Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Split (2017, D: M. Night Shyamalan) S: James McAvoy

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Split (2017, D: M. Night Shyamalan) S: James McAvoy

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-17, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: Split (2017, D: M. Night Shyamalan) S: James McAvoy

I really enjoyed this movie. There is some great acting by McAvoy and Taylor-Joy. She has such a great face, even when she's not saying anything. Her character does have some childhood flashbacks periodically throughout the movie that provides a little bit of a backstory to explain why some things happen during the movie in regards to her.

There's one thing I was curious about, which happened during the kidnapping.
Spoiler:
Why didn't he spray the knockout gas on her. It's like he didn't even notice her in the front seat while he was spraying the other two girls

The "reveal" at the end (see fumanstan's spoiler) was kind of hinted at during the movie. But it was kinda cool to see without knowing about it ahead of time.

While I enjoyed the movie, it's not one I would run out and see again. I will catch it on DVD/Blu just to see the extras. But it's a well-made movie with great sets (though minimal) and two really nice performances (okay, McAvoy gives 8 nice performances )
Old 01-20-17, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
^^^ I wish I didn't read that. Fuck.
Sorry, I was trying to figure out how to phrase it to give some sort of hint without giving it away.
Old 01-20-17, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I think I'll check this out this weekend. Glad Shyamalan has been making a comeback with decent films.
Old 01-20-17, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
^^^ I wish I didn't read that. Fuck.
Seriously, it was the most unexpected thing I've ever seen in a movie---Aside from Divine giving head in Pink Flamingos
Old 01-20-17, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So the twist is that critics walk out of this one and actually like it .

Spoiler:
I wish that Unbreakable was streaming somewhere now. Or HBO wouldn't fuck up the aspect ratio. We have widescreen TVs, this suit should stop.
Old 01-20-17, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Liked it but didn't love it - overlong and a bit indulgent. I did think the performances were great and M. Night knows how to create tension and frame a nice looking shot. The hook at the end made me like the movie MORE than I was initially...it just sort of reframes the way you look at the movie and worked a bit better in that light IMO. 3/5 - not something I need to see again anytime soon but overall worth seeing.
Old 01-22-17, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Fuck what a great film this was. McAvoy just owns his performance and carries the movie. Not that the acting from the rest of the cast is bad but he was just fantastic. Loved the surprise at the end. So glad to see Shyamalan making good films again.
Old 01-22-17, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I really enjoyed this movie and loved the tie in at the end. Looking forward to see where they take it from here.
Old 01-22-17, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Just caught this one today. McAvoy and Taylor-Joy both did great jobs. I truly hope she doesn't fall into the glamour girl trap that happened to Lindsey Lohan as she has true talent. I will admit that I initially didn't like
Spoiler:
the whole sudden appearance of superhuman strength and such, but the final little bit allowed forgiveness. Cool that MNS found a way to get his Unbreakable sequel.

I haven't seen a credits scene that had me drop my jaw much before, but that one did..
Old 01-22-17, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I read that

Spoiler:
He is already writing the third and final film in the trilogy and will most likely be the next film he makes. He said that he will not be secretive about it as he wants everyone to know it will be the last one ahead of time.
Old 01-23-17, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Strong performances by James McAvoy, Anya Taylor-Joy and Betty Buckley.
Old 01-23-17, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if

Spoiler:
having one film as a villain origin story was always part of his trilogy plan? Interesting approach if so, but unique.
Old 01-23-17, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I just read the spoiler on another site and now I'm actually interested in seeing this. I haven't been interested in Shyamalan's work in ages, but this might be neat to see.
Old 01-23-17, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I just read the spoiler on another site and now I'm actually interested in seeing this. I haven't been interested in Shyamalan's work in ages, but this might be neat to see.
Right? I had no plan on seeing this anytime soon so I looked at some spoilers. Stopped reading as soon as I saw what it's in relation to. Now I absolutely need to see this.

Why wouldn't they let that be known though? Would have made many more people (like myself) interested in seeing it.
Old 01-23-17, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I'm glad I knew nothing of the spoiler. It's nice to be totally surprised at the end of a movie.
Old 01-23-17, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad they didn't publicize the
Spoiler:
connection to Unbreakable as it's the major twist of the movie. If they had then everyone would have been sitting around waiting for the connection and thought "that's it?" when it happened. Only catch is that it's a twist that only works for certain people. The fact that this isn't exactly a major franchise allowed MNS to do this little trick. No way they could have pulled this with an MCU movie.
Old 01-24-17, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Ugh, I wish I had avoided this thread before seeing the movie. Rant:

Spoiler:
For those of you who used the words "tie-in" and "related to" outside of spoiler tags, consider your wrists slapped. Having read those words, I watched the movie wondering what existing movie it shared a world with. As soon as Betty Buckley's character described the beast's abilities -- thick hide, scaling walls -- I thought, "That sounds like a list of super powers," and immediately knew this was a pseudo Unbreakable sequel. So the reveal at the end lacked impact for me.

And honestly, minus that hook, this movie is good but incredibly anti-climactic. The ending does not really deliver on the built-up tension and really banks on the Unbreakable reveal to make it stick the landing. IMO, of course.

Now, a question:
Spoiler:
What exactly was the point of the main girl's back story? That the abuse she suffered at the hands of her uncle made her put up more of a fight for survival? And that she was finally going to turn her uncle in to the police? Am I missing something?

One final thought:
Spoiler:
It's kind of funny that this movie came out now. When 10 Cloverfield Lane came out, and with "shared universe" movies becoming more common of late (MCU), I found myself recently wondering if a movie would ever come out that would be tied to an existing movie, but the tie-in would be hidden from audiences instead of used as a cash-in to draw in more numbers. Well, Shyamalan did it. I do wonder, though, if Unbreakable has enough of a cultural presence today to make the reveal impactful to the average audience member. I did hear a couple of audible "huh?!" reactions at the end of my screening.
Old 01-24-17, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
One final thought:
Spoiler:
It's kind of funny that this movie came out now. When 10 Cloverfield Lane came out, and with "shared universe" movies becoming more common of late (MCU), I found myself recently wondering if a movie would ever come out that would be tied to an existing movie, but the tie-in would be hidden from audiences instead of used as a cash-in to draw in more numbers. Well, Shyamalan did it. I do wonder, though, if Unbreakable has enough of a cultural presence today to make the reveal impactful to the average audience member. I did hear a couple of audible "huh?!" reactions at the end of my screening.

At the screening my son and I were at, I am fairly sure that I was about the only one that had any sort of reaction to the reveal. It was a pretty young crowd though, so I'm guessing they just had no idea as to what was going on.
Old 01-24-17, 06:41 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
Now, a question:
Spoiler:
What exactly was the point of the main girl's back story? That the abuse she suffered at the hands of her uncle made her put up more of a fight for survival? And that she was finally going to turn her uncle in to the police? Am I missing something?
You missed something big...
Spoiler:
... because she had scars and had been abused she was no longer "pure" and "untouched" or worthy of "The Horde" therefore he left her alone. That's why she survived.

I was explaining the movie to my wife (who is not a fan of scary films), something clicked that linked a repeatedlybspoken line and the last twist:
Spoiler:
When The Horde continues to tell her "You're broken... and it is the broken who evolve!"
Surprised I didn't make the connection earlier.
Old 01-24-17, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I was one of the few people who had a major reaction to the twist at the end. However, I'm hoping that inspires others to go out and discover what makes it special . MNS has said he's not going to go too large with his follow up movie as he knows the fan base is small compared to other properties. As long as it gets made the way he intends, I'm happy.
Old 01-24-17, 08:28 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I think I was one of the few people who had a major reaction to the twist at the end.
i audibly cheered and clapped! Took the movie from a 3.5 star to a 4.5!!!

Last edited by Goldberg74; 01-24-17 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-26-17, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enjoyed the movie.

Spoiler:
I knew about the twist ending, because really, I never would have gone to see this without it. I didn't know what the twist was but I did know that it was in the Unbreakable universe. I was almost disappointed with how it ended, since all it was was a quick Bruce cameo. I was hoping for some interaction or even a SLJ cameo
Old 01-27-17, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I think M Night has at least 2 or 3 personalities in him. There's no other explanation as to how he can make so much shit and then randomly come out with a gem like this. I really liked it. It's a shame a film like this will never get any award recognition because McAvoy should get an Oscar nom for this, he was fantastic.
Old 01-27-17, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

McAvoy was definitely outstanding in this. What could have been a disaster was done extremely well.
Old 01-28-17, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow that very last scene "twist" is something i would of never saw coming and i loved it (I really like that movie though)

Even without that I thought the movie was good and ya McAvoy was amazing

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.