Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek 4 -- news, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Trek 4 -- news, rumors, etc.

Old 11-26-20, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 283 Likes on 213 Posts
Re: Star Trek 4 -- news, rumors, etc.

The TOS crew got their send-off in The Undiscovered Country. That movie was, by design, the final adventure of the original crew together.

There were a handful of other appearances, like Spock and Scotty in TNG, Sulu in VOY, and Kirk, Chekov, and Scotty in Generations.

You also need a way to fit these characters into current Trek that makes sense. After DS9 ended and Nemesis was the final TNG film, all that was let was ENT, which was a prequel, and, barring time travel shenanigans, wouldn't be possible.

They really missed a big opportunity to have a crossover between the TOS and TNG crews, which is what Generations should have been, but that didn't seem to be in the cards at Paramount.
Old 11-26-20, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 183 Posts

It sounds like that was somewhat the plan. Supposedly DeForest Kelley and Leonard Nimoy werenít fans of the script and felt like it would ruin the send off they had in The Undiscovered Country.

Iím curious if the other TOS cast members would have been in Generations if they would have had different roles or would have just been in the opening on the Enterprise B along with Kirk, Scotty, and Chekov. I can see why they declined in that case. Maybe there were different intentions had the other cast members been involved.
Old 11-26-20, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 283 Likes on 213 Posts

I have heard that they originally wanted Kirk, Spock, and McCoy (if not the whole seven) for the Enterprise-B scene in Generations, but Dee and Leonard both declined, so they replaced with Jimmy and Walter, who were willing to play ball.
Old 11-26-20, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I remember Scotty or Chekov starting to give directions to medics and assumed that would have been Kelly's part. But it's been like 26 years since I saw the movie, so things may be a bit muddy in my memory.
Old 11-27-20, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
I remember Scotty or Chekov starting to give directions to medics and assumed that would have been Kelly's part. But it's been like 26 years since I saw the movie, so things may be a bit muddy in my memory.
No, youíre right. Chekov kind of plays doctor a bit in that opening sequence. I mean more heís helping the crew that the Enterprise B beams aboard to sickbay.
Old 11-27-20, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 145 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
No, youíre right. Chekov kind of plays doctor a bit in that opening sequence. I mean more heís helping the crew that the Enterprise B beams aboard to sickbay.
Oh yeah, I never put two and two together and made the connection that was probably originally written for DeForrest Kelly.
Old 11-27-20, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 164 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Oh yeah, I never put two and two together and made the connection that was probably originally written for DeForrest Kelly.
I remember seeing that in the theater and didn't give it a second thought, except to think it was nice to see Chekov expanding his range of abilities in a disaster situation.
Old 11-27-20, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
I remember seeing that in the theater and didn't give it a second thought, except to think it was nice to see Chekov expanding his range of abilities in a disaster situation.
I figured he was expanding his duties in a disaster situation too. Heís a tenured Starfleet officer, so while medical may not be his field of expertise he probably was able to help a little, and at least get people where they needed to be. Never bothered me that badly, but I can see where that part was probably intended for McCoy.
Old 11-27-20, 11:36 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

for those not watching Discovery, the latest episode had the USS Yelchin helping out.
Old 11-27-20, 09:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
for those not watching Discovery, the latest episode had the USS Yelchin helping out.
thatís a great memorial though.