Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Old 08-18-16, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Isn't this the same forum that bitches incessantly when any superhero movie features (or re-features) the character's origin?

Man of Steel, Batman Begins, Captain America, Ant-Man, Spider-Man, Amazing Spider-Man, Iron Man, Green Lantern, etc. and such as, all feature training, mentoring, or your basic "get to learn, control, and use your powers" sequences.

Even Neo in The Matrix spent most of the second act being trained and mentored by Morpheus and Trinity.

Honestly, this is a serious non-issue.
Old 08-18-16, 09:34 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Name some training montages featuring a female character. I'm not saying there aren't any, I'm just saying I'm not thinking of any. I don't recall seeing Furiosa take her driver's education test. That lengthy segment of Ripley studying to gain her end loader' license, I missed it.
You're watching the wrong movies:

Old 08-18-16, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I chimed in, but I have to agree with Hokeyboy. Those making the argument are failing to understand the need for a narrative device simply just so they can try to perpetuate perceived sexism. For example, Brayzie cites Leon (The Professional) complaining that Leon (a grown man) is already a trained killer, but Matilda (a child) must be trained. Leon's training is not a part of the story or the growth of either character. Matilda's is. Do a gender reversed version and the story is still the same.

Honestly, the "us vs. them" mentality and the tilting at windmills has gotten out of hand and replaced political correctness in modern society.
Old 08-18-16, 09:59 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,182 Likes on 835 Posts

Yeah, I'm not even seeing the training argument either. Maybe we need a ton of examples showing how these types of scenes are trending one way or the other or something? The few here just seem like movies where training was a core part of the story.

Either way, I think a movie where the original remaining Ghostbusters (Ray & Winston, since Peter wouldn't have been a part of that film) train a new team in some sort of montage would have been kind of silly in a bad way, but that's just me.
Old 08-18-16, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm actually with you Dan. I'm not a big fan of "passing the torch" when it is a lazy storytelling mechanism to show the transition from one set of characters to another. I typically don't want to see the "old originals" unless it is an organic part of the story. I didn't want the originals back in new Star Wars movies, but I felt The Force Awakens did a good job of using them as part of the story rather than shoe-horning them in simply for the sake of nostalgia.

That said, I would have liked to see the new GB be in continuity with the original. You don't need the originals in their original roles to do that. They could reference the coverup of the incident in 1984 through the mayor's office (as I mentioned before) or have it as a topic covered in their book. Or they could have discovered the old GB tech (eBay, flea market, government surplus/unclaimed property sale) and then improved upon it. (Oh yeah, can't do that because then BOYS - probably with cooties - would have been the reason women are empowered. )
Old 08-18-16, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dan
Either way, I think a movie where the original remaining Ghostbusters (Ray & Winston, since Peter wouldn't have been a part of that film) train a new team in some sort of montage would have been kind of silly in a bad way, but that's just me.
I always liked that the Ghostbusters just sort of winged it. They didn't test the proton packs properly, and they caused a lot of destruction to that hotel during their first job, which definitely added to the hilarity of that part of the movie.
Old 08-18-16, 10:48 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,182 Likes on 835 Posts

I'm actually with you Dan. I'm not a big fan of "passing the torch" when it is a lazy storytelling mechanism to show the transition from one set of characters to another. I typically don't want to see the "old originals" unless it is an organic part of the story. I didn't want the originals back in new Star Wars movies, but I felt The Force Awakens did a good job of using them as part of the story rather than shoe-horning them in simply for the sake of nostalgia.
I agree about Star Wars, mostly, but I think the original cast could have had even less screen time with the same effect.

That said, I would have liked to see the new GB be in continuity with the original. You don't need the originals in their original roles to do that. They could reference the coverup of the incident in 1984 through the mayor's office (as I mentioned before) or have it as a topic covered in their book.
There IS a hint of that going on in the remake. The Mayor mentions that they're well-aware of the paranormal activity in the city. Nothing concrete like saying, "Yes, Peter and his team caused us lots of problems in '84 and '89, those scoundrels!" though.

Or they could have discovered the old GB tech (eBay, flea market, government surplus/unclaimed property sale) and then improved upon it.
I kinda like this. Even if Holtzmann was working on putting something together, and you see a single piece of the original trap, or part of that bazooka-thing from GB2. Some sort of comment about, "I scoured eBay for parts." even. I can dig it.
(Oh yeah, can't do that because then BOYS - probably with cooties - would have been the reason women are empowered. )
indeed.

Last edited by Dan; 08-18-16 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-18-16, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Isn't this the same forum that bitches incessantly when any superhero movie features (or re-features) the character's origin?

Man of Steel, Batman Begins, Captain America, Ant-Man, Spider-Man, Amazing Spider-Man, Iron Man, Green Lantern, etc. and such as, all feature training, mentoring, or your basic "get to learn, control, and use your powers" sequences.

Even Neo in The Matrix spent most of the second act being trained and mentored by Morpheus and Trinity.

There certainly are a lot of bitches in this forum, that's for sure. The shit that they will argue about is ridiculous.
Old 08-18-16, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,645 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
There certainly are a lot of bitches in this forum, that's for sure. The shit that they will argue about is ridiculous.
Oh where is that "pot kettle" graphic when you need it!
Old 08-18-16, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brack
I always liked that the Ghostbusters just sort of winged it. They didn't test the proton packs properly, and they caused a lot of destruction to that hotel during their first job, which definitely added to the hilarity of that part of the movie.
Good point! But we needed more screen time of them in college working on their doctoral theses.
Old 08-18-16, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan
I agree about Star Wars, mostly, but I think the original cast could have had even less screen time with the same effect.
Agreed! I'm leery of what the next episodes will bring since they re-introduced Luke at the very end.

I kinda like this. Even if Holtzmann was working on putting something together, and you see a single piece of the original trap, or part of that bazooka-thing from GB2. Some sort of comment about, "I scoured eBay for parts." even. I can dig it.
Thank you! I figured the evolving storyline (as told in GB2) was that they were essentially sued out of existence. To me, some government agency would have had to have seized their equipment, boxed it up, and stuck it in Alan Smithee's apartment for 30 years. Or a warehouse.

Holtzman and ... crap ... the Melissa McCarthy character (was that Yates?), in the course of their research, learn that the stuff was seized and that the agency will be having a government surplus/unclaimed property auction. They buy it in an undisclosed lot at a government surplus auction. (Or they learn the villain did!)
Old 08-18-16, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Draven
Oh where is that "pot kettle" graphic when you need it!
That makes you the pot or the kettle?
Old 08-18-16, 04:02 PM

Good point! But we needed more screen time of them in college working on their doctoral theses.

Having said that, the electric shock experiment scene is pure gold, and was a great way to introduce Venkman. I always wondered if he hooked up with Jennifer at 8 o'clock.
Old 08-18-16, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That reminds me ... when the "sexual harassment" discussion was going on, THAT never came up. It was the prime example of what a letch Venkman was.
Old 08-19-16, 12:19 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Black is black, either way. If America tells me anything... it is that black is no good for discussion types.
Old 08-19-16, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not the one calling people out for my own behavior
Old 08-19-16, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

Depends on which one of you is from Colorado...
Old 08-19-16, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Draven
I'm not the one calling people out for my own behavior
No. I was calling you, among others, out for your behavior. And I guess that makes you the pot, no?
Old 08-19-16, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No. I was calling you, among others, out for your behavior. And I guess that makes you the pot, no?
No, but whatever makes you feel good about yourself
Old 08-24-16, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Leslie Jones has been the victim of a major hack, where personal information and photos were released, TMZ reports.

The Ghostbusters star’s website was reportedly updated with photos of her passport and driver’s license. The hacker also updated the website with photos of Harambe the Gorilla. Leslie has been the victim of some vicious racist attacks on Twitter, with haters sending photos of Harambe along with racial slurs.

In addition to posting personal information, the hacker shared sexually explicit photos of Leslie from her iCloud.
Old 08-24-16, 12:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

.... sexually explicit photos... of Leslie Jones. Now... I'm all for people having safe fun for themselves and their acquaintances or whatever. But that's shit I don't want to see.

Always interesting to see how people really don't care about the tech they own. We hear about it from the celebrities and such but it's a lot more prevalent in the non famous people just by the volume of them.
Old 08-24-16, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

The hacker also updated the website with photos of Harambe the Gorilla.
I'll never understand that kind of shit - it is so disgustingly beyond the pale. That kind of stuff makes me embarrassed to be white. I mean, do people really still believe that blacks are somehow subhuman apes? Didn't that kind of ignorant thought become a sign of stupidity by the middle of the last century?

Personally, I find darker skin to be more aesthetically pleasing anyway. To me black, white, Hispanic, Asian, etc only describes outward appearance and region of familial origin. It certainly doesn't describe intellect or character.
Old 08-24-16, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

She is a funny lady but I'd much rather see Kate McKinnon out of the 4 in explicit pictures
Old 08-24-16, 04:24 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

:barf:
Old 08-24-16, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It really is a cheap gimmick, and it seems to be getting more and more prevalent as the years go by. It's like all it takes to get a movie greenlit is to go into a pitch meeting and say "It's Ghostbusters, but with women." Or "It's Oceans 11 but with women."
Can you name another example from this year? Since it's more and more prevalent, you know.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.