Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
1.25%
1.25%
15.00%
21.25%
31.25%
12.50%
3.75%
10.00%
3.75%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 09-24-18, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

its like the guy who murders his wife and claims to have done it because of love
Old 09-24-18, 04:36 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 158 Posts

David Ayer was Rian Johnson before Rian Johnson Johnson'd Star Wars.
Old 09-24-18, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

Received 670 Likes on 508 Posts

Old 07-25-21, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 351 Likes on 259 Posts

I haven't seen any of the DCEU films but my wife and I are interested in watching the new Gunn Suicide Squad film so we decided to watch this and the Harley Quinn film first. Not really understanding all the hate other than people wanting to hate it as soon as they saw the Joker look. At it's core it is a generic action movie but no worse then the bottom tier MCU films. Margot Robbie, Will Smith, and Viola Davis were all fantastic. I have zero issues with the Joker's look but Leto just wasn't very memorable in the role. Overall I'd give it a C.
Old 07-25-21, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,042 Likes on 2,015 Posts

I watched it very late as well and was also a little confused as to the level of venom that has been spewed at it. Didn't love it, but thought it was at least watchable - - I even rather enjoyed the opening 15 minutes or so, despite the aggressive over-reliance of popular songs on the soundtrack.
The one area I will disagree with you on, Q, is Will Smith who I thought was dull, predictable and clearly didn't want to be there, IMO. It felt like the only way he was going to do it was if he could be the World's Best Dad and the most sympathetic Hitman ever. It rang false with me.
Old 07-26-21, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 201 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I watched it very late as well and was also a little confused as to the level of venom that has been spewed at it. Didn't love it, but thought it was at least watchable - - I even rather enjoyed the opening 15 minutes or so, despite the aggressive over-reliance of popular songs on the soundtrack.
The one area I will disagree with you on, Q, is Will Smith who I thought was dull, predictable and clearly didn't want to be there, IMO. It felt like the only way he was going to do it was if he could be the World's Best Dad and the most sympathetic Hitman ever. It rang false with me.
You are right, while I do like Will Smith enough to even like him in this movie, it seems like they had to write his character as nice as possible, which doesn't feel like the right fit. If they wanted him in this, he should have been Rick Flag and not a villain.
Old 07-26-21, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,092 Likes on 851 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
I haven't seen any of the DCEU films but my wife and I are interested in watching the new Gunn Suicide Squad film so we decided to watch this and the Harley Quinn film first. Not really understanding all the hate other than people wanting to hate it as soon as they saw the Joker look. At it's core it is a generic action movie but no worse then the bottom tier MCU films. Margot Robbie, Will Smith, and Viola Davis were all fantastic. I have zero issues with the Joker's look but Leto just wasn't very memorable in the role. Overall I'd give it a C.
I guess it depends on what you consider the bottom tier MCU films. To me, the worst MCU films are mainly forgettable but still cohesive, while this one just went from scene to scene with little rhyme or reason. I mean the plot itself was a mess.

Gunn going back to the Ostrander roots should be awesome, though.
Old 07-26-21, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
I thought the Joker was the only redeeming thing about this movie. He's portrayed as more of a gangster, which I thought was an interesting take. At least they took a chance with the character.

Really looking forward to the soft reboot next month.
Old 07-26-21, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Will Smith was phoning in the Will Smith Character. That's always a recipe for disaster.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (07-26-21)
Old 07-26-21, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I think this is watchable one time, but mostly is crappy and pretty forgettable. The characters aren’t great mostly, and the plot is dumb. On top of it all for being a ridiculous concept the film takes itself too seriously.

I like Will Smith as Deadshot, but they did try harder to make him a sympathetic character. I do like the flashback scene with Deadshot and his daughter and Batman apprehends him in the alley.

Margot Robbie as Harley is fine. People seem to think that she’s this perfect embodiment of the character or something, and to me she’s okay, but not as standout as most think. I actually liked her slightly better in Birds of Prey, which most people didn’t like as much.

Viola Davis may be the best part as Amanda Waller. She just seems like a cold-hearted villain. Glad she’s coming back for The Suicide Squad.

I look forward to seeing The Suicide Squad and feel like it’s going to make this film even more irrelevant.
Old 07-29-21, 06:08 PM

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,865 Posts