Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Bud Spencer Dies at Age 86

Old 06-27-16, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bud Spencer Dies at Age 86

Man. One of my favorite duo in spaghetti westerns has to be Bud Spencer and Terence Hill.

The actor, born Carlo Pedersoli, died Monday, his son told Italian media. Spencer often appeared in films with Terence Hill, including "God Forgives... I Don't!," "They Call Me Trinity" and others.
Italian actor and filmmaker Bud Spencer died on Monday at age 86, national media reported.

"My father died peacefully at 18:15 and did not suffer from pain, he had all of us next to him and his last words were 'Thank you'," his son and film producer Giuseppe Pedersoli said in a note to media. Pedersoli could not be immediately reached for additional comment.

A post on his official Facebook page read, "With our deepest regrets, we have to tell you that Bud is flying to his next journey".

Born Carlo Pedersoli in the southern city of Naples, he was known to his public as the "big friendly giant" of the screen due to his height and weight.

He played in action and comedy films in the 1970s and 1980s, mostly working at the side of his friend Terence Hill.

Often cast as a cowboy or policeman, his biggest successes included "They Call Me Trinity", a parody of Spaghetti Western movies, the "Flatfoot" films and "A friend is a Treasure."

He had many fans abroad, especially in South America where he lived at various times in his life, and in Germany.

Speaking to channel SKY TG24, Osvaldo De Santis, president of 20th Century Fox in Italy, said, "He was an actor whom Italian cinema needs to thank because he brought Italian movies around the world."

Before turning to acting, Spencer was a professional swimmer and the first Italian to swim the 100 metres freestyle in less than one minute. He twice participated in Olympic games.

On several occasions he said he sympathized with the country's centre/right parties and also ran for the Rome area regional elections in 2005 with Silvio Berlusconi's Forza Italia party.
Old 06-27-16, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Bud Spencer Dies at Age 86

Originally Posted by VHS? View Post

He had many fans abroad, especially in South America where he lived at various times in his life, and in Germany.
Living in Germany I noticed there are three things Germans really love: beer, soccer and Bud Spencer. He was an icon, even for the younger generation of Germans.

R.I.P.
Old 06-27-16, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Googled him and I still don't know who the fuck he is. What a loss.
Old 06-27-16, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Then you're not a fan of good shit to watch!
Old 06-28-16, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As a kid, I thought he and Paul (Bluto) Smith were the same guy.

I haven't seen a lot of his latter comedic stuff, but a lot of his spaghetti westerns (Even those that don't involve Terence Hill) are still fun films. RIP
Old 06-28-16, 02:23 AM
Suspended

May he RIP.
Old 06-28-16, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He's one of the team in THE FIVE MAN ARMY (1970), an Italian western co-directed by an American (Don Taylor) and starring Peter Graves. It may be the only Bud Spencer film I have on legit DVD, although I have three more Spencer titles on some of those Mill Creek Italian western P.D. sets.
Old 06-28-16, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
Googled him and I still don't know who the fuck he is. What a loss.
Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
Then you're not a fan of good shit to watch!
His username checks out.
Old 06-29-16, 01:18 PM

I remember seeing him in Revenge in El Paso with Terence Hill and Eli Wallach.
R.I.P.
Old 06-29-16, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rad14 View Post
I remember seeing him in Revenge in El Paso with Terence Hill and Eli Wallach.
R.I.P.
That was released in the U.S. as ACE HIGH in 1969. It was one of the first wave of Italian westerns I saw, after THE UGLY ONES, ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST and DEATH RIDES A HORSE, but before I saw any of the Eastwood trilogy, all in 1969.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 06-30-16 at 05:33 AM.
Old 06-29-16, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, so sad. Far too young to die.
Old 06-29-16, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spencer and Gary (CE3K) Guffy filmed a movie in the small, middle of nowhere Georgia town I lived in briefly as a kid.
I remember watching the filming one day that took place in a home just outside the retail/business section of the towns main street. Even though people were saying it was a sci-fi movie with special effects, all the activity I saw looked very pedestrian and boring.

It actually took me until just a few years ago to find out what the film was (the sequel to The Sheriff And The Satellite Kid). Up until then I had thought it might be The Earthling with Bill Holden And Ricky Schroeder. That was the only thing I heard of being released shortly after that seemed to fit the profile of a sci-fi movie with "some older actor you never heard of and the little kid from that recent movie"- as one of the locals described to me when I asked what the film was.
Old 06-29-16, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
As a kid, I thought he and Paul (Bluto) Smith were the same guy.

I haven't seen a lot of his latter comedic stuff, but a lot of his spaghetti westerns (Even those that don't involve Terence Hill) are still fun films. RIP
Though they started in spaghetti westerns, Hill and especially Spencer became most famous (in Europe at least) for their family friendly "beat 'em up" comedies. A bit too repetitive for my taste (they mostly used the same stunt team), but these films usually featured a cool soundtrack or a catchy song by Italian musicians Oliver Onions. Most of their stuff can be found on youtube.