Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
1.23%
1.23%
14.81%
20.99%
30.86%
12.35%
3.70%
11.11%
3.70%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-16, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/ja...oesn-t-/414192

Jared Leto says response to 'Suicide Squad' doesn't have 'very much to do with' him

Jared Leto has said the response to Suicide Squad "doesn't have very much to do with" him.

The actor, who plays The Joker in the new movie, said he had heard there had been a "mixed response" to the film.

Speaking to NME, he said: "I've heard that there's been a very mixed response. It's easy to hear that, but I haven't seen the film and I'm in the film so little that that really has not very much to do with me and what I'm doing now and talking and sharing the film."

He also said he would have liked to have seen more of The Joker in the film. "We shot so much footage, there are so many scenes that are not in the film," he said.

"I haven't seen the movie yet so I don't know exactly what's been cut out or not, but I do understand it's a bit of an introduction to the Joker, it's a bit more of a supporting part than maybe it could have been if they had used everything. But they have a method to their madness."

Suicide Squad is in cinemas now.
Old 08-06-16, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Leto better calm it down. *cough* Edward Norton *cough*
Old 08-06-16, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Watched it last night with a packed house and really enjoyed it. Crowd seemed to be into it as well with some laughs here and there and some "oh damn" types of reactions to some of Amanda Waller's actions (that is one bad *@!%!).

My only real complaint is the same one that comes along with almost every superhero film (DC, Marvel or whatever) is a another weak villain. Really wanted more of the Joker, but that small taste of Joker/Harley/Batman certainly makes me hope that they all share some time together in the Batman solo movie.

Now, if only WB could stop screwing around with final cuts. While I have enjoyed their current big 3 (MoS, BvS and SS) seems they could have even better and bigger movies (at least for the latter two) if they would stop interfering.
Old 08-06-16, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Haven't seen it yet (possibly this weekend, maybe during the week) so here are some random reactionary thoughts ...

Dooku, I agree with you. If a movie looks like something I want to see, I'm going to go see it. I'm not going to say "oh man, it's October so I can't go see "Aliens vs. Predator vs. Batman vs. Zombies In Space: Part 3 Electrocution Boogaloo on a Plane". The world has changed and so have television viewing and theater going habits.

Jared Leto ... Oh, Jared. First you cry and whine that if you would die like Heath did, people would love your Joker. Poor taste, very VERY poor taste. Now you are pulling a Trump (warning: the election is already rigged so when he looses it isn't his fault) saying the movie doesn't have anything to do with you because your scenes were cut, so if the movie is panned it isn't your fault. Then you say you haven't seen it ... How do you know if it was better with your scenes then? I can't say you were ever a box office draw in the first place. I honestly can't name anything were even in, other than playing Shaggy in Scooby Doo. Wait, that wasn't you. Subway commercials? Oh, wrong Jared.

WB and DC ... Enough already. I'm betting the Joker scenes were cut late in the game so you had something to add back in and promote for the home video release. You intentionally make shit out of things that should be no-brainer-easy, collect the money at the box office, then promise to make it better so you can collect again on video. I fell for it once with Batman vs. Superman -- I have tried four times now to get through that utter piece of shit on Blu Ray and I still am not even half way through (and I wasn't overly harsh on the theatrical release). Sorry, I'm not shilling extra dollars to buy back Leto's Joker (especially since he's being a whiny little bitch).
Old 08-06-16, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I can't say you were ever a box office draw in the first place. I honestly can't name anything were even in, other than playing Shaggy in Scooby Doo. Wait, that wasn't you. Subway commercials? Oh, wrong Jared.
This isn't directly related, but this made me think of a conversation that I had with my friend after seeing the movie. He was complaining about Will Smith having top billing. Love him or hate him, he's really the only legitimate movie star in this film (and Affleck, but he was a cameo), nobody else has ever opened a giant movie like this one. He couldn't seem to grasp that.

He tried to throw names like Leto and Jay Hernandez and me, and I just told him to STFU.
Old 08-06-16, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Leto's a pretty decent actor when he needs to be (Dallas Buyers, Requiem for a Dream) but yeah, he's being a little whiney about it.

Maybe it's time for that 30 Second to Mars death metal album.

As for stars, yeah it's Smith and Robbie, and they weren't hanging a super high budget movie on Robbie alone. Though with comic book movies, it's tough to tell how much star power matters.
Old 08-06-16, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Leto's a pretty decent actor when he needs to be (Dallas Buyers, Requiem for a Dream) but yeah, he's being a little whiney about it.
I don't blame him, after all they were using his character and behind the scene antics to sell the movie and he's only in it for 15 minutes.
Old 08-06-16, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Leto does have a nice singing voice. He did a cover of Bad Romance and it was excellent.
Old 08-06-16, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222
I don't blame him, after all they were using his character and behind the scene antics to sell the movie and he's only in it for 15 minutes.
Valid, tho to be fair he would have probably been fine with 15 compared to the 7 he got.
Old 08-06-16, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Purchased my ticket online. Going to see a matinee in a few hours.

There were only like 5 seats left when I bought the ticket for a 3:30pm PT show. Even though this movie has gotten trashed by critics, people are still wanting to see it.
Old 08-06-16, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
Purchased my ticket online. Going to see a matinee in a few hours.

There were only like 5 seats left when I bought the ticket for a 3:30pm PT show. Even though this movie has gotten trashed by critics, people are still wanting to see it.
$146m+ weekend domestic agrees with your assessment
Old 08-06-16, 04:49 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Critics critique of movies doesn't mean shit, apparently.
Old 08-06-16, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kd5
Rarely does on highly anticipated movies.
Old 08-06-16, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Just got out of a matinee a while ago. Truthfully the film is far from perfect but I kind of enjoyed it. The biggest problems it has to me are the plot isn't the best and the villain seemed pretty lacking. I think the film makes up for some of its shortcomings because the characters are good for the most part. Normally I'm not a very big fan of Will Smith but he worked for me in this. Robbie was standout as Harley too. Those two characters really make the film but I enjoyed the others too. The brief bits with Affleck as Batman were great too. I'm really excited to see his solo film.

The one thing I'll say against the film is Leto as The Joker. In fairness there's not a whole lot to go off of but I'm not sold on him. It still feels to me like he and the filmmakers are trying too hard with this interpretation of the character. I tried liking him when he'd show up but I'm just not feeling it. He feels a bit like some crazed meth head or something that's also a gang boss. For some reason I keep thinking of James Franco from Spring Breakers only more insane.

Overall though I'd say that this wasn't as bad as critics are making it out to be. It isn't perfect either but I enjoyed it. Honestly it might be the most enjoyable DC film to date just because it's something different. I definitely liked this more after my first viewing than I did Batman V Superman.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-06-16 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-06-16, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I went to Bourne last night and people were lined up out the building for SS a good :45 minutes before showtime. Kinda blew my mind given the reviews.
Old 08-06-16, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw it and overall I liked it a lot. This is another example of a movie which seemed to be majorly shit on by critics but is nowhere near as bad as they are making it out to be. Not really sure what movie they were watching.

Pros:

-Viola Davis, Margot Robie, Jai Courtney and Will Smith were great in this movie. Davis killed it as Waller and was just as cold and calculating as would be expected. Robie was hot as hell as Harley and brought her to life well. Honestly I think she stole the show. Jai Courtney actually showed some personality which I enjoyed. Nice to see the pink unicorn appear also. Will Smith I actually thought was pretty good as Deadshot and had some nice moments with his daughter. I didn't get the complaint that they needed more development. They were just as developed as Black Panther, Hawkeye and Black Widow were in the Marvel movies.

-The stuff with Batman was great. Loved the shot of him descending behind Smith and the brief parts with Harley and Joker including him punching her in the face. Really want to see more of his Batman but it would be nice if he shaved.

-Loved all the easter eggs. I about lost my shit when they paid tribute to one of Alex Ross' most famous paintings. It makes me think that Geoff Johns probably had more involvement.

-The tone I thought was pretty cool. I liked how it felt like a war movie after the squad goes on their first mission. I also thought it had pretty well shot action.

-I actually liked the fact that the villain was supernatural based. It made the Squad seem more overmatched and more desperate.

-Yes there's humor and it's not all dark.

Cons:

-Not really sold on Leto's Joker. I liked him but I didn't at the same time. It's an interesting take but I just wasn't sold entirely on him. I did like how they used him in the background though. I think that it makes him a more interesting character. I did like how he was more comic book like though such as the scene of him shooting up a room with people in costumes and a Batman mask.

-Katana was completely wasted. She really has no standout moment other than not speaking English and being played by an actress that no one knows.

-I didn't like Cara as June Moore/Enchantress at all. She seemed too young to be a doctor and I didn't really think she was a good actress. I would have preferred someone older.

-
Spoiler:
I'm still not sure whether Joker pushed Harley out of the copter or if she fell out

Spoiler:
The scene with Harleys fantasy seemed out of character. I buy her being normal but the Joker shouldn't have looked normal

-The music was waaaaaay overplayed in this movie. It almost started to border on ridiculous.

I liked this a lot though. I think it was just as good as some of Marvel's movies and I thought it was an entertaining movie. 4/5
Old 08-06-16, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
Originally Posted by RichC2
Rarely does on highly anticipated movies.
Just like with Batman/Superman, pre-sales for Squad were threw the roof. Bad reviews don't wave people off when they already have tickets in hand for something they've been anticipating for weeks. Critics will have an impact in ten days when the buzz has past and people have to decide whether they want to spend time/money.
Old 08-06-16, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I look for this movie to beat the % drop record set by BatmanvSuperman.
Old 08-06-16, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I just got back from a matinee. I gave it 3 1/2 stars and probably a B or B-

Nowhere near as terrible as some of these reviews say it is or the as reflected by the Rotten Tomatoes score. I guess this is something that you're either going to like or not.

I thought it was a mostly fun 2 hours and moved at a pretty brisk pace. Didn't think that any of it was boring. It set up the recruitment of this band of misfits pretty well and I liked seeing some of their backstory. I liked Smith as Deadshot and I also liked Robbie as Harley. Lots of action and some dark humor.

Viola Davis was great as Amanda Waller. Perfectly cast. Had the gravitas of the character and was very intimidating.

My real criticism of this movie would be the villain/threat. I wish Ayer would have written a much more grounded villain or threat. Having the main threat be some kind of supernatural being that was the alter ego of Rick Flag's girlfriend was a disappointment. The Joker was really an afterthought compared to this witch and her supernatural being brother. Very over the top and somewhat corny IMO. Way out of the league of the Suicide Squad. The Joker and his band of terrorists would have been a better overall villain, but then you would run into some trouble because of Harley's allegiance to him.

Liked seeing Batman/Bruce Wayne's cameo for a few scenes. The Flash did feel tacked on though.

The movie ended with a cliffhanger involving the Joker, so I guess if a sequel is greenlit, they will go into him some more.

I stayed for the Mid-Credits bonus scene and it looks like it was a teaser/setup for Wayne recruiting Curry and Barry Allen for Justice League next year.

Glad I saw it. There are certainly worst ways to spend a Saturday afternoon and this wasn't a waste of time IMO.
Old 08-06-16, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's funny I keep hearing people say that Viola Davis is intimidating/more frightening than the villains. I thought she was good in the role but really the only scene where I thought she really came off as a badass was when she kills those FBI guys.
Old 08-06-16, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Best Ben Affleck-Will Smith movie since Jersey Girl.

Wasn't perfect was pretty entertaining. 2nd most entertaining comic book flick after Deadpool for this year (yes, I saw BvS and Cap 3).

Did the Flash have his high tech armor suit as seen in the JL footage? If so, I figured he got that suit from Bruce Wayne. Don't they show a low tech suit for him in the JL footage when he meets Bruce?
Old 08-06-16, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Speaking of Bruce, there are now over 8 people in the DCU who knows his alter-ego.
Old 08-06-16, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I thought it was pretty lousy. The whole "different cuts" thing sounds about right considering it felt like they used several different cuts to make one movie.

Jared Leto has always seemed like the worlds biggest douche bag to me. I hope he does get his walking papers because his Joker was subpar.

2.5/5
Old 08-07-16, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see it happening but I'd have no problem whatsoever if this version of The Joker was retconned out of the DC extended universe. Maybe it's judging him too harshly but I don't see the character growing on me as is. The look already bothers me and I didn't think Leto's performance made up for it. He was just okay but not really memorable.
Old 08-07-16, 12:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Me and my lady really liked it a lot. Not quite 4 stars but better than 3.5 stars. 3.75 is good in my eyes as the only real con is the rather weak ending. I didn't mind the supernatural angle or Incubus/Enchantress, but the way the good bad guys took out the bad bad guys was a bit silly. Still, it's about the characters and she and I agreed we want to see more Deadshot and Joker/Harley. We were okay with Croc but we definitely want more Katana too! And someone finally figured how to make Jai (Boomerang) be cool. That's gotta be considered a modern miracle!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.