Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

When you have the option, do you see a movie on a "Premium Large Format" screen?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do you usually choose a Premium Large Format screen?
I always choose a Premium Large Format screen when it is an option.
13.33%
I never choose a Premium Large Format screen.
20.00%
I only choose a Premium Large Format screen for certain movies.
26.67%
There are no Premium Large Format screens close to where I live.
40.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

When you have the option, do you see a movie on a "Premium Large Format" screen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-16, 06:30 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

When you have the option to see a movie on a "Premium Large Format" screen, do you usually choose the Premium Large Format screen over a standard movie theater screen?
Old 05-08-16, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts
Re: When you have the option, do you see a movie on a "Premium Large Format" screen?

I used to make it a point to see everything that was released in IMAX on an IMAX screen. This was back when you could still see major IMAX releases on 70mm film.

The place that I used to see those doesn't get major releases anymore, and is now in the process of converting to digital.

I've only tried one other Premium Large Format film, Star Wars:TFA (The theater that I saw it in billed it as "EMAX"), and I frankly wasn't impressed enough to spend the money again.

I haven't felt the need to see anything in IMAX in years.
Old 05-08-16, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: When you have the option, do you see a movie on a "Premium Large Format" screen?

When a movie is on a legit IMAX screen I will go out of my way to watch it. Luckily, there are three IMAX screens in Socal (Irvine, Chinese Theater, Universal Studios, RIP Bridge) and all have assigned seating.
Old 05-08-16, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I used to go out of my way to watch movies on IMAX here, but recently the IMAX showings coincide with 3D which I strongly dislike. I've also started going to reserved seating high end theaters with recliners, food service, alcohol, etc rather then the typical theaters which are a much more pleasing overall experience anyway.

It doesn't help that for big IMAX releases here, unless I'm early enough (or the showing isn't packed) that I get a good seat in the middle towards the back, a shitty seat at IMAX is more detrimental to the viewing then it would be in a regular theater.
Old 05-08-16, 06:49 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only time a film is worth being IMAX is if it was made for the format. Otherwise... I'm not impressed.
Old 05-08-16, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I don't have the option and have only been to an IMAX theater once. I'd probably go to at least some of the blockbusters if I had one nearby.
Old 05-09-16, 04:45 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm a little surprised more members here don't prefer bigger screens and better sound whenever possible, especially with more opening all the time, such as Cinemark's XD, Regal's RPX, Cineplex's UltraAVX, Carmike's BIGD and AMC's Dolby Cinema, along with many others:

http://www.filmjournal.com/features/...-format-brands

But I guess as some have pointed out, if it isn't "real" Imax than it just isn't worth the extra money. Thanks again for all the replies.
Old 05-09-16, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Problem is most of the "premium" screens at multiplexes are just an excuse to charge more, and they're the minimum of how EVERY screen in the place should be! The Regal I used to work at 15 years ago converted its biggest auditorium to "RPX" and now charges a few extra bucks- I checked it out (but didn't pay) and the screen is actually SMALLER than the original one was, plus the old screen was properly side-masked but this is native 1.85 and shows scope movies letterboxed without any masking!
Old 05-09-16, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

We have a great true IMAX screen in town, but it's expensive and inconvenient. The Dark Knight was fantastic, Transformers was still a bad movie, Avatar was stunning, and the first Hobbit was disappointing. That's how rarely I go.

My multiplex has a LIEMAX screen, and I'll see big movies there if convenient, but my kid doesn't like 3-D and I'm not that excited about it either, so we don't make it a priority.
Old 05-09-16, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Depends on the movies, I choose it more because the audio is usually vastly superior.
Old 05-09-16, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

The IMAX screen at my local megaplex appears to me to be the same size as the regular screens. There are more speakers but it's not a big enough difference to make it cost effective for me. Also as was already mentioned IMAX showings generally coincide with 3D which I absolutely loathe.
Old 05-09-16, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Sometimes. The last films I saw in a large/premium format were Hateful Eight and Batman v Superman in 70mm.
Old 05-09-16, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I did for a while. So many movies come off of 2K DIs now that I don't see much point in going to a movie at the cinema where there can be an annoying person texting next to me when I can watch it at home on my plasma in more or less the same resolution unless I'm going with someone for social reasons or I'm offered some sort of premium. But LIEMAX isn't really worth the premium price, and even "real" IMAX is digital now (Though if someone of interest comes out in the laser projection, I'll make the trip). I was willing to go out of the way for the 70mm screening of The Hateful Eight since it's probably the last major release on film that'll happen, but generally, cinemas don't offer something tremendously different from what I get at home. I have lost any and all patience with 3-D, so that's never worth the cash for me.