Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

You Son of a SHEEP! - The 80's Action Movie Sheep Game

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-10-16, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

You Son of a SHEEP!

We all know the best action movies ever made came from the 80's. Absurd stories, high body counts and great one-liners all defined this golden era of action movies. Time to shake hands, flex those insane biceps and let the bullets fly!

Intro for first time players
Spoiler:

(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions:

The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers. The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like "Name a great color." Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our five players answered like this:

Players A, C, and E said "Blue"
Players B and D said "Green"
Player F said "Chartreuse"
Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The "Blue" players get -3 points (and the best answer). The "Green" players get -2 points.
Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.

The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exact opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like "Name a state on the Atlantic Coast." Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:

Players D and E said "Delaware"
Players F and B said "Maine"
Player C said "Texas"
Player A said "South Carolina"

The "Delaware" players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The "Maine" players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong.
That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

General Rules
Spoiler:

The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
Example Sheep question: "Name a professional golfer." A good answer might be Tiger Woods and a bad answer might be Chichi Rodriguez.
Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a play by Shakespeare." Romeo & Juliet might be a bad answer, but Two Gentlemen of Verona might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive.

The lowest score wins.
There is no such thing as wrong answer for a Sheep question.
Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer.
You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, etc. Use only what's in your head.
Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers, set info, or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 10 points right off the bat.
Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
Sheep questions are marked by an S:, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.

Game-Specific Rules
Questions were something is to be named will be clarified in the question itself. Be specific as you can. Some questions may allow a character or actor name only while another may accept a description. Be sure to post any questions needing clarification.

Any question asking for something from the 80's means a 1980-1989 release date for the movie. Movies produced in the 80's but released later do not count. As we know, there are no wrong answers for Sheep questions, but any movie answer which was released outside this range for a Reverse question will be marked incorrect.

Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:
  • 1 Unique is awarded -20
  • 2 Uniques are awarded -15 each
  • 3 Uniques are awarded -10 each
  • 4 Uniques are awarded -5 each
  • 5+ Uniques are awarded -1 each

Slam Dunks {sd} Players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Dunks ({sd}) which they use by adding {sd} to the end of their answer.Your Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use it on:
  • In Sheep questions, the {sd} adds 1 to the Multiplier.
  • In Reverse Sheep questions, you can use your {sd} to turn the question into a sheep question for you. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing.
  • Slam dunks cannot be stacked. Use one per question only or else they will be discarded. You cannot use two slam dunks to turn a Reverse into a Sheep and then slam dunk those sheep answers.
  • A slam dunk used on a Reverse which winds up being a unique for you results in a 0 score for the question.

Send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself. Answers sent with questions or numbers will get the traditional +10 penalty. Do not forget your {sd}.

I may reach out to you to ask for clarification in which case you do not incur a penalty. If you ask to resubmit your answers, a +10 penalty applies for each additional submission after your original answers.

Here we go!

GAME IS FULL - no more submissions will be accepted unless you have previously let me know you have answers coming or you're a former sheepmaster.

1. S: Ah-nold is in my opinion the epitome of the 80's action star. Name the most iconic 80's action star who is NOT the former Governator.
  2. R: Name one of Arnold's 80's theatrical movies.
  3. S: Name an iconic one-liner from an 80's action movie NOT spoken by Arnold. (Will match answers with close wording but try to get as close as psosible.)
  4. S: OK, now name an iconic one-liner spoken by Arnold from any of his 80's movies EXCEPT the original Terminator.
  5. S: Several 80's action stars were able to crossover into comedy. Name the best comedy (from any time period) featuring an 80's action star.
  6. S: What would an action movie be without a menacing villain? Name the best villain from an 80's action film.
  7. R: Sylvester Stallone has been able to assemble many of the 80's best action stars into his Expendables franchise. Name a star from one of the Expendables movies who starred in at least two movies in the 80's. (A star is defined as someone whose name appeared on any theatrical poster, home video art or any other official promo material for the movies).
  8. S: Speaking of Stallone, you could say he created one of the most iconic action characters: John Rambo. Besides Rambo, name an action character played by Stallone in the 80's. (Need the correct character name to match.)
  9. S: What would an action film be without a rousing score as the backdrop of the insane action? Name an 80's action film with memorable music.
  10. S: Let's get back to Arnold - who's your favorite character from Predator besides Dutch? (I will accept actor names as well as character names but you need one of them).
  11. S: Still with our friends in the jungle, what member of Dutch's team had the best death? (Again character name or actor name will match but you need one).
  12. S: So many 80's action films were hits that they spawned an inevitable sequel or sequels. Name an 80's action film which did NOT spawn a sequel.
  13. R: Now name an 80's action film which did have at least one theatrical sequel (sequel can be from any decade - direct to video or made for TV does not count. An "action" film will be determined by whether the movie lists action as a genre on IMDB or Wikipedia).
  14. S: BLOOD! What would an 80's action film be without gratuitous bloodshed. Name the most violent action movie from the 80's.
  15. S: Can't we all just get along? Name the best hand to hand fight scene or brawl (no guns) from an 80's action film. (I need the movie and and a description of the two participants to match. If they fought more than once, specify the scene/locale).
  16. S: We can't talk about 80's action without talking 007. Name the best Bond film from the 80's.
  17. S: He is arguably the most feared man on the face of the planet. Name the best film starring Chuck Norris from the 80's.
  18. S: Hollywood loves war films. Name a popular 80's war film.
  19. R: The hero can't escape an 80's action film without taking a little damage. Name one of the three original 80's action icons who helped back the launch of Planet Hollywood.
  20. S: You made it! You fought off the bad guys, rescued the girl and walked off into the sunset. Name the 80's action film with the best ending.

Hope to get 20 participants on this. I won't be playing myself as I had to research enough that it wouldn't be fair since I've seen a lot of good answers. Would like to close answers by the end of this coming weekend to run the game sometime late next week.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 08-11-16 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-10-16, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts
Re: You Son of a SHEEP! - The 80's Action Movie Sheep Game

I like the questions but think the challenge for me will be remembering which movies were released in the '80s. Are we talking 1980-89 as the eligible dates?
Old 08-10-16, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
I like the questions but think the challenge for me will be remembering which movies were released in the '80s. Are we talking 1980-89 as the eligible dates?
Yep 1980-1989. I'll go ahead and add that to the game specific rules.
Old 08-10-16, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,169 Likes on 4,199 Posts

Okay I cry Sheep Uncle! So many Sheep games this Summer. Can't we go one week without sheep?

Nah, I'll enter this one as well.
Old 08-10-16, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I mentioned I was concerned about sheep fatigue!
Old 08-10-16, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Can you clarify the definition of "theatrical release"?
Old 08-10-16, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,169 Likes on 4,199 Posts

I would also like one clarification :

Question 4 is a Regular Sheep question with an exclusion. Those are always tricky to adjudicate since there are technically no wrong answers, but especially in reference to this particular question. Could you clarify exactly what you mean in that exclusion (I don't want to get too specific) and would there be a penalty if the exception is ignored?
Old 08-10-16, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Can you clarify the definition of "theatrical release"?
Had to have been released in theaters. So not a direct to video or made for TV release. If you have something in mind that was initially released for TV or video and made it to the theaters in the 80's, that would work.
Old 08-10-16, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker

Question 4 is a Regular Sheep question with an exclusion. Those are always tricky to adjudicate since there are technically no wrong answers, but especially in reference to this particular question. Could you clarify exactly what you mean in that exclusion (I don't want to get too specific) and would there be a penalty if the exception is ignored?
I don't want to speak for bunkaroo, but I think you answered your own question.
Old 08-10-16, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker

Basically trying to eliminate what would be a near-unanimous answer IMO which takes the fun out of the question.

No penalty since there are no wrong answers. I've seen these questions before and it's kind of fun when someone answers with it anyway. Even more fun when they match.
Old 08-10-16, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Had to have been released in theaters. So not a direct to video or made for TV release. If you have something in mind that was initially released for TV or video and made it to the theaters in the 80's, that would work.
American theaters? Do festivals count?
Old 08-10-16, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312
American theaters? Do festivals count?
I don't think it needs to be an American theater. I think festivals are fine. Kind of curious what you have in mind.
Old 08-10-16, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Answers submitted.
Old 08-10-16, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

I will give it a shot. The decade was pretty crazy for me. I will spare the details (nothing bad like prison or drugs ) but I wasn't able to see as many movies as I would've liked. I was probably busier than I had ever been. I will submit answers by tomorrow morning.
Old 08-10-16, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I mentioned I was concerned about sheep fatigue!
There is no such thing! All sheep all the time!

Answers submitted. I have a really good feeling about this game, which means I'll probably do worse than usual. Which isn't even possible.
Old 08-10-16, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Not awesome! Not totally awesome answers submitted!
Old 08-10-16, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got about 6 or 7 submissions already. Hopefully that's a good sign for 20.
Old 08-10-16, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in!!! Please wait for my submissions!
Old 08-10-16, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I will give it a shot. The decade was pretty crazy for me. I will spare the details (nothing bad like prison or drugs ) but I wasn't able to see as many movies as I would've liked. I was probably busier than I had ever been. I will submit answers by tomorrow morning.
Tom, I don't think he meant that you had to see the movie in theaters in the '80s.
Old 08-10-16, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Got about 6 or 7 submissions already. Hopefully that's a good sign for 20.
I'm in, but will take a little while to submit. Then again, with my Sheep performances, I should just submit now ... I tap.

By the way, that picture is just not right. Cover up the bottom half (just above the elbows).
Old 08-10-16, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 791 Posts

It's interesting to me that every time someone posts one of these movie sheep games, at least one person needs to have it explained what "theatrical release" means.
Old 08-10-16, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
It's interesting to me that every time someone posts one of these movie sheep games, at least one person needs to have it explained what "theatrical release" means.
Darn Sheep always looking for a loophole
Old 08-10-16, 05:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Great idea for a game. Too much brain power needed for this one however...
Old 08-10-16, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Tom, I don't think he meant that you had to see the movie in theaters in the '80s.
I love movies the theater, though. My schedule didn't ease up until early 90's, VHS movies were affordable, so I was collecting and catching up.

Then I started buying laserdiscs followed by DVDs
Old 08-10-16, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Answers coming.

Hell, I can't do worse than I did in Harry Potter sheep.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.