Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Old 07-27-16, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I just went to this last night with a group of 8 guys ... everyone enjoyed it, a few even loved it. I thought it was fun. Don't understand where all the hate is coming from.
Some people have a different opinion of the film, and didn't like it.
Old 07-27-16, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

Not a big deal but I'm curious why people have stopped posting reviews in the review thread. Zuul in there?
Old 07-27-16, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Not a big deal but I'm curious why people have stopped posting reviews in the review thread. Zuul in there?
Every one that has wanted to see it, has seen it all ready?
Old 07-27-16, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They'd rather argue about what constitutes a racist tweet and what doesn't?
Old 07-27-16, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Me007gold
Every one that has wanted to see it, has seen it all ready?
There's been a few review posts in this thread rather than the review thread. People are still seeing it.
Old 07-27-16, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 451 Likes on 329 Posts

I finally found ecto cooler at a local grocery store and at a price I would actually pay. $1.99 for a 10pk of juice boxes or $3.99 for the cans. I haven't had it in probably 20-25 years since Hi-Ci put it out so I went with the 6pk cans. Not too bad, and it was fun to drink it again. I might go back and get more soon.
Old 07-27-16, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

I found some last week for about $2.50 for the pack of drink boxes. It was fun to drink again, but I think my nostalgia has been quenched.
Old 07-28-16, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,284 Likes on 881 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I just went to this last night with a group of 8 guys ... everyone enjoyed it, a few even loved it. I thought it was fun. Don't understand where all the hate is coming from.
I tried to temper my pre-viewing thoughts, but I have to say the trailers looked pretty bad. Finally went to see it today and ...

Not terrible, but certainly not on the level of the original. Too much physical/stupid comedy versus the deadpan subtle humor of the classic. That said ... I was very surprised at my reaction to the characters.

They put all of Leslie Jones' annoying schtick in the trailers, so I actually ended up enjoying her character for the most part.

My first experience with Melissa McCarthy and I found her to be pretty bland actually.

Kate McKinnn rocked it and stole the show in virtually every scene. I did think her last two scenes were a bit awkward though -- almost out of character. I can possibly forgive the toast, but the scene with Sigourney Weaver was off kilter. The material was good, SW was great, but McKinnon seemed a bit off.

I found Kristen Wiig to be the weak link, surprisingly.

The effects were good and I found the 3D to be damned good (despite my earlier comments about the 3D trailer), particularly during the end credits!

The story/writing had ups and downs, but overall I enjoyed it. I didn't care for the constant shoveling of pseudo-science technobabble. The humor shot for the lowest common demoninator rather than the charming witty banter from 30 years ago.

I liked the Stay Puft work in. The Stay Puft knockoff was a different story though, as was the new Slimer (terrible).
Old 07-31-16, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 312 Posts

Finally got to see this today with a friend of mine. We both really enjoyed it.

As others mentioned here, McKinnon stole the show and Jones was great in many of her scenes. I also thought (like others) that McCarthy being a bit restrained was a welcome change. Didn't care for Wiig, which really surprised me. Thought the FX work was great and fun to look at. I also really loved McKinnon's character (Holtzman) constantly upgrading or introducing more weapons, which made encounters that much more interesting.

I didn't really care for Rowan as the villain. When I kind of/sort of cared for him, he was being portrayed by a different actor.

It was also great to see the Ohio Metal band Midnight have their logo on one of the big flyers at the Metal Concert in the film.
Old 07-31-16, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Too much physical/stupid comedy versus the deadpan subtle humor of the classic. The humor shot for the lowest common denominator rather than the charming witty banter from 30 years ago.
Which is what a lot of people have said, and why I know I'd absolutely hate this movie. And a big part of the reason why it pisses me off so much.
Old 07-31-16, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Which is what a lot of people have said, and why I know I'd absolutely hate this movie. And a big part of the reason why it pisses me off so much.
i cannot fathom how a movie I don't even want to see could "piss me off". Or would cause me to return to a thread again and again to say over and over how I'm not going to see it.
Old 07-31-16, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
i cannot fathom how a movie I don't even want to see could "piss me off". Or would cause me to return to a thread again and again to say over and over how I'm not going to see it.
It pisses me off because I wanted a legit sequel for over 20 years (and Aykroyd and Ramis wrote no fewer than 3 scripts, one of them reportedly even a passing of the torch) and instead of that we got this piece of lowbrow, "Comedy," instead. At least Aykroyd and Ramis knew how to write witty dialogue with subtext.

I would have rather they just kept the franchise in mothballs than put out this piece of garbage. It was a slap in the face to Aykroyd, Ramis (before he died), and fans of the original to greenlight this thing based solely on a concept rather than a good script.
Old 07-31-16, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 312 Posts

Wasn't Dan Aykroyd an Executive Producer on this film? I know Ivan Reitman was also a Producer on it.
Old 07-31-16, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Wasn't Dan Aykroyd an Executive Producer on this film? I know Ivan Reitman was also a Producer on it.
Only because the concepts were theirs and I'm sure they have part ownership of those concepts. They didn't really have any creative control...
Old 07-31-16, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Executive Producer is just a vanity credit. You get paid for doing absolutely nothing.
Old 08-02-16, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Because of the wasted potential of the whole thing. I'm a yuuuge fan of the first, but not necessarily the series as a whole...but certainly for someone who is... much like ID4's fans... they're pretty disappointed now. The silver lining for fans like B5Erik is that this wasn't a direct sequel (unlike ID4 2) - the ultimate insult would've been using the original characters, and dragging them down with the movie..so it's a lot easier to just ignore this one. Any real GB3 has been about 15yrs too late anyways.
Old 08-02-16, 01:34 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Because of the wasted potential of the whole thing. I'm a yuuuge fan of the first, but not necessarily the series as a whole...but certainly for someone who is... much like ID4's fans... they're pretty disappointed now. The silver lining for fans like B5Erik is that this wasn't a direct sequel (unlike ID4 2) - the ultimate insult would've been using the original characters, and dragging them down with the movie..so it's a lot easier to just ignore this one. Any real GB3 has been about 15yrs too late anyways.
I don't know, we've been told repeatedly that a big part of why people hate this movie is because they didn't have the original actors playing their original roles, passing the torch to the new characters. Doesn't sound like much of a silver lining to me.
Old 08-02-16, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I don't know, we've been told repeatedly that a big part of why people hate this movie is because they didn't have the original actors playing their original roles, passing the torch to the new characters. Doesn't sound like much of a silver lining to me.
Admittedly, my interest would've been more if this was a sequel - which the first trailer absolutely led us to believe it was. Has a major film ever done that before? Since the film was a reboot, the cameos (as I've read in reviews and seen in clips) actually harm the movie more than it helps. All I'm saying is, for those that hate the concept of this film... it's a win that it's not a sequel.
Old 08-02-16, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts

I don't care if it was sequel or reboot, all men, all women or all trained lemurs. I'm not seeing it because I can't stand the thought of having to look at and listen to McCarthy and Jones for more than 20 seconds.
Old 08-02-16, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That was why people were angry about the movie and were predisposed to dislike it.

A lot of people ended up hating the movie in large part because of the style of humor Feig went with. The original was clever, with witty, thoughtful jokes (and a few dumb ones). The new one, from what almost everyone has said (even people who liked it), uses mostly dumb, lowest common denominator jokes using as little wit/cleverness as possible. It's a different brand of humor.

The positive reviews were mostly middling (lukewarm support at best), but the negative reviews mostly ripped it to shreds.
Old 08-02-16, 11:20 AM
Banned by request

Whatever helps you sleep at night. From here it looks like you're cherry picking your evidence to support the conclusions you want to see.

I sincerely hope Sony does build a franchise off of the Feig movie. There's so much potential there and I'd hate to see it go to waste because of a vocal minority of whiners.
Old 08-02-16, 11:28 AM
RIP

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Maybe it's going to "go to waste" because the film just has not done very well for Sony. Can't attribute all of that to "whiners."
Old 08-02-16, 11:45 AM
Banned by request

Well with Hollywood accounting it's hard to tell what is the deciding point between viable and not viable. I hope Sony deems this incarnation viable.
Old 08-02-16, 11:54 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,238 Likes on 878 Posts

I sincerely hope Sony does build a franchise off of the Feig movie. There's so much potential there and I'd hate to see it go to waste because of a vocal minority of whiners.
Agreed, and with the establishment of Ghost Corps as a production company in March 2015, it's unlikely that they're going to cancel all their plans because this flick didn't make as much as Internet Detectives(tm) think qualifies it for future projects.
Old 08-02-16, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Agreed, and with the establishment of Ghost Corps as a production company in March 2015, it's unlikely that they're going to cancel all their plans because this flick didn't make as much as Internet Detectives(tm) think qualifies it for future projects.
Ghost Corps was established for the overall GB brand as well as on the basis that this movie was going to be a huge hit.The simple truth of the matter is that this movie won't even make back its budget in the US, it didn't open at number 1 and audiences haven't exactly been excited about it. Even though it's going to turn a profit eventually most likely that won't be good enough. They pretty much have an Amazing Spiderman 2 situation here and it looks like Amy Pascal killed Ghostbusters just like she ruined Spiderman.

Somebdody really needs to do a documentary about this. It's ripe with such craziness including:

-The Sony hack
-Stonewalling Reitman and Aykroyd
-Paul Feig comes aboard
-Fans angry about rebooting the movie in the era of TFA and JW
-The on set drama
-The story about it not being any good leaking by someone on Reddit
-Controversy over Target clearencing out the Toys
-Feig attacks the fans
-Douches attacking Leslie Jones
-The GB Twitter being stupid enough to officially endorse Hillary Clinton
-How Sony actually was stupid enough to let Amy Pascall run a studio and then replaces her with equally stupid Tim Rothman

So much stuff to cover.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.