Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters (Feig, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Ghostbusters (Feig, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
0%
1.79%
12.50%
17.86%
17.86%
7.14%
12.50%
8.93%
1.79%
1.79%
12.50%
What are you high?
5.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Ghostbusters (Feig, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-16, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters (Feig, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Lord, what a crock of shit. So all these critics are just brimming over with bias but you are able to see through all of them with your unbiased lenses? Come on. You didn't want to like the movie, and so you're choosing to discount and invalidate people who do.

The top critics seem fairly split, some liked it, some didn't. You're giving weight to those who didn't. Why? Because of your own bias.
Wait, so if someone who ripped the trailer and criticized the production 3 months ago writes a negative review you would buy that as an unbiased review?

I don't think so.
Old 07-15-16, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
None of the bogus IMDB reviews invalidate the bad reviews we've seen that have been scathing.
Or the positive reviews by people who actually enjoyed the film, or that it's been sitting around 75% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes for days now...

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 07-15-16 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-15-16, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I gave it 3 stars. It's uneven but not horrible. For people judging the movie based on just the trailers, you won't like the movie anyway. The cameos were nice. Bill Murray had a must bigger cameo than I expected. It was also nice to see
Spoiler:
Sigourney
show up during the credits. I thought Chris did a fine job as the receptionist. I didn't think the antagonist was very good. I thought he was revealed way too soon. The running joke about the Chinese delivery guy was amusing.

There were people in the crowd at my showing laughing at pretty much every joke. They enjoyed themselves. I got what I pretty much expected, so expectations were met.

There's a short scene post credits, for those who care.
Old 07-15-16, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dan
To anyone else who saw it already,
Spoiler:
What was with Abby and Erin having white hair after going through the portal? Is this a reference to something in the movies/cartoon that I've forgotten about?.
Spoiler:
Poltergeist. Mom's hair had a white streak after going to the other side to rescue Carolanne.
Old 07-15-16, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Waiting for the inevitable "Domestic Box Office: Guess the Ghostbusters (2016) 2nd Weekend Drop" Thread.
Old 07-15-16, 02:25 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by N2DVD
Spoiler:
Poltergeist. Mom's hair had a white streak after going to the other side to rescue Carolanne.
Of course. The follow-up bit was funny.

edit: I also want to know more about your theories about the rest of the flick, but we can wait a bit longer.
Old 07-15-16, 02:27 PM

Here you go, Dan...

Now that a few have had a chance to see it, one more thing I want to add about the shared timeline idea I talked about in a previous post, and where they can go with it. MAJOR SPOILERS hidden.

Spoiler:
After saving New York, the Ghostbusters get fully funded, and move into the same firehouse that housed the original team 30 years prior. It would not be unreasonable to presume that Holtzmann could uncover some previous research hidden in the firehouse that would help them to defeat Zuul, and I assume Gozer, in a sequel.
Old 07-15-16, 02:34 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Nice! I thought you might be referring to that part; there's definitely room to tie things together there, if they're so inclined.
Old 07-15-16, 03:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Wait, so if someone who ripped the trailer and criticized the production 3 months ago writes a negative review you would buy that as an unbiased review?

I don't think so.
You expect reviewers to have zero bias, which is impossible. Even if the "top critics" didn't get into the fray, they still have opinions and preferences. Aggregators like RT and MC have their flaws, but I think they also do a decent job of showing the general trends in critical response. And in this case, the general trend is positive but it's not a blowout. Which makes sense. If the movie were really truly rotten, you'd see the general trend going in that direction, despite the attempts of a few people to bolster it for reasons beyond the content of the movie.
Old 07-15-16, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by N2DVD
Here you go, Dan...

Now that a few have had a chance to see it, one more thing I want to add about the shared timeline idea I talked about in a previous post, and where they can go with it. MAJOR SPOILERS hidden.

Spoiler:
After saving New York, the Ghostbusters get fully funded, and move into the same firehouse that housed the original team 30 years prior. It would not be unreasonable to presume that Holtzmann could uncover some previous research hidden in the firehouse that would help them to defeat Zuul, and I assume Gozer, in a sequel.
Spoiler:
Personally, would rather they keep Zuul to a minimum if they go that route. Otherwise you gotta have a Keymaster and Gatekeeper again...and we're back to the first movie. Since Zuul mentioned in the post-credit scene they are kinda stuck with doing something now.
Old 07-15-16, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

My wife and I saw it and both enjoyed it.

Kate Mckinnon steals the show.

Childhood not ruined. Carry on.
Old 07-16-16, 12:26 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I really didn't care for this at all. Barely any laughs.
Old 07-16-16, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I really the only one who wants them to avoid tying the continuities together, for any reason? I hate that idea so much.
Old 07-16-16, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

EW put a story up saying that Chris Hemsworth's big dance number (seen over the end credits) was originally in the movie and set to the Bee Gees' "You Should Be Dancing" That's a shame it got cut/moved. If there's anything that third act really missed, it was some creative humor...I'm not sure I would have liked the movie any more, but I would have liked to have seen that scene as originally intended.

Not to mention that this movie really needed a good song in it.
Old 07-16-16, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

http://deadline.com/2016/07/ghostbus...ce-1201787149/

5TH WRITETHRU, Saturday 8:30am after 1:10AM: Sony/Village Roadshow’s female Ghostbusters has slowed in its weekend estimates from some of the hyper projections we saw on Friday, now heading toward a $44.5M weekend opening after winning Friday with a $16.9M gross. Sony is projecting a weekend of $46.5M, but this is where industry estimates have it as of now.

Yes, that three-day is a record for director Paul Feig and star Melissa McCarthy (easily beating the $39.1M opening of their B.O. high The Heat), however, considering what Ghostbusters cost at $144M after rebates (and before an estimated $100M-plus global P&A), a number of rival sources consider anything in the $40M range to be a mediocre start for this reboot. Anything north of $50M is ideally safer.

“It’s not a bomb,” said one non-Sony executive today, “a bomb would be an opening in the $20M range. However, a start such as this really puts more pressure on overseas delivering.”
Looking at $46M for the weekend. Seems kind of lukewarm; with a $250M budget, I don't really see this turning a profit. I don't see the domestic take going over $100M. Not sure how it will play overseas; GB seems like a mostly American phenomenon.
Old 07-16-16, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
http://deadline.com/2016/07/ghostbus...ce-1201787149/

Looking at $46M for the weekend. Seems kind of lukewarm; with a $250M budget, I don't really see this turning a profit. I don't see the domestic take going over $100M. Not sure how it will play overseas; GB seems like a mostly American phenomenon.
The production cost of Ghostbusters was $144m, advertising budgets get estimated waaaay too high as of late (last year Deadline kept reporting Mad Max's budget in increasing increments. First it was the proper $150m, then $200m, then as the movie showed some legs, $250m). The fact this isn't being released in China has to be a little worrysome for Sony, but Korea should be a solid market for them.

This scored an A- cinemascore for the Under-25s and a B+ overall.
Old 07-16-16, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
EW put a story up saying that Chris Hemsworth's big dance number (seen over the end credits) was originally in the movie and set to the Bee Gees' "You Should Be Dancing" That's a shame it got cut/moved. If there's anything that third act really missed, it was some creative humor...I'm not sure I would have liked the movie any more, but I would have liked to have seen that scene as originally intended.

Not to mention that this movie really needed a good song in it.
Personally, I'm glad they cut it. It wasn't that great-looking during the credits.
Old 07-16-16, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went in with low expectations and this movie didn't deliver at even that level. I didn't have any huge laughs and the origin-story stuff really dragged. The continuity of the rules of the world also seemed vary widely. First a ghost is trapped though they don't have anything to do with the trap. After that, they could just lasso them with the proton packs until they were disintegrated.
Old 07-16-16, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Personally, I'm glad they cut it. It wasn't that great-looking during the credits.
Maybe, but you're also not seeing it as it was designed/intended. My point was it couldn't have hurt and perhaps would have helped. I'm sure Feig will use it as a selling point for his home video "Director's Cut" (as if Sony didn't give him final cut on this movie!).
Old 07-16-16, 10:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it was pretty darned good, better I suspect than many of the Ghostbusters III ideas would have been. It wasn't perfect but my wife and I agreed we want to see it again in IMAX.
Old 07-16-16, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by silentbob007
I went in with low expectations and this movie didn't deliver at even that level. I didn't have any huge laughs and the origin-story stuff really dragged. The continuity of the rules of the world also seemed vary widely. First a ghost is trapped though they don't have anything to do with the trap. After that, they could just lasso them with the proton packs until they were disintegrated.
That was weird in the finale...it was like they were able to "kill" ghosts with the proton packs. It didn't bother me too much, because by that point I was already hugely disappointed in the movie.

I didn't even laugh once until Chris and Leslie showed up...not that they were hilarious or anything...I just can't believe how flat and lifeless the first 30 minutes are. And the last 30 minutes are pretty humorless as well - just a bunch of F/X.

I'm perhaps most surprised at the reaction to Kate McKinnon. I love her on SNL and think she's really talented, but her performance in this film is WAY over the top. It's the kind of performance that works on stage (and, yes, on SNL), but it too 'big' for a film. A good director would have reeled that in, but I get he feeling that Feig just let everyone improv and then picked his favorite takes in the editing process. That certainly would explain the uneven and often inexplicable storyline.
Old 07-16-16, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Maybe, but you're also not seeing it as it was designed/intended. My point was it couldn't have hurt and perhaps would have helped. I'm sure Feig will use it as a selling point for his home video "Director's Cut" (as if Sony didn't give him final cut on this movie!).
So, any time a scene is edited out that's not seeing it as intended? This happens with 99% of movies.
Old 07-16-16, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Up to a 4.7 on IMDb (was at 3.8 before it opened with 15,000 votes, now at 25000 votes), and a 54% on rt audience (was at 44% the moment voting opened) lot of counterbalancing to go
Old 07-17-16, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
So, any time a scene is edited out that's not seeing it as intended? This happens with 99% of movies.
No, I meant seeing it over the end credits and set to another tune wasn't seeing it as "intended." We saw it, we didn't see it as it was intended.
Old 07-17-16, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Up to a 4.7 on IMDb (was at 3.8 before it opened with 15,000 votes, now at 25000 votes), and a 54% on rt audience (was at 44% the moment voting opened) lot of counterbalancing to go
Sony's got their interns working OT.

(just kidding...just kidding! - some of you are so touchy about this movie, I think you own Sony stock)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.