Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Old 07-01-16, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Originally Posted by Dan
Oh god. Not those stupid sexy stripes again!
They make Melissa feel like she's wearing nothing at all...

Nothing at all...

Nothing at all...
Old 07-01-16, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Those two things aren't mutually exclusive.
I obviously have no way to prove it but I bet the sexism backlash would have been anything more than a few jokes on the internet had the new Ghostbusters been any OTHER four women. If, say, they replaced the cast of Ghostbusters with the cast of Bad Moms, the uproar wouldn't have made any news at all (Ok, maybe Smith, but that would be a whole other debate).
Old 07-01-16, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I also still think Feig and the cast amplified things. They called a lot more attention to the people hating on the film and it turned into a back and forth, us versus them mentality.
Old 07-01-16, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Old 07-01-16, 07:30 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

^
How dare they celebrate the hard work they did as a team!

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I obviously have no way to prove it but I bet the sexism backlash would have been anything more than a few jokes on the internet had the new Ghostbusters been any OTHER four women.
Interesting theory, but impossible to know for sure.

Originally Posted by Mike86
I also still think Feig and the cast amplified things. They called a lot more attention to the people hating on the film and it turned into a back and forth, us versus them mentality.
They didn't speak up until WAY after the hatred was already in high gear. As I recall (and I could very well be wrong), none of them said anything until a week or two after the first trailer. That's much later than when the angry folks were already drawing a ton of attention to themselves. I figure they have a right to defend their work if they see fit.
Old 07-01-16, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm fairly certain its been longer than the first trailer premiere that things have been going on. I said this earlier and stand by it:

Yeah. I guess the thing to me that I've said this entire time is firing shots back at the haters to me doesn't help at all. It makes the cast and crew look immature and unprofessional and not really any better than the haters. That's honestly a lot of the reason why I've taken more of a stance against the film (aside from it looking bad) is that they want to act like they're empowering women with this girl power message yet can't rise against being better than people who are shitting on their film. The whole thing has just rubbed me the wrong way and feels like they've just been more about pushing an agenda rather than focusing on making a good film.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-01-16 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-01-16, 07:57 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I was just saying... I don't know exactly when Feig or McCarthy or anyone else said anything about the "fans" who are complaining, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't until shortly after the first trailer, which was WAY after the sexist comments were rolling in. That's all.
Old 07-01-16, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
^
How dare they celebrate the hard work they did as a team!
Well do they want their work to be judged on its own merits, or draw attention to their gender? If fans think the trailers suck we have to weather accusations of misogyny, meanwhile the crew has a nice out if audiences dislike the movie.
Old 07-01-16, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Any particular reason the Girl Power photo was posted again? I think it was in a previous thread but I figured it was discussed enough.

Just curious. Carry on.
Old 07-01-16, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Any particular reason the Girl Power photo was posted again? I think it was in a previous thread but I figured it was discussed enough.
Just curious. Carry on.
Fans aren't alone in exacerbating the gender issue. The cast and crew is drawing attention to it. At this point, it's impossible to separate Ghostbusters(2016) from the issue of a possible sexist backlash from the fans. We can pretend it's not there, but that would be disingenuous, it has consumed the conversation surrounding this movie.
Old 07-01-16, 08:34 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Well do they want their work to be judged on its own merits, or draw attention to their gender?
It doesn't have to be an either/or situation, does it?
Old 07-01-16, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

It's like Obama.

A lot of people are going to be predisposed to hate any president from the democratic party. But him being black made a lot of people completely lose their shit.

So with Ghostbusters, it's have a remake/reboot so it's going get a lot of hate. Then they put four women in it. Four women who aren't Maxim cover models. One's fat. One's a loud, angry black woman.

It's a perfect storm of nerd rage.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 07-01-16 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-01-16, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Since this whole thing is one giant sexist debate ... Will my ticket cost me 7/10ths what it would if this had been an all male cast?
Old 07-02-16, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
One's a loud, angry black woman.

Not cool.
Old 07-02-16, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I read about a week ago that this film is only tracking for about a $50 million dollar opening. The piece I read said it would be Feig's biggest opening ever, but the movie cost about $150 million, so that can't be good news for Sony.

Honestly, I've been predicting about a 75 million opening weekend haul (even the 'haters' will check it out, just so they can complain about it), but followed by a huge drop-off.
Old 07-02-16, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I'm a 'hater' but will not be going. As for the OW, it'll all depend on the reviews, though.
Old 07-02-16, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Not cool.
Sorry. Didn't mean to pee in anybody's pool...
Old 07-03-16, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

More than caring about the movie being good as a whole I'm worried that they fucked up the scenes with the original cast. I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that they really fucked up not casting them as their original characters ( I don't care what anyone says casting Murray as anyone but Venkman is akin to if J.J cast Harrison Ford as the creature who Rey sold ship parts to), but I swear if the Aykroyd and Murray scenes are crap I'm gonna burst a blood vessel.
Old 07-03-16, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
More than caring about the movie being good as a whole I'm worried that they fucked up the scenes with the original cast. I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that they really fucked up not casting them as their original characters
Yeah I really don't understand that... despite the stunt casting (which it is imo) I'd be much more interested if it was a straight forward sequel/requel... I've said it before, but give Aykroyd the largest role...let him introduce them to everything, show them the ropes, etc.. that would've been perfectly fine.
Old 07-03-16, 07:15 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

How hard is it to make a fucking decent GB movie: Stantz and Zeddemore run the GB now.... getting "too old for this shit" but in reality they've done such a good job over the years that business has dried up and they are considering retirement. It's been so lean over the last 20 years that their tech is old, breaking down, outdated but it doesn't matter. It's the end of the road for the need for the GB anyway. Then they get a frantic call from Janine and/or Dana that Venkman has suddenly gone missing, dragged to the underworld or caught in purgatory or something, forcing them to recruit some newer unisex Ghostbusters to help save him. New blood, new tech. Egon is either dead, or preferably off off off the grid somewhere collecting spores, mold, and fungus. Venkman would be in it for like 5-10 mins tops. End it with either them saving Venkman or not, who cares... old guys officially retire... fuck, you could even throw in the very last shot of the movie of someone who looks like Egon from behind or from his POV walking in to the new fully updated GB building with shiny new tech, new faces, with an impersonator saying "what did I miss?" cut to GB logo and iconic music. FIN.
Old 07-03-16, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

I would go see that Ghostbusters opening night.
Old 07-03-16, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I hope the all-female version of Ocean's-whatever is good, so that the people who think this movie is going to be bad on its own merits can be separated from the people who are actually flat-out sexist. I couldn't care less that the new ghostbusters are female. I care more about the perception that the not-sequel-in-the-same-universe-with-the-same-people-doing-different-characters is relying on humor that I simply don't find funny. On the other hand, it wouldn't be the first time that previews looked awful, and I still enjoyed the final product.
Old 07-03-16, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that if they had done a passing of the torch sequel things might have been differently received. The cast still may have been problematic (I'd get rid of Jones and McCarthy) but I think having the three original surviving cast members there in supporting roles as their original characters would have worked better.
Old 07-03-16, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
How hard is it to make a fucking decent GB movie:
Probably not that hard.

Stantz and Zeddemore run the GB now.... getting "too old for this shit"
Um...

Then they get a frantic call from Janine and/or Dana that Venkman has suddenly gone missing, dragged to the underworld or caught in purgatory or something, forcing them to recruit some newer unisex Ghostbusters to help save him.
Um...

New blood, new tech. Egon is either dead, or preferably off off off the grid somewhere collecting spores, mold, and fungus.
Um...

Venkman would be in it for like 5-10 mins tops. End it with either them saving Venkman or not, who cares... old guys officially retire..
Um...

fuck, you could even throw in the very last shot of the movie of someone who looks like Egon from behind or from his POV walking in to the new fully updated GB building with shiny new tech, new faces, with an impersonator saying "what did I miss?" cut to GB logo and iconic music. FIN.
Okay, maybe it is difficult.

What you're describing is everything wrong with Short Circuit 2, Police Academy 5, Aces: Iron Eagle 3, The Next Karate Kid, Teen Wolf Too and Speed 2.
Old 07-03-16, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I hope the all-female version of Ocean's-whatever is good, so that the people who think this movie is going to be bad on its own merits can be separated from the people who are actually flat-out sexist. I couldn't care less that the new ghostbusters are female. I care more about the perception that the not-sequel-in-the-same-universe-with-the-same-people-doing-different-characters is relying on humor that I simply don't find funny. On the other hand, it wouldn't be the first time that previews looked awful, and I still enjoyed the final product.
I'm actually optimistic about the new Ocean's 8 movie (or whatever it will be called). They've got some talented people in the movie, people who I can buy into as far as what they're doing. If the script is good then the movie should be really good.

Unlike Ghostbusters 2016. Even a great script with that cast can't turn out well. They' cast obnoxious, abraisive, unfunny actresses in the lead roles, and I don't buy any of them as scientists (unlike Harold Ramis and Dan Akroyd, who were believable in those roles).

But Oceans 8? So far, I'm planning to see it. We'll see how the trailer looks, and what the buzz is, but I'm looking forward to it (I liked Oceans 11 and 13, and I liked the original with Sinatra).

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think that if they had done a passing of the torch sequel things might have been differently received. The cast still may have been problematic (I'd get rid of Jones and McCarthy) but I think having the three original surviving cast members there in supporting roles as their original characters would have worked better.
Absolutely. I just can't stand McCarthy or Jones, and, as I noted before, I don't buy any of them as scientists.

Had they done it as a passing the torch movie with a better cast I would have no problem with it and would have been fairly excited about it. Even with an all female team.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.