DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   What keeps you from going to the movie theater or going more often? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/635378-what-keeps-you-going-movie-theater-going-more-often.html)

DJariya 07-31-16 08:22 PM

What keeps you from going to the movie theater or going more often?

I think I did a thread similar to this a few years ago, but I can't recall the title of it.

So what does keep you from going to the theater or going more often?

Multiple pick poll.

I go around 4-5 times a month and maybe a little more in the summer. Only thing that keeps me from going more often is work and maybe to some extent cost.

I live within a 3 mile radius of 2 decent theaters and one just opened a few months ago (Harkins) and the other just recently re-modeled with assigned and recliner seats. So convenience and quality of the theaters aren't a problem.

Mondo Kane 07-31-16 08:26 PM

Re: What keeps you from going to the movie theater or going more often?

Lack of foreign films & indies

leacha 07-31-16 08:28 PM

Idiots sitting in the same room as I.

davidh777 07-31-16 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12863649)
I think I did a thread similar to this a few years ago, but I can't recall the title of it.

Was it called

Why do you choose not to go see a movie in a he theater?

(I searched for "high prices." :))

Me007gold 07-31-16 08:34 PM

My hatred of people, and lack of anything I must see in theaters

Trevor 07-31-16 08:35 PM

Cost is my major reason. $13.50 minimum for one person to watch it once in the theater; or pay $5 for the bluray and entire family and friends can watch it multiple times.

kd5 07-31-16 08:45 PM

Cost, primarily. Also, there are so few movies I'm really interested in these days, the ones I am interested in I usually end up buying, why waste the money seeing it a theater (amongst all those strange people) when I can buy it and watch it at my leasure (with the one person I really care about) on my 53" WS HDTV, on my own comfy couch?

TomOpus 07-31-16 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12863658)
Cost is my major reason. $13.50 minimum for one person to watch it once in the theater

I would move if that was the minimum theater ticket. My minimums are $4.50 (Cinemark), $5 (AMC & Regal).

milo bloom 07-31-16 08:56 PM

I hate people.

Well, not really but for the cost the environment the experience should be better.

I will go for an Event movie like Star Trek or Star Wars and the other day I had the day off so I took my son to see the Angry Birds movie at the second run theater cause, you know, bonding and all that.

davidlynchfan 07-31-16 09:45 PM

Crappy, overpriced and uninteresting movies for the most part.
The formula for movies these days are: Actors/Actresses with No Charisma, CGI Effects baby! and Convoluted plot points...pass.

asianxcore 07-31-16 09:54 PM

Right now my current work schedule has made it hard to go out to theaters more.

Why So Blu? 07-31-16 10:15 PM

Nothing. We have some of the best theaters around. I can see anything at any time regardless of wide/limited engagements whenever/where ever I want.

Bluelitespecial 07-31-16 10:33 PM

As others have said, I hate most people who go to multiplexes. Most of my movie going is at independent/revival houses, where I am around like minded moviegoers.

asianxcore 07-31-16 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12863658)
Cost is my major reason. $13.50 minimum for one person to watch it once in the theater; or pay $5 for the bluray and entire family and friends can watch it multiple times.

It's $13.50 for Matinee or Early Bird times where you are? :(

DJariya 07-31-16 11:13 PM

Matinees aren't cheap where I live. $10 at the Regal Cinemas, $10.50 at Harkins and $11.00 at AMC.

Regal does have a $6.25 all day discount matinee on Tuesdays.

$13.50 is usually for the evening shows here.

Most I ever spent was $18 to see Pacific Rim in IMAX 3D.

I spent $16 once to see Terminator: Genisys at Hollywood and Highland during an evening show.

asianxcore 07-31-16 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12863740)
Matinees aren't cheap where I live. $10 at the Regal Cinemas, $10.50 at Harkins and $11.00 at AMC.

$13.50 is usually for the evening shows here.

Most I ever spent was $18 to see Pacific Rim in IMAX 3D.

I spent $16 once to see Terminator: Genisys at Hollywood and Highland during an evening show.

Yikes. That's rough!

The theater nearest to me charges $7 for Early Bird/'Wake Up' and $8 for Matinee. One county over (where there are mostly Century Theaters), they charge $7.50 for Early Bird and $8.75 for Matinee.

TomOpus 08-01-16 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12863740)

Join their rewards program and get $1 knocked off the Tuesday price. Program is free too.

hbilly 08-01-16 12:50 AM

few things prevent me from going more often.

1. Distance. Nearest multiplex is 30 miles, IMAX is 65 miles. I work shifts so my chances of going during the week or even on the weekend are slim. Because of that I've never been to an IMAX showing, and I only saw my very first non-Anaglyph 3D movie last year.

3. Cost. For ticket prices like that you're exposed to plenty of accompanying annoyances. Outrageous food prices (forced to sneak in drinks and snacks), Commercials (forced to come in late) and...

4. People. I'm always reminded how obnoxious people really are when going to the theater.

Ash Ketchum 08-01-16 04:05 AM

Since I retired last September, I've actually made more trips to movie theaters this year (19 in the U.S.) than I have in a long time, mostly to indies, revivals, and documentaries, though. In the past, I'd stick to current Hollywood blockbusters because I wanted to be part of the conversation about the latest reboot or superhero adaptation or whatever. But since I no longer have an office to discuss these things with, I go see what really interests me, like the Japanese drama OUR LITTLE SISTER that played in NYC a couple of weeks ago or the documentary about the autistic kid who could only communicate using dialogue from Disney cartoons, LIFE, ANIMATED, both excellent films. The only Hollywood blockbusters I saw this year so far are DEADPOOL, JUNGLE BOOK and LEGEND OF TARZAN, neither of which I liked. I've seen ten documentaries in theaters in the past year, more than I've seen on the big screen in that time since the 1970s.

But I have to make a special trip into Manhattan to see movies and I go to early shows and get senior citizen discounts. If there was a local movie theater I could walk to, I'd go more often. There used to be a theater across the street from me. It's where I saw my first Bollywood movie back in 2000, but it's now a supermarket.

Geofferson 08-01-16 07:12 AM

The kids/babysitter option is a factor, but so is the cost in comparison to the alternative of watching preferred content at home. These days, I'd much rather spend 2-3 hours catching up on a few episodes of a favorite show instead of going to the theater.

The exception is if there is some type of limited engagement or specialty screening. For example, the roadshow screening of The Hateful Eight is the last movie I saw in the theater. :)

mcnabb 08-01-16 07:43 AM

Honestly, the quality of movies these days. I haven't seen a summer blockbuster in years, as I could care less about all of the Comic Book movies that come out from May to August. I wait for the Christmas Releases that usually get nominated for the Oscars, as they are the only quality movies all year anymore.

SmackDaddy 08-01-16 08:03 AM

My in-theater movie viewings have actually gone up, but it's because my main gripe about seeing movies in theaters in recent years is now a moot point (I chose "other" in the poll): seating/concession pricing. I'm pretty picky about where I like to sit when I watch a movie and that meant having to get to the theater a lot earlier than I liked and then sitting there for half an hour. Couple that with the 20 minutes of trailers and you waste nearly an hour of time. Now, with reserved seating becoming more common I don't have to worry about that and can arrive just before the movie starts.

The reserved seating seems to have come along with the explosion of dine-in theaters which took care of my second pet peeve, concession prices. At least now I feel like I'm getting some value out of the money I spend since I'm getting real food (and beer!). And, ticket prices at these venues are usually a couple of bucks cheaper than the bigger chains (AMC, Cinemark) since they know your probably going to spend money on food/drinks.

Troy Stiffler 08-01-16 08:09 AM

I sit down in front (usually the first row of non-stadium seating), and rarely have to even think about people talking or annoying me. You guys should try it sometime.

For me, it's money and work. Can't believe I didn't get out to see Civil War last spring.

There's also good stuff that hits Amazon and Netflix that keeps me satisfied. For example, I just caught up on "Newsroom" last week. Awesome show that I never gave a shot before.

I noticed that my local indie theater is playing some kind of release-day documentary to accompany the new Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds album. Directed by Andrew Dominik. That's probably the next one I can't miss. Will be good to maybe socialize a little. Everyone else there will be fans.

Lord Zarak 08-01-16 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by hbilly (Post 12863772)
4. People. I'm always reminded how obnoxious people really are when going to the theater.

That's my reason. Talking, cell phones, seat kicking and loud food ruins the movie experience for me. I will only go see a limited number of films anymore because of this.

Troy Stiffler 08-01-16 08:51 AM

If that's your problem, you really should try sitting towards the front.

Goat3001 08-01-16 09:08 AM

At this point, I go to the movies once or twice a year. Either because there's a movie that fits into my can't miss category and needs to be seen in the theater (last movie to fit this bill was Star Wars) or I'm trying to kill time with nothing else to do. Last movie I saw in the theater was The Witch and we only went because we were bored that afternoon and we were close to a theater.

There are a few reasons why:

1 - The theater experience isn't special to me anymore. I have a good TV at home and watching from the comfort of my own couch outweighs the theater experience.

2 - I only need to wait another 3 or 4 months to see it at home. With the exception of a few movies, I'm completely fine waiting that long.

3 - The price. $15 a pop is standard and it's too much.

4 - The possibility of having to deal with shitty people, which seems to happen all the time.

Rival11 08-01-16 09:15 AM

I honestly would love to watch every movie I have an interest in at the theater - cost has nothing to do with it either. I just feel too restrictive at the theater - can't drink alcohol (although only a minor gripe...I don't really drink while watching flicks much anymore), can't pause it if you have to use the restroom, etc...

Haven't been to a theater in ages - batman v superman couldn't pull me to one either - after typing this....I seriously may just need to go sometime soon.

bunkaroo 08-01-16 10:04 AM

I haven't been to the theater since Force Awakens either.

There were some movies like the Nice Guys I really wanted to see, but then I figure why not just spend $20 on the Blu-ray which is less than two tickets, flip the digital copy and if I don't like I can dump the disc too. My wife wants to see Secret Life of Pets but again we're happy to wait for video on that.

I will probably get out to see Star Trek: Beyond but that will likely be the last movie I see this year on the big screen other than Rogue One.

rocket1312 08-01-16 10:33 AM

A 2 year-old at home and a wife who works crazy hours (and has little in interest in going to movies without the words "Harry" or "Potter" in the title) are what keep me home. On the occasions I am able to get to the theater, I usually have such a small window of time that start time and run length often play a bigger role in what I see than what I am actually interested in.

DWilson 08-01-16 10:44 AM

Seeing movies in the theater is the one activity that my small circle of friends have and we've been seeing one or two a week since 1989. We usually go to the late evening show on Friday or Saturday. That being said, there have been a lot of changes over the years. For one, many of the theaters we used to go to over the years are long gone, -we pretty much go to the same one suburban theater unless it the (very) occasional trip to the city's one Art House. Years ago we had to buy tickets in advance, but we haven't had to do that since the days of "Phantom Menace". We used to have to deal with crowds (and we had a scheme to deal with that), but we never encounter crowds anymore. Crowd behavior used to be an issue, but we've only had to deal with maybe one problem a year at best.

Even so, we don't go as much any more, though. Some of it is getting older and less "ambitious". It seems like more films just aren't making it to theaters beyond a small run in two or three major markets. Its hard to get worked up for the more middling films because of (a) cost and (b) the quick turn-around to home video. I used to go to a lot of Independent films in the '90s, but that market sort of dried up. I used to go to see films by myself all the time, but in the last ten years I just stopped (convenience and cost mostly).

mndtrp 08-01-16 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 12863671)
I will go for an Event movie like Star Trek or Star Wars and the other day I had the day off so I took my son to see the Angry Birds movie at the second run theater cause, you know, bonding and all that.

These are the only times I go, too. Add in the occasional one if the family goes out of town without me, and I have nothing else to do.

The main reason I don't go is cost, matinee or otherwise. Next reason is time and kids rarely allow for the free time.

Once the Alamo opens up near me, I'll probably make more of an effort to go.

Deadman31 08-01-16 11:03 AM

I used to go to movies by myself for longest time (mostly during day after working all night). Then I found myself falling asleep more often than not whether it was night or day. And after that, I began to develop all kinds of other anxieties so I just stopped going altogether. Last movie I saw in theaters was Godzilla (original) a couple of years back. I'm trying to drum up courage to go see Jaws soon. I've always wanted to see it on big screen.

inri222 08-01-16 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan (Post 12863703)
Crappy, overpriced and uninteresting movies for the most part.
The formula for movies these days are: Actors/Actresses with No Charisma, CGI Effects baby! and Convoluted plot points...pass.

:up:

TomOpus 08-01-16 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Deadman31 (Post 12863964)
I'm trying to drum up courage to go see Jaws soon. I've always wanted to see it on big screen.

It's awesome in the theater. You should jump at the chance when it happens, especially if they have a 35mm print.

tommyp007 08-01-16 12:28 PM

Lots of reasons, but mostly it's time and money.

I work a lot, and so does the wife, and we have an 8 year old. So if we go out, it needs to be family friendly. And if we go, we'll easily drop $50 on tickets and snacks. We do have one new theater near us that finally has a big "Imax" size screen we went to see Star Wars there, and that's about it.

One of our favorite summer things to do is go to the Twin City Drive-in. It's about 15 minutes away from home. $7 per adult and $5 per child, and every weekend is a double feature! They have a digital projector that puts out a damn good image, and the sound over the radio. Popcorn is delicious and much cheaper than the cinemas here. We go an hour early and let Dana play with other kids before the show. We take bean bags, a cooler with beer, sodas and snacks, and have a great family night out.

I have Mondays off from work, and would be interested in matinees, but our theaters don't start them until 12:30 or 1pm, and that doesn't give me enough time to get home to get her off the school bus.

Finally, I've got a pretty kick ass surround system with a new 65" 4K Sony tv for movies at home, and I just don't HAVE to see films when they are released, so I can wait.

hasslein 08-01-16 12:50 PM

IT's not cost, I rarely pay for a movie anymore, so many ways to get moviecash. And the recliner seats are very comfortable at my favorite theater. Its lack of films I want to see, and people texting, coming in late, smell bad, and talking throughout are only real burdens. I'd go to QT's New Beverly revival house more often but the location is too far from my house, and I don't think they take moviecash.

The Valeyard 08-01-16 02:04 PM

The people. People are assholes.

Ash Ketchum 08-01-16 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by rocket1312 (Post 12863941)
A 2 year-old at home and a wife who works crazy hours (and has little in interest in going to movies without the words "Harry" or "Potter" in the title)....

Then she must have loved this double feature:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7629/2...e0cb04e48c.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8130/2...fa49af754a.jpg

Alan Smithee 08-01-16 03:04 PM

Lack of theaters like the one in my avatar picture (and that one is currently sitting closed and gutted!)

Small screens at many theaters- yes, they're still bigger than my TV, but not THAT much bigger- still too small for a theater. The worst is the smaller-sized auditoriums that movies get moved to after they've been out several weeks- you might as well wait for the disc at that point.

Most recently-built theaters have common-width screens, so scope movies, which are supposed to look BIGGER, instead look smaller, with either top-masking or shown letterboxed with no masking at all, which looks very unprofessional! (It's tolerable at home, but not at a theater. The way 2.35 works on digital projectors doesn't help matters either.)

High prices, and upcharges for 3D

Pre-show commercials (which the theater is being paid to show, yet obviously not giving us a break on the ticket price- plus that just makes the experience that much more like a big TV instead of a theater)

Idiots in the audience who find new and innovative ways to annoy me during the movie

Theaters being run by idiots who have no concept of showmanship or love of what they do.

EddieMoney 08-01-16 03:15 PM

Because most of the movies that play in theaters around here fucking suck big fucking elephant dick.