Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What if Inception were a total mindbender?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-16, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend and I watched it together. She liked it, I loved it, but we both came up with the same conclusion: Nolan compromised the intellectual integrity of the movie to appeal to a broader audience.

DiCaprio and Page weren't amazing in their roles, but they were safe popular choices that people would go to see.

20 minutes of gratuitous skiing action wasn't necessary, but hey, it's the climax, Hollywood movies, at some point, need to throw a bunch of money on the screen. The final area could've been something much more mystifying and cerebral.

Lastly, I think the dialogue does too much spoonfeeding. Instead of directly telling the viewer near the beginning that Cobb plans to plant a new idea instead of extract an idea, it could've been a major plot twist.

It's probably the most ambitious movie of all time. It could've been the greatest movie of all time had it not catered so much to 15-25 year old male audience.
Old 05-25-16, 04:37 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: What if Inception were a total mindbender?

Page doesn't bring big ticket sales. She's very talented and I enjoy her work no matter what. DiCaprio legitimatizes a project for the audience based on his talent and good job choices.

Probably the most ambitious movie? No. It's big and it's got stuff that is technically a solid achievement but it's not the most ambitious. I could name so many films with grand ambitions and failed even w/ them. But even the successes for those of grand ambitions that I could name are still more important in conception alone than Inception. I like Inception but let us not think it's THAT earth shattering in terms of Film History.
Old 05-25-16, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

It isn't, but it gets a pass in the current time of entirely mindless blockbusters. It's a damn good flick, but the Nolan need to over explain everything hurt it. Still, it took chances for a big budget flick.

There's also movies like Time Crimes, Triangle and Coherence which work well on a much lower budget. Or that episode of Futurama ("The Sting").

Last edited by RichC2; 05-25-16 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-25-16, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Welcome to the forum Sogogi110! It's great that you want to talk about Inception, but typically we try to avoid duplicate threads. I feel like you post could've gone into the Inception Reviews thread:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...ws-thread.html

Yes, Inception was very ambitious for a big budget movie. As for the "spoonfeeding," that's pretty necessary for anything intended to reach a mainstream audience. As it is, there's still a lot of people that don't understand parts, or all, of the movie:

'Inception': Am I the only one who didn't get it?
Can Someone Please Explain Inception to Me?
I Did Not Understand INCEPTION?

Just Google "I didn't understand inception" to see the thousands of hits you get

As for other "mindbending" movies, my go-to is the time-travel movie Primer, but for a movie covering the same subject as Inception (entering other's dreams), there's the anime Paprika.
Old 05-25-16, 09:38 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

From my original review:

I was still baffled by the scenes in the snow. The missed opportunity of these scenes is the film's biggest disappointment. What the fuck happened? When I saw the film the first time I thought I'd missed something, but upon reviewing last night I realize that it is just a clusterfuck. The snow sequences looked awesome, like something out of a Bond film, but the action is so fragmented (at a time when the audience is already out on a high wire in regard to the plot) that it all falls to pieces.Saito and Fischer are climbing a mountain, suddenly it's an hour later, then they have to repel down very quickly, they're effectivly back where they started. Then someone remembers a secret air duct entrance and 30 seconds later they are entering the air duct. WTF? It's just rapid montage of Humvees, guys on skis, and dialogue that makes little sense.
The scene in the snow sinks the whole film. It seem like Nolan was not up to the task of directing this sequence. It is muddled and confusing and fragmented. We don't know where anyone is in relation to anyone else. And while that might have been appropriate at some earlier point in the film, the focus of the story has become too important at this point to let the narrative fall apart.

Ultimately I feel the same way about Inception and Interstellar. It's nice to see a filmmaker swing for the fences even though the final product is a little half baked. No one else is doing it right now.
Old 05-25-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, for a guy obsessed with time manipulation, he isn't very good at portraying the passage of time.
Old 05-25-16, 11:26 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All the "spoonfeeding" would have been acceptable if Nolan didn't render all of the establishing work moot by having the characters take a shortcut in the third act, wasting all of the audience's time.
Old 05-25-16, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

I'd like to hear what stvn1974 has to say about all of this.
Old 05-25-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

It's funny how the central goal of the movie is planting an idea on someone who then thinks the idea was theirs all along. They act like this is the hardest thing ever, yet it's just manipulation in real life/other movies.
Old 05-25-16, 11:51 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I honestly have tried watching this movie several times, and it always puts me to sleep.
Old 05-25-16, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Loved the flick. Wasn't as deep as it thought it wanted to be. I need to watch it again.

Can't wait for our resident troll to chime in. Quite frankly I'm surprised he hasn't shown up yet.
Old 05-25-16, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
I'd like to hear what stvn1974 has to say about all of this.
Stupid movie. Not Dark Knight trilogy stupid but still stupid. Nolan needs to leave films like Memento, The Prestige and Inception to directors who know what they are doing like David Lynch.
Old 05-25-16, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

^ I love that you still manage to see all of Nolan's films. Internet trolling at its best.
Old 05-25-16, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

I haven't seen Interstellar and won't be wasting my time with his 2 hour 45 minutes of exposition war flick that he is making now.
Old 05-25-16, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Stupid movie. Not Dark Knight trilogy stupid but still stupid. Nolan needs to leave films like Memento, The Prestige and Inception to directors who know what they are doing like David Lynch.
This comment makes no sense. David Cronenberg? Maybe, but what was the last plot driven Lynch movie?

I'm sure we could give Guy Maddin a whack at it as well.
Old 05-25-16, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I honestly have tried watching this movie several times, and it always puts me to sleep.
I only wish I'd slept through it. Then I would have liked it better.
Old 05-25-16, 03:47 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I only wish I'd slept through it. Then I would have liked it better.
You did sleep through it. You were incepted.
Old 05-25-16, 03:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RichC2
This comment makes no sense. David Cronenberg? Maybe, but what was the last plot driven Lynch movie?

I'm sure we could give Guy Maddin a whack at it as well.
Yeah I don't know what he's talking about. Nolan wrote all those films. So Nolan should leave all the films he writes to David Lynch...who is retired?

Last edited by Mabuse; 05-25-16 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-25-16, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Yeah I don't know what he's talking about. Nolan wrote all those films. So Nolan [should] leave all the films he writes to David Lynch...who is retired.
To be fair, The Prestige is an adaptation, so it's possible someone else could've written and directed a different adaptation.

Also David Lynch is directing all 18 episodes of the new Twin Peaks series., so I'm not sure if he counts as "retired."
Old 05-25-16, 04:44 PM
Banned

Semi-retired.
Old 05-26-16, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

The Prestige is Nolan's best film...
Old 05-26-16, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Memento is Nolan's best film...
Fixed
Old 05-26-16, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
The Prestige is Nolan's best film...
QFT .... Memento is a fine piece of work as well

Inception .... not so much
Old 05-26-16, 04:01 PM
Banned

Memento blows your mind the first time you see it, but after you sort it all out it's not as much fun to watch. The Prestige works every time I see it. Great performances and great philosophy that "the trick" is the essence of all creation.
Old 05-26-16, 06:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think Memento holds up to repeated viewings, but I agree that The Prestige is Nolan's best film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.