Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
3.66%
15.85%
47.56%
10.98%
10.98%
3.66%
4.88%
1.22%
1.22%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-16, 09:28 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Star Trek Beyond" (Starring: Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, John Cho, Anton Yelchin, Idris Elba)

Release Date:
7/22/16

Rating:
PG-13 (for sequences of sci-fi action and violence throughout.)

Running Time:
120m. (2h. 00m.)

Budget:
$150 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
The first leg of the USS Enterprise's five year mission takes them into uncharted territory. There the Enterprise is nearly destroyed and strands Kirk and his crew on a remote planet with no means of communication. Kirk must then work with the elements to reunite his crew and get back to Earth.

IMDb Info and Rating:
0.0 (0 votes as of 7/15/16)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:20 Rotten:03 (87% as of 7/15/16)

Metacritic:
68 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 7/15/16)

Trailer:

Poster Art:
Old 07-19-16, 01:50 PM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts
Re: Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Currently 91% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_beyond/
Old 07-20-16, 01:02 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Got my tickets for Saturday. Can't wait!
Old 07-20-16, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Just got my tickets for Sunday Imax at Navy Pier Chicago!
Old 07-20-16, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

We rewatched the first movie last night since it was playing on the FX cable channel... still really enjoyed it and find it excellent, especially the opening scenes with George and then destruction of Vulkan. I still find it impressive that my fiancee is actually in to the new movies.
Old 07-20-16, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

It's at 94% with 47 reviews, it still has a long way to go (in terms of critics) but it's off to a solid start.

"Not every wheel needs reinventing, and one of the abiding pleasures of "Star Trek," in its old and newer iterations, lies in its balance of stubborn consistency and canny inventiveness." - A.O. Scott NY Times

"While Star Trek Beyond absolutely delivers as a pure, pulse-raising spectacle, it is also none too shabby as a rollicking adventure yarn." - Some Aussie

"If you wrote a list of what you wanted from a Star Trek film, from action and humor to strong characters (both male and female) and a solid storyline, this delivers and it deserves your dollars." - Forbes

I'm just glad that we have a sequel this summer that apparently meets expectations.
Old 07-20-16, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Watched my BD of the 1st movie a few days ago. Hadn't seen it since I saw it in theatres back in 2009. It was still very fun and entertaining. Going to try to take on Into Darkness this weekend.

Can't watch Beyond until probably Monday. I have 2 very early shifts at work this weekend and I'll be very tired. I don't want to fall asleep at the theatre.
Old 07-20-16, 03:27 PM

Gonna see this Friday. So glad about the positive buzz. Pegg seems to really have a handle on writing these characters. Really love everything he does on and off camera...
Old 07-21-16, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Seeing it tonight. I expect I'll have a review up by tomorrow morning.
Old 07-21-16, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Watched my BD of the 1st movie a few days ago. Hadn't seen it since I saw it in theatres back in 2009. It was still very fun and entertaining. Going to try to take on Into Darkness this weekend.

Can't watch Beyond until probably Monday. I have 2 very early shifts at work this weekend and I'll be very tired. I don't want to fall asleep at the theatre.
We're on the same plan. I watched the first film last Saturday and I had forgotten a lot of the plot points since I first saw it (in particular the "alternate time-line" aspect). Then I watched the 2-3 hours of extras, which were a nice throwback to the days when you got a large set of nicely-produced features in addition to your film. I just got a new 4k TV, so I'm kind of wallowing in how nice it all looks.

Tomorrow night I'll re-visit "Into Darkness". "Beyond" will be Saturday night.

I'm an old, old man and I see movies late at night, so it's caffeine and energy drinks for me.
Old 07-21-16, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by DWilson
I'm an old, old man and I see movies late at night, so it's caffeine and energy drinks for me.
LOL, I am an old man, too, but I try to hit matinees and early evening shows. If it starts after 7:30, I generally pass. Love the senior discount.
Old 07-21-16, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Watching this tonight...
Old 07-21-16, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not a pre-2009 Star Trek fan. It's not that I don't like the older movies and series — I saw a few of the films and a handful of episodes — it's just not something I spent time with. On the other hand, I've seen the 2009 film and it's sequel several times. I've spent more time with this generation of Star Trek than with all the others combined. I am, in short, the very audience the first remake pursued, and I'm hooked.

I was worried when JJ walked away from directing the franchise. Justin Lin seemed to be an interesting choice and I was onboard for it: Fast 5 is one of the great 80s action films of this decade and remains the best of that series.

Visually, he adapts the material pretty well, with the exception of slow expository spins that happen a bit too often. But the action, when it happens (and it does so often) is clear. This is impressive considering a few times the entire set is flipped on its side, upside down, or doesn't follow the laws of physics we know.

The writing is sharp, but the two main conflicts (the villain and whether or not Kirk and Spock will stay together) never seem to carry much of a risk. In that sense this has the danger of becoming an Avengers film, where cities are destroyed but our heroes are never in danger. This probably has less to do with the writing and more with the expectations of what happens in a movie that cost more than a quarter of a billion to make and advertise.

Pegg and Lin do great work within the formula they have to follow and the movie uses its ensemble cast well, especially Sofia Boutella.

Highly recommended.
Old 07-21-16, 02:02 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Old 07-21-16, 09:56 PM

From my Facebook movie review page Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies:

Star Trek Beyond (PG-13) The NuTrek crew settles in for the long haul, and that’s a great thing

Kirk, Spock, Bones, and the rest of Enterprise crew are back, and it just feels right. J.J. Abrams hands over the director’s reins to Justin Lin of the Fast and Furious franchise, and Lin delivers a Star Trek adventure (co-written by Simon Pegg, who plays Scotty) that is exciting, funny, action-packed, and nice reflection of the original series.

The Enterprise is just over three years into its first five-year mission, and Kirk is starting to get the space blahs. He is still recovering from his latest assignment, a very funny diplomatic scene which opens the film - who knew an alien species could have such an inferiority complex? Both Kirk and Spock are considering alternate career choices outside of space exploration, when the Enterprise is called to conduct a rescue mission on a planet near the massive space outpost where the crew is taking a break.

The “rescue mission” turns out to be a ruse that results in the Enterprise getting shredded, and the surviving crew members either captured or stranded on the planet’s surface. The ambush was set up by a creature with a major grudge against the Federation that goes back more than a century.

Bones and Spock are paired, as are Kirk and Chekov, while Scotty teams with an alien female who is a bit of a MacGyver. Among the captured crew, Uhura and Sulu work to figure out what the bad guys have in store for them. It’s going to take teamwork and ingenuity to get them out of their predicament.

Star Trek Beyond is a throwback to the stories of the old series, with a bit (well, a lot) more action. The NuTrek cast members are comfortable in their roles, the plot was obviously developed by a Star Trek fan, and the whole movie just clicks. There is a big brash callback to the 2009 film, as well as a sentimental and heartfelt nostalgic moment directly tied to the Original Series’ movie adventures.

Star Trek Beyond is a reminder that there is still a lot of mileage left in Roddenberry’s original ideas, and I personally can’t wait to see where we are going next (plans for the next film have already been announced). I am giving Star Trek Beyond a 4 out of 5.

Notes for parents: Rated PG-13 primarily for some intense sci-fi space action and tense moments of conflict with the bad guys. There are about 2.5 scary scenes where the big bad drains life energy from a couple of crew members and subjects another to a bio-weapon test. There are two uses of the word “horse-s**t”, and one “a**”.
Old 07-21-16, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Saw it tonight and enjoyed it throughly. I'd heard that the middle was boring with the crew separated but it wasn't for long and I had no issues with that.

And I'm sure it'll get a lot of hate but I loved the use of "Sabotage"

Another fun ride with this crew!
Old 07-21-16, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

So, I'll be the first to say I'm not a Trekkie...I've never even seen a full episode of the TV series, nor the movies with the original cast. But as a sci-fi movie fan, I have enjoyed the modern franchise. I can't be as critical of the movies as major fans of the franchise are concerned, so I'm basing it off one thing: am I entertained? Yes, to all 3 movies now.

My only issue with this one was playing the Beastie Boys song to destroy the horde. That might have been one of the lamest, most cringe inducing things I've seen in a movie in a long time, especially when Sulu was bumping to the song. Just painful.

Other than that, I thought it was an entertaining sci fi movie. The cast is great, Zoe Saldana is really hot, and the action is pretty solid.

I was going to give it 4 stars, but went with 3 1/2 for the song.
Old 07-22-16, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Just saw this tonight and I think it's the best of the new bunch. It doesn't feel bloated at all and still looks great considering they shaved off like 40 million dollars from the budget. Idris Elba and Sofia Boutella were the standouts.

I didn't mind the Sabatoge song - it's kinda been the theme since the beginning of the whole alternate universe, so it's quit congruent.

Our theater gave away one of these posters and I snagged one. I dig it.

Old 07-22-16, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Saw this last night...it's pretty good, although I dare say not quite as good as the 2009 movie (but worlds better than Into Darkness).

I was wrong about
Spoiler:
the Enterprise not being destroyed...I had read somewhere that it was only badly damaged...and I guess it is, but it's damaged beyond recovery. The one thing this movie gets WRONG (and this is true of the entire reboot series of films) is that it never was able to establish the ship as its own character...in the original, of course, Kirk would do anything to save his vessel...in these films, it's just treated as another piece of disposable hardware.

The smartest thing the movie does is break off its main cast into smaller groupings once they are marooned on the alien planet in this film. Kirk & Chekov; Spock & McCoy; Scotty and our new alien Jaylah, and Uhura, Sulu, and the remainder of the Enterprise crew (which seems to amount to about 50 people...did the other 350+ get killed in the attack? - If they did, there's ZERO sense of loss by Kirk & Co....it kind of bothered me as a viewer).

The weakest part of the movie is - surprise! - once again, the villain. Idris Elba is just "okay" as Krull, but his slow annunciation of everything got annoying after a while, not to mention the fact that once we learn more about him, it's never really explained WHY he would talk like this. He reminds me a lot of the villain in Star Trek: Insurrection, and has about as much impact...he's basically just an obstacle in the movie, not a fully fleshed-out character - at least in my viewpoint.

I didn't see the movie in 3D, so I don't know how the various action sequences are going to play out...but I found them to be a little too long and mostly confusing to watch - particularly the two space battles early on and again late in the film...it's basically a case of trying to fill up the screen with F/X - there's SO much going on, there's no real sense of clarity to it all. The one exception to this is when the movie makes use of the Beastie Boys' 'Sabotage'...it's put to really good use here, and is probably the highlight of all the action moments in the movie.

The BEST parts of 'Star Trek Beyond' are the scenes between Quinto and Urban - they're great here and manage to capture the Spock/McCoy relationship perfectly.

Although I don't feel this movie is quite as good as 2009's Star Trek, it's certainly the most 'Star Trek' movie we've gotten in these three efforts - meaning it's the one that feels most like those original and TNG movies did (there's a very nice nod to the original cast toward the end of the movie, BTW). It also doesn't have any of the silliness that Into Darkness did - such as transporters that can send a person across the galaxy or the Enterprise (or any other ship) traveling huge distances in a very short amount of time for plot purposes. I'm sure nitpickers will find a few things that didn't make sense, but all in all, kudos to writers Simon Pegg and Doug Jung for planting us firmly back in the Star Trek universe with this film.

I'll have more to say once people get a chance to see this and I'll feel better about going into spoiler territory, but for now, this is a very good Star Trek movie: better than The Motion Picture, Star Trek III, Star Trek V, Generations, Insurrection, Nemesis and Into Darkness, but not quite as good as Star Treks II, IV, VI, First Contact, and the 2009 movie.

I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.
Old 07-22-16, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I gave Krall's annunciation a pass, because it fit his reptilian-like alien character perfectly and once we know his origin - well, he hasn't been a human for more than a hundred years, so it's not like he can just go back to how he used to sound. I'd say absorbing people's life force comes with a price.

I also really liked his entrance - that was so bad ass.
Old 07-22-16, 09:22 AM

Throwing a couple of things out there early...

Spoiler:
So Kirk's step-dad is now an operations officer on the Yorktown outpost? That guy hasn't aged a day!

and

Spoiler:
"Hello, Kevin. I see you still not wearing pants."

What a fun movie!
Old 07-22-16, 09:43 AM

anyone see this in 3D? worth it, not so much?

also, any after credit sequence?
Old 07-22-16, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
anyone see this in 3D? worth it, not so much?

also, any after credit sequence?
No after credits. Just a text tribute to Nimoy and Yelchin.
Old 07-22-16, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3D was pretty well done IMO. Liked it a lot - I think Lin handled the pacing and action well but honestly I missed JJ's aesthetic - the bridge of the Enterprise just didn't feel right without the lens flares and everything felt SLICKER - no zooms mid action, less playing with depth of field etc. - it was still great but it somehow felt less cinematic than the previous installments... and while I'm willing to acknowledge that Into Darkness has some serious flaws, this one doesn't even come close to being better than Trek '09... it's a great addition to a great series but let's not go crazy here
Old 07-22-16, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Had a very good time with this movie. It does a nice job of being respectful to TOS. Really liked the character Jayla. Loved her makeup.

It was nice what they did with Nimoy. Kinda tugged at the heart a tad.

Good crowd at the theater and everyone seemed to have a good time. It's a nice addition to the series.

+1/2

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.