Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Trek 4 -- news, rumors, etc.

Old 08-11-18, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Star Trek 4 -- news, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by TheMovieman View Post
Well, we'll see. I just think Paramount is trying to save money and get the budget down more. It'd just be odd for them to recast Pine as Kirk and yet literally everyone else is back. Hemsworth OTOH is probably expendable and can be recast since he was only in the first one (which by the time this comes out will be 10+ years) and only for a few minutes.
Yeah, but without Hemsworth as George Kirk, there's really no reason for George Kirk to be in this movie.
Old 08-11-18, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True.

Anyway, like I said, it's a strategy on both sides and a deal will get done.
Old 08-11-18, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
Yeah, but without Hemsworth as George Kirk, there's really no reason for George Kirk to be in this movie.
Agreed, and largely for the reasons GoldenJCJ stated:
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Frankly this whole concept sounded like nothing more than trying to cash in on Hemsworthís popularity. Seems like a silly reason to write an entire movie for. Kirkís dad was never meant to be anything beyond what we saw in Star Trek Ď09 until they realized he was played by a now famous actor.
Dump Hemsworth, which allows Paramount the budget to give Pine what he wants - and then come up with a better idea!
Old 08-11-18, 08:16 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

time to break out the NuBorg!
Old 08-11-18, 11:06 PM
Cool New Member

Speaking of Hemsworth, itís his birthday today.
Old 08-12-18, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If you drop Hemsworth, you may not have to scrap the script - was Hemsworth really in the role long enough that viewers won't accept another actor? Remember, they replaced Kirstie Alley with Robin Curtis and fans accepted it. I'm in the consensus here - dump Hemsworth and pay for Pine. Hire another actor to play George Kirk.
Old 08-12-18, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
If you drop Hemsworth, you may not have to scrap the script - was Hemsworth really in the role long enough that viewers won't accept another actor? Remember, they replaced Kirstie Alley with Robin Curtis and fans accepted it. I'm in the consensus here - dump Hemsworth and pay for Pine. Hire another actor to play George Kirk.
But the entire reason for the script having George Kirk in in is to bring back Hemsworth IMO. If they're not going to bring him back, just make something better.

Last edited by Obi-Wan Jabroni; 08-12-18 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-12-18, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Pine without Star Trek and Hemsworth as Thor haven't really set the box office on fire so if I was the studio I wouldn't budge.
Old 08-12-18, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd like to see Hemsworth in the role, and if it's not him (or Pine) they might as well scrap it.
Old 08-12-18, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Pine without Star Trek and Hemsworth as Thor haven't really set the box office on fire so if I was the studio I wouldn't budge.
I don't feel like anyone has ever uttered the words, "Hey let's go see that new Chris Pine movie," other than his parents and extended family. He should be paid because that's the contract everyone signed, but not because he's some huge draw.
Old 08-12-18, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
But the entire reason for the script having George Kirk in in is to bring back Hemsworth IMO. If they're not going to bring him back, just make something better.
Truthfully, I'd rather they not make a Star Trek movie focused on George Kirk just because they want Chris Hemsworth in it.

I'd rather see an ultimate Klingon movie, a badass bog budget Doomsday Machine, or Kirk vs the Borg.

Not to mention that bringing in George Kirk will probably involve time travel, and I think that's a device that has been overplayed in Star Trek over the years.
Old 01-08-19, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

SJ Clarkson (Marvelís The Defenders, Jessica Jones) has been tapped to direct and executive produce HBOís Game of Thrones prequel pilot from feature writer Jane Goldman and author/GOT co-executive producer George R.R. Martin. Naomi Ackie(Lady MacBeth, Yardie), Denise Gough (People, Places and Things, Colette), Jamie Campbell Bower (The Twilight Saga, The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones), Sheila Atim (Girl From the North Country, Harlots), Ivanno Jeremiah(Humans, Doctor Who), Georgie Henley (Narnia franchise, The Spanish Princess), Alex Sharp (How To Talk To Girls At Parties, To The Bone) and Toby Regbo (Reign, The Last Kingdom) are set as series regulars, joining previously cast Naomi Watts and Josh Whitehouse.

I hear Clarkson was recruited by HBO for GOT after she recently became available. Earlier this year, Clarkson was the first female director to be tapped to direct a Star Trek movie when she was hired to helm the fourth feature in the current series. That project has since been shelved.
https://deadline.com/2019/01/game-of...st-1202531071/
Old 01-08-19, 02:19 PM

It seems this might be dead.
Clarkson was just announced as both the pilot director and an executive producer on HBO’s first Game of Thrones spinoff, set thousands of years before the events of the flagship fantasy series. While that’s good news for HBO and the prequel, according to Deadline, it might represent a big problem for Star Trek’s uncertain future at the box office. See, Deadline notes that the director was snapped up by HBO after recently becoming available...because Star Trek 4 has been shelved:

I hear Clarkson was recruited by HBO for GOT after she recently became available. Earlier this year, Clarkson was the first female director to be tapped to direct a Star Trek movie when she was hired to helm the fourth feature in the current series. That project has since been shelved.
​​​​​​​
https://io9.gizmodo.com/report-star-...ved-1831580791
Old 01-08-19, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah no Pine, Hemsworth and now no director, it's most likely dead.
Old 01-08-19, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by windom View Post
It seems they are much more focused on Star Trek tv projects than doing more movies right now. Star Trek works better on tv anyways, but it is nice to see feature films every so often. I didn't care much for the reboot movies. It's more like Ultimate Marvel; neat to see modernized interpretations of classic characters but you know they will never last or fully replace the originals.
Old 01-08-19, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Star Trek 4 -- news, rumors, etc.

That's too bad. I enjoyed this version of the ST universe a great deal. Beyond has grown on me after repeated viewings. But the more I see Pine doing other things the more I am convinced this is not happening.

I assume we'll get another reboot at some point.
Old 01-08-19, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't forget, there's also the Tarantino Trek project still out there.
Old 01-08-19, 03:04 PM

Which I expect right after Kill Bill The Whole Bloody Affair and Kill Bill III.
Old 01-08-19, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TheMovieman View Post
Don't forget, there's also the Tarantino Trek project still out there.

never happen
Old 01-08-19, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm disappointed to be honest. I've come to appreciate the whole project. The actors brought a new energy to the characters and there's been a good influx of new fans to the whole franchise because they watched the movies, which ordinarily they wouldn't have watched due to the name.

If they had gotten their ducks in a row from the start, they could have done a good 5 movies, and then let the cast move on. But now the franchise is back on TV where it belongs, so I'm pretty sure the movie thing is done for now.

Just thinking though, it would be neat in about 15-20 years to see this crew come back together for another adventure or two, with the maroon uniforms and everything. Maybe do the Sybok storyline ;-P
Old 01-09-19, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

They have a script, they have actors signed (although the Pine/Hemsworth status is currently unknown), and Paramount doesn't have much else in the franchise category these days (Jack Ryan is pretty much dead at the box office; Indiana Jones has gone to Disney). Movies lose directors ALL the time. I don't know why so many outlets are jumping to the conclusion that Star Trek IV has been scrapped. It may very well be the case, but until Paramount says something officially, I'm not buying it...too many dollars left on the table.
Old 01-09-19, 08:01 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd love to see a few more with this crew, although Anton Yelchin's death puts a cloud over it all.
Old 01-09-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They have a script, they have actors signed (although the Pine/Hemsworth status is currently unknown), and Paramount doesn't have much else in the franchise category these days (Jack Ryan is pretty much dead at the box office; Indiana Jones has gone to Disney). Movies lose directors ALL the time. I don't know why so many outlets are jumping to the conclusion that Star Trek IV has been scrapped. It may very well be the case, but until Paramount says something officially, I'm not buying it...too many dollars left on the table.
The thing is Paramount hasnít really given Star Trek the amount of respect it really deserves since like the mid nineties. It seems like itís something that they fall back on when they donít have anything else going. The last film they did, which was actually pretty good and fell in a milestone anniversary year seemed underpromoted and in turn didnít do great at the box office despite feeling the most Trek of the new cast.
Old 01-09-19, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The J.J. Abrams movies have made very little profit or lost money. I heard Into Darkness and Beyond both lost money. Robert Meyer Burnett, who's a huge Star Trek pundit and produced the Next Generation BD extras, said he heard that Into Darkness cost over $300M+ to make with marketing. He also says that Star Trek doesn't play well overseas. The financial return is simply not there to make these movies worthwhile to Paramount. Hence, that's why it was reported that the studio asked Pine and Hemsworth to take less money for the potential 4th movie and both said no.

Budget issues are the main thing that is killing the movie franchise. I bet that the director Clarkson got tired of waiting around for the movie to finally get greelit and hence decided to move on.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-09-19 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-09-19, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
The J.J. Abrams movies have made very little profit or lost money. I heard Into Darkness and Beyond both lost money. Robert Meyer Burnett, who's a huge Star Trek pundit and produced the Next Generation BD extras, said he heard that Into Darkness cost over $300M+ to make with marketing. He also says that Star Trek doesn't play well overseas. The financial return is simply not there to make these movies to Paramount. Hence, that's why it was reported that the studio asked Pine and Hemsworth to take less money for the potential 4th movie and both said no.

Budget issues are the main thing that is killing the movie franchise. I bet that the director Clarkson got tired of waiting around for the movie to finally get greelit and hence decided to move on.
In spite of poor returns on the Abrams' movies, I'm sure we haven't seen the last of ST on the Big Screen.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.