Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek 4 (D: Hawley) -- news, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Trek 4 (D: Hawley) -- news, rumors, etc.

Old 01-11-20, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: Star Trek 4 (D: Hawley) -- news, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
If they go in a new direction I'm all for it. I mean fuck...Star Trek has to grow and evolve. It needs to look at new characters, places, stories, etc. Sure, keep some of the same spirit of the original...but keeping the same ole stale shit from 1960's has to go. Plus lots of you Trekkies will be dead so they need to bring in new fan blood.
They've BEEN doing that for like 30 years or so.
Old 01-11-20, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
they've been doing that for like 30 years or so.
thank you.
Old 01-11-20, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Yeah. Really weve gotten a lot of moving forward with new ideas with Star Trek for a long time. Really until the Kelvin timeline films and Discovery. Even Enterprise, while being a prequel did so with new characters rather than bringing back the TOS cast. Picard is relying on TNG era characters, but its moving ahead rather than backwards.
Old 01-11-20, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
You know, I got to thinking - what Hawley did with Fargo was take a well-know and much beloved iconic work and created something totally new with new cast and new characters, but still somehow maintained the spirit, feel and theme of the original. It was different but totally of the same DNA. It was a smart tribute rather than a remake or sequel or reboot.
If he does something like that with Star Trek, I am okay with a new cast and new characters.
This. This. This. And This.
Old 01-11-20, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ever since Deep Space Nine, the urge to re-tool Star Trek by different show runners has mainly turned up lead rather than gold. A lot of the re-tooling is akin to having a Sherlock Holmes series or movie where Sherlock doesn't bother to solve mysteries and instead sits around his house binge watching and drinking with his buddies. If exploration of space and the human condition, morality plays, and the hope for a better future is removed from Trek, is it really Trek?
Old 01-15-20, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

If I were in charge of Trek, I'd mandate all stories have to take place after the TNG/DS9/Voyager era. Enough of the past. Move the universe forward.
The following users liked this post:
bunkaroo (01-15-20)
Old 01-15-20, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
If I were in charge of Trek, I'd mandate all stories have to take place after the TNG/DS9/Voyager era. Enough of the past. Move the universe forward.
The only exception I'd allow is the Romulan War that ENT was supposed to cover.

But otherwise, yeah let's get going. There's so many possibilities to explore. At least Picard is doing that.
Old 01-15-20, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
I do tend to agree that Trek should mostly move forward, but I would like to see an Assignment: Earth series with Gary Seven. It could cover the "Trek" universe in the late 20th and early 21st century. Maybe a bit like Doctor Who; where Gary Seven time travels around trying to keep the timeline intact. Could cover things like Khan, The Eugenics Wars, WWIII, Colonel Green, Flint, the Temporal Cold War plotline from Enterprise.