Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Old 07-21-16, 10:54 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

The point is that getting random free shit every so often is not the real indicator of privilege.
Old 07-21-16, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,801 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Good luck with that. The social justice warriors on this board won't let a differing viewpoint than their own go unchecked.
Aren't you posting your viewpoint with this comment? What's the difference?

I'm not sure why anyone would come into a movie thread after it's released just to say they won't see it. Like...okay? Personally I just don't post in threads about movies I have no intention of seeing.
Old 07-21-16, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 157 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
The point is that getting random free shit every so often is not the real indicator of privilege.
For the disabled: no. For the drop-dead gorgeous: it goddamn sure is.
Old 07-21-16, 11:07 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,253 Likes on 890 Posts

Drop Dead Gorgeous was a great film. Also very heavy on improv. Hmm... I'm seeing a connection here.
Old 07-21-16, 11:18 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by PatD
For the disabled: no. For the drop-dead gorgeous: it goddamn sure is.
Le sigh.

I'm not defending very attractive people, I am saying that there are greater indicators of privilege than who gets some random free shit. If you're holding a grudge against attractive people because they get some free stuff from time to time, then you're not paying attention to the socioeconomic forces that are active in our world today, to the benefit of people who have real privilege.
Old 07-21-16, 11:28 AM

Le sigh.

I'm not defending very attractive people, I am saying that there are greater indicators of privilege than who gets some random free shit. If you're holding a grudge against attractive people because they get some free stuff from time to time, then you're not paying attention to the socioeconomic forces that are active in our world today, to the benefit of people who have real privilege.
I'm not saying that the privilege is on the level of a white males like the Koch Bros, but seriously let's not pretend there is no privilege and it has *just a few* nice perks for those who won the looks lottery. But, hey, that's life.

Last edited by PatD; 07-21-16 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-21-16, 02:17 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,253 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Whatever, I didn't want to comeback to pick fights. Just simply stating that I will never watch it.
Oh. I already bought about 300,000 tickets, all in your name. Some warning would have been nice.
Old 07-21-16, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Aren't you posting your viewpoint with this comment? What's the difference?
The difference being that I'm not personally attacking someone for their choice to not see a movie. I'm also not calling anyone that has the opinion that a movie looks bad, a misogynistic, woman hating, sexist pig.
Old 07-21-16, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The difference being that I'm not personally attacking someone for their choice to not see a movie. I'm also not calling anyone that has the opinion that a movie looks bad, a misogynistic, woman hating, sexist pig.
Who has called ANYONE who thinks a movie looks bad those names? No one here.

Some people on the internet in general definitely deserve the label. But I've said from day one that if you don't want to see a movie, that's totally fine. However, there are people who have said that sexism has no affect on the reception of this movie and that's simply ridiculous.
Old 07-21-16, 03:21 PM
Banned by request

So it's cool that bluelitespecial posts about how all women have a hidden agenda to embarrass men and take away the things they care about, but we're the SJW pricks for telling him that's deluded and misogynistic?

I've got a bridge for sale, you seem like the kind of guy who would go for it!
Old 07-22-16, 12:31 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Gotta love a thread were "males" look at a Woman being horribly attacked on social media and instead of condemning the attacks...decide in their arrogance/ insensitivity/assholery to focus on her response instead of the fuckin' fact that she's being unfairly mass attacked.

These are the kind of shitty "males" that hear about a woman being slapped by a dude and all they can do is wonder what color lipstick she had on.
I have no idea what you are running on about, I was just pointing out that no one seemed to "get" the reference.
Old 07-22-16, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I have no idea what you are running on about, I was just pointing out that no one seemed to "get" the reference.
If it doesn't apply, let if fly...
Old 07-22-16, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Who has called ANYONE who thinks a movie looks bad those names? No one here.
Please. You obviously haven't been reading the multiple threads for this movie since the beginning. Two threads were locked, and this one was closed at least for once for that very reason.
Old 07-22-16, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So it's cool that bluelitespecial posts about how all women have a hidden agenda to embarrass men and take away the things they care about, but we're the SJW pricks for telling him that's deluded and misogynistic?
I'm not naming names, but if the shoe fits, as they say.
Old 07-22-16, 12:45 PM
Banned by request

I'm not naming names, but if the shoe fits, as they say.
Yes, your passive aggressive insults have been well noted. It got you suspended once recently, let's see if we can go for a double.
Old 07-22-16, 10:11 PM

Come on, everyone: we all need to get hosed down here...

Last edited by PatD; 07-22-16 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-23-16, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Any man who's running around screaming about how Melissa McCarthy is coming to cut off his dick because of one little movie is making men look like wimps who can't put up with even a tenth of what women and minorities go through every single day. Any man who's worth his balls can look at the movie, laugh and say, "Yup, we had that coming."
Yeah, all this "controversy" is doing is convincing me that men are really fucking whiny little bitches today. It's really embarrassing to watch grown ass men get so riled up over a kid's franchise, no matter what kind of agenda they think they see...move the hell on with your life!

Edit: Actually, it would be embarrassing for any franchise in any medium, so I take back the "kid's" part.

Last edited by Gunde; 07-23-16 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-23-16, 07:43 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 605 Likes on 347 Posts

I saw the movie last night with my wife and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Lots of laugh out loud moments.
Old 07-23-16, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 436 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I saw the movie last night with my wife and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Lots of laugh out loud moments.
Shhhh. You cant say that in these parts.

Old 07-23-16, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Please. You obviously haven't been reading the multiple threads for this movie since the beginning. Two threads were locked, and this one was closed at least for once for that very reason.
You might have misunderstood my usage of the word "anyone". Some people deserve the label. But there was never a blanket statement that anyone who didn't want to see this was sexist.
Old 07-23-16, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, your passive aggressive insults have been well noted. It got you suspended once recently, let's see if we can go for a double.
Weren't you suspended also? Since you were the one that started the passive aggressive insults, perhaps you should start again. You getting suspended yet again would really make this board a better place.

You might have misunderstood my usage of the word "anyone". Some people deserve the label. But there was never a blanket statement that anyone who didn't want to see this was sexist.
So I misunderstood your usage of the word "anyone" to actually mean "anyone"? My mistake.
Old 07-23-16, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,069 Likes on 848 Posts

Looking to be down about 50% this weekend. About average. It will be at just under $90m after this weekend.
Old 07-23-16, 11:38 AM
Banned by request

Weren't you suspended also? Since you were the one that started the passive aggressive insults, perhaps you should start again. You getting suspended yet again would really make this board a better place.
Yes, I was, and no, I won't. If my presence vexes you that much, then my sticking around is worth more than all the insults I could hurl at you. kthxbye!
Old 07-23-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Looking to be down about 50% this weekend. About average. It will be at just under $90m after this weekend.
Box Office Mojo has it down 63.8% (week over week) on Friday. It would take quite a Saturday bump to average out to 50%.
Old 07-23-16, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Box Office Mojo has it down 63.8% (week over week) on Friday. It would take quite a Saturday bump to average out to 50%.
Not really, Friday drops are always larger, since box office is usually so front loaded and Fridays include Thursdsy previews. For instance, Avengers 2 and Iron Man 3 both dropped 75% Friday to Friday.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.