Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek 4 (?) -- news, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Trek 4 (?) -- news, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-19, 12:37 AM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts
re: Star Trek 4 (?) -- news, rumors, etc.

MAJOR bummer. I really like these movies!
Old 01-12-19, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I liked the cast of these films but never really loved the films themselves. Beyond feels the most like Trek to me. All three of them tried too hard to make the franchise more of a sci-fi/action series rather than actually honoring what made Star Trek unique. I’m sure a lot of that was Paramount thinking traditional Trek wouldn’t sell to audiences though.
Old 01-12-19, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Another Stark Trek film series without a satisfying conclusion. Paramount sucks.
Old 01-12-19, 09:42 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

getting this crew together in 10 years with maroon uniforms would be pretty awesome.
Old 01-12-19, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
Another Stark Trek film series without a satisfying conclusion. Paramount sucks.
pretty much. This franchise has been a mess since the beginning. In an era of actors signing multi-film contracts, 3 movies in 10 years is ridiculous (for comparison sake Marvel created their entire universe and 20 films in almost that same exact time frame!).
Old 01-12-19, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I really liked Beyond and if need be, I can accept it as a "soft" ending for this crew, especially with Yelchin's death. But on the other hand, Trek has a way of turning death into a fighting chance to live. Maybe the Tarantino project is just what this needs. Surely the cast would be willing to get together with someone with his pedigree.
Old 01-13-19, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
Truer words have never been spoken.
Old 01-13-19, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

If you watched that YouTube video, Beyond was a massive massive bomb for Paramount. They estimated that it cost close to $400M to make with production costs and marketing. It lost a shit load of money and that's what killed this franchise.

A Star Trek movie should not cost $300-400M to make. That would kill any movie franchise with a budget that ridiculous.
Old 01-13-19, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Wow. Watching that video, if accurate, it looks like the future of ANY Star Trek movies are in serious doubt.

Paramount took an extremely well taken reboot and just ran it into the ground.
Old 01-14-19, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The J.J. Abrams movies have made very little profit or lost money. I heard Into Darkness and Beyond both lost money. Robert Meyer Burnett, who's a huge Star Trek pundit and produced the Next Generation BD extras, said he heard that Into Darkness cost over $300M+ to make with marketing. He also says that Star Trek doesn't play well overseas. The financial return is simply not there to make these movies worthwhile to Paramount. Hence, that's why it was reported that the studio asked Pine and Hemsworth to take less money for the potential 4th movie and both said no.

Budget issues are the main thing that is killing the movie franchise. I bet that the director Clarkson got tired of waiting around for the movie to finally get greelit and hence decided to move on.
The fact that Star Trek doesn't play well overseas is nothing new...Paramount has known that since the 1980s. I still don't think Paramount is going to give up on a film franchise indefinitely, but yeah - it appears the one with Pine is DOA. I'm reading reports now that the reason Clarkson went to the GOT prequel was because ST4 WAS cancelled, so basically she was freed up.
Old 01-14-19, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

So the Abrams-verse Trek series is over? I guess I'll have to watch new The Fast and Furious movies to get my fix of his brand of Star Trek.
Old 01-14-19, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The fact that Star Trek doesn't play well overseas is nothing new...Paramount has known that since the 1980s. I still don't think Paramount is going to give up on a film franchise indefinitely, but yeah - it appears the one with Pine is DOA. I'm reading reports now that the reason Clarkson went to the GOT prequel was because ST4 WAS cancelled, so basically she was freed up.
​​​​​​I still find it a little odd that it doesn't play well overseas. I used to read the old fanzines and there were always letters from people around the world who grew up watching Trek. I understand that the concept works better on TV in general, but with the Kelvin films done in in a more cinematic style, it seems odd that they couldn't pull at least the folks looking for a fun, space adventure (though Into Darkness was pretty, well, dark).

Has anybody ever done market research to find out why folks in places like China don't like Trek?
Old 01-14-19, 07:33 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
​​​​​​

Has anybody ever done market research to find out why folks in places like China don't like Trek?
not just Trek, they don't go nuts for Star Wars either.
Old 01-14-19, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
not just Trek, they don't go nuts for Star Wars either.
It's more a political thing than a cultural one. The Party isn't big on sci-fi in general, and time travel stories in particular are simply banned altogether.
Old 01-15-19, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
So the Abrams-verse Trek series is over? I guess I'll have to watch new The Fast and Furious movies to get my fix of his brand of Star Trek.
In theaters, at least, although Star Trek Discovery is definitely more Abrams-like than Roddenberry-like (which makes sense, since Alex Kurtzman is exec producing all the new shows on CBS Access).
Old 11-25-20, 09:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Please tell me there not bringing in Helmsworth just bc he’s Thor and I guess “big” now
But, it’s not gonna be good as Nimoy/Quinto. And if I even feel a hint of Shatner, I will not watch another going forward. Unless it’s really good, then I probably would. But no Shatner or hologram Nimoy...
Old 11-26-20, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

That's a weird bump.
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (11-26-20)
Old 11-26-20, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Possibly a lipoma.
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (11-26-20)
Old 11-26-20, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Herbal delights...
Old 11-26-20, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Chris Helmsworth should be the helmsman on the Enterprise! People would go crazy for that!
Old 11-26-20, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I personally kind of wish they would have brought Shatner back somehow. It would have been nice if they had done it while Nimoy was still alive. He and Shatner actually got along reasonably well compared to Shatner and most of the other surviving TOS cast members.
Old 11-26-20, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How many times does the original cast need to make appearances in these movies?! They’ve popped up in various new films numerous times over the years. Frankly, I thought Nimoy appearing in the new movies was already too much.

Of course, I’ve never had a hard-on for the original cast that others do.
Old 11-26-20, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
How many times does the original cast need to make appearances in these movies?! They’ve popped up in various new films numerous times over the years. Frankly, I thought Nimoy appearing in the new movies was already too much.

Of course, I’ve never had a hard-on for the original cast that others do.
Aside from Nimoy’s appearance in the two films Abrams made the TOS cast haven’t made many appearance in quite a while really.

Shatner, Doohan, and Koenig were in Generations in 1994. A few of the actors had also made guest appearances on TNG (DeForest Kelley was in the pilot, Nimoy appeared a couple times, and Doohan appeared once) and Takei was on an episode of VOY. DS9 also used archive footage from the TOS episode The Trouble with Tribbles.
Old 11-26-20, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ That’s not enough?

How many send-offs do those characters need?
Old 11-26-20, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
^ That’s not enough?

How many send-offs do those characters need?
I’m just saying. You make it out like they’ve been hogging the spotlight forever. That hasn’t been the case since like the mid nineties.

Even in those instances they weren’t really in the spotlight a ton. The appearances made by the TOS crew were mostly one off guest appearances.

Kelley was in the opening of TNG’s pilot (not even five minutes I don’t think). Doohan had a full episode. Nimoy had two episodes. Takei was in the one episode of VOY. Shatner, Doohan, and Koenig were in Generations for like fifteen minutes or so at the beginning. Shatner is also in the climax at the end too.

Last edited by Mike86; 11-26-20 at 01:46 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.