Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Old 06-20-16, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Originally Posted by PatD
All the ladies needed in that video was to brandish "Male Tears" mugs and flip the bird while doing their rendition. This is the strangest marketing for a movie I've ever seen.
Yeah. I guess the thing to me that I've said this entire time is firing shots back at the haters to me doesn't help at all. It makes the cast and crew look immature and unprofessional and not really any better than the haters. That's honestly a lot of the reason why I've taken more of a stance against the film (aside from it looking bad) is that they want to act like they're empowering women with this girl power message yet can't rise against being better than people who are shitting on their film. The whole thing has just rubbed me the wrong way and feels like they've just been more about pushing an agenda rather than focusing on making a good film.
Old 06-21-16, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah. I guess the thing to me that I've said this entire time is firing shots back at the haters to me doesn't help at all. It makes the cast and crew look immature and unprofessional and not really any better than the haters. That's honestly a lot of the reason why I've taken more of a stance against the film (aside from it looking bad) is that they want to act like they're empowering women with this girl power message yet can't rise against being better than people who are shitting on their film. The whole thing has just rubbed me the wrong way and feels like they've just been more about pushing an agenda rather than focusing on making a good film.
This ... To a larger degree, it also diminishes the film by seemingly acknowledging the body of work cannot stand on its own.

I cannot think of any artistic endeavor that I enjoyed when its pre-publicity ignored the product altogether and focused on the ego/odd behavior of the artist(s).

I will wait for the word of mouth on this. If it is decent, I'll wait a few weeks so the studio gets less of the cut. If it is bad, I'll wait for a free Redbox code.
Old 06-21-16, 10:41 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Here's a weird one. Paul Feig apparently did this recent appearance/press conference where he asked the female stars to use him as a door mat and step on his balls for a photo op. Utterly bizarre. There's no way the finished film can be anywhere near as entertaining as watching its marketing.
Makes me wonder if Paul is a "foot guy" and this was just a ruse so he could get these chicks' feet on his junk.
Old 06-21-16, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Something tells me Paul isn't in to "chicks" feet.
Old 06-21-16, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,649 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Does Sony honestly think alienating the largest part of the audience that has kept Ghostbusters alive for more than 30 years is going to work?
Are you saying this about men in general? Men in general don't have a problem with female Ghostbusters. These reactions from the cast and crew are directed toward the misogynistic reaction to the movie from men on the Internet.
Old 06-21-16, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts

You know what my opinion is. We have had two threads closed because of it. I will not say anything else to avoid the suspension.
Old 06-21-16, 01:17 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Old 06-21-16, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
Makes me wonder if Paul is a "foot guy" and this was just a ruse so he could get these chicks' feet on his junk.
That the phot op was a ruse? Or the whole process of making the movie?
Old 06-21-16, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I never mind when a celebrity directly addresses the complainers. I like the honest reaction and calling out those making silly and dumb remarks.

I still think the movie looks bad, but don't blame Feig or the cast for responding.
Old 06-21-16, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Yeah, clearly they believe in what they're doing even if many of you don't. I don't blame them for fighting back one bit.
Old 06-21-16, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

If folks want to blame someone for the state of the Ghostbusters feanchise, they should probably blame Bill Murray. Seems like he's the one who's been dumping poison into the chalice for twenty-five years.
Old 06-21-16, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I remember some people here saying they want the original cast back, and not Seth Rogen or Jonah Hill or whomever was being courted at the time.
Too bad they couldn't get Rob Schneider, Pauly Shore, Carrot Top & Sinbad, now there's a cast of comic genius.
Old 06-21-16, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

What if the stars of the movie hated working on the project and didn't get along with each other?

Last edited by dex14; 06-22-16 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-21-16, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
What if the stars of the movie hated working on the project and didn't get along with each other?
Is there any evidence of this? Plus, co-stars who hate each other have still made some pretty good movies, as have actors who thought they were making shitty movies.
Old 06-21-16, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Is there any evidence of this? Plus, co-stars who hate each other have still made some pretty good movies, as have actors who thought they were making shitty movies.
Spoiler:

Is the internet acting bizarrely and embracing hyperbole? Of course. Paul Feig didn't even want to do this movie, he was courted by Sony, and now that there's some backlash he's reacting out of insecurity. The director of a big budget movie making rude comments and sweeping generalizations about critical viewers is a strange and scary precedent I can't get behind. And who the fuck didn't like Mad Max Fury Road? It was probably the most popular film of 2015 on this forum, and Furiosa was the best part. People are just making shit up now.

Last edited by DaveyJoe; 06-21-16 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-21-16, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,649 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Spoiler:

Is the internet acting bizarrely and embracing hyperbole? Of course. Paul Feig didn't even want to do this movie, he was courted by Sony, and now that there's some backlash he's reacting out of insecurity. The director of a big budget movie making rude comments and sweeping generalizations about critical viewers is a strange and scary precedent I can't get behind. And who the fuck didn't like Mad Max Fury Road? It was probably the most popular film of 2015 on this forum, and Furiosa was the best part. People are just making shit up now.
Plenty of discussion out there from MRAs and their brethern over Furiosa when that movie was coming out.

Last edited by dex14; 06-21-16 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-21-16, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is completely unsubstantiated gossip. It's not from the Sony leak. It's not from the guy who posted the fully-confirmed plot leak on Reddit. It came from a completely anonymous source and naturally the haters took it and ran with it.

As for the sexism/misogyny? My thoughts on the matter are completely documented here. You may think sexism and misogyny are great. You're entitled to that opinion. You're not entitled to the belief that those aren't substantial components of the backlash. If you spent 2 minutes looking at this thread or the IMDB board or Twitter or the Ghostbusters Reddit and you still think the media or the studio is orchestrating this smear campaign making all the fans look like socially-inept woman-hating weirdos then I don't know what to tell you. Wait, yes I do: start pointing your fingers at the countless assholes online, they're the ones making you look bad. Regardless of where you fall in the Great Lady Ghostbusters Crisis of 2016 you literally cannot deny that there are a lot of people who are upset that women are playing Ghosbusters.
Old 06-21-16, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Ghostbusters is one of my favorite films, and I have no real interest in seeing this....not because of the female angle, but because the humor I see in the trailers just isn't my kind of humor (I'm tough on comedies in general). As far as this particular cast goes...

McKinnon I think is funny on SNL, but I'm not sure how I'll like her for 2 hours.
McCarthy....sometimes funny, sometimes annoying
Jones...not funny
Wiig...good in small doses.

If it were 4 actresses i really liked, I'd be more inclined to see it. As it is, I'll maybe check it out on HBO or Netflix sometime down the road.
Old 06-21-16, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

We *all* need to cool it. Really.

That said: this might turn out to be the most controversial film since The Last Temptation of Christ (let that sink in). That was a film that was *actively* blocked from mainstream release by its detractors. And Martin Scorsese didn't go on talk shows going "nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah" to said detractors.

Ghostbusters (2016)
is not being banned in any theater. Anyone who wants to see it, can see it when its released. Any vocal group that doesn't like the movie cannot stop it. Anyone who doesn't want to see it doesn't have to. And it will probably make a good deal of money--at first. It will be a cause--and Sony is counting on it.

I personally think it looks like crap, and this whole controversy is pathetic. It's a nontroversy. I can't believe it's stirred up this level of animosity.

Last edited by PatD; 06-21-16 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-21-16, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
This is completely unsubstantiated gossip. It's not from the Sony leak. It's not from the guy who posted the fully-confirmed plot leak on Reddit. It came from a completely anonymous source and naturally the haters took it and ran with it.
We know Melissa McCarthy didn't like the trailer and even complained about it but "everyone said 'we don't care what you think.'" So it's easy to believe there were more disagreements and tensions during filming. The more we learn, the more this seems like a movie made by people who weren't very passionate about it.

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
As for the sexism/misogyny? My thoughts on the matter are completely documented here. You may think sexism and misogyny are great. You're entitled to that opinion. You're not entitled to the belief that those aren't substantial components of the backlash. If you spent 2 minutes looking at this thread or the IMDB board or Twitter or the Ghostbusters Reddit and you still think the media or the studio is orchestrating this smear campaign making all the fans look like socially-inept woman-hating weirdos then I don't know what to tell you. Wait, yes I do: start pointing your fingers at the countless assholes online, they're the ones making you look bad. Regardless of where you fall in the Great Lady Ghostbusters Crisis of 2016 you literally cannot deny that there are a lot of people who are upset that women are playing Ghosbusters.
I'm not pointing my fingers at anybody. I don't care how people feel as long as they're respectful to each other. Blatantly sexist statements like the one above are so ludicrous, that they are easily ignored. What's the point engaging people like that? Just move on. It's absurd that a summer comedy has inspired so much rudeness and negativity among the posters here. I'll always have the original two movies. Do I think the trailers for this look good? Not really, but I'm not going to launch a campaign against it. Do I agree with sexism or misogyny? Of course not, but yelling at sexist people on the internet won't accomplish anything. There are too many awesome videos of cats on the net to be wasting my time with such negativity.

Last edited by DaveyJoe; 06-21-16 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-21-16, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Looks like some posts were removed. But anyway, whoever posted that Midnight's Edge video about Ghostbusters...sucked me into watching their videos on Fantastic Four and Spider-Man...pretty cool channel.
Old 06-21-16, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

New Progressive commercial which features a Ghostbuster!

Old 06-21-16, 10:39 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
We *all* need to cool it. Really.

That said: this might turn out to be the most controversial film since The Last Temptation of Christ (let that sink in). That was a film that was *actively* blocked from mainstream release by its detractors. And Martin Scorsese didn't go on talk shows going "nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah" to said detractors.

Ghostbusters (2016)
is not being banned in any theater. Anyone who wants to see it, can see it when its released. Any vocal group that doesn't like the movie cannot stop it. Anyone who doesn't want to see it doesn't have to. And it will probably make a good deal of money--at first. It will be a cause--and Sony is counting on it.

I personally think it looks like crap, and this whole controversy is pathetic. It's a nontroversy. I can't believe it's stirred up this level of animosity.
I was thinking about Scorsese too. I was reminded of a story he tells:

He was getting ready to go out for New Years Eve 1982/1983 and he was watching Entertainment Tonight. They did a story on the "The Worst Movie of the Year" and the hosts spent a whole bunch of time cutting up about how aweful The King of Comedy was and how it was without a doubt the worst movie of the year. And he said to himself, "If they say it's the worst movie of the year then I guess it is. When words like that are thrown around by someone like Entertainment Tonight then I guess it is the worst movie of the year. Nothing I can say will stop that." (I'm paraphrasing. If someone can find the real quote I would appreciate it. It's on the DVD.)

And 10-15 years later everyone started loving the film. Just like Raging Bull it took time to catch on; it took time for people to catch up to the film. Should Scorsese have been juvenile and called the critics losers? Should he have fired back and said it's them that were wrong? Of course not. He had confidence in his work, and history has vindicated him. These Ghostbuster filmmakers seem supremely insecure.

Last edited by Mabuse; 06-21-16 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-21-16, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was Raging Bull panned during its release? I thought it was nominated for Best Picture.
Old 06-21-16, 10:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

the trailer I saw before 'Finding Dory' tonight - was completely new which had scenes that I personally thought were far funnier than what was shown in the first one - Sony must have fired their in-house trailer editing team in order to do this one.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.