Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Old 07-10-16, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

George Lucas is reading this thread and getting a good laugh.
Old 07-10-16, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

74% with 43 reviews and a 6.6/10 average. Already shaping up to be one of the more highly rated live action summer tent poles. Curious what it'll be next week.
Old 07-10-16, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
74% with 43 reviews and a 6.6/10 average. Already shaping up to be one of the more highly rated live action summer tent poles. Curious what it'll be next week.
Next week we move on to bash the new Star Trek movie.
Old 07-10-16, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 738 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHive08
Has the Walk The Moon cover of the theme been posted yet? It's the first song on the soundtrack. It's actually very good - a nearly perfect update of Ray Parker's theme. Much better than the Fall Out Boy one, which I really hated.

I mean, it sounds a lot more like the original, but if I wanted that, I'd just listen to the original. It's perfectly serviceable and inoffensive, but that's because it borrows all the beats from the original. Any decent cover band could do this. I mean, I don't really like the Fall Out Boy version either, but I have more respect for the effort than I have for this. If you're going to cover a song without trying to make it your own, then why bother?

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 07-10-16 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-10-16, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I mean, it sounds a lot more like the original, but if I wanted that, I'd just listen to the original. It's perfectly serviceable and inoffensive, but that's because it borrows all the beats from the original. Any decent cover band could do this. I mean, I don't really like the Fall Out Boy version either, but I have more respect for the effort than I have for this. If you're going to cover a song without trying to make it your own, then why bother?
I agree. But that's also Walk The Moon's MO, bland band.
Old 07-10-16, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Next week we move on to bash the new Star Trek movie.
Everyone online is going nuts over Paramount's confirmed embargo shenanigans.

Wait, no they're not. I'm thinking about the time some random Facebook poster lied about Sony's embargo.
Old 07-10-16, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Guru, you don't happen to have stock in Sony, do you?
Old 07-10-16, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
71% but I usually look at the average score which is a 6.5/10, so kind of middle of the road at this point.
The overall fresh rating is pretty high, but I do see a lot of 3/5's. Looks much better then what the trailers showed, but the actual content of most of the reviews aren't exactly filled with overwhelming praise either. Seems like a decent above average comedy to me. Don't really have a problem admitting that on my side

Probably not compelling enough for me to see it in theaters, but looks good enough to catch as a rental.
Old 07-10-16, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

One thing I am sure of, it should look and sound great on Blu-ray or UHD.
Old 07-10-16, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

To be honest I didn't really expect a ton of negative reviews. Whether or not I like the people involved with the film they (namely Feig and McCarthy) appeal to a broader audience and it was pretty unlikely that there were going to be scathing reviews from most of the mainstream critics. It seems about where I expected which is somewhere in the middle with most reviews which is more or less what I expected. That's fine but I'm not convinced it's a good movie just because it's not getting shit on.
Old 07-10-16, 05:12 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

So... better or worse than Evolution?
Old 07-10-16, 05:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Will reserve judgment on that until there's a female Evolution made.
Old 07-10-16, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
So... better or worse than Evolution?
I still think that movie is underrated.
Old 07-10-16, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Everyone online is going nuts over Paramount's confirmed embargo shenanigans.

Wait, no they're not. I'm thinking about the time some random Facebook poster lied about Sony's embargo.
Actually there is a thread on r/movies about how the embargo on Star Trek 3 is a bad sign for the quality of the movie. It's getting a lot of hate.
Old 07-10-16, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Classic deflection.

The point remains valid - by spending the ENTIRE first paragraph decrying the, "Misogynist," critics of the movie and insulting them it's pretty clear that the reviewer wants to find a positive way to spin the movie so they can have the, "Neener, neener, neener - IN YOUR FACE," review to annoy said, "Misogynist," critics.

If the writer had no agenda the controversy would have been kept to a sentence and the focus would have been on the movie from word one.
In journalism, you generally stick to one idea per paragraph. If you just jam a sentence into a separate paragraph, an editor (the few that remain) would send it back and say "Flesh this idea out."
Old 07-10-16, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

One of the reviews I just read said that the film did a good job addressing the class/gender issues, etc., but that it was just a shitty movie.
Old 07-10-16, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Actually there is a thread on r/movies about how the embargo on Star Trek 3 is a bad sign for the quality of the movie. It's getting a lot of hate.
Jeezus, they're showing it at Comic Con for free to fans...if Paramount was concerned about things staying 'mum', they're taking the wrong approach. The whole plot's (and probably a pirated copy or two) is going to be online a couple days before release.
Old 07-10-16, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,645 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I know I'm not.

I find the desperate attempts to defend this movie to be amusing. Whenever the messenger is attacked rather than the message it pretty much invalidates the argument presented by the attacker.

Face it, this is a messed up movie. I highlighted a couple points made by a critic earlier that show just a couple of the serious faults of this movie.
What is desperate? It is tracking as a middle-of-the-road comedy. Did anyone "defending" it say it was going to be a masterpiece?

If anything, people seem upset that it's rating as highly as it is. Seems anything more than an F or 0 out of 5 signifies a war against men
Old 07-10-16, 06:22 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Jeezus, they're showing it at Comic Con for free to fans...if Paramount was concerned about things staying 'mum', they're taking the wrong approach.
Fans who get to see it early for free will always over-rate the movie.
Old 07-10-16, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 738 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Not necessarily. I was part of a Comic Con crowd who got to see a free screening of The Crow: Salvation, and that audience laughed throughout at parts which were not intended to be funny, whilst the director and star of the film sat in the front row.
Old 07-10-16, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Not necessarily. I was part of a Comic Con crowd who got to see a free screening of The Crow: Salvation, and that audience laughed throughout at parts which were not intended to be funny, whilst the director and star of the film sat in the front row.

I actually like Salvation a lot. It's better than all of the DTV films from that franchise.
Old 07-10-16, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Getting back on topic...so will many critics who are given free passes (and, if reports are true, free candy and popcorn!) to an event that includes access to the stars of the film.
Old 07-10-16, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Getting back on topic...so will many critics who are given free passes (and, if reports are true, free candy and popcorn!) to an event that includes access to the stars of the film.
Ah so that's how TFA got so many good reviews.
Old 07-10-16, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I still feel bad because some friends and I laughed throughout a screening of a film that the director was at. At the Q&A afterward he said "I'm glad some of you got the humor."

No, it was just bad.
Old 07-10-16, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
What is desperate? It is tracking as a middle-of-the-road comedy. Did anyone "defending" it say it was going to be a masterpiece?
No, but they tried to minimize the fact that this isn't worthy of the Ghostbusters legacy. Not even close.

And the fact that there is the usual loudmouthed, annoying McCarthy and Jones stuff just makes the movie that much more unworthy.

But the most disturbing thing is that Jones' character is a racial stereotype, and one that is outdated and particularly insulting. I don't know how that gets any kind of a pass.

If anything, people seem upset that it's rating as highly as it is. Seems anything more than an F or 0 out of 5 signifies a war against men
No, but it seems that rating as low as it does hardly constitutes a, "Good," movie. It seems like the best thing we're hearing is that it's, "OK," and has some funny stuff in it. Never mind that the style of humor used in this movie is much more lowbrow than the original, and this movie (from most reviews) falls on it's face when it tries to hit some of the same marks as the original, I think it's safe to say that this isn't a very good movie. It may not be a complete trainwreck, but it it certainly isn't an artistic success, either.

They forced this thing into a concept of a gender-bending movie without having a good script. It was contrived and it wasn't better because of the concept. If anything, the gender reversal painted Feig into a corner and he wasn't up to the task of writing a script that was better than one with a mixed gender Ghostbusters team (which is what they should have done). There appears to have been too much emphasis on role reversal and not enough on writing a good script. As if the gender reversal concept alone could carry the movie. It didn't necessarily have to make it a bad movie, but it made it more difficult for Feig, and he failed to come up with something nearly as good as the original.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.