Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
1.23%
1.23%
14.81%
20.99%
30.86%
12.35%
3.70%
11.11%
3.70%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-16, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by greydt
- Liked Will Smith as Deadshot, although he was kinda playing more Will Smith than Deadshot
Shocker...
Old 08-03-16, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I now have zero interest seeing this in theaters.
Old 08-03-16, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

http://www.wweek.com/arts/2016/08/03/suicide-squad/

Suicide Squad: The Bad Guys Look a Little Too Good
The Squad can't steal superdom back from sad Ben Affleck.

Marvel made a whole blockbuster out of Deadpool cracking dick jokes while filleting his enemies. The worst we get in Suicide Squad is Harley Quinn breaking a department store window to steal a handbag. "Don't forget," Deadshot reminds at one point, "we're the bad guys."

Yes, thanks for the heads-up. How about next time, instead of telling us how bad you are, you actually show us?
Old 08-03-16, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

WB needs to bring back Joel Schumacher.
Old 08-03-16, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greydt
Saw a screening tonight (work related event) - had loved the Bohemian Rhapsody trailer, was a fan of the comic in the early days, but never watched BvS (although I heard about the problems). Avoided the reviews and went in with some hope and ultimately found it...mediocre .

Not going to spoil anything (despite this being a spoiler filled review thread), but will keep things broad. My problems were:
- BIGGEST: the team interaction should have been the most important aspect and could usually get a viewer past a weak plot...unfortunately, the drama/camaraderie felt way too forced. The best way I can describe it was that it felt: "unearned"
- Joker was interesting but felt like he was crashing someone else's movie. He might have made a great main villain if given the chance
- all of Harley's best lines were in the trailers (to the point where her funny lines barely got a laugh in the audience). After awhile, she was even a little grating on me, which was surprising because I was expecting to like her in this and be a standout character.

Neutral:
- Plot was "eh". I tend to forgive this (even though I shouldn't) in comic book movies, but this plot was very generic. I think the Suicide Squad premise is AWESOME, but was "oh, they're going this route?" once the plot started to kick in. Tying into this is the half baked villain & the reason for them trying to destroy everything. These points can all be moved into "Negatives" if you're less forgiving than me.
- Not really sure what the point of having Katana in the movie

Positives:
- Liked Will Smith as Deadshot, although he was kinda playing more Will Smith than Deadshot (I don't really recall Deadshot having much of a standout personality in the comics?)
- Amanda Waller scares me more than any member of the Suicide Squad

All in all, if you're going to see it, go in with low expectations and maybe you'll come out enjoying it more?
Do you think this movie would have worked better if they held off on the whole idea of Suicide Squad till most of the main characters had been villians of some sort in other DC movies and THEN done SS?
Old 08-04-16, 06:35 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
Do you think this movie would have worked better if they held off on the whole idea of Suicide Squad till most of the main characters had been villians of some sort in other DC movies and THEN done SS?
That would have been cool! However, these types of ensemble movies have been done before successfully (Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven, Dirty Dozen). The problem with SS is that the team probably knew each other for a total of 12 hours and the interactions seemed "unearned" because:
- they get mellow/sentimental with each other before the big fight but nothing prior to it builds to it. Hence, when El Diablo says he's doing something for his "new family", it feels soooo manufactured.
- Rick Flag seems to have a directed dislike at Deadshot in the beginning (for no discernible reason since the rest of the team, minus Katana, are all criminals as well) just so that they can be bros later in the movie.
- as per a review quote earlier in this thread, it really is apt that that they are mostly just saying they're "bad" vs actually acting/showing it . There's no underlying menace to the characters which kinda neutered them. Again, Amanda Waller is probably the most cold blooded of them all (which does make sense)

With better dialogue, pacing and probably direction, they could have pulled it off (as other ensemble movies have, like the examples I gave earlier). I did forget to mention the action scenes: maybe it was the theater I was in but all of it was mostly in dim light/at night. Lots of cutting and I couldn't make out a lot of it. Action was okay but nothing special since it was mainly shooting/clubbing/slashing/punching waves and waves of the same kind of enemies before reaching the big bads. I think the only cool power moments were El Diablo at the end and Deadshot's stand against a wave of bad guys in the middle, but nothing stands out much from a "cool use of powers" scene.
Old 08-04-16, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I'm shocked...shocked that Will Smith is playing Will Smith more than the character he's supposed to be playing. Never seen that before.

I'm probably going to try and sneak this in over the weekend...but may wait until the crowds die down. I guess Warners is still expecting a huge opening, but it will be interesting to see now if it's closer to $100 million than $150 million (last I read they were targeting about $140 million - but that was before the onslaught of awful reviews).
Old 08-04-16, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see a lot of the reviews criticizing the PG-13 rating and that always confused me too. Deadpool showed there's an audience for (good) R-rated comic book movies, and if anything screams for an R-rating, it's Suicide Squad.

Edit: Although if the movie's shit, it doesn't matter what the rating is. Obviously.
Old 08-04-16, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
The problem though is WB is so obvious in their desperation tactics that it's hard to ignore. Release a dark toned trailer for SS. "Oh shit, BvS is being criticized for being too dark? Quick, change the tone of SS squad by adding in comedic elements and just to prove that it's not dark anymore release a trailer that highlights the comedic tone." "See, it's not BvS! Love us, please! What, fan reaction is high for Harley Quinn? Release more ads with her in the forefront!"

Piss poor production decisions aside, WB acts like that annoying kid in elementary school who would do anything if you pretended to be his friend. No one liked that kid.
That's true, although it makes me wonder how the screenings of both versions went. I imagine even the "dark" version wasn't overwhelmingly good or better at the time, and really makes me think they had no idea what they were doing. I know a couple folks here seem to like the darker tone more, but I loved the "zany" stuff and thought if they made Harley the main star it would suit her perfectly.
Old 08-04-16, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Recently Ayer denied the reshoots were to add more humor to the movie. He said you can't just change the tone of an entire movie by splicing in a few humorous scenes, but it's sounding like that's exactly what they tried to do.
Old 08-04-16, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

DCEU
Old 08-04-16, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

About 4 months ago

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/03/...-dc-movieverse

SUICIDE SQUAD Reshoots Bode Well For The DC Movieverse - It's getting funnier.

A couple of weeks ago I spoke with an excellent source who told me something surprising: the trailer for Suicide Squad, the one with the Queen song, did not represent the film as it then existed. "Every joke in the movie is in that trailer," this source told me. The enormous positive response to the trailer led to Warner Bros requesting reshoots that would alter the tone of the film, bringing in some more of the lightness to which audiences responded.

I have since spoken to more sources and I understand that the reshoots are happening right now, as recently as this week, and that they're big - tens of millions of dollars big. And they're adding more humor and lightness into the film.

This, to me, is great news. Hearing that WB is aware that they need to inject some fun into these movies - and that's what I'm hearing is happening here, not that they're inserting jokes left and right but that they're beefing up fun character moments and interactions - can only mean good things for the future of the DC Movieverse after the deadly serious, zero fun Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Justice League begins shooting very, very soon - within a couple of weeks - could this attitude find itself a home on the set of the next Zack Snyder movie? Remember, this is the guy who didn't have Superman and Wonder Woman speak one word to each other - will WB mandate more character interactions? Word is that they're being much more involved this time around...
Old 08-04-16, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I wonder how the cast and crews of both the Justice League and Wonder Woman are taking this? It seems that after Batman v Superman Ben Affleck had real reservations about moving forward with the character unless the studio got its shit together. We have had recent releases of pretty solid trailers for both movies, however the Suicide Squad trailers have played pretty damn well with audiences. Might they be feeling that they are working in movies that might not live up to expectations? The best decision that Warners has made in recent times was to get Affleck to take total control over the Batman movie. It sounds like he wants to ensure the story is nailed down before moving into production, and this has been the studios biggest failing.

I bought my tickets for the IMAX showing on Sunday. I had decided that i was gonna actually give it a miss after being pretty psyched to see it, but my step daughter got my wife on her side and they both told me to get tickets. Lets see how much value i get from $50.
Old 08-04-16, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Yeah after a fairly strong SDCC showing this must feel like taking steps backwards again. I have to imagine there's even more pressure on Wonder Woman and Justice League being good now. Two critical failures in a year has to sting for Warner/DC. Add on to that the first film in this universe wasn't the most well received either.
Old 08-04-16, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I wonder how the cast and crews of both the Justice League and Wonder Woman are taking this? It seems that after Batman v Superman Ben Affleck had real reservations about moving forward with the character unless the studio got its shit together. We have had recent releases of pretty solid trailers for both movies, however the Suicide Squad trailers have played pretty damn well with audiences. Might they be feeling that they are working in movies that might not live up to expectations? The best decision that Warners has made in recent times was to get Affleck to take total control over the Batman movie. It sounds like he wants to ensure the story is nailed down before moving into production, and this has been the studios biggest failing.
It just goes to show you that you can't manufacture creativity on an assembly line.

Marvel did not lay out plans years in advance for an extended universe and many films. IRON MAN happened organically. The vast majority of the public had no familiarity with IRON MAN, but Favreau made a great movie with the perfect star, and the masses were introduced to the world of THE AVENGERS.

Three years later when CAPTAIN AMERICA came out, the style and tone of the movie was completely different from IRON MAN because Joe Johnson is a different filmmaker.

I don't know what creative vision Zach Snyder or David Ayers had for these movies, or if they had any at all.
Old 08-04-16, 01:45 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

I think this was a good step, even if he was kind of already doing it... Hopefully he has more control now. But it is kind of too little, too late.

Geoff Johns Promoted to President of DC Entertainment
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/ge...nt-1201824871/
Old 08-04-16, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Yeah, so far with the Marvel movies i think there has only been Louis Letterier (maybe bad spelling there) directing the Incredible Hulk that seemed off, but even that movie i thought was pretty damn good and entertaining. They certainly make interesting choices with their directors. I mean seriously, who would ever have picture Kenneth Brannagh directing a Thor movie. But think about it and it was a seriously great choice. I actually love the first Thor movie and it did a great job setting up the character without making him come off cheesy which was real easy to do with this guy. The initial meetings between directors and Marvel execs must be cool to eaves drop on. They seem to get people who are fully invested in the movies and bring a lot to the table and its not just a 9-5 job for them. The fact the Feige seems to really oversee every aspect with a lot of care and dedication is the glue that bonds it all together. Hopefully Geoff Johns can be that guy for DC.
Old 08-04-16, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I dunno. Johns has been the top guy in the comics division and editorial interfering with creative vision has been the complaint for a long time. People say it's because of the parent company interfering, but even if that's the case, how much more will they interfere with him here?
Old 08-04-16, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I'm a bit iffy on Johns anyways. He's never been my favorite writer but I know he's had some involvement with the CW shows which are overall decent. I think having him on board is better than someone not involved with comics but we'll have to wait a while to see how things go with him being more involved with the films going forward. I'm guessing he didn't have much say on Suicide Squad given that it was basically done before Warner announced him as part of their DC film division.
Old 08-04-16, 09:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Even with my free tix, I may skip this. Tbd...
Old 08-04-16, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Slipknot was the bomb in Suicide Squad, yo!
Old 08-04-16, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Slipknot was the bomb in Suicide Squad, yo!

I LOVE SLIPKNOT !!

Spoiler:
........Still hilarious over a decade later
Old 08-04-16, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This feels like Ayer wrote a smaller character piece and DC made him do reshoots with the Ghostbusters stuff. That design for the Enchantress looks incredibly familiar to me for some reason.
Old 08-04-16, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The movie was boring. Surprisingly, the only character I actually cared what happened to was Deadshot. Leto was laughable, not in a good way. Harley Quinn was hot.
Old 08-04-16, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I LOVE SLIPKNOT !!

Spoiler:
........Still hilarious over a decade later
Man I miss the old late night show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.