Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
26.36%
31.82%
32.73%
5.45%
1.82%
0%
1.82%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 05-06-16, 02:42 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Th

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The scene where this is taken from looked great from an action and composition/transition standpoint -

It literally looked like a painting in action.
Homage to this:

Old 05-06-16, 02:46 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Th

it was a damn beautiful shot and payoff to the "put on the suit" confrontation from the A1

Old 05-06-16, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sam and Bucky giving Cap the nod after he kissed Sharon had our theater cracking up
Old 05-06-16, 03:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As much as I loved the airport battle, did no one else find the damage excessive, especially given the opening premise that the Avengers need oversight due to lack of regard for public safety and property? Look, Cap and Bucky are running for the getaway jet, we're the GOOD guys, how can we stop them? Let's cut the control tower in half so that it falls and blocks their path! It seemed like they ALL should've been arrested and imprisoned after that battle. On foreign soil. If you're going to say that the UN sanctioned Team Iron Man, what would the UN say about Iron Man recruiting a high school student as their secret weapon? There should have been some fallout for all involved following that battle.
Old 05-06-16, 03:29 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^^ didn't they say the airport was evacuated and that's what gave teamcap the heads-up that something was wrong and teamironman was on their way / there already?
Old 05-06-16, 03:31 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bigsoos
Sam and Bucky giving Cap the nod after he kissed Sharon had our theater cracking up
Bucky: "can you move your seat up?"
Falcon: "no"
Bucky (who you know at that point could push the seat through the front of the bug with his left arm): *slides over*

Old 05-06-16, 03:34 PM

Aside from that, loved the fact that both Black Widow and Black Panther have such strikingly different styles of combat, evident in every punch and kick, not just some silly signature move. It reflects their training and disciplines, and enriches the movie for me. Hell, same goes for Falcon, never a big fan in comic books, but his fighting style in the movies is extremely entertaining. Also loved Spider-Man's chattiness, and Scott Lang's geeky demeanor around Cap.
Old 05-06-16, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by HN
^^ didn't they say the airport was evacuated and that's what gave teamcap the heads-up that something was wrong and teamironman was on their way / there already?
Yeah, the definitely evacuated the airport. Still doesn't make sense, to me, that they can go ahead and DESTROY the airport with no repercussions.

Ironically, in my mind, it would've been Cap who said "Something's wrong, they're waiting for us, we can't fight them there, there will be too much damage." And Team Cap would've slinked away.
Old 05-06-16, 03:39 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shoveler
Yeah, the definitely evacuated the airport. Still doesn't make sense, to me, that they can go ahead and DESTROY the airport with no repercussions.
well, damages from the battle of new york, washington, and sokovia weren't addressed until now. so maybe a few movies down the line they'll bring up the airport again, like with some crazed supervillain coming up with some diabolical shit because those fcking A-holevengers made him miss his flight
Old 05-06-16, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maz Kanata
No. Thank goodness.
why thank goodness? would been nice to see
Spoiler:
cap dying. but im starting to think that doesnt happen
Old 05-06-16, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

Ironically, in my mind, it would've been Cap who said "Something's wrong, they're waiting for us, we can't fight them there, there will be too much damage." And Team Cap would've slinked away.
Unless they're fighting in a field or something pretty much anywhere they are there will be some damage done when they clash so I don't see it as a huge deal. At least the damage done was fairly contained and the airport was abandoned. I'm sure there would be reperrcussions but least they weren't responsible for multiple deaths in addition to the damage they did.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-06-16 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-06-16, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't Ross address it with Stark as well? Something along the lines of, "You really think I'm gonna believe you after that fiasco at ___?"
Old 05-06-16, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I mean Iron Man showing up depended on him figuring out Zemo had been masquerading as Winter Soldier and then convincing a member of Cap’s team to tell him where they were headed.

He called room service to bring him breakfast where he knew the body and the mask would be discovered and it would be revealed that it wasn't Bucky who did it. Sort of build that trust again to just destroy it with the footage.

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Only thing I thought was missing was that we didn't really see the regulation debate among the public, or any protestors. There was the mother who was pissed at Tony, but with what a big deal it was, I expected some big reaction from the public (with people on both sides of the fence), or senate hearings, shit like that. Might have been too much to add though.
I would have liked to see some of that as well, but given that the "Stamford incident" that took place in the comics to kick off the super hero registration act happened on foreign soil in the film, and how little the American public actually gives as hit about foreign incidents that we cause (constant bombings, hell we destroyed a doctors without boarders building), I think it's safe to say that it was a blip on the media news in America behind which bathrooms people are using.
Old 05-06-16, 04:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by raven56706
why thank goodness? would been nice to see
Spoiler:
cap dying. but im starting to think that doesnt happen
Technically... that wasn't part of the series... just the aftermath of it.
Old 05-06-16, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

One thing I noticed - unless I totally missed it in movie - is that the Sekovia Accords seemed to ONLY deal with the Avengers rather than the comic's bigger and more problematic "superhero registration act." That's probably my one nitpick is at the end the status quo seems a bit uncertain. Cap is in the run, but what about say Thor or Hulk? Are they 'illegal' now? Is Spidey registered with the government? What happens with say Dr Strange or Black Panther? Is superheroing itself illegal? Was the Raft built just for this? I felt a lot of action with Ross, Everett etc kind of happened offstage. And what about SHIELD?

I generally liked how the movie took the bombastic fascism metaphors of the comic and toned them down a bit though. And yes, the lack of any voice from the public except for one sad mum struck me as a bit narrow.
Old 05-06-16, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

I'm curious as to what role Bucky will play going forward. I'm sure he'll be back as Stan is still signed on for a while but I'm wondering what the circumstances will be to take him out of the cryogenic freeze he goes into. Unless Rogers does die in one of the upcoming films and we get Bucky Cap.
Old 05-06-16, 05:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
One thing I noticed - unless I totally missed it in movie - is that the Sekovia Accords seemed to ONLY deal with the Avengers rather than the comic's bigger and more problematic "superhero registration act." That's probably my one nitpick is at the end the status quo seems a bit uncertain. Cap is in the run, but what about say Thor or Hulk? Are they 'illegal' now? Is Spidey registered with the government? What happens with say Dr Strange or Black Panther? Is superheroing itself illegal? Was the Raft built just for this? I felt a lot of action with Ross, Everett etc kind of happened offstage. And what about SHIELD?

I generally liked how the movie took the bombastic fascism metaphors of the comic and toned them down a bit though. And yes, the lack of any voice from the public except for one sad mum struck me as a bit narrow.
I think Ross made it clear how he felt about Thor and Hulk being MIA for all of this. They'd probably be illegal or granted some sort of "soft" punishment due to them being MIA.

I think Spidey being w/ Stark kind of obviously shows that he's on the side of the Accords. Whether his identity is known among the government is unknown. Doubt it cuz seem like it was a quick thing for him to just join Team IM.

Black Panther is an interesting one. Being a Foreign National and all that bullshit may give him some sort of amnesty free of repercussion to a degree but Cap did mention that they'd come after him too based on him helping out Cap and such. Really wish Doom was part of the MCU knowing how much he abuses the foreign identity thing w/ laws.

Dr. Strange, i dunno. He doesn't exist yet. These are questions that don't matter yet. You're looking too far ahead for questions that that don't have context yet.

I'm pretty sure it was illegal either way aside from The Avengers group... just cuz.. as mentioned.. technically... they are vigilantes. The Avengers were allowed some freedom due to their status but also that shit had be on lockdown by the time we enter Civil War.

The Accords specifically targets The Avengers cuz they're big fish. Everybody else is a vigilante so they're illegal anyway.
-----

And AoS doesn't exist pretty much. It does and it doesn't. It is just there... narratively. And it really doesn't matter to the big picture either. Such a weird thing that show is in terms of being an almost nonexistent canon type of thing. You don't watch it... and you missed nothing. Same could be said for The Defenders...

Last edited by Solid Snake; 05-06-16 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-06-16, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Missed this part - why did stark seek out spider-man?
Old 05-06-16, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by bahgee
Missed this part - why did stark seek out spider-man?
He needed more bodies to confront Cap and his crew.
Old 05-06-16, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Saw it today. Superb. Every character got a great outing. As someone mentioned Falcon is not great in the comics but the movie version is great. All the fights were entertaining and felt fresh. Black Panther is bad ass. Ant Man was fantastic and the Giant Man sequence was awesome. Best version of Spidey ever. They really nailed him with this outing. The only person who got a little short changed was War Machine, but even he had an emotional resonance with the story. Zemo was a fantastic villain. Not the usual taking over the world rubbish. He was intelligent and the villain actually won in the end. Dividing the team. Bruhl is a great actor and would love to see more of Zemo in the future. The biggest laugh in the cinema was for Tony Stank by Stan the Man. The triple kick by Black Panther was very cool.

Marvel did it again. This is how you build up to a conflict and treat characters with respect.

Writing on my phone, so not gonna write much more. But the de-aging thing with Downey was incredible. They did an amazing job with Michael Douglas in Ant Man and this was truly spectacular.
Old 05-06-16, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ckw4b
He needed more bodies to confront Cap and his crew.
Yep. Black Widow mentions them being "understaffed" but that she has a trump card downstairs (Black Panther). She then asks Tony, "where's yours?" Cut to Queens.
Old 05-06-16, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Saw this earlier today. Was shocked that there were only about a dozen people at the showing I went to (3pm).

Anyway, really enjoyed the movie. The airport scene was the best action scene in any superhero movie so far.

Nat and Scarlet Witch looked great...that outfit of SW's at the airport...

This is a minor pet peeve, but when Bucky is choking you with his metal arm, you should be instantly dead. He could crush a throat with ease. And before anyone tells me he didn't want to hurt anyone, he definitely was when he was under that hypnosis or whatever.

The villain was meh, even though I'm a fan of Daniel Bruhl.

Black Panther kicked ass. Thought the new kid playing Spiderman was good too.

I guess my one question stems from the ending...the movie ended as if it was Part I of a bigger story...I take it the two Infinity War movies are going to pick up where this movie left off? If this was a standalone story, that would be kinda disappointing.
Old 05-06-16, 07:26 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Yep. Black Widow mentions them being "understaffed" but that she has a trump card downstairs (Black Panther). She then asks Tony, "where's yours?" Cut to Queens.
You could feel the buzz going through the audience during that scene like "here we go, we're finally gonna get spidey. Please don't fck it up, please don't fck it". Then reveal tony sitting with aunt may and everyone's just utterly giddy
Old 05-06-16, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Just back from a decently filled theater. I will have my regular review tomorrow, but my initial reaction - holy cow, that was an entertaining movie. The airport battle is one of the coolest things ever committed to film, and the audience was laughing in delight all the way through it.
Old 05-06-16, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Surely I am not the only one who caught the very subtle shout-out to
Spoiler:
Agent Carter's nemesis. In the conversation between Steve and Bucky, they mentioned Bucky trying to win a bear for a red head. "Her name was Dolores, but everyone called her Dottie." Dottie was part of the same program that eventually produced Black Widow, who is also a red head.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.