Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018, D: Yates)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018, D: Yates)

Old 11-16-18, 10:14 AM

Received 4,678 Likes on 3,168 Posts
Re: Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018, D: Yates)

Originally Posted by JeremyM
I didn't care for the first one much at all, and wish it even approached the level of the Hobbit films, which weren't great but overall I still enjoyed them. Disappointed that this one might actually be worse than the boring first one.
I rewatched the first before going to see this and enjoyed it more the second time. This one is most definitely worse, and all the redeeming things about the first are gone from this.
Old 11-16-18, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,808 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Yup. Reviews were spot on. This was bad. Mostly exposition and no plot. I kept waiting for it to kick into gear and it never really does... and then it's over... A lot of convoluted nonsense.

This is what happens when you turn what should've been 3 movies into 5... and are more worried about making sequels than just a good movie.

Rowling needs to hand over writing duties to someone else.
If she wants these stories told, she should just write them as novels. Then hand them over to filmmakers to turn them into movies.

I thought FBAWTFM suffered from a weak script; the story really needed to be tightened and the dialog needed to be punched up. It felt more like a book than a script.
Old 11-16-18, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
If she wants these stories told, she should just write them as novels. Then hand them over to filmmakers to turn them into movies.

I thought FBAWTFM suffered from a weak script; the story really needed to be tightened and the dialog needed to be punched up. It felt more like a book than a script.
Just a story treatment would suffice.
Old 11-18-18, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Spent all weekend trying to decide to see this, just was not motivated. Wife's got surgery this week, now I prolly won’t get out to anothermovie for at least a couple of weeks. At least Netflix has a few interesting things coming up.
Old 11-20-18, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 828 Likes on 610 Posts

I watched this today. I had e-Movie Cash from buying some Harry Potter films on Blu-ray so it only cost me about $2.50 to watch this. That's about how much everyone should pay to rent it instead of going to watch it in theaters. It's easily the worst movie set in the "Harry Potter" universe. I really liked Jude Law as Dumbledore and Zoe Kravitz as Leta Lestrange. Everything else was pretty bad. I thought the movie was really dark and I'm puzzled by the decision to
Spoiler:
have Queenie join Grindelwald. She was one of my favorite characters from the first movie...
2.75/5
Old 11-20-18, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I watched this today. I had e-Movie Cash from buying some Harry Potter films on Blu-ray so it only cost me about $2.50 to watch this. That's about how much everyone should pay to rent it instead of going to watch it in theaters. It's easily the worst movie set in the "Harry Potter" universe. I really liked Jude Law as Dumbledore and Zoe Kravitz as Leta Lestrange. Everything else was pretty bad. I thought the movie was really dark and I'm puzzled by the decision to
Spoiler:
have Queenie join Grindelwald. She was one of my favorite characters from the first movie...
2.75/5
They completely ruined that character, who was my favorite as well.
Old 11-21-18, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 402 Likes on 269 Posts

I really enjoyed this film and the first one. I suppose I should get around to watching the Harry Potter movies one of these days.
Old 11-25-18, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,709 Likes on 2,665 Posts

I saw this today to a near full house (granted it was a 68 person theater)

I got an $8 Movie Cash from buying the 1st movie on Vudu, which I just watched for the 1st time last week.

Anyways, I thought it was good, but definitely no where near as good as the 1st movie. Agree about Queenie. They totally ruined her. She was such a cute and charming character in the 1st movie. This one she felt lost for some reason and was so easily mesmerized by Grindewald. Felt bad for Jacob.

A question. What was the context of the big twist? 1st, I have never seen any of the Harry Potter movies, but I know these 2 movies tie into it. Is the twist tied into the Harry Potter lore?

Overall, there was some cool special effects and Depp was good as Grinsewald. They definitely left things about for a 3rd movie.
Old 03-21-19, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts

Skipped this one in theaters due to the largely negative reviews and MoviePass mostly going extinct.

I admired the movie more than I liked it. I think it was kind of cool that they chose to make a pretty adult themed movie within a franchise that has traditionally been aimed at young people. The visuals were top notch , and the acting was solid from all involved . Also, the recent revelations by J.K. Rowling regarding the relationship of Grindlewald and Dumbledore made it a more interesting viewing experience.
All that said , the story arc seemed very derivative of X-Men and overall it came across as a cash grab on a known property. The actual beasts were more backdrop characters because calling it “Harry Potter Prequel” would have been lame , even if that’s what it is was . Queenie was played as a roaring 20s New York girl stereotype, which may be more due to the actress’s choice than Rowling .
Spoiler:
I’ve found her character rather annoying through both movies , so her changing sides didn’t bother me .
Nagini was wasted as a character and did little more than act as Credence’s GF and say throwaway lines . This all from someone who has read all seven of the books and seen all other “Wizarding World/Potter” movies in the theater . I just waited for Redbox to see this bone and feel I made the right choice . However , I did love the platypus !