Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Trek 4 -- news, rumors, etc.

Old 01-09-19, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Star Trek 4 -- news, rumors, etc.

They should keep nuTrek going and recast when necessary.

It’s not like Pine and Quinto are as iconic as Shatner and Nimoy. They can be replaced when their contracts are up and they’re priced out of the Trek budget.
Old 01-11-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/01...edly-cancelled

Looks like it's done.

I really liked the first, not so much the 2nd and 3rd. While the casting was good there was something missing from the 2nd and 3rd. Maybe it's because Leonard Nemoy was in the first? I don't know. I don't think I'll miss this much.

Say what you will about Discovery, I really like it's different spin on Trek.
Old 01-11-19, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/01...edly-cancelled

Looks like it's done.

I really liked the first, not so much the 2nd and 3rd. While the casting was good there was something missing from the 2nd and 3rd. Maybe it's because Leonard Nemoy was in the first? I don't know. I don't think I'll miss this much.

Say what you will about Discovery, I really like it's different spin on Trek.
Yea... that article just links back to the one that was posted three days ago.
Old 01-11-19, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
The J.J. Abrams movies have made very little profit or lost money. I heard Into Darkness and Beyond both lost money. Robert Meyer Burnett, who's a huge Star Trek pundit and produced the Next Generation BD extras, said he heard that Into Darkness cost over $300M+ to make with marketing. He also says that Star Trek doesn't play well overseas. The financial return is simply not there to make these movies worthwhile to Paramount. Hence, that's why it was reported that the studio asked Pine and Hemsworth to take less money for the potential 4th movie and both said no.

Budget issues are the main thing that is killing the movie franchise. I bet that the director Clarkson got tired of waiting around for the movie to finally get greelit and hence decided to move on.
Old 01-11-19, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a bummer. I really enjoyed this cast.
Old 01-11-19, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I thought the cast was pretty good considering the shoes to fill.
Old 01-12-19, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah this is disappointing news. I really did like this crew as they seemed to have good chemistry together on screen. I guess I should be thankful we got 3 pretty good movies out of them though although I was looking forward to more.
Old 01-12-19, 12:37 AM

MAJOR bummer. I really like these movies!
Old 01-12-19, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the cast of these films but never really loved the films themselves. Beyond feels the most like Trek to me. All three of them tried too hard to make the franchise more of a sci-fi/action series rather than actually honoring what made Star Trek unique. Iím sure a lot of that was Paramount thinking traditional Trek wouldnít sell to audiences though.
Old 01-12-19, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another Stark Trek film series without a satisfying conclusion. Paramount sucks.
Old 01-12-19, 09:42 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

getting this crew together in 10 years with maroon uniforms would be pretty awesome.
Old 01-12-19, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rennervision View Post
Another Stark Trek film series without a satisfying conclusion. Paramount sucks.
pretty much. This franchise has been a mess since the beginning. In an era of actors signing multi-film contracts, 3 movies in 10 years is ridiculous (for comparison sake Marvel created their entire universe and 20 films in almost that same exact time frame!).
Old 01-12-19, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really liked Beyond and if need be, I can accept it as a "soft" ending for this crew, especially with Yelchin's death. But on the other hand, Trek has a way of turning death into a fighting chance to live. Maybe the Tarantino project is just what this needs. Surely the cast would be willing to get together with someone with his pedigree.
Old 01-13-19, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rennervision View Post
Truer words have never been spoken.
Old 01-13-19, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

If you watched that YouTube video, Beyond was a massive massive bomb for Paramount. They estimated that it cost close to $400M to make with production costs and marketing. It lost a shit load of money and that's what killed this franchise.

A Star Trek movie should not cost $300-400M to make. That would kill any movie franchise with a budget that ridiculous.
Old 01-13-19, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. Watching that video, if accurate, it looks like the future of ANY Star Trek movies are in serious doubt.

Paramount took an extremely well taken reboot and just ran it into the ground.
Old 01-14-19, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
The J.J. Abrams movies have made very little profit or lost money. I heard Into Darkness and Beyond both lost money. Robert Meyer Burnett, who's a huge Star Trek pundit and produced the Next Generation BD extras, said he heard that Into Darkness cost over $300M+ to make with marketing. He also says that Star Trek doesn't play well overseas. The financial return is simply not there to make these movies worthwhile to Paramount. Hence, that's why it was reported that the studio asked Pine and Hemsworth to take less money for the potential 4th movie and both said no.

Budget issues are the main thing that is killing the movie franchise. I bet that the director Clarkson got tired of waiting around for the movie to finally get greelit and hence decided to move on.
The fact that Star Trek doesn't play well overseas is nothing new...Paramount has known that since the 1980s. I still don't think Paramount is going to give up on a film franchise indefinitely, but yeah - it appears the one with Pine is DOA. I'm reading reports now that the reason Clarkson went to the GOT prequel was because ST4 WAS cancelled, so basically she was freed up.
Old 01-14-19, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So the Abrams-verse Trek series is over? I guess I'll have to watch new The Fast and Furious movies to get my fix of his brand of Star Trek.
Old 01-14-19, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
The fact that Star Trek doesn't play well overseas is nothing new...Paramount has known that since the 1980s. I still don't think Paramount is going to give up on a film franchise indefinitely, but yeah - it appears the one with Pine is DOA. I'm reading reports now that the reason Clarkson went to the GOT prequel was because ST4 WAS cancelled, so basically she was freed up.
​​​​​​I still find it a little odd that it doesn't play well overseas. I used to read the old fanzines and there were always letters from people around the world who grew up watching Trek. I understand that the concept works better on TV in general, but with the Kelvin films done in in a more cinematic style, it seems odd that they couldn't pull at least the folks looking for a fun, space adventure (though Into Darkness was pretty, well, dark).

Has anybody ever done market research to find out why folks in places like China don't like Trek?
Old 01-14-19, 07:33 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
​​​​​​

Has anybody ever done market research to find out why folks in places like China don't like Trek?
not just Trek, they don't go nuts for Star Wars either.
Old 01-14-19, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
not just Trek, they don't go nuts for Star Wars either.
It's more a political thing than a cultural one. The Party isn't big on sci-fi in general, and time travel stories in particular are simply banned altogether.
Old 01-15-19, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PatD View Post
So the Abrams-verse Trek series is over? I guess I'll have to watch new The Fast and Furious movies to get my fix of his brand of Star Trek.
In theaters, at least, although Star Trek Discovery is definitely more Abrams-like than Roddenberry-like (which makes sense, since Alex Kurtzman is exec producing all the new shows on CBS Access).
Old 04-30-19, 04:43 PM

Tarantino:
I feel like I have to ask this even though I don’t know if you’ll want to answer. But are you going to make a Star Trek movie? Is there any truth to that?

It’s a very big possibility. I haven’t been dealing with those guys for a while cause I’ve been making my movie. But we’ve talked about a story and a script. The script has been written and when I emerge my head like Punxsutawney Phil, post-Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, we’ll pick up talking about it again.
https://www.slashfilm.com/hateful-ei...ix-miniseries/

Last edited by dex14; 04-30-19 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-30-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice that there could still be something there with Tarantino involvement. Of course now the main players are out so not sure how theyíll move forward unless itís rebooting TNG or something.
Old 06-11-19, 09:29 AM

Quentin Tarantino is starting to do press for his upcoming film Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. Back in April Tarantino was quoted as saying making the movie is still ďa big possibility,Ē and thanks to the press junket for the film, thereís been a bit more talk of his Trek movie.

While chatting with Empire magazine (the latest issue is available now to subscribers, and will be on newsstands later in the week), he was asked about the potential Star Trek movie he had pitched to Bad Robot in 2017. As previously reported, last year Tarantinoís initial idea was fleshed out into a draft of a script by screenwriter Mark L. Smith. And thatís where it sat, waiting for more action. Tarantino says the next step is for him to give notes on it:

"Thereís a script that exists for it now, I need to weigh in on it, but havenít been able to do that yet."

Also not a surprise, and something thatís been brought up before, is that Tarantino would want to make the movie R-rated. The director confirmed this to Empire:

"Oh yeah! Itís an R-rated move. If I do it, itíll be R-rated."
https://trekmovie.com/2019/06/10/que...tar-trek-film/

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.