Dr. Strange's friend was such a little bitch that he used his time powers. I mean, he saved the whole fucking world after all.
Agreed. He's kind of playing the same roll he had in Serenity. He is a man that believes and when his belief and rule system broke, it broke him. The problem is they didn't spend enough time setting up this arc (they had one off comments here and there) but considering they just saved the world and he agreed to the world needs saving, the 180 felt weird.
Old 11-30-16, 08:36 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
My argument there would be that they've already established that CA and BW will discuss things like that "on mission". If they had murdered Sitwell and done that, I'd agree with you. But they knew he'd be okay so they were just killing time until Falcon brought him back up.
Yeah. Cap's relation w/ BW is pretty natural based on how the film starts w/ it pretty much. Establishing a work relationship.
Old 02-15-17, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Pretty good movie with some, for the most part, solid visual effects and the performances were fine (most of the time Cumberbatch reminded me too much of his Sherlock character). The villain once again is weak which is par for Marvel yet I was at least invested in the story. I am interested to see where the sequel goes especially with Ejiofor being the big bad the next go around.

****/*****, (B+, 7.9/10, 3.25/4)
Old 02-28-17, 02:43 AM
Suspended

I had been waiting in ages for a Doctor Strange movie.
Old 06-04-17, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

This hit Netflix. I was excited to see it upon release. And then never got around to it.

Reliable MCU movies. I liked it. Not much to say that hasn't been said.
Old 12-05-17, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

finally watched it. Knew even less about Dr Strange than other marvel characters and found it very enjoyable and it stands on its own with only minor references to the MCU
Old 02-20-18, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Playing catchup on the MCU. As the resident MCU detractor I gotta say, I really liked this one. The cast was phenominal. Cumberbatch was perfect casting. Story was interesting. It had some style to it, something the MCU is sorely lacking (outside of GOTG). Plus, no Tony Stark in sight. It gets bonus points for that right off the bat.

In fact the only thing I wasn't a fan of was the humor. Why does every Marvel character have to be witty and cracking jokes? It felt very forced with Strange. Cocky surgeon? Sold! Wisecracking, cocky surgeon? ugh. Also, the bit with the collar was beyond fucking stupid.
Old 02-20-18, 09:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

The cockiness and collar stuff I thought was part of the comics. Of course it’s been 20+ years since since I’ve read any of it. But some of the humor was forced, like Strange rattling off people with one name. Though I did laugh when Wong started laughing at the end. Overall, I thought it was really well done and I dug the story and Cumberbatch’s take on the character.