Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sequels you wish never existed?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sequels you wish never existed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-16, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Sequels you wish never existed?

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
All Halloweens after III (beating the sentiment that "Michael Myers is EVIL!" into the ground, introducing stupid new plot points that make no sense, switching to 1.85 ratio, introducing a comedic music score in a few scenes, I could go on and on.)
After III there was no involvement from John Carpenter.
Old 10-14-16, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

All Halloweens after III
More like all Halloweens EXCEPT III. The second one especially, as it introduces the dumb concept that Laurie Strode is Michael Myers' long lost sister. Changes the dynamic of the first one, where she was just a random victim. That's what made it so creepy. And I'm sorry, you can't "un-know" that and watch it fresh ever again. Sequels CAN ruin the movies that come before them.
Old 10-14-16, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I liked Halloween: H20, but it did retcon parts 4-6. JLC thought the franchise was done and wrapped, however her contract forced her to make a cameo in Resurrection. That IMO ruined whatever good they hoped to accomplish out of H20.

I watched the Inside Halloween 2 hour documentary that aired on Reelz and she said that she initially only agreed to do H20 to wrap up her character arc and the series for the fans. But, she later discovered language in her contract that said Michael Myers could not be killed off (even though he "died" in H20) And her contract forced her to make a final appearance in Resurrection.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-14-16 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-15-16, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I remember that being pretty good. It was 2 that was the abomination...
I love all three and actually really put the second pretty close with the first. The third is really good too but I can see why some may find it the weakest film in the series. Still though I think the trilogy as a whole stands strong.

Some sequels that I really don't care for:
Batman & Robin- too campy for its own good.
Halloween II (Rob Zombie)- just total garbage all around.
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday- easily the worst entry in the franchise to me.
Old 10-16-16, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Ocean's 12. I've tried and tried and just can't get over the cutesy tone and confusing storyline. 13 redeemed the franchise a bit
Old 10-16-16, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

The Hidden 2. At least the sequel did nothing to take away from the excellence that is The Hidden.

Species 2 was bad...the sequels that came after it are better than S2, which is not saying much, but still.
Old 10-16-16, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by MScottM
This true, but with Highlander you get the added glory of being told that everything you thought you knew about immortals from Highlander was wrong and they were just a bunch of aliens.

I cant think of a better way to kill a franchise than to tell everyone in the second installment that the first installment story line was bullshit.
Because Highlander 2 was so bad, I never watched any of the rest. But did they then reboot so that the aliens thing wasn't true?
Old 10-16-16, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
Old 10-16-16, 06:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
The Hidden 2. At least the sequel did nothing to take away from the excellence that is The Hidden.

Species 2 was bad...the sequels that came after it are better than S2, which is not saying much, but still.
What's The Hidden again? I looked it up but not what I was thinking. What's is that movie where the boys conjure up these mini clay demons, and there is a whole in the backyard, the parents go away and all this knarly shit happens, there's a dog and one of the kid actors grew up to be famous, maybe?
Old 10-16-16, 06:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I love all three and actually really put the second pretty close with the first. The third is really good too but I can see why some may find it the weakest film in the series. Still though I think the trilogy as a whole stands strong.

Some sequels that I really don't care for:
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday- easily the worst entry in the franchise to me.
I have a soft spot for this and X. Yes, terrible, but in a fun way. Jason Takes Manhattan was easily, easily the worst...
Old 10-16-16, 07:10 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

What's The Hidden again? I looked it up but not what I was thinking. What's is that movie where the boys conjure up these mini clay demons, and there is a whole in the backyard, the parents go away and all this knarly shit happens, there's a dog and one of the kid actors grew up to be famous, maybe?
That's The Gate. Pretty good. It had "the man in the wall". That was sweet.
Old 10-16-16, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

The sequel to Dragonheart was an atrocity. A sequel was pushing it since Draco died at the end of the first, but what they came up with was awful.
Old 10-17-16, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99

Came here to say this.
Old 10-17-16, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I have a soft spot for this and X. Yes, terrible, but in a fun way. Jason Takes Manhattan was easily, easily the worst...
I actually don't mind Jason Takes Manhattan. It's definitely the worst of the Paramount films but the New Line films are on a different level of bad.
Old 10-19-16, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
More like all Halloweens EXCEPT III. The second one especially, as it introduces the dumb concept that Laurie Strode is Michael Myers' long lost sister. Changes the dynamic of the first one, where she was just a random victim. That's what made it so creepy. And I'm sorry, you can't "un-know" that and watch it fresh ever again. Sequels CAN ruin the movies that come before them.
I totally agree. On the Halloween III Shout Factory release Dean Cudney mentions that the idea was to release a different Halloween movie each year and each would have a different story with different characters. That way if certain stories proved to be very popular they could have their own sequels off shoot from the Halloween annual movie series. I loved this idea. But one of the Producers who obviously knows nothing about the art and is just concerned with the money generated said it was stupid to step away from the Michael Myers character. Halloween III is an excellent movie with a great story and i would have loved to have seen different stories in sequels, not returning to Michael for one shitty sequel after another.
Old 10-19-16, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Anchorman 2 and Zoolander 2. Both great first movies and horrible sequels. I am praying that Bad Santa 2 does not follow suit.
Old 10-20-16, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

The second one especially, as it introduces the dumb concept that Laurie Strode is Michael Myers' long lost sister. Changes the dynamic of the first one, where she was just a random victim. That's what made it so creepy. And I'm sorry, you can't "un-know" that and watch it fresh ever again. Sequels CAN ruin the movies that come before them.
OK, I'll give you that, but you can still refuse to accept anything that happened in the second movie if that ruined it, just as you can refuse to accept that 4 and 5 (the worst in the series) ever happened.

Shifting gears a bit, I always had a problem with Toy Story 2, which is generally regarded as being one of the best sequels ever. What I don't like about it is the whole deal with Woody being a vintage toy from the 1950s- that was never even HINTED at in the first movie, and there's many things there that would not have existed if he had been a "retired" character- the kid's Woody bedspread for example. (If that had been from the 1950s, it's likely it wouldn't have been in usable shape by the 1990s.) In the first movie Woody was certainly old and outdated and could have existed since the 1950s, but the whole reveal that he was on the same level as Howdy Doody (who hasn't really been relevant to kids since his show ended in 1960, save for his brief revival in the 70s) was something I just couldn't buy.
Old 10-21-16, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Any sequel to a hit comedy.

Can anyone name a sequel to a comedy that was as good or better than the original?

Pure comedy only qualifies and not comedy-action movies or comedies mixing other genres like Scifi or drama.
Old 10-21-16, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Any sequel to a hit comedy.
Would the Hope/Crosby Road movies be classified as sequels?
Old 10-21-16, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Christmas Vacation?

Hot Shots Part Deux? (I guess that's action, but it's total spoof action all the way, so I say it counts)
Old 10-21-16, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Caddyshack 2
Old 10-22-16, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only sequels I wish were never made are the ones that mess with what makes the first films work.

Halloween II - I've always loathed the sister idea. Ignore the fact that this is one of the most intensely dull slasher films I've ever suffered through, but that one idea kills the first film's unsettling slant toward randomly chosen victim.

Paranormal Activity 2 - another shitty sister idea. In the first one, it's all about Katie, almost as if the demon has a romantic attachment to her. The original ending, not the commercial one the studio added in for theaters, further supports this and should've ended the story. But no, the sequel retcons everything to where Katie's sister was the true target, and the demon is suddenly a Rumpelstiltskin wannabe.

Blair Witch - I heard it shows the witch. Fortunately, I made sure to find out before seeing it, and thus I will skip it permanently.

Insidious 2 - the old woman apparition was creepier before we find out she's a cliched serial killer in drag.

There are others that I can't think of off the top of my head. Alien³, however, isn't one of them. I never liked Newt, so throwing her character under the bus was endearing. My favorite of the sequels.
Old 10-23-16, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo

Kidding!
Old 10-23-16, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Screwadu
Would the Hope/Crosby Road movies be classified as sequels?
That was a series of films starring Hope and Crosby as different characters in each film. The "Road" angle was just a convenient marketing hook and an excuse to place them in disparate settings (Morocco, Africa, Alaska, Rio, Bali, etc.). They didn't get the formula right until the 3rd film, ROAD TO MOROCCO (1942). The best of the series was ROAD TO UTOPIA (1945), the fourth film in the series.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 10-23-16 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-23-16, 10:12 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Shifting gears a bit, I always had a problem with Toy Story 2, which is generally regarded as being one of the best sequels ever. What I don't like about it is the whole deal with Woody being a vintage toy from the 1950s- that was never even HINTED at in the first movie, and there's many things there that would not have existed if he had been a "retired" character- the kid's Woody bedspread for example. (If that had been from the 1950s, it's likely it wouldn't have been in usable shape by the 1990s.) In the first movie Woody was certainly old and outdated and could have existed since the 1950s, but the whole reveal that he was on the same level as Howdy Doody (who hasn't really been relevant to kids since his show ended in 1960, save for his brief revival in the 70s) was something I just couldn't buy.
I have Empire Strikes Back sheets on my bed. Pottery Barn sells them. They're recreations. But if I had a complete set of Empire action figs, mint in box, from 1980, that would be a toy collector's dream.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.