Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
1.23%
1.23%
14.81%
20.99%
30.86%
12.35%
3.70%
11.11%
3.70%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-16, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Re: Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

If the Joker killed Jason Todd, does that mean Dick Grayson is around in the DCEU?

Bring on a Titans film... Nightwing. Changeling. Troia. Raven. Starfire. Cyborg. (Change the Cyborg solo movie into a Titans movie.)
Old 08-12-16, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Suicide Squad also revealed that Harley Quinn had a hand in Robin's death.
Did she? I don't recall.
Old 08-12-16, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Did she? I don't recall.
Yes. It was part of the onscreen text during the character introduction...
Old 08-12-16, 09:56 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
So no real surprise but Ayer confirmed that The Joker killed Robin. The explanation for the damaged tattoo is fucking stupid in my opinion. I can buy Batman punching his teeth out and that's the reason for the grill (which is still dumb too) but him getting the damaged tattoo comes off like he's some emo character or something. I really wish we could just retcon the Leto Joker.

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/conten...ker-connection
Yeah, that is really stupid. Its the Joker, who is nuts. Damaged should just be for his scrambled brains( I like him with all the tats, but that one is just fucking stupid), not that he thinks he is beautiful.
Old 08-12-16, 10:09 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. Visually... I think it screams too much for something that was totally already presented by the character's actions in a generality. Don't tell me that you're crazy, be fucking crazy. The tattoos are a weak boosting for the character. They just add flair w/o actually adding much personality.

Saw the film last night.... there is a possibility that there's a good movie in there somewhere. It's just a half assed flick right now. Waller is amazing. Love Davis and have loved that character for so long now. Such a bitch.

Also... about the credits bit. Doesn't feel earned. That knowledge... the world is too young for the audience to just accept that that many people apparently know who he is. His identity is such a secret in the comics that it's like they don't really give a damn who knows it and at what point. I dunno. I KNOW that she would find that out cuz she is who she is but... It's like Wayne doesn't care if you find out who he is unless it's out in the open to the public. I dunno. Eh.
Old 08-12-16, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

That's part of the issue with these films in my mind. Nothing is established so these character moments that are supposed to be cool aren't as effective because we haven't grown with these versions of the characters. It makes it hard to care or get overly excited in my opinion.
Old 08-12-16, 11:58 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't mind that we fell into a Bats that had some solid years under his belt but at the same time... the writing isn't there to create great characters on the page either. Most of what made Bats good is just common. He's a hard character to fuck up on, I'd assume.

WB just wants to hit the endgame of what the the DC property is, a fuck ton huge franchise. But.. it just isn't written well enough to do so. It'd take great fucking writing for them to hit near the quality that Marvel stands at w/ the number of movies they had have to get to the Avengers or even have at this point. I'm not saying Marvel is perfect, it's not. But they let those characters breath.. and wrote them so well for us to want to follow.

It's cool that WB is making the DC characters world into a "real" world type of thing. Great. That's cool.. you're halfway succeeding in that for us. Marvel properly created an alternate reality where the fantastical was always there in elements away from the modern public but always there nonetheless. The WB problem is that it's just got great ideas w/ poor execution. BvS has a shit ton of great things it's attempting to do... but Snyder and Goyer aren't the guys for that. Terrio, I'd imagine could only clean up so much and probably messed it up too based on what some people have mentioned that he added in.

With SS it's a shit ton of ideas that are thought to be cool and that they're attempting to stick to the wall and hopefully it works out. It's not. Again.. there's a shit ton of things that come close to working in SS. I don't know if it's Ayer or WB... but they fucked up something that had the potential to be so much more greater w/ the elements they swam in.
Old 08-12-16, 12:59 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

certainly not a bad movie. not like the critics think anyway. it was fun, just thought it was a little generic and by the book. nothing awe inspiring, no wow moments, just sort of action on screen and it was decent. competently made, but nothing very special. ain't a bad way to kill 2 hours.

Old 08-12-16, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went in with lowered expectations and was entertained for my two hours. Landed around the mid-point for superhero movies I have seen this year, better than B v S, about tied with Nu-X-men 3 and worse than Deadpool and Captain America.

Some random thoughts:

My biggest letdown was that the film felt so small and contained. Almost every scene took place in either the prison, the office building or the train station just down the street from the office building where they go fight Gozer. There was no scale to the movie. I mean, they showed stuff getting fucked up, but that was on a monitor - we're watching somebody else watching something bad happen somewhere, so as an audience we're too removed from the consequences.

It's a good thing they got Will Smith for this as he provided the emotional anchor for the movie with ease while I feel that that a lesser-known actor would have struggled to establish that connection.

Robbie was fun as Quinn, though that "Mistah J" accent seemed to come and go at times. I don't know if she was amping it up earlier in production and toned it down during the shoot or what, but it started to grate on me when it would just come out at random. Still, the 13-year-old who watched it with me said he would like to see a Harley Quinn movie and I couldn't disagree.

Not a big fan of Leto's interpretation of the character. He made it his own, and I can respect that, but it felt too hipster-moderne for me.

I liked Joey Jump-Up or whatever his fucking name was - the guy with no backstory "who can climb anything". He should have beamed into this movie in a red shirt because we all knew what his fate was. Captain Boomerang could have suffered the same fate and the movie would not have suffered (other than the loss of some very mild comic relief).

I agree with previous posters that the DC cinematic universe is feeling rushed but we're kinda in the middle of that now, so I don't know how that can be repaired from within without rebooting the whole thing (ugh).

I will say the one scene with Deadshot and Batman in the alley made me leery for the upcoming Bafflick. Affleck just looks so heavy in that suit that, while it might work with a Superman, I feel that his frame just looks strange and bulky next to a normal-sized foe.

Last edited by Fanboy; 08-12-16 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-12-16, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
If the Joker killed Jason Todd, does that mean Dick Grayson is around in the DCEU?

Bring on a Titans film... Nightwing. Changeling. Troia. Raven. Starfire. Cyborg. (Change the Cyborg solo movie into a Titans movie.)
I would be cool to see Nightwing appear in a film someday. Honestly though I wouldn't mind if Robin was part of a future film too.
Old 08-12-16, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Saw it tonight. Did not like it.

BvS ends with Batman putting a team together because of what Luther Jr. told him, yet this movie has Enchantress taking over/destroying an entire city for the night and no real heroes to be found ....

Bright spot was Margot Robbie who stole the entire movie. She is the perfect Harley. I also liked that when Deadshot was shown what he really wants the most, it was him killing Batman and not being with his daughter.

On the flip side the Joker was a terrible uninspired waste IMO.
Old 08-13-16, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Saw it tonight. Did not like it.

BvS ends with Batman putting a team together because of what Luther Jr. told him, yet this movie has Enchantress taking over/destroying an entire city for the night and no real heroes to be found ....
wut?! He hasnt put the team together yet. In fact he just got the meta human files from Waller. This takes place just a couple of months after BVS.

And even if you go down that road, where are the Avengers when Thor was in some shit in Thor 2, or Iron Man getting attacked by the Mandarin, etc etc
Old 08-14-16, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Enjoyed it and gave a 3.5. Count me among those that consider Robbie and Smith the highlights of the movie. All the others were cookie cutter roles except the joker. Leto certainly put in a psycho performance but he was trying to do his own version of Ledger. DC just can't hold a candle to Marvel which is surprising since as a kid the DC heroes were my favorites.
Old 08-15-16, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
So, I saw Suicide Squad.

Everybody is complaining that this movie needed more Harley Quinn.

I don't understand why she is included in the squad at all. (This is not to say that I don't understand why a sexpot character was included in the movie.)

The premise is that Waller wants the govt to prepare for meta-human threats. So Diablo and Croc make perfect sense because they have powers. Deadshot and Boomerang do not have powers but they have extraordinary lethal abilities. Harley Quinn is just a crazy girl who likes to swing a baseball bat.
She at least did some damage with the bat and gun, and because she's the focal point of the movie inexplicably lands a key blow. What did boomerang do?

I thought the premise as originally sold to the government is what if Superman tore the roof off the White House? The answer is, an evil Superman would kill every single one of these losers except Enchantress, who isn't even on the team. Seriously, send in a bunch of serial killers against a supernatural threat is really dumb, let alone that they have no plan or teamwork or effective powers (against the threat). El Diablo, the pacifist, and Croc were the only heavy hitters. I struggle to think of when Boomerang was effective, and even Deadshot was only good against cannon fodder. And at the very least give Slipknot some kind of backstory to make it less obvious, you barely catch his name in the movie.

By the way why couldn't the helicopter land a team to extract Waller, if they had a straight flight to the top of the building anyway? And if they did extract Waller was Flag going to just give up on his girl then? Does Deadshot have Flash like reading powers? Did they really have to show the Enchantress underground scene twice? What was the plot device, that they couldn't get the bomb near enough to the bad guy without the Enchantress's powers, but then they could? And what was the machine that poor man's Emma Watson was building, something that shoots lasers?

I agree that they should have gone against a more grounded opponent, but then you don't get the special effects explosions and/or you have Will Smith murdering other humans by the boatload instead of faceless, converted humans. I kinda remember Suicide Squad facing like armies and such and getting cut down by bullets, at least initially. This seemed more like a JL Dark plot line, in fact this is very similar to the initial JL Dark story featuring the same baddie.

Wasn't Harley's device deactivated? Why give into Waller at the end there?

I understand why they cut out some of the mysoginistic scenes with Joker for the sake of ratings, but that really cuts into their relationship, especially the difference in her leaving the helicopter.

That mid credits scene just seemed forced. She needs Bruce Wayne's help to cover her tracks? He really doesn't care about having a secret identity (and apparently the Flash doesn't have one either).

Despite all that, I think they showcased the two stars (Smith and Robbie) well, and I actually enjoyed the backstory stuff even if the cuts were fast and furious. And someone suggested they make a Teen Titans movie... I love the Teen Titans, but they haven't gotten them right in the comics in many many years, and it's the one series that is super dependent on a good foundation since these are all sidekick/legacy characters for the most part, at least to start with, and they would certainly screw that up. I'm just hopeful the Judas Contract turns out ok.

Last edited by fujishig; 08-15-16 at 02:03 AM.
Old 08-16-16, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Jared Leto is a one-man PR Nightmare for this film. Yikes.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/...-suicide-squad
Old 08-16-16, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope he keeps it up and pisses Warner off enough that they recast him.
Old 08-17-16, 12:23 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Leto really didn't say anything damning per se about the movie, just your typical IGN click-bait article. I've read far worse comments from actors concerning certain movies/directors than I care to remember. Looking at his filmography, I don't think he'd care if he ever played the Joker again.
Old 08-17-16, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I caught this last weekend and wanted to love it. But as others have mentioned, it felt small and closed in. The baddies were generic, the main antagonist made poor decisions and the Suicide Squad going back to jail was laughably stupid. I really don't understand how this movie could have the balls to show so little of the Joker... Deadshot carried the movie but I didn't know anything about him prior to this flick and expected to see a Joker-centric flick.
Old 08-17-16, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts

The character I was most disappointed in was Killer Croc. Just way too small like X-men's Apocalypse. I am typically not a big fan of CG characters but these were two 7 foot plus characters that would have likely been done better as CG.
Old 08-17-16, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The wife wanted to watch this—she doesn’t care about my crusade against Snyder and WB/DC—so I saw it and surprisingly enough, I didn’t hate it. I was entertained at the very least. Unlike BvS which I spent the whole movie hating. Leto = worst Joker.
Old 08-17-16, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

They really did cut a ton of the Joker out, including a scene where he actually interacts with the Squad, which you would think would be essential. I don't know who the marketing genius was that couldn't figure out the Joker's relationship with Harley would be very controversial, so they had to apparently soften it up at the last minute and cut the movie to pieces in the process.

I didn't have a problem with Croc's size, he's not that big pre BTAS was he?

Waller really pulled one over on the government, though.

"So what do we do if an evil Superman comes? Well we have this cool teleporting Magic User"
"Cool, so you have like a dozen of these guys with powers? Sounds awesome!"
"No, she's like the most powerful one. We have a guy that can shoot flames, but he doesn't want to hurt anyone. We have a psychotic acrobat with a baseball bat. A guy who can shoot things with guns, though we won't use him to snipe anything, just close combat Rambo type stuff, because we really don't have anyone on the special forces that can shoot things. A big scaly guy who can swim. A girl with a sword who she talks to and cries to. A guy who throws boomerangs. And best of all, a guy who can climb anything, that dude's the key to the whole team, he's awesome."
"..."

This is the same government that didn't want to allow lex to import Kryptonite, right?
Old 08-17-16, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

So Leto thought he was making an art house film.

OK, time for a recast.
Old 08-17-16, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
I didn't have a problem with Croc's size, he's not that big pre BTAS was he?
I guess I grew up with Killer Croc looking like this:

But playing the Arkham Asylum games in recent years, I really liked how they portrayed him:
spoilered for size
Spoiler:

or this:

or this:

Old 08-17-16, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

two other covers having nothing to do with size. I just enjoyed seeing some of the old covers of books I used to have (or they may still be in my attic):

As a kid I really liked this issue:

Not sure if that was the one were they retconned KC's origin where they showed him as a kid and getting made fun of as a freak. I always liked that issue and was fascinated with KC as a kid but he never showed up much.

Another cover by one of my favorite all-time artists Norm Breyfogle. Not his best cover but I love Batman in the background. He drew Batman better than almost anyone:

No more covers. I promise.
Old 08-17-16, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Fanboy
Went in with lowered expectations and was entertained for my two hours. Landed around the mid-point for superhero movies I have seen this year, better than B v S, about tied with Nu-X-men 3 and worse than Deadpool and Captain America.

Some random thoughts:

My biggest letdown was that the film felt so small and contained. Almost every scene took place in either the prison, the office building or the train station just down the street from the office building where they go fight Gozer. There was no scale to the movie. I mean, they showed stuff getting fucked up, but that was on a monitor - we're watching somebody else watching something bad happen somewhere, so as an audience we're too removed from the consequences.

It's a good thing they got Will Smith for this as he provided the emotional anchor for the movie with ease while I feel that that a lesser-known actor would have struggled to establish that connection.

Robbie was fun as Quinn, though that "Mistah J" accent seemed to come and go at times. I don't know if she was amping it up earlier in production and toned it down during the shoot or what, but it started to grate on me when it would just come out at random. Still, the 13-year-old who watched it with me said he would like to see a Harley Quinn movie and I couldn't disagree.

Not a big fan of Leto's interpretation of the character. He made it his own, and I can respect that, but it felt too hipster-moderne for me.

I liked Joey Jump-Up or whatever his fucking name was - the guy with no backstory "who can climb anything". He should have beamed into this movie in a red shirt because we all knew what his fate was. Captain Boomerang could have suffered the same fate and the movie would not have suffered (other than the loss of some very mild comic relief).

I agree with previous posters that the DC cinematic universe is feeling rushed but we're kinda in the middle of that now, so I don't know how that can be repaired from within without rebooting the whole thing (ugh).

I will say the one scene with Deadshot and Batman in the alley made me leery for the upcoming Bafflick. Affleck just looks so heavy in that suit that, while it might work with a Superman, I feel that his frame just looks strange and bulky next to a normal-sized foe.
Ha, I kept reading the line above this way.

Still, the 13-year-old within me said he would like to see a Harley Quinn movie and I couldn't disagree.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.