Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
26.36%
31.82%
32.73%
5.45%
1.82%
0%
1.82%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-16, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Th

Originally Posted by He Who Lurks No More
In my packed theater, I think I'm the only one that caught "Mark Furhman".

That was awesome.
Old 05-06-16, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Th

Originally Posted by HN
was it when he looked back at Ross and had that smirk? i thought that looked really odd -- like the lighting was off, tony was looking in the wrong direction, and they held the shot too long.
Yeah, that's the one. They did hold the shot too long and the helicopter seemed to just levitate out of there. It was jarring.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 05-06-16 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-06-16, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
did it stay true to the comic? i mean at least as ending?
It was a fracture in the superhero community. Small as it is here.

The set up for everything is different.

The ending is also different. Especially the fallout of the comic's ending.

It's an adaptation but it also takes a skeleton frame of the comic but adds its own meat to the frame to make a much better narrative.

The comic is fun and is engrossing, to me, cuz we've thousands of comics laying down who these people are. And the issues in it are important for that genetic makeup of the world. But it's a sloppy narrative. It's ideas are unique and very interesting but the writing isn't there. The art was awesome though. Nice twists in the comics but overall the film is better than the comic cuz of the development they did here where they didn't do so well in the comics.
Old 05-06-16, 09:49 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

how fcking cool was it when bucky grabbed that motorcycle? solid cheering for that (last time someone did something that cool on motorcycle was batman in TDK doing that bat-pod wall turnaround).

spidey: "dude, that shield doesn't follow the rules of physics AT ALL"

Rudd's delivery was perfect on his intro, like a fan at a comic convention
"captain america!.." *shake**shake* "...it's an honor..."*shake*shake**shake "..i'm shaking your hand too long" "wow, this is awesome! capt. america!" *looks back at wanda* "i know you too..you're great!"

----
couple of nits, but only bc this is the internet and i'm obligated to bitch about something:

-coulda used more Vision and sharon carter (this is obviously just more icing on the cake though)

-Tony knew just about everying about spidey even though he only had his powers for 6 months, but has no idea who Lang is (or was tony just mocking him when he said "who are you?" in the cell?)

-the editing on the first fight against crossbones' team was a little too jerky; like it was directed by a different team (no where near as smooth as the highway fight in TWS).

-capt. broke them all out of the maximum security prison in street clothes? at least put him in the stealth suit.

-speaking of suit, wished Cap's had changed a bit more from AoU. only difference is less red on the star and less white on the sleeves; otherwise, it's pretty much the same suit.
Old 05-06-16, 09:53 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
-Tony knew just about everying about spidey even though he only had his powers for 6 months, but has no idea who Lang is (or was tony just mocking him when he said "who are you?" in the cell?)
I think he was just mocking him because of the hostility of the situation.
Old 05-06-16, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HN
how fcking cool was it when bucky grabbed that motorcycle? solid cheering for that (last time someone did something that cool on motorcycle was batman in TDK doing that bat-pod wall turnaround).

spidey: "dude, that shield doesn't follow the rules of physics AT ALL"

Rudd's delivery was perfect on his intro, like a fan at a comic convention
"captain america!.." *shake**shake* "...it's an honor..."*shake*shake**shake "..i'm shaking your hand too long" "wow, this is awesome! capt. america!" *looks back at wanda* "i know you too..you're great!"

----
couple of nits, but only bc this is the internet and i'm obligated to bitch about something:

-coulda used more Vision and sharon carter (this is obviously just more icing on the cake though)

-the editing on the first fight against crossbones' team was a little too jerky; like it was directed by a different team (no where near as smooth as the highway fight in TWS).

-capt. broke them all out of the maximum security prison in street clothes? at least put him in the stealth suit.

-speaking of suit, wished Cap's had changed a bit more from AoU. only difference is less red on the star and less white on the sleeves; otherwise, it's pretty much the same suit.

He was mocking him.

Yeah, the way bucky grabbed the motorcycle and spun it reminded me of when Legolas pulled of the same move with a horse in Two Towers.
Old 05-06-16, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOVED this. Marvel succeeds in almost every way that DC fails. The conflict was organic, built up over the past 5 years since Avengers (and before with all of the Stark history). Both sides of the conflict had points that you could agree with. Everyone got a chance to shine. Spidey was beyond awesome. Giantman was well realized (when that could easily have been cheesy). Chemistry between the characters like Bucky and Wilson, Spidey and Stark, etc. The action was awesome, and looked brutal. Just so much good. This one is right there with WS.

If this had been DC, they would have had crammed in Zemo taking the blood of the super soldliers, becoming super and taking on the team. Marvel just knows when to say "we've had enough" and pushes away from the table, leaving more for the future and leaving the fans satisfied but wanting more.
Old 05-06-16, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by HN

I think it was absolutely the latter, it was his way of being completely dismissive of Lang's trash talk.
Old 05-06-16, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, what did everyone think of Crossbones? I thought that fight was and was great and he looked cool, too.
Old 05-06-16, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

It was great how Steve and Tony reconciled after realizing that both their mother's name is Martha!
Old 05-06-16, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

This made $25m last night, that places second among Marvel movies (Ultron made $27.6m).
Old 05-06-16, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
It was great how Steve and Tony reconciled after realizing that both their mother's name is Martha!
Old 05-06-16, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This was fantastic. Great story and script, very serious but with enough lightheartedness that it doesn’t weigh it down too much. Action was amazing. That airport scene is going to be playing in a lot of Best Buys for demo purposes later in the year. A conflict that felt earned where the lines---literal or figurative—are very defined. Characters we’ve come to know and love thru several movies and an Amazing Spiderman. My goodness I keep coming back to that airport sequence. And on top of that, a fucking reference to Empire Strikes Back! If Spidey had said “One…more…pass…” I would have lost it. Seriously, what more could anyone ask? Definitely top 2 or 3 in the MCU.
Old 05-06-16, 10:55 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
In the Winter Soldier movie. He and Black Widow learned from Arnim Zola (as a computer). Zola began playing footage of people that WS had killed for Hydra, and the Starks' "car accident" was listed.
these are the clippings from the scene in TWS:

spoilered for size
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

(click image for larger if the forum is auto resizing)
Old 05-06-16, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Ha! At one point Tony says "he killed my mother!" and someone in the theater yelled "Martha!"
Old 05-06-16, 12:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
did it stay true to the comic? i mean at least as ending?

No. Thank goodness.
Old 05-06-16, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I have to say that Falcon was never a favorite of mine in the comic books. But in the movies so far he is pretty damn cool. I really can't say anything bad about Black Panther or Spidey neither... other then I want more NOW
Old 05-06-16, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Ha! At one point Tony says "he killed my mother!" and someone in the theater yelled "Martha!"
When Bucky said "Your mother's name is Sarah," I had a bit of a BVS flashback.
Old 05-06-16, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I just remembered one thing that bugged me. So Ross (General, not Bilbo) is the Secretary of State, but he's also the warden for a floating prison? That seemed off to me.
Old 05-06-16, 02:26 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Oh, what did everyone think of Crossbones? I thought that fight was and was great and he looked cool, too.
i thought it was a little goofy that he had the mask under the gas mask
Old 05-06-16, 02:27 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
When Bucky said "Your mother's name is Sarah," I had a bit of a BVS flashback.
"Bucky" is Cap's "Martha". i forgot which scene in particular, but someone said the name and Cap just stops in his tracks and gets all emotional
Old 05-06-16, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HN
i thought it was a little goofy that he had the mask under the gas mask
I forgot about that. I thought it was initially part of the design - didn't give it a second thought. The battering rams attached to his arms were awesome and so were those combo attack.

Fuck, in retrospect, the fight choreography was outstanding. Even Black Widow's fights were super cool.
Old 05-06-16, 02:29 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
"Bucky" is Cap's "Martha". i forgot which scene in particular, but someone said the name and Cap just stops in his tracks and gets all emotional
Crossbones/Rumlow mentions it.
Old 05-06-16, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The scene where this is taken from looked great from an action and composition/transition standpoint -

It literally looked like a painting in action.
Old 05-06-16, 02:41 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?

Fuck, in retrospect, the fight choreography was outstanding. Even Black Widow's fights were super cool.
yeah, the editing of that opening battle i didn't care for, but the choreography for Widow's fight was awesome, taking on those 2 car loads of troops and surviving the grenade!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.