Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 10 Most Disappointing Movies of 2016 So Far.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The 10 Most Disappointing Movies of 2016 So Far.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-16, 05:37 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts
Re: The 10 Most Disappointing Movies of 2016 So Far.

Apparently, my wife and I are not representative of most movie-goers, we both enjoyed Gods of Egypt and were entertained by it. Glad to have it in my collection.
Old 06-26-16, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
A disappointment requires expectation, I do not think Gods of Egypt or Dirty Grandpa had any associated expectations. Talking about Hollywood Whitewashing for GoE in this particular article seems lazy.
exactly.

Who exactly was looking forward to "Mother's Day"? Are there huge "Valentine's Day" and "New Years Eve" purists out there who thought Garry Marshall sold them out when he made "Mother's Day"? I mean haven't all of Garry Marshalls films stunk? Sheesh. I mean I assume the people who saw the first 2 films and enjoyed them probably had their expectations met with "Mothers Day".

You want a TRUE 2016 disappointment, look no further:

A sequel to a film that originally bombed, but built up a really good grass roots cult following. There was real expectation there for fans of the first. But the film just sort of fell flat.
Old 06-26-16, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I think it's stupid to call those movies "disappointing" when that is basically just one writer's opinion.

I think "disappointing" should be a combination of poor/disappointing box office as well as disappointing reviews from critics and movie-goers.

And I know Batman v. Superman got thrashed by critics and wasn't a worldwide box office smash, although it made it's money. I know I'm in the minority, but I actually liked it and I'm planning to get the 3-hour R rated cut when it hits BD next month. It wasn't great like Civil War, but it was hardly God awful trash that so many here made it out to be.
Agree with the above and I liked B v. S a lot; as did most people that voted in the poll for B v. S. There are just a few vocal ones that always spout off on it when they can.
Old 06-26-16, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Agree with the above and I liked B v. S a lot; as did most people that voted in the poll for B v. S. There are just a few vocal ones that always spout off on it when they can.
I'm not sure I would say that most people here liked it a lot - there's a lot of 3 1/2, 3, and 2 1/2 star votes on the poll, which depending on how people rate movies makes me think most people just thought the movie was ok or decent. On RT the user score is 66%, which is lower then Man of Steel's 75% as well.

I know there's a lot of folks that love it and defend the movie, but with this movie I don't think claiming that it's only a vocal minority of people that dislike it is accurate.

Last edited by fumanstan; 06-26-16 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-26-16, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Of the list, the only two I've seen were 13 Hours and X-Men Apocalypse.

13 Hours I thought was a good movie. Not groundbreaking but a good entertaining movie and a good addition to the war genre. A frequent complaint on the board was it was overly political. It actually stuck close to the source material and eyewitness accounts. It certainly touched on the politics of it because it mentions the "demonstration over the video" which never happened. I guess it wasn't bad enough for it to bother me. I just bought the BR and am looking forward to catching it again.

X-Men Apocalypse Have to agree to the "meh" on this one. It was decent enough entertainment but it seems like the story was a re-hash of the same X-Men story we've seen 100 times.

In order for something to be a disappointment you need to have unmet expectations. Since I enjoyed 13 Hours and had no expectations for X-Men I guess I haven't been disappointed yet.

Last edited by JimRochester; 06-26-16 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-26-16, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

Anyone who was actually looking forward to Mother's Day deserve to have their expectations crash and burn.
Old 06-26-16, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chadm

Who exactly was looking forward to "Mother's Day"? Are there huge "Valentine's Day" and "New Years Eve" purists out there who thought Garry Marshall sold them out when he made "Mother's Day"? I mean haven't all of Garry Marshalls films stunk? Sheesh. I mean I assume the people who saw the first 2 films and enjoyed them probably had their expectations met with "Mothers Day".
We didn't see Mother's Day but we did see the first two. I will be the first to admit they were crappy, even with my shallow taste. The one thing I can say about those two is that they are something I can see with the wife. There just are not very many things I can find that we both want to watch. She liked the first Hangover but by and large doesn't care for the R-rated comedies. She doesn't like graphic violence of the action movies. She'll watch the Marvel superhero movies sometimes if she's in the mood. There are only so many chick flicks I want to sit through and these two I actually can believe it or not.

Speaking of disappointments, Sisters was very disappointing. With that kind of talent they should have done more than just talk about their vaginas.
Old 06-26-16, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Speaking of disappointments, Sisters was very disappointing. With that kind of talent they should have done more than just talk about their vaginas.

The R-rated humor was great and John Cena was hysterical.
Old 06-26-16, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Considering how much money Alice in Wonderland (2010) made, I guess in that regard Alice Through the Looking Glass was a huge disappointment.
Old 06-26-16, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The R-rated humor was great and John Cena was hysterical.
Yeah, the guy that's not a comedian was the funniest part. There were some laughs, I was expecting it to be better considering the level of talent.
Old 06-26-16, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I think it's stupid to call those movies "disappointing" when that is basically just one writer's opinion.

I think "disappointing" should be a combination of poor/disappointing box office as well as disappointing reviews from critics and movie-goers.
A DVDTalker writes and posts an original article, and this is your criticism? Where is your article on disappointing films? Where is your support for your criticism (beyond your own opinion which are entitled to)? I'm not attacking you, just trying to figure this one out.

I suppose the title could be a little misconstrued since we are used to links to other articles rather than original ones. Even so, I applaud Sonny for writing this up (whether I agree or not). As I said, it's not often we get original content like this.
Old 06-26-16, 04:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't think OP wrote this unless his real name is "Eliza Berman".
Old 06-26-16, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
A DVDTalker writes and posts an original article, and this is your criticism? Where is your article on disappointing films? Where is your support for your criticism (beyond your own opinion which are entitled to)? I'm not attacking you, just trying to figure this one out.

I suppose the title could be a little misconstrued since we are used to links to other articles rather than original ones. Even so, I applaud Sonny for writing this up (whether I agree or not). As I said, it's not often we get original content like this.
He posted an article and that's great, but again as I said, it's one person's opinion (the writer of that article), not the overall general consensus.

The topic should probably have been called "The Most disappointing films of 2016 according to Time magazine" At least in that sense, I know it's only one person's opinion.

If the article posted box office numbers as well as possibly the movies Rotten Tomatoes scores, then maybe it would hold more credence as being the truly disappointing movies of the year so far.

and as mentioned disappointing refers to expectations beforehand and other than Batman v. Superman and maybe the new X-Men movie, none of those movies had any sort of expectations coming into their release.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-26-16 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-27-16, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He posted an article and that's great, but again as I said, it's one person's opinion (the writer of that article), not the overall general consensus.

The topic should probably have been called "The Most disappointing films of 2016 according to Time magazine" At least in that sense, I know it's only one person's opinion.

If the article posted box office numbers as well as possibly the movies Rotten Tomatoes scores, then maybe it would hold more credence as being the truly disappointing movies of the year so far.

and as mentioned disappointing refers to expectations beforehand and other than Batman v. Superman and maybe the new X-Men movie, none of those movies had any sort of expectations coming into their release.
13 Hours can be called a box office disappointment because it brought in $52M on a $50M budget. It had an 85% approval from audiences on RT and a 7.4 at IMDB so the majority of viewers certainly liked it.
Old 06-27-16, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I also thought 13 Hours was pretty good. I would love to see more things like that and Pain & Gain from him than more garbage Transformer sequels. But somehow those movies continue to make hundreds of millions of dollars, so I can't fully blame him. And besides, if he didn't do it, someone else would.

I've only seen four of those (13 Hours, Dirty Grandpa, Gods of Egypt, and The Brothers Grimsby) and I wouldn't say any of those were disappointing. For something to be disappointing you have to have high expectations to begin with

I haven't seen Batman vs. Superman or X-Men: Apocalypse yet though, and those are the only ones I could see myself being disappointed with. I really loved X-Men Days of Future Past, so I'll be bummed if Apocalypse wasn't a strong follow up to that. I haven't really heard anything great about BvS, so at least I still have time to adjust my expectations for that one
Old 06-27-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I don't think OP wrote this unless his real name is "Eliza Berman".
Then shame on Sonny for not providing proper citation!

I didn't click the link and didn't see it attributed to any author or source.

As I said, take umbrage with the thread title, not the content. Everything a critic writes about is just an opinion. Some people love certain things while others hate them. It wasn't a doctoral dissertation analyzing internet metrics, box office earnings in relation to run time, and comments from jerkoffs like us. It doesn't need to provide documentation as long as it coherently conveys the author's thoughts. The author thought those were the ten most disappointing films so far. What are your ten?
Old 06-28-16, 01:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Refn needs to make a Pusher 4 or just retire. Neon Demon is a piece of fucking amateurish garbage.
Old 06-29-16, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Never criticize a film until you've shot your own movie. Got it.
Old 06-29-16, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All he's done is jump in with troll-ish insults on every post. For someone who gets such little enjoyment from movies not sure why he would watch them?
Old 06-30-16, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't bother seeing any of those knowing they were already bad but I would personally have to say Joy was extremely disappointing given the success of Lawrence/o. Russell in Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle.
Old 06-30-16, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

While many would say The Witch was a disappointment, for me, it went from possible disappointment to unexpected pleasure. It was terribly overhyped but I liked it.

Oh and oops, looks like someone will have more time to watch "garbage" movies.