Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anton Yelchin dead at age 27 (Star Trek, Terminator, Charlie Bartlett)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Anton Yelchin dead at age 27 (Star Trek, Terminator, Charlie Bartlett)

Old 06-19-16, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Anton Yelchin dead at age 27 (Star Trek, Terminator, Charlie Bartlett)

I've had some crazy calls and crashes during my 22 years in law enforcement but I've never heard of anything like how he was killed. That is insane. So sad....what a horrible situation.
Old 06-19-16, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So sad, my grandmother died in an accident like this. She parked her car in the driveway and was getting groceries out the trunk. Either she didn't have it completely in park or the brake malfunctioned and the car rolled back on her, rolled across the street half way up another steep driveway and rolled back on her a 2nd time.
Old 06-19-16, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Every time someone in the entertainment industry, no matter how unfamous, dies, we get a thread.

Usually I think "too bad but who cares."

This is a real shame.
Old 06-19-16, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 06-19-16, 04:48 PM

^^^ Loved that film.
Old 06-19-16, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sad news. RIP

Enjoyed his work in The Green Room and Odd Thomas

Note to actors: If you've ever made a movie with Justin Lin -- stay away from cars!

Last edited by Perkinsun Dzees; 06-19-16 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-19-16, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Check out Rudderless. That was the last movie I saw with him. It was pretty good.

His accent on Star Trek seemed forced and unnatural but he has been good in almost every other movie he has done.

Old 06-19-16, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm one of the few who liked Terminator Salvation. I liked him in it.
Old 06-19-16, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He also turned in a great performance in an episode of "Criminal Minds".

Looking at his filmography, the guy had done a ton of work over the course of 16 years.
Old 06-19-16, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Check out Rudderless. That was the last movie I saw with him. It was pretty good.

His accent on Star Trek seemed forced and unnatural but he has been good in almost every other movie he has done.
The interesting thing is that, apparently, he was born in Russia. Both he and Walter Koenig had parents who were native Russian speakers, and both of them received criticism for their, "Bad," Russian accents.
Old 06-19-16, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What a sad, senseless tragedy. I wish I could offer up a comment of depth or insight on the cruelty and unfairness of the world, but I can't other than to say that that this is a sad situation, and thank him for the good things he gave us in his short life. He will be missed. God, he was younger than I am. The world is a sad, unfair place.
Old 06-19-16, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow. I really enjoyed him in Star Trek.
Old 06-19-16, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

When i heard how he was killed i expected to hear that a child had fucked with the gearshift by accident or something similar. I remember as a toddler putting a car into gear and having it roll backwards down a driveway. Luckily my older brother was in the back seat and jumped forward to stop the car. Looking back i could have easily killed someone had they been behind us.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-20-16 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-19-16, 09:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

i liked him in everything. he was such a fine young actor. enjoyed Fright Night that much more because of him.
Old 06-20-16, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A defective gearshift?

Agency opens engineering analysis into Jeep, Dodge and Chrysler shifter design

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) expanded its investigation into E-shift gear shifters in a number of Fiat Chrysler vehicles. Specifically, the agency is looking into reports that vehicles may roll away after drivers exit the vehicle, thinking that they had put the transmission into Park. NHTSA has collected 314 complaints linked to these transmissions, including 121 reports of crashes and 30 injuries.

The agency first noted the issue in August 2015, though it did not lead to a full-fledged recall. Instead, NHTSA started an investigation, which this week has been upgraded to an engineering analysis since the issue is one of design rather than defect.

NHTSA believes that "the Monostable shifter is not intuitive and provides poor tactile and visual feedback to the driver, increasing the potential for unintended gear selection"

"If the driverís door is opened when the gearshift is not in Park, a chime sounds and a message is displayed on the EVIC to warn the driver," the NHTSA states in a Summary of the Engineering Analysis. "In addition, the engine Start/Stop push-button control logic does not permit normal engine shut-off when the transmission is not in Park. This logic may provide feedback to drivers who attempt to turn the engine off when the transmission is not in Park. However, this function does not protect drivers who intentionally leave the engine running or drivers who do not recognize that the engine continues to run after an attempted shut-off."

Jeep 2016 Super Bowl ad Portraits and 4X4 American roots
SUPER BOWL COMMERCIALS Jeep reminds us of its 4x4's patriotic roots in Super Bowl ad
Jeep bought two ads during the 2016 Super Bowl on Sunday night. The first was called "Portraits" and the second was "4x4." "Portraits" features the famous and ...
The engineering analysis involves 2014 and 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokees, as well as 2012-14 Dodge Chargers and Chrysler 300 sedans equipped with the 3.6-liter engine.

In the agency's investigation, the Grand Cherokee from those two models years is cited in the bulk of the crash and injury reports.

"Twenty-eight of the crashes reportedly caused injuries, including 3 with a fractured pelvis and 4 others requiring some degree of hospitalization (a ruptured bladder, fractured kneecap, broken ribs, damage to right leg)," NHTSA states. "Other injuries include reports of a broken nose, facial lacerations requiring stitches, sprained knees, severe bruising, and trauma to legs."

The agency points out that FCA changed the shifter design for the 2015 model year, as well as in the 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokees which are now on sale.

What does this mean for vehicles that have already been sold? NHTSA has not announced a recall (which would concern well over 100,000 vehicles), though it appears that this issue may only be addressed via a hardware retrofit or the creation of additional warning chimes via a software update. The latter option may be what FCA and the NHTSA are currently discussing.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/recalls/...#ixzz4C5uDN2Pd
Old 06-20-16, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Very sad to hear about this yesterday. Loved him in Huff.
Old 06-20-16, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Very sad news. Only child, on Father's Day and another member of the 27 club.
Old 06-20-16, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mike45 View Post
A defective gearshift?

Agency opens engineering analysis into Jeep, Dodge and Chrysler shifter design

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) expanded its investigation into E-shift gear shifters in a number of Fiat Chrysler vehicles. Specifically, the agency is looking into reports that vehicles may roll away after drivers exit the vehicle, thinking that they had put the transmission into Park. NHTSA has collected 314 complaints linked to these transmissions, including 121 reports of crashes and 30 injuries.

The agency first noted the issue in August 2015, though it did not lead to a full-fledged recall. Instead, NHTSA started an investigation, which this week has been upgraded to an engineering analysis since the issue is one of design rather than defect.

NHTSA believes that "the Monostable shifter is not intuitive and provides poor tactile and visual feedback to the driver, increasing the potential for unintended gear selection"

"If the driver’s door is opened when the gearshift is not in Park, a chime sounds and a message is displayed on the EVIC to warn the driver," the NHTSA states in a Summary of the Engineering Analysis. "In addition, the engine Start/Stop push-button control logic does not permit normal engine shut-off when the transmission is not in Park. This logic may provide feedback to drivers who attempt to turn the engine off when the transmission is not in Park. However, this function does not protect drivers who intentionally leave the engine running or drivers who do not recognize that the engine continues to run after an attempted shut-off."

Jeep 2016 Super Bowl ad Portraits and 4X4 American roots
SUPER BOWL COMMERCIALS Jeep reminds us of its 4x4's patriotic roots in Super Bowl ad
Jeep bought two ads during the 2016 Super Bowl on Sunday night. The first was called "Portraits" and the second was "4x4." "Portraits" features the famous and ...
The engineering analysis involves 2014 and 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokees, as well as 2012-14 Dodge Chargers and Chrysler 300 sedans equipped with the 3.6-liter engine.

In the agency's investigation, the Grand Cherokee from those two models years is cited in the bulk of the crash and injury reports.

"Twenty-eight of the crashes reportedly caused injuries, including 3 with a fractured pelvis and 4 others requiring some degree of hospitalization (a ruptured bladder, fractured kneecap, broken ribs, damage to right leg)," NHTSA states. "Other injuries include reports of a broken nose, facial lacerations requiring stitches, sprained knees, severe bruising, and trauma to legs."

The agency points out that FCA changed the shifter design for the 2015 model year, as well as in the 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokees which are now on sale.

What does this mean for vehicles that have already been sold? NHTSA has not announced a recall (which would concern well over 100,000 vehicles), though it appears that this issue may only be addressed via a hardware retrofit or the creation of additional warning chimes via a software update. The latter option may be what FCA and the NHTSA are currently discussing.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/recalls/...#ixzz4C5uDN2Pd
He was driving a 2016 Jeep, which as above, is a different design.
Old 06-20-16, 08:11 AM

Shocking and sad. Yes, his name wouldn't have made headlines if he was a "civilian", but it still probably would've made the news on morning shows and what not. I really liked this kid. He could act, or at least picked a lot of fun roles. Didn't know he was only 27; he's been in a ton of movies.
Old 06-20-16, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brack View Post
Shocking and sad. Yes, his name wouldn't have made headlines if he was a "civilian", but it still probably would've made the news on morning shows and what not. I really liked this kid. He could act, or at least picked a lot of fun roles. Didn't know he was only 27; he's been in a ton of movies.
It would have made local news, stuff like this happens a lot more than you'd think.
Old 06-20-16, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
When i heard how he was killed i expected to hear that a child had fucked with the gearshift by accident or something similar. I remember as a toddler putting a car into gear and having it roll backwards down a driveway. Luckily my older brother was in the back seat and jumped forward to stop the car. Looking back i could have easily killed somone had they been behind us.
I did the same thing as a kid. Fortunately, no one behind us, either. Made me afraid of cars for quite some time.
Old 06-20-16, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
He was driving a 2016 Jeep, which as above, is a different design.
This article says it was a 2015 Grand Cherokee.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/anton-ye...le-police-say/
Old 06-20-16, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
It would have made local news, stuff like this happens a lot more than you'd think.
Then why would it have made news? Things that happen often aren't newsworthy.
Old 06-20-16, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That had to be a rough way to go, pinned like that and dying alone. A young actor with a lot of promise and gone too soon.
Old 06-20-16, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
This article says it was a 2015 Grand Cherokee.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/anton-ye...le-police-say/
Ok, I had read another article that said it was a 2016.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.