Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonka (2023, D: Paul King) - S: Chalamet

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Wonka (2023, D: Paul King) - S: Chalamet

Old 07-14-23, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Re: Wonka (2023, D: Paul King) - S: Chalamet

I think it's because The Great Glass Elevator has none of the candy factory stuff of the original story. It's a space story, fighting aliens. If they made it, audiences would react to it the same way people did to the Michael Myer-less Halloween III. I can already hear Milhouse crying, "When are they getting back to the chocolate factory?"
Old 07-14-23, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 973 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Here’s what I don’t get : If you really wanted to go back to that particular IP, there’s a sequel, written by Roald Dahl that’s never been adapted into a film, just sitting there. Why not make that story instead of this one? Must be a weird rights issue.
More like a weird book issue.
Old 07-14-23, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,459 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Full view:

For comparison, Gene Wilder's Wonka:

The colors seem darker and muted, and the clothes worn and frayed. It's like Charles Dickens's Willy Wonka
People who watched Gene Wilder before they read the book prefer the swinging sixties version of Willy Wonka.
Old 07-14-23, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,184 Likes on 4,212 Posts

My daughter pointed out that Chalemet is dressed more like Gonzo in Muppets Christmas Carol than Gene Wilder.

Old 07-15-23, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 625 Posts

Ugh, that trailer looks pretty awful to me. Chalamet isn't doing anything for me, and the tone feels off. I'm sure I'll watch it at some point because I loved the books as a kid--I even bought copies of the old original versions a few years ago and reread them. The Burton version got a lot right, with the big exception of Depp's childlike Wonka which almost ruins it for me.
Old 10-12-23, 12:20 PM

Received 4,563 Likes on 3,097 Posts

Only in theaters December 15.

Based on the extraordinary character at the center of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Roald Dahl’s most iconic children’s book and one of the best-selling children’s books of all time, “Wonka” tells the wondrous story of how the world’s greatest inventor, magician and chocolate-maker became the beloved Willy Wonka we know today.

From Paul King, writer/director of the “Paddington” films, David Heyman, producer of “Harry Potter,” “Gravity,” “Fantastic Beasts” and “Paddington,” and producers Alexandra Derbyshire (the “Paddington” films, “Jurassic World: Dominion”) and Luke Kelly (“Roald Dahl’s The Witches”), comes an intoxicating mix of magic and music, mayhem and emotion, all told with fabulous heart and humor.  Starring Timothée Chalamet in the title role, this irresistibly vivid and inventive big screen spectacle will introduce audiences to a young Willy Wonka, chock-full of ideas and determined to change the world one delectable bite at a time—proving that the best things in life begin with a dream, and if you’re lucky enough to meet Willy Wonka, anything is possible.

Starring alongside Chalamet are Calah Lane (“The Day Shall Come”), Emmy and Peabody Award winner Keegan-Michael Key (“The Prom,” “Schmigadoon”), Paterson Joseph (“Vigil,” “Noughts + Crosses”), Matt Lucas (“Paddington,” “Little Britain”), Mathew Baynton (“The Wrong Mans,” “Ghosts”), Oscar nominee Sally Hawkins (“The Shape of Water,” the “Paddington” films, “Spencer”), Rowan Atkinson (the “Johnny English” and “Mr. Bean” films, “Love Actually”), Jim Carter (“Downton Abbey”), with Oscar winner Olivia Colman (“The Favourite,” “The Lost Daughter”) and Hugh Grant (“Paddington 2,” “A Very English Scandal”). The film also stars Natasha Rothwell (“White Lotus,” “Insecure”), Rich Fulcher (“Marriage Story,” “Disenchantment”), Rakhee Thakrar (“Sex Education,” “Four Weddings and a Funeral”), Tom Davis (“Paddington 2,” “King Gary”) and Kobna Holdbrook-Smith (“Paddington 2,” “Zack Snyder’s Justice League,” “Mary Poppins Returns”).

Simon Farnaby (“Paddington 2”) & Paul King wrote the screenplay, based on a story by King and characters created by Roald Dahl. Michael Siegel, Cate Adams, Rosie Alison and Tim Wellspring are serving as executive producers. King’s behind-the-scenes creative team includes director of photography Chung-Hoon Chung (“Last Night in Soho,” “Ah-ga-ssi”); Oscar-nominated production designer Nathan Crowley (“Tenet,” “Dunkirk”); editor Mark Everson (the “Paddington” films); Oscar-winning costume designer Lindy Hemming (the “Paddington” films, “Topsy-Turvy”); and composer Joby Talbot (the “Sing” films). Neil Hannon of the band The Divine Comedy is writing original songs for the film.

Warner Bros. Pictures Presents, in Association with Village Roadshow Pictures, a Heyday Films Production, a Paul King Confection, “Wonka,” set to open in theaters and in IMAX internationally beginning 6 December 2023 and in North America on December 15, 2023; it will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures.
Old 10-12-23, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Full view:

For comparison, Gene Wilder's Wonka:

The colors seem darker and muted, and the clothes worn and frayed. It's like Charles Dickens's Willy Wonka

I do like many others in the cast, and like Chalamet, as well, but this role for him is not grabbing me.

I will watch it at home, but definitely won't go to the theatre for it.
Old 10-13-23, 10:36 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Charisma free candies by Wonka. No thank you.
Old 12-04-23, 05:58 PM

Reviews coming in: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wonka
Old 12-04-23, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't trust Rotten Tomatoes after John Wick 4 ended up with 94% and 93%.

Old 12-04-23, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,635 Likes on 2,608 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
All that meant was 94% of the critics who reviewed it and 93% of verified paid tickets gave it a positive review. It's an aggregate score. I recall you didn't like it, but the % is only a reference for people. There is always going to be a widely loved movie that doesn't work for someone.

and now 79% of these early reviews gave Wonka a positive review.
Old 12-04-23, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
All that meant was 94% of the critics who reviewed it and 93% of verified paid tickets gave it a positive review. It's an aggregate score. I recall you didn't like it, but the % is only a reference for people. There is always going to be a widely loved movie that doesn't work for someone.

and now 79% of these early reviews gave Wonka a positive review.
I should be more clear. I don't trust it to be an accurate indicator of a movie that I will like.

Apart from my hate for JW 4 is the fact that it rated higher than any other JW movie. I just don't get it. Regardless, this isn't the thread for me to bemoan JW 4.
Old 12-05-23, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

All that means is that it was off for you in that one particular case. Unless you start to see more of a divergence in your taste vs score with a diverse range of movies, no need to toss out the whole system.
Old 12-05-23, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

All Rotten Tomatoes tells us is what percentage of voters liked the movie. A shitty movie will have a low score on there. Unless your tastes line up perfectly with the users of Rotten Tomatoes, there are going to be movies that they like and you don't and vice versa.
Old 12-05-23, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Yeah, if you consider the Tomatormeter as the odds you'll like a given movie, a score of 95% means you're 95% likely to like it, but there's still a 5% chance you'll hate it. In terms of pure statistical probability, if you watch 20 films that RT scored 95%, you'll likely hate one of them.
Old 12-13-23, 03:19 PM

Out starting tomorrow.
Old 12-13-23, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk God

I plan to see this on Friday. Honestly, I'm not a big watcher of these whimsical fantasy type movies. I don't think I saw the original or the Depp version. But, it looks good visually and I got a kick out of the trailers with Hugh Grant.
Old 12-13-23, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,184 Likes on 4,212 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Out starting tomorrow.
It's crazy to think we are almost halfway through December and Warner Bros still have three major $100M blockbusters to release this year.
Old 12-14-23, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Yeah it's all a crapshoot. I enjoyed Leave the World Behind and that has a whopping 35% for its audience score on RT.

This has made $43.2m so far overseas.
Old 12-14-23, 04:52 PM

I didn't care for this at all.
Old 12-16-23, 01:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally after seeing this I said to myself besides making a profit, why was this movie even made? I actually was starting to nod off in the middle, There were holes in the movie and I felt as if there were characters in this version that really were just there for no real reason. Enough with trying to make another Willy Wonka- The 1st was a classic and always will be!
Old 12-16-23, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk God

I thought it was cute. But, I can definitely see that this movie is not for everyone and some will probably hate it. I thought it had some charming moments especially between Willy and Noodle. Being that this is the Holiday season, it made me more receptive to it as the theme of the movie seemed suited for this time of year. If this was released during the summer, I probably would have passed on it. Hugh Grant was the best part. I loved his sarcastic smart ass Oompa Loompa. Now I have that song stuck in my head. He only popped up a few times, but I enjoyed his scenes with Willy the most. I'm not a huge fan of this genre, but I think Paul King made a watchable Fantasy-Comedy-Musical. If you made a mad dash out of the theater, there was a mid-credits sequence with Grant and showing an epilogue of what happened to 2 characters.

I'd give it between a B and B-
The following users liked this post:
Dan1boy (12-27-23)
Old 12-27-23, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 246 Likes on 183 Posts

It wasn’t bad but if you walk out of a musical without remembering any of the songs (save pure imagination which isn’t original) then it wasn’t very good.
The following users liked this post:
Alan Smithee (01-27-24)
Old 12-27-23, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 738 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit
It wasn’t bad but if you walk out of a musical without remembering any of the songs (save pure imagination which isn’t original) then it wasn’t very good.
That's what my daughter said. I'm not a big musical buff, but she is. My kids liked the film, but she said that the musical numbers all kind of sucked.
Old 12-27-23, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit
This was my exact thought. I did like their version of pure imagination though.

The odd thing to me is that everything that makes Chalomet's version of Wonka charming is decidedly unlike any other iteration of the character. You could argue that he just gets weirder and weirder as he ages or something but this was like a completely different character, and the question remains, why make this? But my kids enjoyed it so...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.