Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek 4 (?) -- news, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Trek 4 (?) -- news, rumors, etc.

Old 04-26-18, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
re: Star Trek 4 (?) -- news, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by dex14
You tell me.

I would assume MiB then this.
MiB is gearing up, but nothing is set yet. I haven't seen any shoot dates.
Old 04-26-18, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I figured Tarantino directing was a long shot but I can’t say I’m not slightly disappointed. It could have been something interesting. At least his script might be used.
Maybe after he finishes OUATIH, he can shoot Pulp Trek.
Old 04-26-18, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Bring it on, I’ve come to enjoy the Kelvin cast.
Old 04-30-18, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I hope she can pull it off. Most TV directors that make movies wind up making them look like TV episodes with a budget.
Rian Johnson? The Russo Brothers?
Old 04-30-18, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Rian Johnson? The Russo Brothers?
Rian Johnson didn't start in TV, and the Russos got a lot of experience filming You, Me, and Dupree.

Clarkson has only done TV, so we'll see. But people like Whedon, and all his stuff looks like it was shot for TV imho.
Old 08-10-18, 06:05 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth are no longer boldly going where no person has gone before.

The two actors were in negotiations to star in Star Trek 4 but sources say that talks between the two actors and the companies making the new installment, Paramount Pictures and Skydance Media, have fallen apart, with both sides walking away from the table.

Dealmaking with other returning castmembers — including Zoe Saldana, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg and John Cho — was expected to follow suit.

Pine was due to reprise his role as iconic sci-fi hero Captain Kirk, which he has inhabited for three movies, while Hemsworth was to have played his father in a time-traveling adventure. (Hemsworth played the role in the prologue in the 2009 movie that rebooted the franchise.)

The deal points came down to the usual suspect: money. Pine and Hemsworth, among Hollywood’s A-list when starring in DC or Marvel movies, are said to be asking the studios to stick to existing deals. Paramount, according to insiders, contends that Trek is not like a Marvel or Star Wars movie and is trying to hold the line on a budget.

The actors, according to sources, insist they have deals in place and that the studios are reneging on them, forcing them to take pay cuts as they try to budget a movie that is following a mediocre performer.

Pine, at least, has had a deal in place for several years. The actor, now a key player in the Wonder Woman franchise, signed up for a fourth movie when he made his deal for 2016's Star Trek Beyond. Hemsworth has been attached to Trek 4 since Paramount, then run by the previous regime headed by Brad Grey, announced the fourth installment in 2016, although his exact status remains murky.

The studio, however, is backing its budget tough talk with past performance numbers. The last movie, Star Trek Beyond, grossed only $343 million worldwide on a budget of $190 million. In fact, one insider says the companies lost money on the movie.

The 2009 reboot that kicked off this run of movies, titled simply Star Trek, made $386 million while 2013’s Star Trek Into Darkness, is the top earner of any Trek movie, with $467 million. Meanwhile, Marvel, DC, or Star Wars movies regularly gross north of $700 million if not hitting $1 billion. Not for lack of trying, the Trek movies seem to have a ceiling, especially globally.

It is unclear what the next step is for Trek 4. The project could recast Kirk and his father. Or perhaps the two sides could come back to the table.

Either way, Paramount and Skydance insiders say the movie, also produced by J.J. Abrams' Bad Robot, remains a priority development and is not being put on hold. Adding a veneer of enterprise to the project is that for the first time in the franchise history, a female director, S. J. Clarkson (Jessica Jones, Succession), is sitting in the captain’s chair.

Paramount had no comment. CAA, which reps Pine and Hemsworth, had no comment.
Old 08-10-18, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Well that certainly sucks. I quite liked Pine as Kirk. Even though the rest of the cast may still be there they almost are better off scratching this and doing something completely different as they’ve lost their leading star and character.
Old 08-10-18, 06:57 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

no way Kirk is recast. they'll get it together or it will die on the vine. maybe retrofit the script to a rebooted TNG cast.
Old 08-10-18, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TGM
no way Kirk is recast. they'll get it together or it will die on the vine. maybe retrofit the script to a rebooted TNG cast.
I was kinda thinking maybe it’s time to a TNG movie universe reboot too. As much as I hate the idea as it’s my personal favorite Trek series and it’s going to be difficult for me seeing any of those roles recast it’s really the next logical step. Going forward without Kirk or recasting is going to doom this movie. It was hard enough to get someone to fill the shoes of Shatner but somehow Pine became fairly well liked. No way that happens twice though.
Old 08-10-18, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

I'd really rather not have a fourth nuTrek movie center around Hemsworth's character. Just seems like another wasted small concept movie. Anotjer movie about Kirk's daddy issues. Yawn. Just give Pine what he wants, and fight the nuBorg or nuDoomsday Machine.

On that note, wouldn't mind them recasting these nuTrek characters as necessary, though. None of them have hit the "icon" status the originals did. Frankly, Pine looks he's aged thirty years since the first Trek in '09.
Old 08-10-18, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For me while none of the new cast is iconic as their original counterparts I think they’ve done a decent job and I like the three movies in the Abrams-verse pretty well. I think Pine works well because he’s not a carbon copy of Shatner but to me he’s got enough gravitas by now that I accept his Kirk. I think part of the problem is that Paramount has really never given Star Trek proper respect. It’s always kind of come off like they have the mentality of “I guess we have that Star Trek thing we can do something with even though we don’t really give a shit”.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-10-18 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-10-18, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
On that note, wouldn't mind them recasting these nuTrek characters as necessary, though. None of them have hit the "icon" status the originals did. Frankly, Pine looks he's aged thirty years since the first Trek in '09.
Exaggerate much? He's got some gray, sure, but he doesn't look like any 50-60 year old that I know. He still looks younger than Shatner in any of the original Trek films
Old 08-10-18, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'd really rather not have a fourth nuTrek movie center around Hemsworth's character. Just seems like another wasted small concept movie. Anotjer movie about Kirk's daddy issues. Yawn. Just give Pine what he wants, and fight the nuBorg or nuDoomsday Machine.
Frankly this whole concept sounded like nothing more than trying to cash in on Hemsworth’s popularity. Seems like a silly reason to write an entire movie for. Kirk’s dad was never meant to be anything beyond what we saw in Star Trek ‘09 until they realized he was played by a now famous actor.
Old 08-10-18, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

It's Paramount playing hardball like, as someone pointed out on another forum, they have done with Tom Cruise on the past few Mission Impossible movies. A deal will be made.
Old 08-11-18, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I don’t want to see a recast so soon. If they can’t make a deal, then let this series be a trilogy and just move on.
Old 08-11-18, 09:11 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
It's Paramount playing hardball like, as someone pointed out on another forum, they have done with Tom Cruise on the past few Mission Impossible movies. A deal will be made.
Bingo.
Old 08-11-18, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I’m not so positive. They probably view Pine as easier to replace than someone like Cruise. Star Trek also doesn’t pull in nearly the same numbers as Mission: Impossible.
Old 08-11-18, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, we'll see. I just think Paramount is trying to save money and get the budget down more. It'd just be odd for them to recast Pine as Kirk and yet literally everyone else is back. Hemsworth OTOH is probably expendable and can be recast since he was only in the first one (which by the time this comes out will be 10+ years) and only for a few minutes.
Old 08-11-18, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Well, we'll see. I just think Paramount is trying to save money and get the budget down more. It'd just be odd for them to recast Pine as Kirk and yet literally everyone else is back. Hemsworth OTOH is probably expendable and can be recast since he was only in the first one (which by the time this comes out will be 10+ years) and only for a few minutes.
Yeah, but without Hemsworth as George Kirk, there's really no reason for George Kirk to be in this movie.
Old 08-11-18, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True.

Anyway, like I said, it's a strategy on both sides and a deal will get done.
Old 08-11-18, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 593 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Yeah, but without Hemsworth as George Kirk, there's really no reason for George Kirk to be in this movie.
Agreed, and largely for the reasons GoldenJCJ stated:
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Frankly this whole concept sounded like nothing more than trying to cash in on Hemsworth’s popularity. Seems like a silly reason to write an entire movie for. Kirk’s dad was never meant to be anything beyond what we saw in Star Trek ‘09 until they realized he was played by a now famous actor.
Dump Hemsworth, which allows Paramount the budget to give Pine what he wants - and then come up with a better idea!
Old 08-11-18, 07:16 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

time to break out the NuBorg!
Old 08-11-18, 10:06 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of Hemsworth, it’s his birthday today.
Old 08-12-18, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

If you drop Hemsworth, you may not have to scrap the script - was Hemsworth really in the role long enough that viewers won't accept another actor? Remember, they replaced Kirstie Alley with Robin Curtis and fans accepted it. I'm in the consensus here - dump Hemsworth and pay for Pine. Hire another actor to play George Kirk.
Old 08-12-18, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
If you drop Hemsworth, you may not have to scrap the script - was Hemsworth really in the role long enough that viewers won't accept another actor? Remember, they replaced Kirstie Alley with Robin Curtis and fans accepted it. I'm in the consensus here - dump Hemsworth and pay for Pine. Hire another actor to play George Kirk.
But the entire reason for the script having George Kirk in in is to bring back Hemsworth IMO. If they're not going to bring him back, just make something better.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 08-12-18 at 01:46 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.