Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What keeps you from going to the movie theater or going more often?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What keeps you from going to the movie theater or going more often?
Pure laziness. I don't like leaving my house unless it's necessary
11.96%
Cost -- Too expensive to go
42.39%
Kids/Babysitter situation
15.22%
Poor Theater environment
22.83%
Convenience -- Nearest theater is too far away
4.35%
I prefer to watch movies in the comfort of my own home
29.35%
Quality of the theaters in my area sucks or is subpar
3.26%
Very picky on the types of movies I watch in theater and most are just not for me
30.43%
Work/Life schedule keeps me too busy to get out more
30.43%
Other reason
15.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

What keeps you from going to the movie theater or going more often?

Old 08-01-16, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: What keeps you from going to the movie theater or going more often?

At this point, I go to the movies once or twice a year. Either because there's a movie that fits into my can't miss category and needs to be seen in the theater (last movie to fit this bill was Star Wars) or I'm trying to kill time with nothing else to do. Last movie I saw in the theater was The Witch and we only went because we were bored that afternoon and we were close to a theater.

There are a few reasons why:

1 - The theater experience isn't special to me anymore. I have a good TV at home and watching from the comfort of my own couch outweighs the theater experience.

2 - I only need to wait another 3 or 4 months to see it at home. With the exception of a few movies, I'm completely fine waiting that long.

3 - The price. $15 a pop is standard and it's too much.

4 - The possibility of having to deal with shitty people, which seems to happen all the time.
Old 08-01-16, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

I honestly would love to watch every movie I have an interest in at the theater - cost has nothing to do with it either. I just feel too restrictive at the theater - can't drink alcohol (although only a minor gripe...I don't really drink while watching flicks much anymore), can't pause it if you have to use the restroom, etc...

Haven't been to a theater in ages - batman v superman couldn't pull me to one either - after typing this....I seriously may just need to go sometime soon.
Old 08-01-16, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I haven't been to the theater since Force Awakens either.

There were some movies like the Nice Guys I really wanted to see, but then I figure why not just spend $20 on the Blu-ray which is less than two tickets, flip the digital copy and if I don't like I can dump the disc too. My wife wants to see Secret Life of Pets but again we're happy to wait for video on that.

I will probably get out to see Star Trek: Beyond but that will likely be the last movie I see this year on the big screen other than Rogue One.
Old 08-01-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

A 2 year-old at home and a wife who works crazy hours (and has little in interest in going to movies without the words "Harry" or "Potter" in the title) are what keep me home. On the occasions I am able to get to the theater, I usually have such a small window of time that start time and run length often play a bigger role in what I see than what I am actually interested in.
Old 08-01-16, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Seeing movies in the theater is the one activity that my small circle of friends have and we've been seeing one or two a week since 1989. We usually go to the late evening show on Friday or Saturday. That being said, there have been a lot of changes over the years. For one, many of the theaters we used to go to over the years are long gone, -we pretty much go to the same one suburban theater unless it the (very) occasional trip to the city's one Art House. Years ago we had to buy tickets in advance, but we haven't had to do that since the days of "Phantom Menace". We used to have to deal with crowds (and we had a scheme to deal with that), but we never encounter crowds anymore. Crowd behavior used to be an issue, but we've only had to deal with maybe one problem a year at best.

Even so, we don't go as much any more, though. Some of it is getting older and less "ambitious". It seems like more films just aren't making it to theaters beyond a small run in two or three major markets. Its hard to get worked up for the more middling films because of (a) cost and (b) the quick turn-around to home video. I used to go to a lot of Independent films in the '90s, but that market sort of dried up. I used to go to see films by myself all the time, but in the last ten years I just stopped (convenience and cost mostly).
Old 08-01-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
I will go for an Event movie like Star Trek or Star Wars and the other day I had the day off so I took my son to see the Angry Birds movie at the second run theater cause, you know, bonding and all that.
These are the only times I go, too. Add in the occasional one if the family goes out of town without me, and I have nothing else to do.

The main reason I don't go is cost, matinee or otherwise. Next reason is time and kids rarely allow for the free time.

Once the Alamo opens up near me, I'll probably make more of an effort to go.
Old 08-01-16, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

I used to go to movies by myself for longest time (mostly during day after working all night). Then I found myself falling asleep more often than not whether it was night or day. And after that, I began to develop all kinds of other anxieties so I just stopped going altogether. Last movie I saw in theaters was Godzilla (original) a couple of years back. I'm trying to drum up courage to go see Jaws soon. I've always wanted to see it on big screen.
Old 08-01-16, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan View Post
Crappy, overpriced and uninteresting movies for the most part.
The formula for movies these days are: Actors/Actresses with No Charisma, CGI Effects baby! and Convoluted plot points...pass.
Old 08-01-16, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
I'm trying to drum up courage to go see Jaws soon. I've always wanted to see it on big screen.
It's awesome in the theater. You should jump at the chance when it happens, especially if they have a 35mm print.
Old 08-01-16, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of reasons, but mostly it's time and money.

I work a lot, and so does the wife, and we have an 8 year old. So if we go out, it needs to be family friendly. And if we go, we'll easily drop $50 on tickets and snacks. We do have one new theater near us that finally has a big "Imax" size screen we went to see Star Wars there, and that's about it.

One of our favorite summer things to do is go to the Twin City Drive-in. It's about 15 minutes away from home. $7 per adult and $5 per child, and every weekend is a double feature! They have a digital projector that puts out a damn good image, and the sound over the radio. Popcorn is delicious and much cheaper than the cinemas here. We go an hour early and let Dana play with other kids before the show. We take bean bags, a cooler with beer, sodas and snacks, and have a great family night out.

I have Mondays off from work, and would be interested in matinees, but our theaters don't start them until 12:30 or 1pm, and that doesn't give me enough time to get home to get her off the school bus.

Finally, I've got a pretty kick ass surround system with a new 65" 4K Sony tv for movies at home, and I just don't HAVE to see films when they are released, so I can wait.
Old 08-01-16, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IT's not cost, I rarely pay for a movie anymore, so many ways to get moviecash. And the recliner seats are very comfortable at my favorite theater. Its lack of films I want to see, and people texting, coming in late, smell bad, and talking throughout are only real burdens. I'd go to QT's New Beverly revival house more often but the location is too far from my house, and I don't think they take moviecash.

Last edited by hasslein; 08-01-16 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-01-16, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

The people. People are assholes.
Old 08-01-16, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
A 2 year-old at home and a wife who works crazy hours (and has little in interest in going to movies without the words "Harry" or "Potter" in the title)....
Then she must have loved this double feature:

Old 08-01-16, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Lack of theaters like the one in my avatar picture (and that one is currently sitting closed and gutted!)

Small screens at many theaters- yes, they're still bigger than my TV, but not THAT much bigger- still too small for a theater. The worst is the smaller-sized auditoriums that movies get moved to after they've been out several weeks- you might as well wait for the disc at that point.

Most recently-built theaters have common-width screens, so scope movies, which are supposed to look BIGGER, instead look smaller, with either top-masking or shown letterboxed with no masking at all, which looks very unprofessional! (It's tolerable at home, but not at a theater. The way 2.35 works on digital projectors doesn't help matters either.)

High prices, and upcharges for 3D

Pre-show commercials (which the theater is being paid to show, yet obviously not giving us a break on the ticket price- plus that just makes the experience that much more like a big TV instead of a theater)

Idiots in the audience who find new and innovative ways to annoy me during the movie

Theaters being run by idiots who have no concept of showmanship or love of what they do.
Old 08-01-16, 03:15 PM
RIP

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Because most of the movies that play in theaters around here fucking suck big fucking elephant dick.
Old 08-01-16, 03:17 PM

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Cost used to be a factor, but MoviePass makes going to the theater more enticing. Just wish they had a premium plan for IMAX/3D, though that experience is less appealing when one of the Cinemark theaters not too far away has regular screens almost as big as LieMax. A lot of the theaters recently installed very comfortable reclining seats, so that's also a plus. But having recently upgraded to a nice sized UHD tv and player (getting that tomorrow hopefully) with a decent AVR already, I think I may drop the MoviePass sometime in the next few months or so since the quality is almost as good as what's at the theaters, even better at times with how well the HDR is with titles. Pacific Rim looks stunning in Dolby Vision. I'm going to check out a Dolby theater that's fairly new that's not too far away, since I keep reading good reviews about them. If theaters want to compete with tv/streaming/etc, they better start stepping up their game, because these UHD tvs are getting more affordable by the day, and will be the norm within 4-5 years since that's all the retailers seem to be pushing these days.
Old 08-01-16, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's very difficult for me to sit through an entire movie without wanting to get up for a little while and do something else and then come back to it, no matter how much I like it. So watching at home is perfect.
Old 08-01-16, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nothing keeps me from seeing movies. I see about 20 theatrical releases a year. I live in an amazing movie city with easy access to blockbusters, indies, top-notch theatres, and multiple film festivals, including the biggest public film festival in the world.
Old 08-01-16, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1. Cost, both ticket prices and food

2. Very few movies I "have" to see at the theater

3. TV programming is the same quality, or better, than movies these days
Old 08-01-16, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems like the theatrical experience and the home theater one have become so similar that the only reason to go to a theater is get out of the house and do something.

I'm old enough to remember when 'going to the movies' was something exciting. Now it's just watching TV someplace besides your house. The last movie I saw theatrically was The Force Awakens. And it was this comfy theater with a modest screen size & recliners, food, and drinks. And I realized that the theater is trying to emulate the home experience rather than the other way around. How odd.
Old 08-01-16, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard View Post
The people. People are assholes.
This. My star trek experience was pretty much ruined the other day. A large family comes into the movie. They all sat in three consecutive rows. In the first row was a kid who kept coming back to the second row, talking to the adults. It was fucking annoying and completely took me out of the movie. This was even a 10 am movie during the week. When that shit happens in non prime movie times, it is pretty much going to happen any time.
Old 08-01-16, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

Cost and inconvenience are the biggest factors.

Also, I don't like the loud audio of movies these days. Last week we saw Planet of the Apes (1968) at the theater. The movie in the next theater was Lights Out, which is a horror movie and not a movie with explosions, but their audio coming through the wall was so loud that it disrupted our viewing.
Old 08-02-16, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

The only reason for me is time.

I have a nice selection of theaters in my area, with a combination of the big chains like Regal/AMC and the fancy reserved seating theaters with giant recliners. I have a real IMAX nearby. I can watch movies on the weekend before noon for $6 a ticket if I want to save money, or splurge for the nicer experience for the big movies.
Old 08-02-16, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Also, I don't like the loud audio of movies these days. Last week we saw Planet of the Apes (1968) at the theater. The movie in the next theater was Lights Out, which is a horror movie and not a movie with explosions, but their audio coming through the wall was so loud that it disrupted our viewing.
Poor building design- and that was never a problem with single-screen theaters
Old 08-02-16, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Honestly, I just don't have as many movie-going buddies as I used too. I've never gone to a movie by myself, but I have thought about starting to go every few wks. Might make Star Trek Beyond my first next wk..(I'd rather wait a few wks after crowds die down)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.