Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
1.23%
1.23%
14.81%
20.99%
30.86%
12.35%
3.70%
11.11%
3.70%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-16, 08:58 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Re: Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Fans Start Petition To Shut Down Rotten Tomatoes
We need this site to be shut down because It's Critics always give The DC Extended Universe movies unjust Bad Reviews, Like

1- Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 2016

2- Suicide Squad 2016

and that Affects people's opinion even if it's a really great movies
Old 08-02-16, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Top Comment:

Originally Posted by Change.org
Me stupid. me not understand site is aggregate not movie-reviewer

Babyfarts Mcgee, Berge, Norway
Old 08-02-16, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
That's not at all what the reviews I've read have said. They praise the character intros but then say it settles down and gets boring and stupid. Also the villains are apparently weak.

Doesn't sound like a problem with the characters but with the script and execution. So...basically it's another DC movie.
I've heard a couple places where the characters aside from Harley and Deadshot aren't well developed. There are intros but the other characters aren't really the focus.
Old 08-02-16, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like something a few folks here would sign
Old 08-02-16, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts

DC blows it again?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rev...-review-915825

Originally Posted by Todd McCarthy, Hollywood Reporter
A puzzlingly confused undertaking that never becomes as cool as it thinks it is, Suicide Squad assembles an all-star team of supervillains and then doesn’t know what to do with them.

Part smart-ass genre sendup, part grimy noir that wants to be as dirty as Deadpool but remains constrained by its PG-13 rating and part short-falling attempt by Warner Bros. to get a big-budget DC Comics mashup right, the film starts with promise but disengages as it loses its creative bearings.

The alluring cast and great expectations roused by some deceptively fun trailers should spark major box office at the outset. But a sense of disappointment will soon enshroud Suicide Squad, as it did the recent Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Suicide Squad may not quite commit harakiri, but it certainly feels like it’s taken far too many sleeping pills.
Ouch.

I didn't like the trailers, so this comes as no surprise to me. It just looked like a big fancy package with nothing inside. I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt that way.

It's still early, however, so who knows? Maybe the positive reviews will come over the next couple of days. Maybe the fan reaction will be through the roof. Somehow I doubt it, though...
Old 08-03-16, 12:22 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The marketing and the fact that Snyder isn't involved in this had me thinking the movie would be worth seeing in the theaters. Sounds like it's another candidate for a screening when it hits HBO.
Old 08-03-16, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
The marketing and the fact that Snyder isn't involved in this had me thinking the movie would be worth seeing in the theaters. Sounds like it's another candidate for a screening when it hits HBO.
I say this as someone who has no interest in this movie: i think what happened here is that Ayers was too far down the Snyder #grimdark hole, that by the time they had the reshoots to add humor to "save" this movie from the stink of BvS, it was already too late. And ultimately hurt it in the end. Because from what I've read tone is all over the place.
Old 08-03-16, 05:30 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Old 08-03-16, 06:03 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

^^ That review makes me think there will probably be a Director's Cut where all the "cutting room floor" footage will be restored and it will be a much more comprehensible movie, it'll be the movie that should have been shown in theaters. I'll wait to see that version, but if it never materializes, oh well...
Old 08-03-16, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Why does Stuckmann always have to make a stupid face in the thumbnail of his reviews? Does he really think the expression on his face generates more clicks?
Old 08-03-16, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

David Ayer, the writer-director of Suicide Squad, has a message about the film's disappointing reviews.

On Tuesday night, after a day of reviews for the highly anticipated anti-superhero film hit, Ayer tweeted: "Prefiero morir de pie que vivir de rodillas - Emiliano Zapata."

The quote translates to: "I'd prefer to die standing, than to live always on my knees."

He then followed that up with an explanation, "Zapata quote is my way of saying I love the movie and believe in it. Made it for the fans. Best experience of my life."
Old 08-03-16, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy shit.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...source=twitter
Old 08-03-16, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts

Middling review (one marginally negative vote, one marginally positive vote) from What The Flick...

Old 08-03-16, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
Looks like the studio interfered and lightened up the tone of the film. The darker director's cut would be more my cup of tea. I'll wait and see if that version ever surfaces on home video.
Old 08-03-16, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
^^ That review makes me think there will probably be a Director's Cut where all the "cutting room floor" footage will be restored and it will be a much more comprehensible movie, it'll be the movie that should have been shown in theaters. I'll wait to see that version, but if it never materializes, oh well...
So is that what DC is going to keep doing? Release an inferior version to theaters and reserve the watchable, superior cut for a Blu-ray release? Why not just get the movie right the first time?!?!
Old 08-03-16, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
Well whaddayaknow...I was kinda right.
Old 08-03-16, 10:41 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
So is that what DC is going to keep doing? Release an inferior version to theaters and reserve the watchable, superior cut for a Blu-ray release? Why not just get the movie right the first time?!?!
Because they dumb fucks
Old 08-03-16, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Aquaman may be their first "pure" film. I'm pretty sure WW's gonna get tinkered with and they for sure are going back into panic mode for Batman and Friends once the numbers for SS are final. They doubled down on Snyder and losing badly. Serves them right.
Old 08-03-16, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I caught so much shit for saying DC doesn't know what they're doing but it literally seems that way. Third strike now with this film. What the hell are they doing? Even a film with a more talented director gets fucked with and has a slew of problems that a future director's cut might fix. That's not how to make films.
Old 08-03-16, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I caught so much shit for saying DC doesn't know what they're doing but it literally seems that way. Third strike now with this film. What the hell are they doing? Even a film with a more talented director gets fucked with and has a slew of problems that a future director's cut might fix. That's not how to make films.
They are in desperation mode trying to emulate Marvel's success. And the execs don't trust the people they've hired to get them out of their rut. It's that simple.

Nolan set the bar too high (well, mostly...Dark Knight Rises is kinda bad) and they picked the darkest DC hero as the template for everything to come. Plus, though I love 300 and enjoyed Watchmen, Snyder was the WRONG choice to run the whole thing. He should have been booted when Man of Steel ate shit.

I think I'll go see a late showing of SS just so I can accurately share my opinion of it. Plus, my 10 year-old daughter is going to be Harley Quinn for Halloween and I told her I'd see the movie first to determine if it's appropriate for her to see it too.
Old 08-03-16, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The worst aspects of The Dark Knight Rises are better than any of the new DC films. People thought that film was bad but really it's just the weakest of that trilogy and not truly a bad film.

I'll still see Suicide Squad too just to form an opinion about it but I'm disappointed. Despite not liking the fact that it was done so early on I thought from the trailers the potential was there for a good film. It sounds like some aspects are fine but that overall it's another mess.
Old 08-03-16, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

It has to make 750 to 800 million to break even, when BvS made 875? Is that realistic? I guess Will Smith helps a ton, but still...
Old 08-03-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
It has to make 750 to 800 million to break even, when BvS made 875? Is that realistic? I guess Will Smith helps a ton, but still...
I would love to see an actual breakdown where all the box office revenue goes. I mean seriously, a movie with a $150-200M production needs to make like $900M to over $1 billion to be considered profitable? That can't be right. Sounds like ridiculously inflated numbers.

So for example, a big summer movie like X-Men Apocalypse, which made $534M worldwide is considered a bust when it made 3 times it's budget?
Old 08-03-16, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

DC/Warner...FUCK YOU.

Fuck you first and foremost for making the shit eating grin negative naysayers right about yet another one of your films. Reading their "I told you so!" and "DC blows it...again" comments sicken me in a very "Bill Shatner doing a voice over session" kinda way. FUCK YOU for interfering in the movie making process from your board rooms. Fuck you for not having the right studio head(s) who know how to turn this shit run around. Fuck you for not hiring the right people to make your films work. Fuck you for allowing Marvel to leave you in their dust.
Old 08-03-16, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Oh, Lordy. I just looked at IMDB, and Suicide Squad is sitting at an 8.4, pretty much the exact opposite of the situation with Ghostbusters. Fan boys are now artificially inflating the score as a counter-point to , well, pretty much everyone else...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.