Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Trek 4 -- news, rumors, etc.

Old 04-17-18, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

re: Star Trek 4 -- news, rumors, etc.

The movie will open with this scene, except it will be a giant foot instead of a giant hand.
Old 04-17-18, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post

The movie will open with this scene, except it will be a giant foot instead of a giant hand.
If Uma is cast, she could have the entire fleet.
Old 04-26-18, 05:20 PM

S.J. Clarkson has been tapped to direct “Star Trek 4,” making her the first female to helm a film in the “Star Trek” franchise.

Paramount Pictures had no comment. The studio announced at CinemaCon in Las Vegas that it was planning a fourth movie with Chris Hemsworth, who appeared as Chris Pine’s father in 2009’s “Star Trek.” Zachary Quinto is also set to return. Paramount is developing another “Star Trek” film from J.J. Abrams and Quentin Tarantino, but sources say it is still being written and would come after the fourth movie.

While details on “Star Trek 4” are vague, sources say a key plot point sees Pine’s character running into his father (Hemsworth) in a time travel ploy.

J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay penned the screenplay. Abrams and Lindsey Weber will produce through Bad Robot Productions, while David Ellison and Dana Goldberg of Skydance Media will executive produce.

The original 2009 reboot “Star Trek” earned $385 million worldwide, while its sequel “Star Trek: Into Darkness” made $467 million globally in 2013. The third, “Star Trek Beyond,” brought in $343 million worldwide in 2016.

Clarkson is best known for her work on the TV scene with shows such as “Dexter,” “Bates Motel,” “Orange is the New Black,” and “Jessica Jones.” She recently directed a handful of episodes for Marvel’s “The Defenders.”

Clarkson is repped by WME.
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/s-...th-1202787592/

Looks like they’ll do the Hemwsorth story first, then possibly the QT script.
Old 04-26-18, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/s-...th-1202787592/

Looks like theyíll do the Hemwsorth story first, then possibly the QT script.
Before or after MiB?
Old 04-26-18, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope she can pull it off. Most TV directors that make movies wind up making them look like TV episodes with a budget.
Old 04-26-18, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
Before or after MiB?
You tell me.

I would assume MiB then this.
Old 04-26-18, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I figured Tarantino directing was a long shot but I canít say Iím not slightly disappointed. It could have been something interesting. At least his script might be used.
Old 04-26-18, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
You tell me.

I would assume MiB then this.
MiB is gearing up, but nothing is set yet. I haven't seen any shoot dates.
Old 04-26-18, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I figured Tarantino directing was a long shot but I canít say Iím not slightly disappointed. It could have been something interesting. At least his script might be used.
Maybe after he finishes OUATIH, he can shoot Pulp Trek.
Old 04-26-18, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bring it on, I’ve come to enjoy the Kelvin cast.
Old 04-30-18, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by islandclaws View Post
I hope she can pull it off. Most TV directors that make movies wind up making them look like TV episodes with a budget.
Rian Johnson? The Russo Brothers?
Old 04-30-18, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Rian Johnson? The Russo Brothers?
Rian Johnson didn't start in TV, and the Russos got a lot of experience filming You, Me, and Dupree.

Clarkson has only done TV, so we'll see. But people like Whedon, and all his stuff looks like it was shot for TV imho.
Old 08-10-18, 07:05 PM

Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth are no longer boldly going where no person has gone before.

The two actors were in negotiations to star in Star Trek 4 but sources say that talks between the two actors and the companies making the new installment, Paramount Pictures and Skydance Media, have fallen apart, with both sides walking away from the table.

Dealmaking with other returning castmembers — including Zoe Saldana, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg and John Cho — was expected to follow suit.

Pine was due to reprise his role as iconic sci-fi hero Captain Kirk, which he has inhabited for three movies, while Hemsworth was to have played his father in a time-traveling adventure. (Hemsworth played the role in the prologue in the 2009 movie that rebooted the franchise.)

The deal points came down to the usual suspect: money. Pine and Hemsworth, among Hollywood’s A-list when starring in DC or Marvel movies, are said to be asking the studios to stick to existing deals. Paramount, according to insiders, contends that Trek is not like a Marvel or Star Wars movie and is trying to hold the line on a budget.

The actors, according to sources, insist they have deals in place and that the studios are reneging on them, forcing them to take pay cuts as they try to budget a movie that is following a mediocre performer.

Pine, at least, has had a deal in place for several years. The actor, now a key player in the Wonder Woman franchise, signed up for a fourth movie when he made his deal for 2016's Star Trek Beyond. Hemsworth has been attached to Trek 4 since Paramount, then run by the previous regime headed by Brad Grey, announced the fourth installment in 2016, although his exact status remains murky.

The studio, however, is backing its budget tough talk with past performance numbers. The last movie, Star Trek Beyond, grossed only $343 million worldwide on a budget of $190 million. In fact, one insider says the companies lost money on the movie.

The 2009 reboot that kicked off this run of movies, titled simply Star Trek, made $386 million while 2013’s Star Trek Into Darkness, is the top earner of any Trek movie, with $467 million. Meanwhile, Marvel, DC, or Star Wars movies regularly gross north of $700 million if not hitting $1 billion. Not for lack of trying, the Trek movies seem to have a ceiling, especially globally.

It is unclear what the next step is for Trek 4. The project could recast Kirk and his father. Or perhaps the two sides could come back to the table.

Either way, Paramount and Skydance insiders say the movie, also produced by J.J. Abrams' Bad Robot, remains a priority development and is not being put on hold. Adding a veneer of enterprise to the project is that for the first time in the franchise history, a female director, S. J. Clarkson (Jessica Jones, Succession), is sitting in the captain’s chair.

Paramount had no comment. CAA, which reps Pine and Hemsworth, had no comment.
Old 08-10-18, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well that certainly sucks. I quite liked Pine as Kirk. Even though the rest of the cast may still be there they almost are better off scratching this and doing something completely different as theyíve lost their leading star and character.
Old 08-10-18, 07:57 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

no way Kirk is recast. they'll get it together or it will die on the vine. maybe retrofit the script to a rebooted TNG cast.
Old 08-10-18, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
no way Kirk is recast. they'll get it together or it will die on the vine. maybe retrofit the script to a rebooted TNG cast.
I was kinda thinking maybe itís time to a TNG movie universe reboot too. As much as I hate the idea as itís my personal favorite Trek series and itís going to be difficult for me seeing any of those roles recast itís really the next logical step. Going forward without Kirk or recasting is going to doom this movie. It was hard enough to get someone to fill the shoes of Shatner but somehow Pine became fairly well liked. No way that happens twice though.
Old 08-10-18, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd really rather not have a fourth nuTrek movie center around Hemsworth's character. Just seems like another wasted small concept movie. Anotjer movie about Kirk's daddy issues. Yawn. Just give Pine what he wants, and fight the nuBorg or nuDoomsday Machine.

On that note, wouldn't mind them recasting these nuTrek characters as necessary, though. None of them have hit the "icon" status the originals did. Frankly, Pine looks he's aged thirty years since the first Trek in '09.
Old 08-10-18, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For me while none of the new cast is iconic as their original counterparts I think theyíve done a decent job and I like the three movies in the Abrams-verse pretty well. I think Pine works well because heís not a carbon copy of Shatner but to me heís got enough gravitas by now that I accept his Kirk. I think part of the problem is that Paramount has really never given Star Trek proper respect. Itís always kind of come off like they have the mentality of ďI guess we have that Star Trek thing we can do something with even though we donít really give a shitĒ.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-10-18 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-10-18, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On that note, wouldn't mind them recasting these nuTrek characters as necessary, though. None of them have hit the "icon" status the originals did. Frankly, Pine looks he's aged thirty years since the first Trek in '09.
Exaggerate much? He's got some gray, sure, but he doesn't look like any 50-60 year old that I know. He still looks younger than Shatner in any of the original Trek films
Old 08-10-18, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd really rather not have a fourth nuTrek movie center around Hemsworth's character. Just seems like another wasted small concept movie. Anotjer movie about Kirk's daddy issues. Yawn. Just give Pine what he wants, and fight the nuBorg or nuDoomsday Machine.
Frankly this whole concept sounded like nothing more than trying to cash in on Hemsworthís popularity. Seems like a silly reason to write an entire movie for. Kirkís dad was never meant to be anything beyond what we saw in Star Trek Ď09 until they realized he was played by a now famous actor.
Old 08-10-18, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's Paramount playing hardball like, as someone pointed out on another forum, they have done with Tom Cruise on the past few Mission Impossible movies. A deal will be made.
Old 08-11-18, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don’t want to see a recast so soon. If they can’t make a deal, then let this series be a trilogy and just move on.
Old 08-11-18, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman View Post
It's Paramount playing hardball like, as someone pointed out on another forum, they have done with Tom Cruise on the past few Mission Impossible movies. A deal will be made.
Bingo.
Old 08-11-18, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Iím not so positive. They probably view Pine as easier to replace than someone like Cruise. Star Trek also doesnít pull in nearly the same numbers as Mission: Impossible.
Old 08-11-18, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, we'll see. I just think Paramount is trying to save money and get the budget down more. It'd just be odd for them to recast Pine as Kirk and yet literally everyone else is back. Hemsworth OTOH is probably expendable and can be recast since he was only in the first one (which by the time this comes out will be 10+ years) and only for a few minutes.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.