Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Hidden Life (2019, D: Terrence Malick) -- WWII film

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

A Hidden Life (2019, D: Terrence Malick) -- WWII film

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-19, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
re: A Hidden Life (2019, D: Terrence Malick) -- WWII film

Malick sure likes to take his time. 3 years is better than 20 I suppose. This is my most anticipated movie at the moment.
Old 03-20-19, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Disappointed. Thought this was the next Thor movie ...

Thor: Radegund

Old 04-18-19, 12:58 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

New title: A Hidden Life
It is currently 3 hours long. https://www.festival-cannes.com/en/i...cial-selection

Radegund was a much better titled, IMO.

James Newton Howard will score:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 04-18-19, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

So this was filmed back in 2016. A lot of time in post-production.

Michael Nyqvist and Bruno Ganz have died since filming this.

I'm looking forward to this.
Old 04-18-19, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My most aniticpated movie. However, A Hidden Life is such a shitty title. Radegund was better.
Old 05-20-19, 07:11 AM

Reviews out of Cannes: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/a_hidden_life_2019
Old 05-20-19, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: A Hidden Life (2019, D: Terrence Malick) -- WWII film

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
My most aniticpated movie. However, A Hidden Life is such a shitty title. Radegund was better.
Unfortunately, a name that people are unsure of takes a good 10%-20% off the box office. Even in the case of Terrance Malick.
Old 05-20-19, 11:04 AM

EXCLUSIVE: Terrence Malick’s Cannes Competition drama A Hidden Life has been hailed as an impressive return to form for the U.S. writer-director. Buyers immediately began circling after the film’s debut here yesterday and Fox Searchlight has come out on top for U.S and a number of international markets in a highly competitive situation.

According to sources, deal is pegged at around $12-14M and was hatched overnight with CAA Media Finance and Mister Smith. Paramount, Focus, A24, Netflix and others were among buyers hot on the trail. The deal is one of the biggest ever at a market for a movie shot in Germany.

The English and German-language film charts the moving true story of Austrian Franz Jägerstätter (played by August Diel), a conscientious objector who refused to fight for the Nazis during World War II. Matthias Schoenaerts, Michael Nyqvist, Valerie Pachner, Jurgen Prochnow, Alexander Fehling and the late Bruno Ganz also star.

A Hidden Life is Malick’s first film to play in Cannes Competition since 2011 drama The Tree Of Life and many critics are calling it his best film since that Oscar-nominee. Malick attended the premiere yesterday which was greeted by a roughly five-minute standing ovation.

Mister Smith is handling foreign sales. France, Germany and Scandinavia were among the few markets already gone. Producers are Grant Hill, Dario Bergesio and Elisabeth Bentley. The film was in post-production for almost three years as the meticulous auteur spent his time getting the movie just as he wanted.

Cannes business has been solid so far. The excellent quality of the festival lineup has helped augment business in the market, which is awash with packages. Projects such as Moonfall, Down Under Cover, Operation Mincemeat, The Climb, Les Miserables, Sorry We Missed You, Harry Haft and The Power Of The Dog are just a handful of those to have garnered serious attention from buyers.

Festival titles such as Rocketman, Pedro Almodovar’s Pain And Glory, and hard-hitting French drama Les Miserables are among those being talked about as potential awards season contenders. Robert Eggers’ The Lighthouse has also drawn raves. Palme d’Or entrants Pain And Glory and Les Miserables are likely to feature in some form come this weekend’s prize ceremony.
https://deadline.com/2019/05/terrenc...es-1202618491/
Old 05-20-19, 12:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Zero faith in Malick at this point. I'll check this out on TV sometime.
Old 05-20-19, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Les Mis AGAIN?
Jesus...
Old 05-20-19, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
What does the third Thor movie have to do with Malick’s WWII flick?
Old 06-27-19, 11:37 AM

Fox Searchlight’s first Cannes acquisition under parent Disney, Terrence Malick’s A Hidden Life, will open on Dec. 13.

The pic, which Searchlight snapped up for $12M-$14M, tells the story of Austrian farmer-turned-WWII conscientious objector Franz Jägerstätter, who refused to fight for the Nazis. The production, which cost in the high single digits, is reportedly the director’s longest production ever at three years from pre-production to final cut.

Searchlight released Malick’s Tree of Life, which starred Brad Pitt and a then fresh-face Jessica Chastain, on the heat of its Cannes Palme d’Or win in the summer of 2011 making $13.3M and ultimately notching three Oscar nominations for Best Picture, Malick as director and Emmanuel Lubezki’s DP work.

Coming out of Cannes, A Hidden Life landed a 74% fresh Rotten Tomatoes rating from 42 reviews. The pic stars August Diehl as Jägerstätter, Valerie Pachner as his wife, and the late Michael Nyqvist and Bruno Ganz. Grant Hill, Josh Jeter, Elisabeth Bentley and Dario Bergesio produce.
https://deadline.com/2019/06/terrenc...se-1202638863/
Old 08-13-19, 01:20 PM

<iframe width="697" height="392" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qJXmdY4lVR0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Based on real events, from visionary writer-director Terrence Malick, A HIDDEN LIFE is the story of an unsung hero, Franz Jägerstätter, who refused to fight for the Nazis in World War II. When the Austrian peasant farmer is faced with the threat of execution for treason, it is his unwavering faith and his love for his wife Fani and children that keeps his spirit alive.

In Theaters December 13, 2019

Directed by: Terrence Malick

Written by: Terrence Malick

Produced by: Grant Hill, p.g.a., Dario Bergesio, Josh Jeter, Elisabeth Bentley, Marcus Loges

Cast: August Diehl, Valerie Pachner, Maria Simon, Tobias Moretti, Bruno Ganz, Matthias Schoenaerts, Karin Neuhäuser, Ulrich Matthes
Old 08-13-19, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Looks good.
Old 08-13-19, 02:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This should be good, very timely as well.
Old 08-13-19, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
This should be good, very timely as well.
I was thinking the same thing.
The last Malick movie that I liked was also a WWII film so I’ve got high hopes...
Old 08-13-19, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

I was thinking the same thing.
The last Malick movie that I liked was also a WWII film so I’ve got high hopes...
TTRL is a masterpiece.
Would love to see a 4K released.
Old 12-21-19, 06:08 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Damn good.
Maybe could have been tightened up a bit, but Malick captures the human moments and moral struggle incredibly well.
Far from his best work, I guess, but infinitely better than the last few.
I'm looking forward to giving it another watch.
Old 12-21-19, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

This felt plot heavy compared to his last couple. I love Malick and I'm all about film as art but you need to have some narrative purpose to connect to characters. Comes close here to the right balance but there's still too much characters at play in fields; we get it, it's Eden despoiled. Almost a shame Malick came back to final cut, because if he had a studio at his neck with tight scripts he'd probably be churning out masterworks but I understand that is not want he wants or is about.
Old 01-04-20, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts

Saw this today. Good movie, very beautifully filmed. Hope it gets an Oscar nom for cinematography. Well acted, and didn't feel like it had a 3 hr runtime.
Old 01-09-20, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I found this film to be equally beautiful and heartbreaking. For me its my favorite Malick since Thin Red Line. All of the complaints the film received were unwarranted to my eyes. I felt every frame that was put in front of me. Each frame had a purpose that served the grander vision Malick put forth. It isn't edge of your seat entertainment like Knives Out. It is a film you let wash over you. You experience it in your gut. Another thing people ragged on, the lack of subtitles. I thought it was a stroke of absolute genius. English for most of the film and then German without subtitles. In every instance that German was spoken, subtitles were COMPLETELY unnecessary. The body language, the passion of the actors and the truth of the situation told you everything you needed to know in the moment. I couldn't understand the dialogue, yet I knew EXACTLY what was being said. It gave the scenes so much more power and feeling. I'm really disappointed this didn't get a wider release. And to a lesser extent the fact that it will seemingly get no award recognition.

Also, my disappointment at the title being changed from Radegund to A Hidden Life, was quickly eradicated when that quote was put up on the screen at the end. Perfect.

This is running neck and neck with OUATIH as my years favorite film. An absolutely breathtaking piece of cinema.
Old 01-09-20, 05:30 AM

I had a ticket booked for this during Christmas week, but it was canceled by the theatre and not shown there. I just found out that it started playing at a theatre about 45 minutes from me last weekend. I wish I had known then because there really wasn't anything out last week. Now it is only down to one screening time this weekend. I'm going to have to try and get there for Saturday.
Old 01-09-20, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Saw this today. Good movie, very beautifully filmed. Hope it gets an Oscar nom for cinematography. Well acted, and didn't feel like it had a 3 hr runtime.
This played in my area and I skipped it almost solely based on the three-hour runtime. Not that I'm opposed to three-hour movies, but I figured it would be a SLOW three hours, like Tree of Life (which seems like a 6-hour film )
Old 01-09-20, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

I thought this was a devastatingly beautiful film (both physically and emotionally), but I gotta say, I felt just about every one of those 170+ minutes. Maybe it's my fault for going to a 9:30pm show, but I just didn't think there was enough there to engage with for 3 whole hours. After the first hour or so, the movie doesn't really have much left to say. There's never any real ambiguity about Franz's decision, so you kind of just spend the next two hours waiting for things to arrive at its inevitable conclusion.

I loved Tree of Life (and everything that came before it), so I'm pretty agreeable to Malick's style, but this just felt extended for no real reason. I'm glad I saw this, and I'm glad I saw it in a theater so I couldn't turn it off, but I can't help but be a little disappointed.
Old 09-11-20, 07:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

This is now up on HBO. I’ll try and spare 3 hours this weekend and give it a look.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.