Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
1.25%
1.25%
15.00%
21.25%
31.25%
12.50%
3.75%
10.00%
3.75%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 08-04-16, 11:45 PM

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,864 Posts
Re: Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Wow. This was pretty terrible. Some of the worst CGI I've seen in a major summer tent pole.

Margot Robbie is sexy as fuck though.
Old 08-05-16, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

Am I correct in assuming we see a stuntman Batman, vs Batfleck himself?
Old 08-05-16, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 682 Likes on 526 Posts

Just got back from this and it was a hot mess. An entertaining mess, nonetheless. I will not be posting spoiler tags, so fuck you if you haven't seen it - don't know what the fuck you're doing in this thread anyways. Here goes.

Margot Robbie is spectacularly hot even when she's not, which is never. Even in the visions and she was shown a vision of her and Joker in marital bliss she looked smoking hot. She nailed the character.

The Joker might as well have been a cameo. From the trailers - they seemed to have cut a few scenes out altogether. The line in the bar where Harley asks Diablo if he wants a drink and he says "water" and she replies with "good idea, honey" was completely missing and there has been footage of the joker with a burnt side of his face. When we see the helicopter crash that's the end of it - we don't get to see him until the end of the movie and he's all fresh and clean.

People cheered at the Flash cameo and as far as this line:

Yes, thanks for the heads-up. How about next time, instead of telling us how bad you are, you actually show us?
Deadshot killed a shitload of guys by himself that got a great response from the audience. He did lots.

I didn't like that they did not spend enough time on certain characters - Boomerang got shafted and Jai Courtney was quite awesome. Slipknot was a tool and severely wasted. Enchantress, her brother, etc., were great. I liked how my peeps were represented by El Diablo. It seems in this world you have meta-humans and demigods. Batman's cameos were cool, too.

The visual aesthetic was great - the color palette was bright and garish. The soundtrack was overbearing at times, because they were just playing hit after hit after hit - I kept thinking that each of those songs was at least a six-figure check to each of those artists featured.

Be sure to stay for a mid-credit sequence featuring…there's nothing after the credits. I do hope that when the BD is released that it's released in an Ultimate Cut edition.
Old 08-05-16, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

List of stuff that was cut out/changed

Spoiler:

In short:I
Opening scene changed. Instead of June Moon in the cave finding and turning into the Enchantress it changed into the Deadshot scene that you saw in the clips (you still get the Enchantress origin scene but it happens after that).
Added two scenes between Deadshot and Flag as well as a scene where Deadshot fight the Enchantress.
The scene where Joker fight the Squad over Harley was cut. As well as him in the subway talking to them.
Took down most of the scenes where he abused Harley. Changed a scene where he pushs her from an helicopter after fighting him to her jumping herself.
Took down the scene where Boomerang comes back to help the Squad after leaving them.
Took down a little story arc between Boomerang and Harley (you see a glimpse of it in the comic con trailer).
Added the Flash cameo.
There were other changes but I want to get everything first to put on a full list.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCEUleaks/c..._screening_to/

Old 08-05-16, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,318 Likes on 951 Posts

Really disappointing to hear they cut out a lot of the Joker's material (this was also mentione by Jared Leto recently).

Hopefully we'll be getting a extended cut on blu-ray that puts a lot of this stuff back in.
Old 08-05-16, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Am I correct in assuming we see a stuntman Batman, vs Batfleck himself?
Affleck is in the movie.
Old 08-05-16, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 424 Likes on 214 Posts

The first 30 to 40 minutes was lots of fun and showed promise, but the rest of the movie failed to deliver on that promise. Margot Robbie was great, Will Smith was Will Smith, and everyone else is severely underdeveloped. I was intrigued by Leto's Joker, but he isn't in the movie enough for me to really say whether I liked it or not.

The threat never feels real, the moment where the team bands together and Diablo's sacrifice don't feel earned, and most of the third act was boring as shit.
Old 08-05-16, 07:20 AM

I love how the studio continues to take the MoS death and destruction critique to heart. BvS is a reaction to it. And in this they throw in a quick scene that shows the city evacuation hub. So the entire movie happens in an empty city.
Old 08-05-16, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
DCEU
You're not pulling any punches in this thread and it has me rolling!!!!
Old 08-05-16, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just saw it 5 other friends (including wife) and we all enjoyed it...great comic book movie. Critics were WAY off base.
-The only thing I did not like was the tumbling/crashing helicopters

Music Great - Check
Humor - Check (So there critics)
Action - Check
Batman (Small amount) - Check

Villains - A little strange
Old 08-05-16, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Saw it last night.

Pros:

-Liked the use of source music
-Production design and other visuals were top notch, but with a $175 million budget that should be a given.
-Davis owned as Amanda Waller
-Robbie did well as Quinn, with what little she was given. Also, after seeing this and "Focus", there's no denying she and Will Smith have good on screen chemistry.

Cons:
-The use of source music to excess
-The role of Rick Flagg seemed like Kinnaman was doing a Tom Hardy impression at times. I understand he was the original choice for the role, and I don't know if that was intentional, but it was kind of distracting.
-They seemed to forget that when all is said and done, these are a bunch of bad guys. They work together but more or less it's reluctantly. Lord forbid Will Smith have to play a role where he can't do his Will Smith bit. Harley Quinn might be attractive, but she's still a freaking cold-blooded killer like her boyfriend Joker.
-Please tell me Leto's Joker is some kind of impersonator and not the real one. Joker would never act this over the top or be this attached to Quinn. Leto did a fine job acting, but the way the character was written was terrible.
-Lame villains, lame love story subplot
-Why even have Slipknot in the movie if you're just going to use him to illustrate that the implants work?
-Killer Croc was enjoyable, but he was obviously a stand-in for King Shark in the original run. Shark has been rendered rather impressively in the lower budget Flash series , why can't they use him in a big budget movie?

It's kind of sad because I felt this movie had potential. But right now the DCCU is coming across like WCW in its dying days against WWE; like a photocopy of a superior product. It's painfully obvious that these movies have WB suit fingerprints all over them. I think if Ayers wanted to find a movie to look to for inspiration on telling story with bad guys as the protagonists, he should have taken a look at Natural Born Killers. I really do wish they had given these characters that kind of edge.
All that said, I don't see how this is registering (slightly) higher than BvS . I thought that movie was quite a bit better than this one and didn't deserve all of the hate (after viewing the extended edition). Maybe a director's cut of this will fill in some holes, and this movie had plenty.
Old 08-05-16, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 424 Likes on 214 Posts

$20.5 Million from Thursday night, nearly doubling the August record.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4213&p=.htm

FRIDAY AM UPDATE: Suicide Squad got off to a strong start last night, pulling in $20.5 million from Thursday night preview screenings nearly doubling the previous August record of $11.2 million set by Guardians of the Galaxy back in 2014 before it opened with $94.3 million, the current August opening weekend record. Suicide Squad screenings started at approximately 6 PM and took place in 3,700+ locations
Old 08-05-16, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

These two, what would have been scenes/clips, were not in the final film:

Old 08-05-16, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The only scene that I could tell that was not in the film (from this trailer) is the scene with Katana without a mask.
Old 08-05-16, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 169 Likes on 112 Posts

^^^
Still the best trailer.

Not really into the comic book films but that trailer made me want to see this film. The more fun/comedic ones that followed, not so much.
Old 08-05-16, 10:29 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 487 Likes on 430 Posts

probably resigned to see this tomorrow. low expectations, but free is free...
Old 08-05-16, 10:44 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Want to ask those who saw the movie if these two items were just left hanging or if I missed something during the movie:

- Capt. Boomerrang's pink unicorn: they mention it in the opening as part of his file, we see him sneak the pink unicorn into his coat during the gear up scene, and then he picks up the unicorn after a fight and hides it in his coat again (I don't think we see the unicorn fall out during the fight, but guess it did). It seems like the unicorn might play a role somewhere (since they referenced it 3 times across the movie): was there a character development moment involving the pink unicorn? Was there a bomb or something in it? The action was kinda muddled together in the end, and not sure if the pink unicorn came into play.
- Enchantress trying to capture Rick Flag: this happened twice...Enchantress' minions try to carry him off but are stopped by the team. I got a sense maybe June Moone was playing a role in this, or maybe Enchantress was going to do something to Rick Flag to punish June Moone. Was it ever addressed why she was trying to capture Rick Flag? It never came into play in the end (like June Moone resisting Enchantress, which didn't seem to happen), and not sure if maybe there was something that happened which explained this.
Old 08-05-16, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I love how the studio continues to take the MoS death and destruction critique to heart. BvS is a reaction to it. And in this they throw in a quick scene that shows the city evacuation hub. So the entire movie happens in an empty city.
That's what happens when the first movie in your cinematic universe is a big fucking turd. It defines everything that happens after.
Old 08-05-16, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Might not be shown in China
Old 08-05-16, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 631 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Considering BvS made $95m in China, I'm sure WB isn't happy about it. Less about losing money (I keep hearing they get maybe 25% of Chinese ticket sales) and more about reputation.
Old 08-05-16, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 169 Likes on 112 Posts

Down to 26% on RT, if anyone cares.

Originally Posted by Rob Carnevale - Indie London
...it’s time to stop giving this kind of thing a pass based on what loosely works for a few seconds. Filmmakers and interfering studios need to do better – if only to treat their audiences with more respect.
Old 08-05-16, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Damn, seems like they cut out almost a quarter of the movie. If they're smart, they'll release an Ultimate Cut to make back the money they lose on the theatrical version.
Old 08-05-16, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Damn, seems like they cut out almost a quarter of the movie. If they're smart, they'll release an Ultimate Cut to make back the money they lose on the theatrical version.
Or they could just get the movie right the first time
Old 08-05-16, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Man of Steel - 55% rotten
BvS - 27% rotten
Suicide Squad - 26% rotten

Keep on chugging on the grimdark train DC! Looks to be working out pretty well for ya.
Old 08-05-16, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

What a shitty movie. I can't believe all the hype about Leto's Joker, and he was hardly in it! He had very few lines of dialog, and his maniacal laugh got old quickly. Will Smith did his usual I'm-cooler-than-all-y'alls schtick. The croc character was laughably fake looking and pointless. Jai Courtney's character seemed like an afterthought and served no purpose either. I can't even remember his name or the name of the prisoner who tried to flee and got killed early on. Some of Diablo's fire effects looked fake, as did the swirling light show above the Enchantress. Speaking of the witch, I didn't really get who she was because by the time they got to her backstory I was already checking my watch.

Did the government really need to break out these prisoners to go up against the Enchantress? Were they really the only hope that mankind had to defeat her? Why didn't they call upon Batman or Wonder Woman or ask them to go up against her together? Was Deadshot truly the only person on the planet capable of hitting his mark with a gun? And what purpose did it serve to set Harley Quinn free? Don't get me wrong--I enjoyed her: she was the only bright spot in the whole movie. But what special talent did she possess that warranted turning her loose?

It's too bad the Joker was so underused in this film. I look forward to seeing what else Leto can do with the role in a future film, and hopefully he's accompanied by Quinn. I agree there were too many songs used throughout the film. You could almost predict each time another one would play as if the director were using it for laughs or trying to make a scene seem badass. Lord knows the film could have used more laughs since the whole premise was ridiculous to begin with. I wish I had rented this or just skipped it altogether. 1 star.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.