Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Roma (2018, D: Alfonso Cuarón) -- Netflix

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Roma (2018, D: Alfonso Cuarón) -- Netflix

Old 12-13-18, 08:07 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts
Re: Roma (2018, D: Alfonso Cuarón) -- Netflix

This is up on Netflix tomorrow.
Old 12-13-18, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to see this at my local art house yesterday. The list of demands Netflix had for movie theaters are mind boggling. There is absolutely nothing about this movie that requires it to be see inside a theater. This is especially true with 4K HDR technology available in home. Also, I’m not sure if my theater projector was at fault or if it was the intention of Cuaron, but this movie is too fucking dark! Turn the brightness up a little, will ya?

As a Cuaron fan, I enjoyed and recommend seeing ROMA, but I can’t imagine ever being in a mood to want to watch it again... ever. It’s clearly not going to be looked favorably by mainstream/average Joe audiences. If it wins a best picture award then The Academy will once again be criticized for being out of touch. Oh, it’s better than Black Panther.

Last edited by Lara Means; 12-13-18 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-14-18, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoa, I didn't love the movie, but seeing this in a theatre is an incredible experience. The cinematography is some of the best I have ever seen in any movie, and the Dolby Atmos mix is its equal. During certain scenes, I thought people in my audience were talking but no, it was the movie itself. A properly equipped theatre will blow away anyone's home theatre. I think your theatre had projection problems, as my print was perfectly clear and suitably bright.
Old 12-14-18, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Saw this today and it was fucking great. The cinematography reminded me of early John Carpenter especially Assault on Precinct 13. It was very minimalist in that regard. Cuaron also let the camera sit there at times, so as to take it all in.

I saw it on Netflix and I could already tell that the sound-mix was going to be something special. It uses the discreet channels for maximum effect.
Old 12-14-18, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

For the most part, when the director is also the DP, I don’t expect anything too complicated or out of the ordinary because...they’re not a real DP.

But this had a ton of intricate shit going down, in the foreground and background, as well as - lot of little moments. Great job to Cuarón on the cinematography and directing. Saw this in a theater.

Last edited by bluetoast; 12-14-18 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-24-18, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Yeah, this is great, and I look forward to seeing it on a bigger screen if it ever makes it down this way. A bit depressing there's not even been half a dozen review reactions to it so far on this forum.

I don't often think of Cuaron as among my 'favourite' directors when I list them but every single movie he's made I've seen has really stuck with me, and 'Roma' is no different. (Y Tu Mama is still my fave of his, it just really hit home for me.) I love the way the film's scope slowly expands from the very house-bound beginning into some truly beautiful, epic widescreen compositions as it goes. And the lead actress is subtle and excellent. And boy, that entire 'shopping expedition/hospital' sequence is some of the most powerful storytelling I've seen in some time. This reminds me of the best of Gabriel Garcia Marquez or other Latin American writers, with its sprawling yet intimate focus. Great stuff.
Old 01-13-19, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,169 Likes on 4,199 Posts

Finally got around to watching this last night. Agree with most here. It's absolutely beautiful to watch. The Cinematography is stunning - love all the tracking shots.
That said, I didn't love it as a movie. It's really slow and while it's not like "nothing happens", it really does take a while. And it felt that the whole political angle was unexplained (at least to me).
Mostly, I was just annoyed by the protagonist Cleo. She's so docile that she just lets everything happen to her. I didn't really connect with her character at all. Except for the beach scene at the end, she doesn't really do anything and that made it hard for me to care about her. And I'm sorry but the performance felt amateurish to me.

Don't get me wrong : It's a fine film, but unlike Children of Men, Gravity, Y Tu Mama or Prisoner of Azkaban, I don't really have a desire to watch this one again. That kind of bums me out.

I'm fine with this film winning technical Oscars including Director and Cinematography. But if it -- a black and white, Spanish language, Netflix movie with zero name actors -- wins BP, it will be bad for the Academy. This is not the sort of movie that is going to connect with mass audiences (confirmed by the fact that literally everyone can watch it for free today and yet it didn't make a fraction of the impact that Bird Box or Bandersnatch did), and will further cement the commonly-held belief that the Oscars are aloof and no longer represent the movies people want to watch.
Old 01-14-19, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Yeah, I was bracing myself for
Spoiler:
1-3 of the people in the water to die because this was going to be that kind of movie.

On a technical note, how did they get that shot? It's a long, smooth tracking shot (forward and reverse) in the ocean with pretty rough surf.

I love that Cuaron made a movie about his childhood nanny/maid. I hope she has seen it.
Here's an explanation of that scene, which I thought was incredible.
Beach Scene

I loved the look, and loved how Cuaron recreated the Mexico I visited yearly when I was growing up. But like many others, I don't think I'll go back to see this again. I may re-watch certain scenes, but I don't see myself seeing the entire film again.
Old 01-28-19, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Finally got around to watching this last night. Agree with most here. It's absolutely beautiful to watch. The Cinematography is stunning - love all the tracking shots.
That said, I didn't love it as a movie. It's really slow and while it's not like "nothing happens", it really does take a while.
No, you had it right the first time. It's exactly like nothing happens - it's a pretty pencil-thin plot. Cinematography (as others have said) is great - give Cuaron that Oscar. But given his resume, ROMA is one of his lesser films. I can't get behind it for either Best Picture or Best Director.
Old 01-31-19, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

We attempted to watch this last night. I don't know if it's because we were tired from a long day at work, but we flipped over to Bohemian Rhapsody after 15 minutes or so. The cinematography was great, but otherwise nothing was happening to draw us into the story.
Old 03-01-19, 12:28 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I’ve only seen a few of the BP nominees, but this was my favorite. It stuck with me and I appreciated it more the days following my viewing. Powerful, and beautiful film. Didn’t even realize it was B&W until after it was over and someone in the room asked.
Old 03-04-19, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

For me this is definitely his best Spanish language film.

4/5
Old 03-05-19, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Didn’t even realize it was B&W until after it was over and someone in the room asked.
You should definitely consider seeing a ophthalmologist about that.
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (02-14-20)
Old 02-13-20, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 866 Likes on 390 Posts

Netflix has released a 72 min making of documentary that is also included on the Criterion release.
Road to Roma
Director Alfonso Cuarón reflects on the childhood memories, period details and creative choices that shaped his Academy Award-winning film ROMA.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81085934
Old 02-14-20, 04:34 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
For me this is definitely his best Spanish language film.

4/5
aJust saw this comment. Have you seen Y tu Mama? That is way better in my opinion.
Old 02-14-20, 05:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
aJust saw this comment. Have you seen Y tu Mama? That is way better in my opinion.
but, isn't that like comparing apples and oranges? those two movies could not be more different. for Spanish language, i go with Pan's Labyrinth, followed closely by something by Pedro Almodovar...
Old 02-14-20, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,169 Likes on 4,199 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
but, isn't that like comparing apples and oranges? those two movies could not be more different. for Spanish language, i go with Pan's Labyrinth, followed closely by something by Pedro Almodovar...
Y Tu Mama is a Curon film. Pan's Labyrinth is not. And in any case Y Tu Mama is FAR closer in theme and feel to Roma than Pan's is.
Old 02-14-20, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

I'd say that Y Tu Mama Tambien and Rudo y Cursi are thematically closer to each other than anything -- even down to the voiceovers. Granted, Rudo y Cursi is written and directed by Alfonso's brother, Carlos Cuaron. In fact, Carlo Cuaron also co-wrote Y Tu Mama Tambien and Solo Con Tu Pareja, which Alfonso also directed.