Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Old 06-21-16, 10:50 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Was Raging Bull panned during its release? I thought it was nominated for Best Picture.
The brew of violence and anger, combined with the lack of a proper advertising campaign, led to the film's lukewarm box office intake of only $23 million, when compared to its $18 million budget. It only earned $10.1 million in theatrical rentals (about $27 million in 2013 dollars). Scorsese became concerned for his future career and worried that producers and studios might refuse to finance his films. According to Box Office Mojo, the film grossed $23,383,987 in domestic theaters.
It was met with very lukewarm feelings. It wasn't until the end of the decade when almost everyone dug WAY back and named it the best film of the '80s
Old 06-21-16, 10:51 PM
Banned

BTW, has the film been rated yet? I'm surprised it would be in front of Finding Dory. In fact I almost don't believe that. That's going to give some kids some nightmares.
Old 06-21-16, 10:56 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
BTW, has the film been rated yet? I'm surprised it would be in front of Finding Dory. In fact I almost don't believe that. That's going to give some kids some nightmares.
hey - I'm just reporting what I saw ... yes it was a rather bizarre inclusion for a film geared to kids (and quite a few under 6 year olds at a 7pm screening).
Old 06-21-16, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

It was met with very lukewarm feelings. It wasn't until the end of the decade when almost everyone dug WAY back and named it the best film of the '80s
That's crazy, I've always felt like it's best film. And nobody really talks about Ordinary People anymore.
Old 06-22-16, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
hey - I'm just reporting what I saw ... yes it was a rather bizarre inclusion for a film geared to kids (and quite a few under 6 year olds at a 7pm screening).

It played in front of Angry Birds a couple weeks ago.
Old 06-22-16, 12:52 AM
Banned

nobody really talks about Ordinary People anymore.
No shit. That's the way of things.
Old 06-22-16, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

These Ghostbuster filmmakers seem supremely insecure.
I disagree. And the situation you cite is different, because people were apparently panning The King of Comedy AFTER it was released. So that movie at least had a chance until it was released. The New Ghostbusters isn't even out yet and it's already associated with negativity ie "most disliked trailer in YouTube history".

There's a lot of money invested in this film, and careers are on the line. Sometimes perception is reality, especially when it comes to consumers and marketing. The producers here don't want to appear passive and allow the critics to define the image of this movie, so they're going on the offensive. I myself and am put off by it, but I see why, from a marketing standpoint, they are doing this.
Old 06-22-16, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Was Raging Bull panned during its release? I thought it was nominated for Best Picture.
It received EIGHT Oscar noms. Not only Best Picture but Director, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor. I remember it was a big deal when it came out.
Old 06-22-16, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
It received EIGHT Oscar noms. Not only Best Picture but Director, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor. I remember it was a big deal when it came out.
There were fewer major review outlets back then, the New York Daily News and Variety slammed it for being about a character they didn't want to know. Roger Ebert and many other critics gave it rave reviews
Old 06-22-16, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
the trailer I saw before 'Finding Dory' tonight - was completely new which had scenes that I personally thought were far funnier than what was shown in the first one - Sony must have fired their in-house trailer editing team in order to do this one.
Had you seen all the trailers released so far? This new one was actually funny and better than the ones you had seen?
Old 06-22-16, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jjcool
Had you seen all the trailers released so far? This new one was actually funny and better than the ones you had seen?
It was better than the previous trailers. At least that was my first thought.
Old 06-22-16, 11:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by brayzie
I disagree. And the situation you cite is different, because people were apparently panning The King of Comedy AFTER it was released. So that movie at least had a chance until it was released. The New Ghostbusters isn't even out yet and it's already associated with negativity ie "most disliked trailer in YouTube history".

There's a lot of money invested in this film, and careers are on the line. Sometimes perception is reality, especially when it comes to consumers and marketing. The producers here don't want to appear passive and allow the critics to define the image of this movie, so they're going on the offensive. I myself and am put off by it, but I see why, from a marketing standpoint, they are doing this.
I think my comparison stands. The criticism by major entertainment outlets led to King of Comedy never opening widely. Films were distributed differently back then.
Old 06-22-16, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm almost certain there isn't a new trailer, he likely just saw the 2nd trailer for the first time.

If my assumption is correct I'd point out that there was an almost-unanimous consensus that it was an improvement over the first trailer. I don't know why you're grilling him.

Of course, almost all the "critics" doubled down and refused to admit it was anything but as-bad or worse.
Old 06-22-16, 12:09 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Old 06-22-16, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TomOpus
It was better than the previous trailers. At least that was my first thought.
Well that is at least a step in the right direction.
Old 06-22-16, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
I'm almost certain there isn't a new trailer, he likely just saw the 2nd trailer for the first time.

If my assumption is correct I'd point out that there was an almost-unanimous consensus that it was an improvement over the first trailer. I don't know why you're grilling him.

Of course, almost all the "critics" doubled down and refused to admit it was anything but as-bad or worse.
That's why I asked. Since the first two trailers were pretty unanimously panned as being terrible, I was curious what he thought of the new one that he saw. Not sure how that rises to the level of "grilling" but whatever.
And still not sure why you can't seem to grasp the fact that people just think the movie looks terrible.

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Yes it is. And still not sure why the mods refuse to do anything about it.
Old 06-22-16, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Google "2nd Ghostbusters trailer" and read the news article. The first two that come up say it's an improvement. People here thought it was better. Even on Reddit and IMDB people thought it was better. You were literally just replying to someone who thought it was better.
Old 06-22-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It felt a lot shorter than the previous trailers. It didn't seem to rehash scenes from other trailers. I felt like I saw new stuff.

Or maybe the heat made me delirious
Old 06-22-16, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nah, you weren't delirious. You just saw the 2nd trailer that was widely seen to be an improvement.

Still, would you be willing to submit to a polygraph test to prove that you did, in fact, view and enjoy the trailer?
Old 06-22-16, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Google "2nd Ghostbusters trailer" and read the news article. The first two that come up say it's an improvement. People here thought it was better. Even on Reddit and IMDB people thought it was better. You were literally just replying to someone who thought it was better.
You speak for others and say that "people thought it was better", and that is most likely true. The problem is that there are also alot of people that thought both trailers were terrible.
The person I replied to stated that "this trailer was better than the previous trailers." So, according to him we were discussing at least a third trailer. I haven't seen this third trailer, but I have seen the two terrible ones, and I guess you could say that the second one was slightle less terrible if you really wanted to. But they were both pretty shitty in my opinion.
Old 06-22-16, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are two trailers with two international variants. Your response confirms what I said about you grilling him. God forbid he like one trailer more than the other like a lot of people did.
Old 06-22-16, 01:23 PM
RIP

There are two trailers with two international variants. Your response confirms what I said about you grilling him. God forbid he like one trailer more than the other like a lot of people did.
You are reading waaaaay more into this than what he actually asked.
Old 06-22-16, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How else could you read it? It was a pretty loaded response:

Dude said he'd seen the first one and had recently seen the second. To even question whether he'd done is due diligence and seen all the trailers is absurd to the extreme and wouldn't be asked for any other trailer. Then he gets into this incredulous and condescending "really?" tone that also questions a point that he made absolutely crystal-fucking-clear.
Old 06-22-16, 01:40 PM
RIP

He thought he was referring to a third trailer. That's all. Good grief.
Old 06-22-16, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Wait, why was my previous post deleted? I didn't make any sexist jokes or comments. Other posters were making "go fuck yourself" comments which I also avoided. Are only positive comments regarding this movie allowed now? I was under the impression this was a movie discussion board; I was discussing the movie without attacking any person or group of people and yet my comments were deleted along with all the "go fuck yourself" comments? WTH?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.