Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
1.23%
1.23%
14.81%
20.99%
30.86%
12.35%
3.70%
11.11%
3.70%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-16, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I'm sure Smith got paid at least $20m and probably getting a percentage. Leto is probably the next highest salary and I read somewhere that he was paid ~$7m.
Old 08-08-16, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I'm sure Will Smith and his huge ego had something to do with it.
Originally Posted by inri222
I'm sure Smith got paid at least $20m and probably getting a percentage.
You guys commies?
Old 08-08-16, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Jared Leto: I shot enough ‘Suicide Squad’ footage for an entire Joker movie, wanted R rating

http://batman-news.com/2016/08/07/ja...e-joker-movie/
Old 08-08-16, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Sounds like he is trying to get himself fired.
Old 08-08-16, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Jared Leto: I shot enough ‘Suicide Squad’ footage for an entire Joker movie, wanted R rating

http://batman-news.com/2016/08/07/ja...e-joker-movie/
Then why don't they simply make a separate Joker movie from that footage? That way, the $175 million budget will have been responsible for two movies. Jeez, Warner Bros., does DVD Talk have to think of everything?
Old 08-08-16, 03:24 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

30 Seconds to Unemployable
Old 08-08-16, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix

Edit: One final thing, I actually loved all of the music and might go seek out the CD. (checks Amazon...$10 for Physical and MP3...not bad)
Make sure that you check it out before you purchase to make sure you're happy with what you're getting. A ton of the music that is in the movie isn't on the soundtrack album.
Old 08-08-16, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty soon, we might hear that Mark Ruffalo is now playing Joker.
Old 08-08-16, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The kids dragged me to see this. Here are some thoughts:

-- This owes a lot to Escape from New York. A LOT. From the city mission to the neck implants, it was very obvious to me.

-- I thought that Jared Leto looked like Macauly Culkin. So, for me, it was Kevin McCallister as Pimp Joker. Not exactly intimidating.

-- As noted by others, the editing was very choppy and it definitely had a "Scene Missing" feel.

-- Also as noted by others, the finale felt like Ghostbusters.
Old 08-08-16, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It was not perfect, but it was entertaining as hell. It in no way deserves that rotten tomatoes score. That's laughable.

I thought everyone was good in the movie, but Margot as Harley was something else. I think she really is the one who sold the movie to me. She set the right tone. I hope she gets her own movie.

I liked the Joker too, and was sorry to see him get cut out but there's always the super extended cut to come.
Old 08-08-16, 10:26 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A Harley film? Fuck that. I may love her in the comics having some bit of solo or focused material on her but a film? No. That's just too much for too little.

Robbie or no Robbie.
Old 08-08-16, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Sounds like he is trying to get himself fired.
Please get rid of Leto. Sorry but this portrayal of the character is awful. Whether or not there's cut footage I think we got the gist of what this version of the character is going to be like and I just don't want to see him going forward. More so than Nicholson I feel like Jared Leto's version of The Joker is more like him playing himself playing The Joker and it doesn't work. On top of the weird look and the performance being bland I would have no problem saying that this version of the character doesn't exist.

Overall I liked the film enough even though it's not perfect so it's not me hating on DC. The other performances are mostly good and aside from a really disjointed story I thought the characters carried the film to be somewhat enjoyable.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
A Harley film? Fuck that. I may love her in the comics having some bit of solo or focused material on her but a film? No. That's just too much for too little.

Robbie or no Robbie.
Yeah I'm not sure about a completely Harley centric film. Maybe if it's a Gotham City Sirens type of film it could be sort of fun but I don't think I want to see a film completely dedicated to just her.
Old 08-08-16, 11:48 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I actually liked this joker. He really creeped me out especially with that scene in the nightclub. I would love to see him and batfleck together.

I actually liked this movie a lot! I was pleasantly surprised. I would go see it again.
Old 08-09-16, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah I'm not sure about a completely Harley centric film. Maybe if it's a Gotham City Sirens type of film it could be sort of fun but I don't think I want to see a film completely dedicated to just her.
Gotham City Sirens could be a lot of fun. Team up Harley, Catwoman, Poison Ivy, and maybe Black Canary or the Huntress. Possibly a little Birds of Prey type of stuff in the mix, too. Does Oracle exist in the DCEU, too? A team of sexy women going on some kind of caper could be gold.

I would really like the DCEU's Catwoman be a, if not full-fledged hero, a morally ambiguous "good guy" and long-time romantic interest for Bruce Wayne. Definitely not a stock villain. And they have to use the Darwyn Cooke costume.
Old 08-09-16, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake

Robbie or no Robbie.
I'm sorry, but you're completely wrong on this. I think most of the moviegoing world is totally down for a Harley-focused movie, and there's plenty of material to be mined there...just because THIS movie didn't provide it doesn't mean it can't be done.
Old 08-09-16, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

No. I agree with Snake. Harley is a character that works in an ensemble, but really not enough there for a solo movie. There is something called too much of a good thing, and this would be a classic case. She works because you look forward to her next appearance, but having a solo movie would stretch the character thin and take away from it in the end. Some characters are just better in smaller doses. And what material is there to mine for Harley? Out of all comic book characters she is certainly in the realm of not having much of a story and I can't even think of one classic comic storyline in which she played any significant role (I know she was created for true cartoon....but plenty of comics have been released since then for her to appear in). Let her just appear in he Batman movie and another Suicide Squad or two.
Old 08-09-16, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
You guys commies?
Nope, I'm talking about actors who ask and get things like this to coddle their massive egos. It's a shame movie studios give in to their demands. I'm not saying he got this for SS, but he has the reputation for being a diva.

Inside Will Smith's Luxurious $2.5 Million, 2-Story Movie Trailer.

http://www.businessinsider.com/insid...railer-2013-10
Old 08-09-16, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

There is already talk of a Harley film with Batgirl. Harley is DC's most popular female character, outselling Wonder Woman. Its going to happen.
Old 08-09-16, 07:49 AM

Saw this last night. Not all that bad. Unlike other recent DC movies, I would watch this again. I liked Harley and Deadshot, but not quite sold on the Joker.
Old 08-09-16, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Long
-- I thought that Jared Leto looked like Macauly Culkin. So, for me, it was Kevin McCallister as Pimp Joker. Not exactly intimidating.
I knew there was something familiar about him. Ever since I first saw pictures of him in the Joker make-up I thought there was something familiar, creepy, but laughable at the same time. Now I know what it was.
Old 08-09-16, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

An Irate 'Suicide Squad' Audience Member Is Threatening To Sue For Joker 'False Advertising'

https://www.yahoo.com/news/irate-sui...121003275.html
Old 08-09-16, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
There is already talk of a Harley film with Batgirl. Harley is DC's most popular female character, outselling Wonder Woman. Its going to happen.
If its Harley against Batgirl or something that would be completely different in my opinion. I could live with that but Harley as a character isn't really worthy of her own film despite how well she sells. Either she needs someone like Batgirl to face off with or she should be paired up with Ivy and Selina in a Gotham City Sirens film. She's just not that interesting on her own.
Old 08-09-16, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Make sure that you check it out before you purchase to make sure you're happy with what you're getting. A ton of the music that is in the movie isn't on the soundtrack album.
You're absolutely right...I might still snag it, but I'll wait. I started playing it through my head and thinking, there should be at least 20 tracks on this thing...nope only 14. Missed opportunity for sure.

Originally Posted by Mike Long
The kids dragged me to see this. Here are some thoughts:

-- This owes a lot to Escape from New York. A LOT. From the city mission to the neck implants, it was very obvious to me.
I agree with this sentiment and not just because its my favorite movie...but a lot of elements were grabbed from that classic. Heck, technically Deadshot wore his signature eye piece/patch in the early scenes just for icing on the cake to the EFNY analogy.
Old 08-09-16, 12:37 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
There's always talk like that. It's not rare to hear things like that.
Old 08-09-16, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Robbie talked about how lucky she was to get the part:

“I feel like I hit the lottery… The chicks never get these roles – we never get the roles where we have the funny one-liners and then the kick-ass action scene, but then also, like ,an intricate character with an awesome story arc – you just don’t really get that, like in a big-budget film.”

On the possibility of a Harley Quinn spinoff, dealing with either her backstory or her relationship with The Joker?

“I’m trying to make that happen. Not for anything specifically, but just something – there’s so much more to do.”

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.