Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonka (2023, D: Paul King) - S: Chalamet

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Wonka (2023, D: Paul King) - S: Chalamet

Old 12-27-23, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts
Re: Wonka (2023, D: Paul King) - S: Chalamet

I thought it was pretty good and enjoyed the music although none of the songs am I going to be listening to outside of the movie. Infinitely better than the Burton version.
Old 12-28-23, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

My wife and I took our boys to this. They all loved it and I found it to be fairly charming. It was pretty much exactly what I expected from "the director of the Paddington movies makes a film about a young Willy Wonka."
Old 12-29-23, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
This was my exact thought. I did like their version of pure imagination though.

The odd thing to me is that everything that makes Chalomet's version of Wonka charming is decidedly unlike any other iteration of the character. You could argue that he just gets weirder and weirder as he ages or something but this was like a completely different character, and the question remains, why make this? But my kids enjoyed it so...
This echoes my own thoughts pretty much exactly. It's thoroughly mediocre but charming enough to pass the time. And it was nice to have a non-animated movie to bring my kids to that was actually age appropriate. I might be interested in a Paul King directed musical that wasn't draped in pointless i.p.
Old 12-30-23, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

My wife and I just saw a matinee showing of this. I would say it’s not bad but it in no way compares with the Gene Wilder classic.

We both liked the music and I being one who’s not super into musicals appreciated that it was fairly balanced in terms of musical numbers and dialogue scenes.

Chalamet was pretty good though I agree he doesn’t seem very much like Wonka from the books or the other film versions. I understand though that this was made more to appeal to families and maybe him being more lighthearted is because he’s younger and hasn’t grown reclusive in his factory to this point.

Overall not bad but not great. It was a fun enough watch and I’d consider watching it again at some point.
Old 01-01-24, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Magical and sweet.

Yes, that pretty much sums up what is essentially a prequel to the original Gene Wilder version of “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory”.

Filled with wonderful visuals and musical treats definitely written in the spirit of the 1971 classic, this tells the story of the younger idea-filled dreamer traveling to the big city to fulfill his goal of building a factory to make exotic sweet treats.

The dream is not without its obstacles, including a corrupt police chief, three other chocolate companys that actively attempt to sabotage Willy’s goals, and a miserly swindler who uses contractual fine print to trap people into cheap labor situations. This includes a handful of people, including the teenager Noodle, who eventually join Wonka as he strives to achieve his dream.

There are only a couple of scenes that may be briefly frightening for younger viewers, including the police chief dunking Wonka’s head in a trough of water. Otherwise, I don’t recall any inappropriate language or other issues.

I loved Wonka, its music and visual style, and think it has earned 4.5 out of 5 lightsabers from the Old Jedi.

Stick through at least half the end credits to see extra footage showing the fate of most of the primary characters.
Old 01-01-24, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

I don't know what you are all complaining about ... it was right there in the fine print. (Including the origin of the fine print.)

Wife and daughter wanted to get out of the house, so we went and saw it today. Was it worth my A-List ticket, yes. Was it worth their tickets . . . eh.

All in all, it isn't bad, it's just . . . well, as has been said, "Why?" The musical aspects are largely an after-thought and don't play through much of the action (as they should in a true musical). The choreography is great and the visuals are muted hyper-reality that work with this world. It left me thinking more of Matilda than Willy Wonka much of the time.
Old 01-02-24, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

I actually liked it. Thankfully it wasn't a rehash of the original again and a new story instead. I wouldn't mind seeing sequels.
Old 02-23-24, 08:30 AM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

On Max starting March 8.
The following users liked this post:
TomOpus (02-23-24)