Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney's Aladdin (2019, D: Ritchie) S: Will Smith, Mena Massoud, Naomi Scott

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney's Aladdin (2019, D: Ritchie) S: Will Smith, Mena Massoud, Naomi Scott

Old 03-12-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Disney's Aladdin (2019, D: Ritchie) S: Will Smith, Mena Massoud, Naomi Scott

For me Smithís Genie essentially feels like heís just playing himself, which is something I think he does a lot and why Iím not always a fan of his. Iím also not impressed with his singing on Friend Like Me in the trailer. I know itís only a snippet, but it doesnít sound like Iíd expect it to. I realize itíll be different than the classic version but it just doesnít do it for me so far.
Old 03-12-19, 12:21 PM

Re: Disney's Aladdin (2019, D: Ritchie) S: Will Smith, Mena Massoud, Naomi Scott

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
Naomi Scott looks hot, but other than that...
Yup.
Old 03-12-19, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
For me Smithís Genie essentially feels like heís just playing himself.
"Make me a prince."

A Fresh Prince?
Old 03-12-19, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed, Jasmine has always been my favorite princess, and I am very satisfied with this casting.
Old 03-12-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like the last Power Rangers movie...
Old 03-12-19, 01:42 PM

'Aladdin': Alan Tudyk to Voice Iago (Exclusive)
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...e-iago-1194074
Old 03-12-19, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
That looks really bad. Almost looks TV quality...like it is the next season of Once Upon a Time...

I can't believe Disney will practically reshoot an entire Star War movies with a new director, but will release a subpar live action version of one of their most beloved properties. I got to think there is something here...
If you had told me this was a promo for a new Fox "live" series musical, I would have believed you.
Old 03-12-19, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery....This trailer doesnít help things any. And the guy who plays Jafar doesnít have that cool deep sinister voice like in the original. For the life of me, I donít know why Smith was cast as the genie. It just doesnít work.
Old 03-12-19, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
That looks really bad. Almost looks TV quality...like it is the next season of Once Upon a Time...
It looks so flat and overexposed. Like and ABC Studios TV production.
​​​​​​That's exactly what I was thinking for most of the trailer.
But it looks a lot better once "A Whole New World" started playing. The music, combined with the scenes at night, and some of the crazier action from the climax make it look good.
Blue Will Smith looks better here, and I like the idea that they'll alternate between him being blue, and looking like a regular guy.
The casting for Jasmine is great. For everyone else...it's whatever.

It's just so weird to me that they're making live action movies of their classic animated features and yet they still have an unbelievable cartoony look to them. And not only that, but that they repeat the same, exact sequences, and musical numbers.
I suppose they do that to give their live-action films a branded look that separates them from from the non-Disney live action films like Snow White and the Huntsman, and New World.
Old 03-12-19, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is this going to be 3D? It looked like every other shot in that trailer had something flying at the screen or flying through the air, the laziest type of 3D.

And ive said it before but it boggles my mind that Guy Ritchie still gets work based on his mostly atrocious output for the majority of his career.
Old 03-12-19, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Ritchie has a decent output. Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch, and Sherlock Holmes are all good. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows isnít as good but still alright. I also really liked The Man From U.N.C.L.E..
Old 03-12-19, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After seeing the teaser and the trailer, I’m still wondering why they didn’t go the digital route with the Genie.
Old 03-12-19, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm still on board. They could've gone with Kevin Hart for the genie so I don't mind Big Willie. And at first I didn't think Jafar was too menacing, but when you think about it, he shouldn't be. This is someone Aladdin needs to trust enough to go into the Cave of Wonders for. If he looks obviously like a bad guy, then the our main character just comes off as stupid for going along. Maybe he can turn it on in the end, maybe not. I'm willing to see the movie to find out.

Then again, I'm a Disnerd who's willing to sell a kidney to be there for Day 1 of Galaxy's Edge. :-)
Old 03-13-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Jafar just needs to be persuasive. He's the human form of Scar.
Old 03-14-19, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
After seeing the teaser and the trailer, Iím still wondering why they didnít go the digital route with the Genie.
Could have actually used Robin Williams then.
Old 03-15-19, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not impressed. That guy who plays Aladdin has no charisma, can't sing and looks to be in his early 30s -- way too old to be as naive as he seems, poor or not.
I get why people want to see beloved Disney musical classics performed, beat-for-beat recreated live on stage, but why you'd ever want to see them performed by human actors on the big screen is totally beyond me. Especially not-famous actors. What's the appeal there?
Old 03-15-19, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Originally Posted by rennervision View Post
Could have actually used Robin Williams then.
Not for 25 years:

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Robi...els-93167.html
Old 03-15-19, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clappj View Post
"Make me a prince."

A Fresh Prince?
I am actually shocked that Smith didn't say that line or maybe have DJ Jazzy Jeff in a costume waving to the audience as a nod to the duo.
Old 03-28-19, 07:57 AM

Old 03-28-19, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nope. But I'd be happy to rub any part of Naomi Scott.
Old 04-16-19, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw the trailer on the big screen when I saw Shazam! on the weekend and it just looks so cheap for a mega-budget movie. I get that they're going for a colourful aesthetic, but I don't think the execution was there.
Old 04-17-19, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga

So, do the pictures above mean Smith isn't going to be blue after all?
Old 04-17-19, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
So, do the pictures above mean Smith isn't going to be blue after all?
He'll be blue, but changes to a more human appearance most of the film judging from trailers and promo art.