Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Angel Has Fallen (2019, D: Waugh) -- Gerard Butler returns as Mike Banning

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Angel Has Fallen (2019, D: Waugh) -- Gerard Butler returns as Mike Banning

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-19, 11:40 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: Angel Has Fallen (2019, D: Waugh) -- Gerard Butler returns as Mike Banning

<iframe width="697" height="392" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l4AQchYSxwc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-21-19, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

It's a good action flick in the series. Once you're introduced to all the characters at the start, you know who's who and what side of the fence they're on. It's not rocket science and fairly predictable, but still an enjoyable ride.
Old 08-21-19, 08:17 AM

Reviews are starting to come out: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/angel_has_fallen/
Old 08-21-19, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Planning to see this tomorrow night.
Old 08-21-19, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Some friends saw it last night and said it was a much better version of Taken 3.
Old 08-21-19, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My small complaint is that I couldn't understand Nick Nolte half the time.
Old 08-21-19, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Finally saw the second one and liked it way more than I thought I would. I will see this. Hopefully in the theater if time permits. .
Old 08-21-19, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Scott Mendelson gave it a positive review. Said it was less xenophobic and racist than the second one.
Old 08-21-19, 03:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Do we have a Stuckman update? We need a Stuckman update! Let's make this real! And Blu-ray.com reviewer liked it. Looks like good days ahead for you Why So Blu!

https://www.blu-ray.com/Angel-Has-Fallen/769634/#Review
Old 08-22-19, 08:35 PM

Eh... it was fine, I guess. Easily my least favorite of the three. I found it to be boring, derivative and cliched (more so than the previous 2). And it is definitely the most light on the action. The last act was cool, but prior to that all it really did was have explosions after explosions with people being propelled.

Also, there are some shots towards the end that are the worst CG I can recall ever seeing in a theatre. So bad that they should’ve just cut them out.

Last edited by dex14; 08-22-19 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-22-19, 08:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Sounds like I'll have to get a cheap digital code - again.
Old 08-23-19, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk God

I just got back from a 7pm show. I liked it. I give it a slight edge over London. The final act was definitely the best with the most action. Yeah it is a little too predictable at points. But at least they didn't go with the cliched villains again. The drone attack sequence was pretty cool though in the 1st act.

I really enjoyed Nick Nolte as Banning's Dad and he brought a surprising amount of humor to it. Even though you could barely understand him half the time. The big explosion sequence was pretty cool. Whoever was in charge of the pyrotechnics of that sequence did a really good job.

A couple of issues:

In the trailer you could easily figure out who one of the villains are.

I did not like the reveal on who the mastermind was behind the frame up plot. He was actually a pretty lame character.

I know Morgan Freeman has that "gravitas" that people like and is known returnee from the previous 2 movies. But, I kind of wish they would have gone with someone different to play the POTUS. Bringing back the Alan Trumbill character felt like a safe choice.

Overall, I'd probably give it a 7 or 7.5 out of 10. See it if you're a fan of the series.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-23-19 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-23-19, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw this tonight and I'd rank it above part 2.

Olympus
Angel
London

I think Nolte stole the show and his scene in the forest was fucking badass, and in Dolby Cinema, holy fucking shit -- the stuntwork was fantastic!
Spoiler:
When he laid down that "napalm" -- some of those dudes flew the fuck out of there. It was pretty awesome.
Old 08-23-19, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
But at least they didn't go with the cliched villains again.
Come on. Yes, they did. You knew who it was and what was going to happen from the first scene. Just because they weren't from the Middle East doesn't mean they weren't cliched.

Old 08-23-19, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dex14
Come on. Yes, they did. You knew who it was and what was going to happen from the first scene. Just because they weren't from the Middle East doesn't mean they weren't cliched.
Sure, but for me at least, blood thirsty private military contractors are a little less cliched than Middle Eastern terrorists.
Old 08-25-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:

Mini-review - Angel Has Fallen (R) - It’s like a 24 movie, except with lots of F-bombs and a bunch of big explosions

Mike Banning (Gerard Butler), the loyal, hard-charging Secret Service agent, is on the run from the FBI (led by Jada Pickett Smith) in the latest chapter of the “Fallen” series. Despite his brave heroics in “Olympus” and “London”, Mike is blamed for an assassination attempt on the President (Morgan Freeman), that killed Mike’s entire team and left the Commander-in-Chief in a comatose state. Of course, there is no real surprise at who is framing Mike for the event, especially given the opening scenes and dialogue.

The addition of Nick Nolte as Mike’s estranged father Luke is welcome. He's a PTSD-plagued Vietnam veteran and survivalist who provides much humor as he gleefully sets off very large explosions as bad guys invade his West Virginia hideaway, He also provides much of the heart, as he not only reconnects with his son, but meets his daughter-in-law Leah (Piper Perabo) and granddaughter he never knew he had.

Overall score: 3 out of 5 lightsabers. A little funnier than the last two, I liked the family threads in this one, but again, it plays like a compact 24 movie, and telegraphs a lot of stuff, like, uh, the bad guys and their motives. I wasn't bored, and they blowed up stuff real good.

NOTES TO PARENTS: Angel Has Fallen is rated R mostly for the constant use of the F-bomb, and for intense violence. There is much gunplay, explosive action, but is not as grisly as we’ve seen in some equivalent films.

MID-CREDIT SCENE: There is a funny scene a moment into the credits as Mike and Luke go to sensory deprivation therapy together.

SHARE this review with friends and family, and LIKE Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies!

Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies is protected under Creative Commons

Old 08-26-19, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I really like Olympus Has Fallen and think London Has Fallen is a quality sequel that's nearly as good as the original... but Angel Has Fallen is a massive disappointment for me.

As preposterous as the plots for the first 2 movies would get at times, the action scenes were so good in those movies that I could just roll with it. Not this time because the action was rather lacking throughout which left the farfetched plot just painfully standing out so much more than in the previous movies. The best thing about the movie was Nick Nolte, who is just great in this, but he alone isn't enough to redeem the movie which I think needed more action setpieces to cover up the plot flaws. The first 2 movies in this series felt to me like good "Die Hard" movies - this one did not.
Old 08-26-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I really liked the first film.

The second film was pretty garbage though.

I'll give this third a chance though. I'm a Gerard Butler fan.
Old 08-26-19, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

This one looks like it was made for a smaller budget, and I think it works - it's got the least amount of action of the three films (but don't worry, there's still plenty) and it's by far the most "realistic" of the three. Morgan Freeman kind of sleepwalks his way through this one, and I was hoping there would be a surprise cameo by Aaron Eckhart (there's not). Nolte is great in a supporting role (there's a funny post-credit scene, so don't rush out of the theater).

I can't recommend you see this in the theater, but give it a rental - you'll have fun with it. It's sort of a "The Fugitive" take on this series. At least they tried something new, so I'll give it credit for that.
Old 08-26-19, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk God

It was reportedly made for $40M, which is the smallest budget of the 3.

Kind of interesting how the series has 3 different distributors. Sony, Universal and now Lionsgate.
Old 08-26-19, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And two different actresses playing Manning's wife. Radha Mitchell in the first two and Piper Perabo in the third one.
Old 08-26-19, 03:52 PM

Old 08-26-19, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 08-27-19, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I enjoyed this a lot. I think it's a good capper to the Mike Banning trilogy and something different for them to try. The biggest disappointments for me was that Butler is starting to show his age, and the movie really only has three action set pieces(the drone attack, the explosions at his dad's and the finale in the hospital). But I will say that the hospital finale was pretty great. I would probably rate this a 4/5. Honestly all the movies in this series are 4/5 for me and this one delivered what I wanted from it and did not disappoint me.
Old 08-27-19, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
It was reportedly made for $40M, which is the smallest budget of the 3.

Kind of interesting how the series has 3 different distributors. Sony, Universal and now Lionsgate.
Sony did not distribute the first one... you are confusing it with our flop White House Down.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.