Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the Mouse Unbeatable?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Is the Mouse Unbeatable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-16, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Is the Mouse Unbeatable?

Seems with Star Wars, Marvel, and Pixar, Disney is owns just about everything relevant to today's blockbusters. Take into account it's theme parks, network, and merchandise, it's like it's an unstoppable entertainment juggernaut. Don't get me wrong, I like what it has to offer (live a little over an hour away in FL), but it seems like lately all the money is going to the mouse.
Old 05-08-16, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Is the Mouse Unbeatable?

Some of their other ventures aren't faring so hot, though. ESPN is losing viewers and money hand over fist. I don't think ABC is doing all that well, either.
Old 05-08-16, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I watched Civil War on Friday and went to California Adventure yesterday. I'm all in on Disney! But really, they've been knocking it out of the park. Even without Star Wars/Marvel, their animation has stepped it up a notch and I find their output better then Pixar's in the last 5 or 6 years too.
Old 05-08-16, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Some of their other ventures aren't faring so hot, though. ESPN is losing viewers and money hand over fist. I don't think ABC is doing all that well, either.
ABC is doing alright, it's ESPN that's causing problems for them. Their movies and theme parks are killing it right now, though. And Shanghai Disney opens in a few weeks.

In terms of movies, it only takes a couple flops to turn your fortunes upsidedown. Universal was on top of the world last year. But Disney is on a solid roll right now, Finest Hours aside.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-08-16 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-08-16, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

A wealthy company gets richer

ABC sucks. I go out of my way not to watch that network.

The Force Awakens was overrated and even though everybody hates him I wished George Lucas had the rights.
Old 05-08-16, 06:56 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Overrated? Yes. Still a good movie w/ the obvious narrative flaws it played in.

I'm not even a SW fan but I feel that Kennedy has moved this in positive direction w/ the property than Lucas did in a long time.
Old 05-08-16, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Seems with Star Wars, Marvel, and Pixar, Disney is owns just about everything relevant to today's blockbusters.
You left out Disney proper which has been putting out better stuff than Pixar for multiple years now.
Old 05-08-16, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Pixar is still good but Disney's own animation studio has been upping their game for quite a while. They've definitely been on a hot streak and I'm not sure I see it dying out anytime soon. Plus they've had decent success adapting some of their animated classics as live action films lately. People keep claiming superhero fatigue yet here we are eight years later and the Marvel brand is still going strong. Star Wars will likely be a strong money maker for quite a while too.
Old 05-08-16, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
Pixar is still good but Disney's own animation studio has been upping their game for quite a while. They've definitely been on a hot streak and I'm not sure I see it dying out anytime soon. Plus they've had decent success adapting some of their animated classics as live action films lately. People keep claiming superhero fatigue yet here we are eight years later and the Marvel brand is still going strong. Star Wars will likely be a strong money maker for quite a while too.
I started claiming super hero fatigue well before Iron Man came out, I was a little off on that one
Old 05-08-16, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichC2
ABC is doing alright, it's ESPN that's causing problems for them. Their movies and theme parks are killing it right now, though. And Shanghai Disney opens in a few weeks.
Don't kid yourself. Cable providers pay more for ESPN than any other Network by far. The loss of subscribers is not an ESPN problem it is a Cable problem. The subscriber loss is from Cordcutters is deep and the kind of weak economy makes people trim down on bills - like by going down a tier on their cable bill. And lots of those cordcutters are simply picking up Espn online through TV Apps (Sling) or from ISPs (ATT)

Also even with the loss of subscriber numbers they were able to trim operating costs (lay off staff and cut out on air talent) and post a profit.

That said Disney (along with Under Armor, Google, Apple, Netflix and Nike) stock has made me a lot of money in my retirement portfolio. In the past few months I've sold Disney high and bought back in on the recent dip and I am in for the long haul.
Old 05-08-16, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cruzness
Don't kid yourself. Cable providers pay more for ESPN than any other Network by far. The loss of subscribers is not an ESPN problem it is a Cable problem. The subscriber loss is from Cordcutters is deep and the kind of weak economy makes people trim down on bills - like by going down a tier on their cable bill. And lots of those cordcutters are simply picking up Espn online through TV Apps (Sling) or from ISPs (ATT)

Also even with the loss of subscriber numbers they were able to trim operating costs (lay off staff and cut out on air talent) and post a profit.

That said Disney (along with Under Armor, Google, Apple, Netflix and Nike) stock has made me a lot of money in my retirement portfolio. In the past few months I've sold Disney high and bought back in on the recent dip and I am in for the long haul.
The concern, from what I gathered, has to do with the mix of cord cutters, decrease in viewership and rising costs associated with the NFL specifically.

They've made me a lot of money as well, but I've just been playing options with them. ESPN is the only thing preventing it from jumping a lot higher, though as a lot of advisers have stated -- at this point, that's already factored in to the price. IMO, the "ESPN risk" is severely overplayed, but that's for other investors to decide.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-08-16 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-08-16, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I started claiming super hero fatigue well before Iron Man came out, I was a little off on that one
I think a lot of people thought that during that string of Catwoman, Daredevil, Ghost Rider, etc.
Old 05-08-16, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I think as long as College Football exists, ESPN will have a home. Forgot to mention Disney Animation after Pixar, that too.
Old 05-08-16, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup it is already factored into the price - I still think Espn being an anchor is overhyped. Now let's get away from the boring stock talk and get back to prasing the House of Mouse.

Thank God Roy E got Eisner voted out.

Otherwise we'd have a continuation of straight to video crap. Cinderella 12: Revenge of the Mice would be going into the vault right now.
Old 05-08-16, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I actually found the recent shake-up, where the heir apparent to the CEO throne left after they questioned if he was actually right for the role, to be a smart move.
Old 05-08-16, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Quite a while or since they gave the position to Lassiter? Because success with Disney animation have really been since they put Lassiter in charge. I don't think anyone saw the popularity of turning their animated classics into live action franchises.
Old 05-08-16, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

In terms of movies, it only takes a couple flops to turn your fortunes upsidedown. Universal was on top of the world last year. But Disney is on a solid roll right now, Finest Hours aside.
Like Mars Needs Moms, John Carter and The Lone Ranger? They seem to be immune.

Although the latter two may not be considered that bad when you add foreign box office. I don't know where the bar is today for determining a flop.
Old 05-08-16, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

The concern, from what I gathered, has to do with the mix of cord cutters, decrease in viewership and rising costs associated with the NFL specifically.
If you can't make money off the NFL, you're doing it wrong.
Old 05-09-16, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

ABC couldn't and they dropped MNF
Old 05-09-16, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
The Force Awakens was overrated and even though everybody hates him I wished George Lucas had the rights.

I think they are on a role, but at some point they'll have a lull where another studio will benefit.
Old 05-09-16, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy

I think they are on a role, but at some point they'll have a lull where another studio will benefit.
I think that's the benefit of owning all these properties. If Star Wars hits a lull they have Marvel to pick up the slack. If Disney animation hits a downslide, Pixar is right there to pick them up.
Old 05-09-16, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Right now Disney has hitched their star to a lot of pop culture iconography they are riding like a total wave and, sooner or later, that wave is gonna crest. No that I mind. For the most part, I love what's coming out of Disney right now. Just saw the Jungle Book in 3D and it was terrific. Much netter than I thought it would be. Despite my love Disney classic animation, I'm not a fan of the animated original.

Also, like it or not, ESPN has issues. A lot of the recent changes there are typical corporate indicators of behind the scenes problems. Cable pays more for iESPN because that's what they agreed to. Disney demanded and they acquiesced.

And, according to a TVWeek report just a few weeks ago, a survey of ESPN viewers indicated that nearly 90% of them would not be willing to pay even $8/month for ESPN ala carte… less than a third of what Disney would have to charge (to remain profitable) if they made ESPN available ala carte.

One of the most common complaints I read about cable are channels people don't want and sports channels typically make the list right after shopping channels. I doubt sports are as golden and untouchable as many sports fans like to think. They can't see the forest for trees.

The Emperor has no clothes.
Old 05-09-16, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon2
Right now Disney has hitched their star to a lot of pop culture iconography they are riding like a total wave and, sooner or later, that wave is gonna crest.
Yeah, but that could be 5+yrs from now, and by then I'd expect they'd adapt to the changing market... Marvel will be done w it's major characters, SW will be done with ep9... they probably won't be as big, but they'll retool and still be big players. Pixar, Disney animation (w Frozen and Zootopia franchises), and their live action Disney movies should still be going strong.

Disney has set themselves up w potential Billion dollar movies in every quarter for years to come, so yeah... they are pretty much unbeatable for the foreseeable future.
Old 05-10-16, 02:55 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon2
Also, like it or not, ESPN has issues. A lot of the recent changes there are typical corporate indicators of behind the scenes problems. Cable pays more for iESPN because that's what they agreed to. Disney demanded and they acquiesced.

And, according to a TVWeek report just a few weeks ago, a survey of ESPN viewers indicated that nearly 90% of them would not be willing to pay even $8/month for ESPN ala carte… less than a third of what Disney would have to charge (to remain profitable) if they made ESPN available ala carte.

One of the most common complaints I read about cable are channels people don't want and sports channels typically make the list right after shopping channels. I doubt sports are as golden and untouchable as many sports fans like to think. They can't see the forest for trees.

The Emperor has no clothes.
I'd like to see a link to that survey. Can't find anything online except for articles in January talking about cable subscribers dropping ESPN if it'd save $8 per month on their cable bill, which was 56% of all subscribers, which isn't that bad, since a majority of cable subscribers probably don't watch one single channel or group of channels, period.
Old 05-10-16, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wait until the those two Star Wars lands open in Disneyland and Walt Disney World to go along with more SW movie blockbusters. Mo money, mo money...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.