Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters (Feig, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Ghostbusters (Feig, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
0%
1.79%
12.50%
17.86%
17.86%
7.14%
12.50%
8.93%
1.79%
1.79%
12.50%
What are you high?
5.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Ghostbusters (Feig, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-16, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters (Feig, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

This is really becoming the summer of meh for me. First X-men, then Warcraft, Independence Day, Tarzan and now Ghostbusters. This movie was so meh that I fell asleep during the third act.

I was actually totally into from the beginning. Great opening, but then the jokes start landing so lame. And then they repeat them! Like McCarthy never getting the right ratio in her wanton soup. All the best laughs were given away in the trailer. Then we have a villian with practically zero backstory or characterization and giant leaps of logic like figuring out the portals or whatever by drawing and intersecting lines.

The plot framework is almost identical to the original movie so the movie just comes off flat and very lazy. I think it would have been a much more satisfying experience to keep continuity with the original films and have the new team as related to the original team somehow. Dusting off the old equipment in storage for 30 years to face down a new threat.
Old 07-20-16, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHive08
And I don't understand the movie's insistence on verbally pointing out the visual gags. Like when Kevin scratches his eye through his glasses for the first time and you realize they don't have lenses. That's funny. But then they immediately ask him, "Why don't your glasses have lenses?" And he says something about them being too hard to clean and the joke dies. There's also a bit where something loud happens and Kevin covers his eyes instead of his ears. Again, a decent visual gag. But again, right after, "Look, he's covering his eyes instead of his ears." I don't understand killing jokes like that, unless they think the audience is too dumb to get it without verbal confirmation of what they're seeing.
That's a very improv thing to do.

I perform with some improv groups in town and some of the "veteran" performers do things like asking why another performer did some bit of business. The idea is that if you saw your co-worker do that in real life, you'd comment on it. It grounds it over living in a world where someone scratches their eyes through their fake glasses and no one says a word, which can come across as unrealistic.

There are whole philosophies from improvisers on whether or not to do things like that. Given how much improvisation there is on a Paul Feig movie and how many of the actors have that as a background, you see it all the time in his movies.

Personally I find that stuff hilarious - it makes the performances feel more real to me.
Old 07-20-16, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

$150 million movies should NOT be improved. Not even if you're Bill Murray. Certainly not if you're these four ladies.
Old 07-20-16, 07:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why not? Good improv actors can come up with fantastic material, sometimes better than what you can get in a writer's room. Shouldn't they be working to make the best movie they can make, and not following some arbitrary rules laid down by an internet critic?
Old 07-20-16, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
$150 million movies should NOT be improved. Not even if you're Bill Murray. Certainly not if you're these four ladies.
I don't know much about Jones and McKinnon's background, but Wiig and McCarthy are two of the best improvisers around. And Feig does take after take of improvised dialogue in all of his movies.
Old 07-20-16, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I don't know much about Jones and McKinnon's background, but Wiig and McCarthy are two of the best improvisers around. And Feig does take after take of improvised dialogue in all of his movies.
That probably explains why I haven't liked any of his movies yet.
Old 07-21-16, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a very improv thing to do.

I perform with some improv groups in town and some of the "veteran" performers do things like asking why another performer did some bit of business. The idea is that if you saw your co-worker do that in real life, you'd comment on it. It grounds it over living in a world where someone scratches their eyes through their fake glasses and no one says a word, which can come across as unrealistic.

There are whole philosophies from improvisers on whether or not to do things like that. Given how much improvisation there is on a Paul Feig movie and how many of the actors have that as a background, you see it all the time in his movies.

Personally I find that stuff hilarious - it makes the performances feel more real to me.
I'll take your word for it since you have much more improv experience than me, but in the movie it felt forced and unfunny. Like they didn't trust the audience to get the gag, so they explained it to them. It just ran some of the jokes into the ground for me.
Old 07-21-16, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll take your word for it since you have much more improv experience than me, but in the movie it felt forced and unfunny. Like they didn't trust the audience to get the gag, so they explained it to them. It just ran some of the jokes into the ground for me.
That's fair enough. And there are definitely improvisers who don't subscribe to that philosophy. It's a personal preference thing.
Old 07-21-16, 12:04 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Our finest national critic offers his take:

http://www.filthycritic.com/
Old 07-21-16, 01:12 PM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

That's fair enough. And there are definitely improvisers who don't subscribe to that philosophy. It's a personal preference thing.
I think I agree with both of you (I've done improv, as well). Yes, it's effective especially live and in the movie it didn't bug me / I found it funny except one time - the pointing out the lenses were missing. It felt like spoonfeeding. The rest worked for me, as far as I can recall.
Old 07-21-16, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

$150 million movies should NOT be improved.
I know what you meant, but I still read that wrong a bunch of times.
Old 07-21-16, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

For a movie based on a "good but not great" franchise, this flick certainly has generated enough buzz to last a lifetime. I feel bad for the leads for all the crap they've taken and if there's one thing I've taken away from all this, it's that Sony usually craps the beds with major franchise reboots (I'm looking at you, Spiderman)... so I never really had high hopes anyways.
Old 07-21-16, 02:16 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Just imagine, if things were different, and this were a straight-up passing-the-torch sequel, all of the dudes complaining about it today would actually have went to see it in the first weekend.

The movie would have made dozens of more dollars. Dozens!*

*based on the idea that lots of normal folks wouldn't have bothered at all, it probably would have balanced out to be about the same. Hell, maybe lower.

Last edited by Dan; 07-21-16 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-21-16, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

$150 million movies should NOT be improved
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I know what you meant, but I still read that wrong a bunch of times.
Probably because it should have been "improv'd"
Old 07-21-16, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan
Just imagine, if things were different, and this were a straight-up passing-the-torch sequel, all of the dudes complaining about it today would actually have went to see it in the first weekend.
Had they gone this route I would have been there day fucking 1.

Ghostbusters was the first film I saw as a kid without my parents, I loved that movie, it will always have a special place in my heart.

I know I have said it before, but I have zero interest in seeing this one based on the humour, the fact it is a reboot, and the way Paul Feig and whatshername - the sony studio exec - handled the whole situation from the start.

I am absolutely devastated about what they did.
Old 07-21-16, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
Probably because it should have been "improv'd"
Or even "improvised"
Old 07-21-16, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While the movie is nothing special, I certainly had a good time watching it. Even if they were thin, I did like these characters. I hope they get a sequel, because while they fell short of it, I feel like they're very close to something really good.

My crowd loved McKinnon. I don't think anyone left the theater not having a crush on her character.
Old 07-23-16, 09:51 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Saw this Tuesday night. Not nearly as bad as I thought it'd be, but nothing too special. It had some laughs, but there were very, very few laugh out loud moments. The ghosts were pretty uninspired. I actually liked the chemistry of the new cast. It's a shame they didn't have much to do. I'd give it a three out of five.
Old 11-26-16, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Finally watched tonight and removed from all the durm and strang of the fanboys losing their minds, I really enjoyed this. I'm actually even more mad that it was a reboot instead of a continuation because a lot of the concepts and themes really felt like they belonged in the old animated series from the 80s and it could have breathed new life into the franchise.

Even so, this was still very funny and nowhere near deserving of the flak it took.
Old 12-05-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, going the straight reboot route was a mistake. It felt like they were just pushing you along the rails the first film set. Their whole attempt at a mayor/government conspiracy thing was DULL and pointless. The cameos were pretty wasted. And it does strain for laughs for the most part. Still...

it isn't that terrible. I liked the effects. Certainly colorful. And the girls did a fine job. I wasn't necessarily a fan of all the actresses before this, but they all worked for me here. Film is at its best when just them on the screen. I even liked when they got action-y at the end. I guess considering the returns, they won't get a second chance at this? Too bad.
Old 12-05-16, 10:44 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

i thought this was one of the most fun films of 2016.
Old 12-05-16, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i thought this was one of the most fun films of 2016.
Did you notice it starred four women? Because that was a huge problem for a lot of people
Old 12-05-16, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Its funny, this movie has only been out a few months and it already feels completely forgotten. Almost like it never happened.
Old 12-06-16, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I don't know about forgotten. There's still a lot of very upset "Men Going Their Own Way" (aka lonely masturbators) out there.
Old 12-06-16, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Did you notice it starred four women? Because that was a huge problem for a lot of people
Did you notice that it wasn't really that funny? Because that was a huge problem for a lot of people

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.