Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
1.23%
1.23%
14.81%
20.99%
30.86%
12.35%
3.70%
11.11%
3.70%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-16, 08:52 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

You should watch it. It's almost like Deadpool.
Old 12-27-16, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

After reading Rose McGowan's thoughts on Leto's method of acting in this movie where she claims he sexually assaulted Margot Robbie but under the guise of remaining in character even while non filming, I wonder what actually happened and how bad it got. Didn't she refuse to do press with him and I read a blind item that said he will not be allowed in any other films she is doing as Harley Quinn as her husband is producing them and won't have it. I knew he was way out there filming and had done some weird stuff to the cast but maybe it was worse than reported and is being swept under the rug Hollywood style?
Old 12-27-16, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Pretty much. OCD'ers up in herr!
I'm soooo cooool with this. The more they(I hate DC films folks with OCD) buy them, the more they'll keep making these films even with the overwhelming hate they get. WIN WIN for me.
Old 12-27-16, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Finally saw this and it was.... OK. I don't think it or BvS are the worst movies ever, but they sure seem lacking compared to the slick confidence of the Marvel turnout lately. In some ways they remind me of the pre-2000 comic book movie experience where you generally were hoping they didn't screw things up TOO badly and were pleasantly surprised when there were good bits.

There was the POTENTIAL for an excellent instead of a merely mildly entertaining movie here - unlike many, I did like Leto's Joker a lot and he really should've been the main villain somehow instead of the underwhelming Enchantress, the shit zombies and Electrodude her brother whose name I don't even remember hearing in the movie. I thought Robbie, Courtney and Hernandez were all pretty good with what they were given and while Smith's Deadshot really was just another Will Smith role, it wasn't terrible. But the movie just felt like PRODUCT which at this point just seems the DC House style - slick, soulless imagery and not enough to care about. Maybe they'll right the ship with WW and Justice League but at this point it seems to have settled in too much.
Old 12-27-16, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Pretty much. OCD'ers up in herr!
Exactly. Some here have proclaimed this is one of the worst comic movies that have ever seen, yet 1 year from now, I'm betting they'll gobble it up when it's under $10 because they have to own every fucking comic book movie on BD. Even if they hate it with every fiber of their being.

Heck, even a few comments later, some have said I didn't really like the movie, but I don't mind owning it for under $10.

I think a few in this forum even bought Batman v Superman during the Holiday sales when it was 8.99 or 9.99 even when so many of them shit on it in the reviews thread.

It's that fricking collector mentality.

For the record, a friend of mine gave it to me for Christmas. I'll probably watch the Unrated cut in the next few days.

The $25 price point right now IMO is way too expensive. I probably would have waited until it hit under $15 in a few months.
Old 12-27-16, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

There are certain films that are just that way though. I might like things about them but on a whole don't love. This just happens to be a comic film that's like that. There are plenty of films that are comic related I hate and will never own such as Green Lantern, the Fantastic Four films (though I bought the 2015 version out of curiosity when the price was low), Elektra, Daredevil, etc. So it's not like I'm just an OCD fanboy for everything comic related.
Old 12-27-16, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

I had given this some thought, and no I won't be buying it even at the $10 price point. I am not a true completionist, but I'll admit to buying things I was lukewarm on. Sometimes the extras are worth it. I rented SS from Redbox, so I did not see the extended cut or any the extras but I don't have any desire to. What is sad is I would have blind-bought it, maybe even at $15. Now that I have seen it though, no ... I disliked it that much. Release it with the original cut and I might get it out of curiosity.

I own Green Lantern (I actually liked it). I own the first Fantastic Four, but none after that. No Daredevil, Ghost Rider, or Elektra. I don't have Thor 2. Burton's first Batman yes, but none after that until the Nolan films. Now that I am older and bargains are rarer, it is easier to just say no.
Old 12-28-16, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
After reading Rose McGowan's thoughts on Leto's method of acting in this movie where she claims he sexually assaulted Margot Robbie but under the guise of remaining in character even while non filming, I wonder what actually happened and how bad it got. Didn't she refuse to do press with him and I read a blind item that said he will not be allowed in any other films she is doing as Harley Quinn as her husband is producing them and won't have it. I knew he was way out there filming and had done some weird stuff to the cast but maybe it was worse than reported and is being swept under the rug Hollywood style?
Maybe I'm missing something but isn't this him sending the cast members used condoms and anal beads and whatnot? Or are you saying he actually sexually assaulted (instead of sexually harassed) her?
Old 12-28-16, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

That is what Rose Mcgowan alleged that he sexually assaulted her under the guise of being in character and taking liberties he shouldn't. Per the blind item I read it said her husband will not allow Leto on the same set anymore as he is producing the Harley Quinn movie. Who knows though.
Old 12-28-16, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly the things Leto was doing as "Joker gags" or whatever went pretty over the line if you ask me. I think we'd have heard some more rumblings if him sexually assaulting Robbie or anyone is true but who knows.
Old 12-28-16, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Pfft. If it were Daniel Day Lewis sending rats and anal beads you guys would be praising him and calling him Genius.
Old 12-28-16, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope. Anyone doing stuff like sending anal beads, used condoms, dead rats, or whatever is fucked in the head. If he really feels the need to do that under the guise of some method acting bullshit there's something wrong with him.
Old 12-28-16, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Pfft. If it were Daniel Day Lewis sending rats and anal beads you guys would be praising him and calling him Genius.
Or had Jared Leto given a Daniel Day Lewis-quality level performance some people would be justifying it.

Instead his Joker turned out to be less than impressive, and now it's like, what was the point?

I'm kind of surprised that he went R/NC-17 with his method acting for a PG-13 movie. Now if Anthony Hopkins or Ted Levine had done this for Silence of the Lambs, people would be like "ohhh, I can see how that made it work..."
Old 12-28-16, 02:16 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

As all around terrible as this movie was, Leto really stuck out for me. His performance was perhaps the worst in the film. What an unholy mess of a movie. My God. What a sick fucking joke. Total garbage. Thank God I got it on sale for $20.
Old 12-28-16, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Total garbage. Thank God I got it on sale for $20.
You paid $20??? WTF

Risky stuff like this I wait out until it's like $5. Did it for Prometheus & Genysis and I still regret spending $10 for those 2 turds.
Old 12-28-16, 02:23 PM
RIP

Originally Posted by inri222
You paid $20??? WTF

I was joking. I paid $3 for the digital and feel like I got taken for about $2.99.
Old 12-28-16, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

I suppose it's better that DC gets the $3 rather than the ex getting it. Although, you were just as violated either way.
Old 12-29-16, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Well Rose McGowan has also somewhat lost her mind recently and seems like she is going through mental issues. Plus considering how she did press with him and the entire cast was on Conan together I would call this story bs. But who knows for sure.
Old 12-29-16, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think the only one who was openly disturbed to the point of "Leto is fucked up, keep him away from me"...at least at first, was Viola Davis.
Old 12-29-16, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by brayzie
Or had Jared Leto given a Daniel Day Lewis-quality level performance some people would be justifying it.

Instead his Joker turned out to be less than impressive, and now it's like, what was the point?

I'm kind of surprised that he went R/NC-17 with his method acting for a PG-13 movie. Now if Anthony Hopkins or Ted Levine had done this for Silence of the Lambs, people would be like "ohhh, I can see how that made it work..."
Naw, I think it worked as much any other method acting shenanigans do.. This Joker is a "sick murderous fuck". The times he came anywhere near the others they all seemed to be creeped out and scared of him.
Old 12-30-16, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Naw, I think it worked as much any other method acting shenanigans do.. This Joker is a "sick murderous fuck". The times he came anywhere near the others they all seemed to be creeped out and scared of him.
Good point. I was thinking in terms of overall performance, not how his co-stars would respond to him. However, I disagree that his method acting "worked as much" as any other.

Heath Ledger's form of method acting for his role as the Joker resulted in something really new and different. The effect was a truly disturbing character even when he's only talking off screen. Leto's Joker seemed to be merely a variation of Ledger's.

I would have liked to have seen a Joker that was a stronger contrast to the one we saw in TDK. Maybe a more effeminate or dandy-type like in Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, although I doubt that would fly in 2016.

An interesting article on method acting I found.

Last edited by brayzie; 12-30-16 at 02:47 AM.
Old 12-30-16, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt think Leto's Joker worked on any level. He didn't seem scary or dangerous or unhinged. Just seemed like a douche with green hair.
Old 12-30-16, 09:09 AM
RIP

The scene where he is lying on the ground, surrounded by carefully placed knives and guns, and starts cackling...I physically cringed and recoiled, and very nearly shit my pants.
Old 12-30-16, 09:18 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
The scene where he is lying on the ground, surrounded by carefully placed knives and guns, and starts cackling...I physically cringed and recoiled, and very nearly shit my pants.
This seems to happen a lot. Have you gotten this checked out? Do you wear depends these days?
Old 12-30-16, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

About what I expected - some fun moments, good visuals, most of the characters I liked. Not something I see myself revisiting often enough to warrant a purchase, I'll probably just stick with the main Justice League story line/characters for the collection.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.