DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Papillon (2018) -- Remake starring Rami Malek & Charlie Hunnam (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/635410-papillon-2018-remake-starring-rami-malek-charlie-hunnam.html)

DJariya 08-03-16 11:21 AM

Papillon (2018) -- Remake starring Rami Malek & Charlie Hunnam

http://deadline.com/2016/08/mr-robot...en-1201797839/

EXCLUSIVE: Mr. Robot star Rami Malek is negotiating to star with Charlie Hunnam in Papillon, the remake of the 1973 classic film. Hunnam will play the role originated by Steve McQueen and Malek is in talks to play the role originated by Dustin Hoffman. The film will shoot in September, directed by Michael Noer (Northwest) from a script by Prisoners writer Aaron Guzikowski. The picture is backed by Red Granit and Joey McFarland, riza aziz, David Koplan, Ram Bergman and Roger Corbi are producing.

The film is a contemporary retelling of the original, which was based on the memoirs of convicted felon and fugitive Henri Charriere, who staged an epic escape from Devil’s island, a notorious penal colony in French Guiana, South America. The petty criminal from the Parisian underworld was unjustly convicted of murder in 1930s France, and he was aided by Louis Dega, a quirky counterfeiter. That’s the role Malek will play; their relationship starts with Charriere providing protection for Dega from fellow thug inmates, and it grows into a bond and Degas agrees to finance Papillon’s prison escape.

The picture surfaced back at Cannes, with CAA selling domestic and Red Granite International’s Danny Dimbort and Christian Mercuri selling foreign for a shoot that will take place in Belgrade, Montenegro and Thailand. Dimbort and Mercuri are aexec producing with Kevan Van Thompson, Yan-Fischer-Romanovsky, Joshua D. Mauer, Terrence Chang and Martin Hellstern.

WME and Brillstein rep Malek, who won a Critics Choice Award for his work as Elliot Alderson in Mr. Robot. His film credits include Night at the Museum, The Master and Need For Speed.

Rob V 08-03-16 01:57 PM

re: Papillon (2018) -- Remake starring Rami Malek & Charlie Hunnam

I'm in. Loved the original.

Jaymole 08-03-16 03:01 PM

re: Papillon (2018) -- Remake starring Rami Malek & Charlie Hunnam

Glad they got the big stars just like the original.

dex14 05-22-18 12:53 PM

Re: Papillon Remake -- Starring Rami Malek & Charlie Hunnam

https://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/M...4,1000_AL_.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xqj7XOv9mC8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TomOpus 05-22-18 01:38 PM

Re: Papillon (2018) -- Remake starring Rami Malek & Charlie Hunnam

Looks good.

Mabuse 05-23-18 01:01 PM

I’ve heard the original account was all made up. The book is actually fiction.

dex14 08-22-18 06:24 AM

Opens this week.

67% currently on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/papillon_2018

Troy Stiffler 08-22-18 07:48 AM

This is reminding me of the Straw Dogs or Ben Hur remakes.

Does anyone here hold the original Papillon in the same high regards that I do? It still holds up, and is a fine movie that feels modern and would be recommended viewing for any young people wanted to watch something older, or something with Steve McQueen.

It must be hard to remake a classic film.

Hazel Motes 08-29-18 03:28 AM

Just got back from this. I thought it was excellent. I've never actually seen the original but am very interested in doing so.

It's a shame this film was basically DOA. It's a damn good movie.

Rob V 08-29-18 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler (Post 13393455)
Does anyone here hold the original Papillon in the same high regards that I do?

I do. Saw it as a kid and it's one of the few movies that shouldn't be in my wheel-house (due to its subject matter and my age at the time) that is. I can't wait to see this modern version.

Why So Blu? 08-29-18 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes (Post 13397534)
Just got back from this. I thought it was excellent. I've never actually seen the original but am very interested in doing so.

It's a shame this film was basically DOA. It's a damn good movie.

Yeah, I'm hearing good things about it. I may go see it tomorrow. It's a "limited engagement" out here, so it'll be gone by next week I think.

Why So Blu? 08-30-18 08:58 PM

So I went to see this today, and fuck me sideways, I was pretty fucking floored on how good it was! Wow. I'll definitely be getting the Digital HD release.

I need to see the original now. It really is a shame that it's going to bomb. It doesn't deserve to.

dex14 02-07-19 10:47 AM

This is up on Prime.

Rob V 02-08-19 07:44 AM

Highly recommend this one... a tad long but very worthwhile.

TomOpus 02-08-19 07:50 AM

It's still an engaging movie, even knowing of the issues with accuracies.

Eddie W 02-08-19 09:08 AM

This is a gorgeous looking movie. I wish more movies looked like this instead of the washed out, pukey digital color grading that is used for most modern movies.

Troy Stiffler 02-17-19 08:15 AM

This is a worthy remake. It reminds me of Nolan’s Insomnia. It never needed to be remade. And that’s the only thing it had going against it. Otherwise great on its own.

GoldenJCJ 02-17-19 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13496632)
This is up on Prime.

Watched it last night. A very good movie and from what I’ve seen of his so far, definitely Charlie Hunnam’s best performance to date.

I enjoyed the Steve McQueen version as well but this one sits nicely along side it.

Geofferson 02-18-19 09:29 AM

Glad to hear of the positive reviews this is getting. Wasn't too optimistic given the August release date last year. Big fan of the original so am curious to see how this compares. Will definitely check it out on Prime.

coffeeman 02-18-19 08:16 PM

Dont bother with it! was a bad attempt at a classic movie!

OldBoy 02-18-19 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by coffeeman (Post 13502795)
Dont bother with it! was a bad attempt at a classic movie!

thanks coffeeman. i value your opinion above anyone else's. not gonna see. thanks for saving me time and effort. you are a true samaratarian and life saver!! Bless you.

coffeeman 02-19-19 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13502811)
thanks coffeeman. i value your opinion above anyone else's. not gonna see. thanks for saving me time and effort. you are a true samaratarian and life saver!! Bless you.

you're welcome! :)

Why So Blu? 02-19-19 11:09 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...6f41319eb2.gif