Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
3.66%
15.85%
47.56%
10.98%
10.98%
3.66%
4.88%
1.22%
1.22%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 11-10-16, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Re: Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I just rented this and loved it. 3 for 3 for me in this new Start Trek franchise.

Krall's motivation made sense. It was the same motivation as Robocop's in "Edge of Darkness".

WARMONGERING

Last edited by Giantrobo; 11-10-16 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-10-16, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts

I think Krall would have worked better if he was presented as a rogue Starfleet officer from the get-go instead of disguised as an alien. This did the same thing they did with Khan in STID, kep the villain's true identity secret for most of the movie.

I really hope the fourth nuTrek film doesn't have another guy with a grudge against Starfleet. We've had three in a row. Find something new, mkay?
Old 11-11-16, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

Finally saw it. It was just Ok... Krall was a horrible villain and the ending really sucked. Up to that point I was enjoying it.
Old 11-11-16, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think Krall would have worked better if he was presented as a rogue Starfleet officer from the get-go instead of disguised as an alien. This did the same thing they did with Khan in STID, kep the villain's true identity secret for most of the movie.

I really hope the fourth nuTrek film doesn't have another guy with a grudge against Starfleet. We've had three in a row. Find something new, mkay?
Well, it's supposedly George Kirk who probably does have a bit of a grudge, lol.
Old 11-11-16, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Far from perfect but entirely enjoyable. I agree with the complaint that Krull would have been a better villain with a better structured storyline and no hiding of identity.

But his motives made sense, solid pacing, good characters.

Behroooooooz!

Agdashloo finally looks her age, only took her to 64 to get there. Quinto looks more like prime Spock with age.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-11-16 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-11-16, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't care all that much for the first 2. But this was easily the worst of the rebooted Trek movies. Just horrible screen writing.
Old 12-23-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

WTF did I just watch? We finally got around to renting this last night, and there were so many times during it that I turned to my partner and said "You've got to be fucking kidding me".

We damn near turned it off when the beastie boys came on. Colossally stupid. Insipidly Korny. What were they thinking??
Old 12-23-16, 11:28 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

The Beastie Boys almost made you turn it off? That's from the first movie when Kirk as a kid was playing it when he stole the car. I found it to be a nice nod to the first movie and keeping it consistent with his character. Overall, the movie didn't mesh as well for me as the first two. I didn't hate it, but I didn't care for it much. But great Atmos mix and really good picture on the 4K.
Old 12-23-16, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

it was more the whole idea of playing "classical" music to destroy the enemy ships that had our eyes rolling. The main issue to us was the overall look and feel of the movie seemed really strange. It was almost like it couldn't decide if it wanted to be a "serious blockbuster MOVIE!" or a "goofy lo-rent tv episode".
Old 12-23-16, 12:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

^^^ Can't disagree with you on that. The look didn't work for this one.
Old 12-23-16, 12:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

i'm so mixed on this one. i remembering enjoying it in theater, but at home was much different experience. just didn't jive with me the 2nd time. really weird for me. i did enjoy Into Darkness much more the 2nd time and really liked this one. but, nothing compares to the thrills of the 1st...
Old 12-23-16, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Funny enough, I liked Into the Darkness the first time but have disliked it more and more since to the point it's easily #3 of this reboot trilogy.
Old 12-23-16, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Funny enough, I liked Into the Darkness the first time but have disliked it more and more since to the point it's easily #3 of this reboot trilogy.
I think that the first two-thirds of Into Darkness are pretty good, it's that last act that turns the damned thing into a high-school play doing Wrath of Khan that makes the whole thing fall apart.
Old 12-24-16, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I thought Beyond had great character moments, but the overall story was a little unsatisfying. Krall's motivations, super weapon, and evil scheme felt like something out of a Marvel movie. I didn't even understand why he needed to comb the universe for the pieces of that weapon since he already HAD a super weapon - he had a freaking drone swarm that could destroy anything. (And I couldn't figure out where he was keeping all one million of those things when they weren't being used.) Plus were the writers aware that Krall resembled Sarris from Galaxy Quest?

Last edited by rennervision; 12-24-16 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-24-16, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichC2

Behroooooooz!

Omg. I died. 😂
Old 01-02-17, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My last movie viewing of 2016... I love my Star Trek, but this new film series continues to do less and less for me. Just too many of the nu-Trek trappings that don't do the franchise any real justice. Most of the cast continue to do yeoman's work reprising the classic characters, except Pine who doesn't exude near enough Kirk for me to buy it. Another poor conclusion seems to be the only excuse for hiding Idris under gobs of makeup. I did like the new girl, though.

Final Rating: Needs More Shat
Old 01-02-17, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the biggest flaw with NuTrek is the lack of good antagonists.

Nero was a weak villain. He was just an asshole with a stupid vendetta, and had no gravitas or personality.

They completely fumbled the ball with Khan in ITD. Weak motivation, the Starfleet conspiracy angle wasn't credible, Khan did very little, and they threw in stupid shit like the nagic blood.

Krall was another weak villain with a poor motivation. Apart from having a good actor (hidden under prosthetics like Eccleston from the second Thor movie), Krall just reeked of being the villain from a c-list episode. Reminded me of Star Trek Insurrection, in that it felt like an onerwrought, over-produced tv episode.

I want to see Khan kicking ass. I want to see vicious Klingons tearing shit up. I want to see the Doomsday Machine ripping planets to shreds.
Old 01-02-17, 08:40 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

bring us the Borg.
Old 01-02-17, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
bring us the Borg.
Yes x1000!
Old 01-02-17, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd love to see nuKirk face off against the Borg in one of the films.

Right now, the IDW comic series is featuring the Borg, who have come to recover Nero's ship, the Narada, which was built using Borg technology. I'm not sure how "canon" the comics are, but if they're using the Borg in it, it could indicate that they won't be using them in the films since the comics have historically covered concepts that the films didn't, such as adapting TOS episodes with the nuCrew.
Old 01-09-17, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 457 Posts

I watched this last night. First time viewing. Here are some random thoughts/observations.

For the first ~10 minutes I found myself wondering if I were watching Galaxy Quest II. I reminded myself it was mostly written by the guy who brought us Sean of the Dead and World's End, among other comedy classics, who really has no idea how to write a SF film, much less something with Star Trek in the name.

Krall looks so much like G'Kar from Babylon 5 that I kept getting distracted wondering if that's the best design that "creature effects" could come up with.

Having the backstory for Krall presented *up front* would have helped make him a bit more sympathetic *and* given us reason for everything that happened. Until we find out *who* he is the film is a mostly random series of "set pieces" to get us from point A to point B to point C, etc.

Weird aliens for the sake of having weird aliens. Also distracting, and not in a good way.

Just where did they get fuel for that motorcycle? And *it's* a main plot device? What type fuel does it use? If gasoline - where did they get it? And it's still viable as a fuel after sitting stagnant for ~100 years?

Not a "Beastie Boys" fan and couldn't pick out any of their material from any other random hip-hop/rap (I had to look up their genre) as I'm not a fan of that musical form at all, but it didn't fit (didn't fit the first film either) and to call it "classical music" is a slap in the face to *true* "classical" music. Still I had to smile a bit with the entire crew nodding with the beat.

*One* alien from a previously *unknown* race shows up and they say "Sure, we'll send the Enterprise to give you a hand!" without *any* research or double-checking what this alien says.

They take the Enterprise *deep inside* the station? Through a "conduit" that's not much larger than the ship? And later have it essentially warp out?

Once again there's a series of *manual* overrides needed to open a special vent to "save the day," *BUT* if you trigger them *you* have to be *out* in *seconds* or risk being sucked into space? If you fail you get sucked into a giant fan? And *one* doesn't work right/in time? Who writes this stuff!?!?! (Oh yeah... a guy who writes comedy films for a living)

You're able to repair, and launch, a star ship that crashed ~100 years ago, that *doesn't* fly in atmosphere, and *hasn't* already been repaired/destroyed by the people who have *far more sophisticated ships* at their disposal?

Had a big deal not been made, repeatedly, of the "Sulu is gay" aspect, that single scene would likely have been *totally* ignored/missed by 99% of the audience, making it nothing more than a blatant marketing ploy and totally gratuitous.

Horrible, horrible, horrible dialog.

When the credits rolled I felt that you could take away the Trek names for everything and have a rather generic SF adventure story. With just a bit of reworking it could easily have been Galaxy Quest II, and likely a better film in the process as it wouldn't have had the weight of the Star Trek franchise to overcome.

Another "Just OK" film in the NuTrek universe. At least this one didn't offer barely disguised recycled TV scripts for the story. For that alone I rank it slightly higher than the first two films, but that's not really saying much.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 01-10-17 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-09-17, 12:51 PM

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,088 Posts

"I liked it."
Old 01-09-17, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The screenplay for this was garbage. I liked the first movie well enough, but the writing in each successive one just gets worse and worse.
Old 01-09-17, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,159 Likes on 2,035 Posts

I enjoyed this quite an bit but the motorcycle was ridiculous. I can't believe no one involved in making the film thought it was odd that a 20th Century motorcycle was just lying around on a starship.

If the filmmakers insisted on still having such a silly sequence in the movie, at least make it a futuristic motorcycle of some sort.
Old 01-10-17, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

This movie was shit. Simple as that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.